Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What is it?
Atomic Robo is a story about action, adventure, robots and most importantly SCIENCE! The series, written by Brian Clevinger with art by Scott Wegener, is a fun, pulpy adventure series starring a robot created by Nikola Tesla and his adventures ranging from before World War 2 to the modern era dealing with foes ranging from gangsters to Nazis to time traveling dinosaurs.

Cast of Characters

The Good Guys
Atomic Robo:

Built by Tesla he travels the world with the Action Scientists of Tesladyne solving problems with action science and guns and bombs.

Jenkins:

The lone survivor of the Vampire Dimension. Jenknis is tough as nails and isn't afraid of anything or anyone.

The Action Scientists: Robo's go to paramilitary force that help him save the day with action science.

The Bad Guys
H'ssssk Dr. Dinosaur:

The dumbest smartest dinosaur ever. He and Robo don't get along. Also you can follow him on twitter.

Baron Heinrich Von Helsingard:

A Nazi scientist first fought by robo in 1939. He's been a thorn in the side of Tesladyne ever since.

Of course there's more characters than this but if you want to know more go buy a trade and start reading! Which brings us to...

Where to start?
ANYWHERE! The best part of this series is that you can pick up any trade and be all set. There are some references to previous stories but nothing you absolutely have to catch to understand the story. Though really if you read one you're going to want to read the rest because it's just that drat good.

Volume 1: Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

The first Robo adventure introducing you to Tesladyne and it's action scientists. In this volume alone Robo stops a Nazi supervillain from conquering the world, fights giant ants and does combat with robot mummies. This is just good comic
book fun pure and simple. I would suggest starting here just because it's the first one and gives you an idea of what to look forward to.

Volume 2: Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War

The second adventure puts Robo behind the scenes of World War 2 to stop nazi mechs from turning the tides of battle. This turns into a web of intrigue involving British spys and genetically engineered monstrosities. Probably one of the darker stories in the series.

Volume 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond time

The third story has the universe in danger of being destroyed by a non-linear, non-euclidean, Lovecraftean horror and only Robo, Robo, Robo and Robo can save the day.

Volume 4: Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness

This volume is packed chock full of ACTION SCIENCE. It features vampires, kaiju, dinosaurs and ghosts! According to Wikipedia it also has some mini-stories that hadn't been printed before but I don't own this one yet so no idea if that's right or not.

Volume 5: Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science

The Deadly Art of Science takes place in the life of young Robo. This Robo is young and innocent spending his time helping Tesla around the lab reading pulp fiction until he ends up wrapped up in a daring tale of intrigue of his own! Teaming up with a real life pulp crime fighter they fight gangsters in cahoots with dark forces beyond human understanding!

Volume 6: Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X

The most recent mini to conclude begins with Robo flying to the emergency rescue of astronauts in jeopardy and finding a web of danger that had been in the works for decades! Will robo survive to solve the mystery of Station x!?

Ongoing series Atomic Robo Real Science Adventures

A new series with only one issue out so far. It's untold tales of Robo through his life. Issue two comes out May second.

Where to get it?
Now that you know more about the series you're probably asking yourself "But where can I get this fine series? I MUST HAVE IT!" And to that I have to say many places! Your local comic shop should have it in stock and if they don't will be more than willing to order if for you. If you don't have a local shop and want to get trades you can always use Amazon or In Stock Trades. If you want singles I don't exactly know where to get those but if someone posts it I'll edit that in no problem. You can find digital copies for absurdly low prices at Comixology if digital or absurdly low prices are your thing!

If you want to get your feet wet here's some :siren:FREE:siren: Robo comics:
FCBD 2008
FCBD 2009
FCBD 2010
FCBD 2011
FCBD 2012
The Yonkers Devil
MXII
The Getaway
Rescue Mission
The Lizard Man
Nikola Tesla’s Electric Sky Schooner (From Adventures In Science)

What are you still doing reading this? Go read Atomic Robo!

Links!
Official Website
The Team Robot Manifesto
Tesladyne Orientation Video
Audio Commentary for Volume 7 (and maybe beyond)
Coming this June Atomic Robo Volume 7 The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific. Here's what I've been able to find about it: "It's called The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific. If there's another combination of English words that could better sell you on a comic book than those, it probably involves 'give you' and 'a million dollars.'"

And there was a recent kickstarter to fund the production of an Atomic Robo animated short. It succeeded with flying colors! Production of the short is set to resume in June. And there were enough donations to get a Dr. Dinosaur Pinball game made for computers and iThings.

If I'm missing anything let me know and I'll get it added in.

Len fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Forum goon Hyperactive is really Mr. Clevinger and has been answering various questions in the thread. Feel free to ask him things!

When do we see Robo punching Hitler?
Never, actually! We try to let real historical figures keep their real historical accomplishments. Atomic Robo isn't about a robot who solved racism when he stopped the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Kennedy. It's about a robot who put an end to the top secret Nazi Special Weapons Division which allowed the Allied Forces to advance into Europe.

I was really worried from the first two volumes that I was getting a watery version of hellboy. Near-invulnerable wizecracking weirdness-weary protagonist fistfights nazis, then a nazi brain in a jar, then the ghost of rasputin (which had to be a direct homage, right?) then coming next: cthulhu horrors? I know I'm not just cherry picking similarities, hellboy must have been a big influence on the whole style and feel of the early volumes.

No one believes this, but: nope.

I'd been working on Robo since 1996. My exposure to Hellboy prior to the films was seeing graphic novel covers at Barnes & Noble. I never picked one up, but my assumption was that Hellboy was the head monster the people fought.

Then the movie came out and I finally cracked down to read some of the books.

Whoooooops.

It's easy to draw similarities, but you can do it with Batman and Spider-Man too. But no one does. Because they've been around forever, so each one has had time to mark out its specific territory. We did the WW2 and Cthulhu stories first to dive right into Hellboy's domain. The similarities are obvious, so it behooved us to get straight to the counter examples to show what's different: the humor, the tone, the pacing, the use of time, the role of history, Robo's relationship to the people he knows and humanity at large, etc.

Volume 3 was specifically engineered to be the Little Mac uppercut to the Hellboy comparison and by and large it worked.

Len fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2012

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Honestly after strip 1221 I wondered what Brian was going to do with himself.

Good to see his endeavors have done well.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I write the Robos. Got a question? I probably have the answer!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

Brian?

If so, did you really hold that chekov's gun for nine years or just roll with it later?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, good job with the OP, Len. Probably break the lines between the initial text, maybe even add links to where to buy the trades, but otherwise, good job, son.

Hey, Brian, since you are here, are there plans for more Warbot in Accounting? I need my life to be more depressing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Is there anything you feel the thread needs?

Also are the Dr. Dinosaur figures ever getting a reprint? I have the disposable income for one now but didn't when they were released.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

StealthArcher posted:

If so, did you really hold that chekov's gun for nine years or
Yup.

It's no more difficult than holding one for a year or a month. Just longer. 8-bit was full of gags with gaps between set up and delivery on the order of months or years, that one was just the longest.

Robo has something similar going on. We mapped out a hundred years of history before we started, and we go out of our way to avoid linearity between volumes. So, we're able to hint at or set up events past, present, and future and to do it without most people noticing.

The most recent example is that the events of Vol 6 set up Vol 8, which dovetails right into Vol 9 and 10. But there are seeds planted as far back as Issue 1 of Vol 1 that we haven't seen sprout yet. While Vol 7 is the story of why Robo seems a little short on cash in one issue of Vol 3.

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, Brian, since you are here, are there plans for more Warbot in Accounting? I need my life to be more depressing.
We'd like to do more. The existing material sets up a kind of story line that upon completion might just out-depress everything we've done so far. But it's hard as hell for Zack and I to get our schedules to line up.

Len posted:

Is there anything you feel the thread needs?
Links to Atomic-Robo.com. Maybe the Team Robo Manifesto. Our absurdly low priced digital issues and collected editions. And some free comics.

quote:

Also are the Dr. Dinosaur figures ever getting a reprint?
Probably yes, but I'm not sure when.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Added those links in for you.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

Atomic Robo is great. I shove it in all of my friends' hands the second I find out they might ever possibly enjoy reading a comic book.

My boss' husband just had dinner with Brian. I was very jealous.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

StealthArcher posted:

If so, did you really hold that chekov's gun for nine years or just roll with it later?

Which one is this we're talking about?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Brian,

Who would win in a super science battle? Atomic Robo or Buckaroo Banzai?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Nilbop posted:

Which one is this we're talking about?
This is the set up in 2001, and this is the pay off in 2010.

Manwithastick posted:

Never, actually! We try to let real historical figures keep their real historical accomplishments. Atomic Robo isn't about a robot who solved racism when he stopped the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Kennedy. It's about a robot who put an end to the top secret Nazi Special Weapons Division which allowed the Allied Forces to advance into Europe.

And so on.

BooDoug187 posted:

Who would win in a super science battle? Atomic Robo or Buckaroo Banzai?
I think they'd be smart enough to work together.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

Given Robo's level of sapient intelligence, do we ever at least get a dream sequence of him punching Hitler?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

This is the set up in 2001, and this is the pay off in 2010.

And so on.

Surely super science will allow a Robo Vs Hitler's brain story?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manwithastick posted:

Or a Robo vs a Hitler clone/robot? Seriously though this is one of the best fun comics I've read in a long time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I regret to say that I have been lapsing in my regular Robo purchasing habits lately but will attempt to pick them back up post haste. Moving to cities without any dedicated comics stores will do that :(

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, they ship out the FCBD stuff to shops a bit early, and I couldn't help but flip through the Robo issue while tidying up our back room the other day. Pure gold, as always.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Just thought I'd mention that I bought vol. 1 solely because of this thread, and I am really enjoying it. The art and the humor are exactly my kind of thing. I'll be looking to pick up the other vols. very soon.

On that note, is it just me, or is everyone sold out of vol. 3?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Just thought I'd mention that I bought vol. 1 solely because of this thread, and I am really enjoying it. The art and the humor are exactly my kind of thing. I'll be looking to pick up the other vols. very soon.

I think volume three is out of print at the moment but it should be back soon (I hope)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

StealthArcher posted:

Given Robo's level of sapient intelligence, do we ever at least get a dream sequence of him punching Hitler?
If only Robo slept and could therefore dream!

Manwithastick posted:

Helsingard is all the mad science brains we need.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I regret to say that I have been lapsing in my regular Robo purchasing habits lately but will attempt to pick them back up post haste. Moving to cities without any dedicated comics stores will do that :(
I'd suggest Midtown Comics for issues or Amazon for trades, and ComiXology for digital.

bairfanx posted:

So, they ship out the FCBD stuff to shops a bit early, and I couldn't help but flip through the Robo issue while tidying up our back room the other day. Pure gold, as always.
Glad to hear it. We knew people would expect a lot from a Robo and Dr. Dinosaur team up story. Our hope was to get half way to those expectations and hope for the best.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Vol 3 is currently sold out and we're not entirely sure when it will be back in print. Hopefully late 2012. But like it says in the OP, you can read the collected editions in any order so you're not going to lose anything if you have to skip this one for now.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

If only Robo slept and could therefore dream!
He's really never tried to sleep when he was really wanting to be human? I never really felt like he got overly sad, but there have been multiple times he's certainly seemed to want to experience human things (like citizenship or a relationship)

Hyperactive posted:

Glad to hear it. We knew people would expect a lot from a Robo and Dr. Dinosaur team up story. Our hope was to get half way to those expectations and hope for the best.
The only Robo stuff I've been less than enthusiastic about was the second volume, which was still enjoyable. The FCBD issues are routinely the best of the books released that day, putting the others to shame.

Hyperactive posted:

Vol 3 is currently sold out and we're not entirely sure when it will be back in print. Hopefully late 2012. But like it says in the OP, you can read the collected editions in any order so you're not going to lose anything if you have to skip this one for now.
You can read them in any order, but I'll be damned if that third volume isn't the best. Our LCS has at least one copy, maybe two, Musashi, if you're interested in covering cost+shipping, shoot me a PM. There's digital too, of course, which is a steal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bairfanx posted:

He's really never tried to sleep when he was really wanting to be human? I never really felt like he got overly sad, but there have been multiple times he's certainly seemed to want to experience human things (like citizenship or a relationship)

The only Robo stuff I've been less than enthusiastic about was the second volume, which was still enjoyable. The FCBD issues are routinely the best of the books released that day, putting the others to shame.

You can read them in any order, but I'll be damned if that third volume isn't the best. Our LCS has at least one copy, maybe two, Musashi, if you're interested in covering cost+shipping, shoot me a PM. There's digital too, of course, which is a steal.

I don't have PM's but if Musashi doesn't want it or they have two copies I'd be willing to pay for it plus shipping.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bairfanx posted:

He's really never tried to sleep when he was really wanting to be human?

I never really felt like he got overly sad, but there have been multiple times he's certainly seemed to want to experience human things (like citizenship or a relationship)
Robo doesn't want to be human though. He wanted to possess "human" rights and citizenship, but that's more a matter of dignity and ethics. Robo isn't a human, but he is a person. Since he was the first non-human thing with human-like intelligence in his world, he was brought into a legal loophole where he was technically a piece of property. People should not be property.

Robo has no interest in being human. He's ageless, super strong, super tough, never gets tired, and he has the equivalent of an iPad 5 with an unlimited dataplan lodged in his head. He's having a ball being not human.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
If you guys want to hear Clev talk about some bullshit for like an hour, this is the link for you:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/23/war-rocket-ajax-109-brian-clevinger-talks-real-science-and-p/

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

I don't have PM's but if Musashi doesn't want it or they have two copies I'd be willing to pay for it plus shipping.

I'll let you know after I pick up my books on Wednesday

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Intriguing. I'm not much for digital, though...I much prefer having physical copies of things, space be damned. I do appreciate your generous offer, but I'll give Len first crack at it. If your store does happen to have 2 copies, though, then I'd take the second.

No PMs here either, but my email is r_howard33 at hotmail dot com if you need to contact me. Thanks again.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Benito Cereno posted:

If you guys want to hear Clev talk about some bullshit for like an hour, this is the link for you:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/23/war-rocket-ajax-109-brian-clevinger-talks-real-science-and-p/
I have the worst Nerd Voice!

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
When we gonna see more Nuka Break?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I may throw this out here: If Atomic Robo were made into an animated series (hypothetically, of course), do you have anyone in mind for certain characters?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

The Werle posted:

When we gonna see more Nuka Break?
That's up to you.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I may throw this out here: If Atomic Robo were made into an animated series (hypothetically, of course), do you have anyone in mind for certain characters?
I keep coming back to the not-so-obvious choice of Ron Livingston. You may know him as the star of Office Space. He has a tired delivery that I think would work well with Robo. And he's got both the comedy and emotional chops to pull off a well-rounded performance without tripping over either end of the spectrum.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Hyperactive posted:

Wow, I need to see if my LCS has any copies, then. Just picked up Vol 2 before PAX East. This is one of the few books I tell everyone to read.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Hyperactive posted:

That's up to you.

WELL FINE :colbert: I gave them :10bux:, happy?!?!? (I am)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Intriguing. I'm not much for digital, though...I much prefer having physical copies of things, space be damned. I do appreciate your generous offer, but I'll give Len first crack at it. If your store does happen to have 2 copies, though, then I'd take the second.

No PMs here either, but my email is r_howard33 at hotmail dot com if you need to contact me. Thanks again.

Apparently we did sell the one or two we had, sorry guys :smith:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

The Werle posted:

WELL FINE :colbert: I gave them :10bux:, happy?!?!? (I am)
Yup!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Apparently we did sell the one or two we had, sorry guys :smith:

No worries--thanks for checking for us. I'll just have to wait until it comes back into print.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hyper, you need friggin' PMs!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Hyper, you need friggin' PMs!

I can be contacted on The Twitter or my dumb site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I was really worried from the first two volumes that I was getting a watery version of hellboy. Near-invulnerable wizecracking weirdness-weary protagonist fistfights nazis, then a nazi brain in a jar, then the ghost of rasputin (which had to be a direct homage, right?) then coming next: cthulhu horrors? I know I'm not just cherry picking similarities, hellboy must have been a big influence on the whole style and feel of the early volumes.

However from shadow from beyond time onwards it's really become its own thing, robo in particular getting fleshed out. Extremely enjoyable and unusually funny for a print comic. I'm especially loving all the semi-realistic science dialogue. "It couldn't have worked that way, it wasn't a xenon laser", "So why did it work?", "Good question, work up a treatment and we'll get you a lab to find out". Someone involved here must have worked in research before.

How often are these released digitally?

• Locked thread