Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Didn't see it mentioned, but it looks like Comixology now has the collected version of Vol. 7 up to buy now. I don't have much space, so I prefer getting what few comics I do get (and Robo is always a must-have) digitally whenever possible so I'm glad to see it up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

That was basically my response, I just didn't want to sound ungrateful for more Robo in the thread. I was, in fact, just about to order up a copy from Amazon when my paycheck came in today since Comixology seemed to have abandoned me. Instead they, and you, get more of my money for the good things you do.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

The more backers we have, the more funds we have to put into fulfilling orders as a total, but at the same time the individual cost of each item goes down. So, it's a balancing act. We're sure we won't lose money on the campaign, but we aren't entirely sure if we'll make a profit.

Or, more accurately, we're pretty sure we'll make a profit, but it might be such a thin slice of the $100,000+, and then split between us, that we may as well have broken even. If that makes sense.

But, hey, fans have been asking for this kind of stuff for years, so let's give it to 'em. Profits be damned.

I'm still extremely excited for my hardcover book and coffee mug, seriously. And I'm really excited that it managed to top $100,000. I was actually getting a little worried that it'd die off towards the end and fall just short, but now we all get bigger books!

Seriously though, I really appreciate you guys doing this. It's really cool and I hope that you can either do it again in the future, or spawn a Robo merchandising empire out of it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

That is the plan! If we can't found an empire, we'll just make new campaigns with different but also cool goodies.

What I'm getting from this is you won't be happy until you have all of our money, forever. Should we just start telling our banks to direct deposit paychecks to your account?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Fairly early on I had a sense that we could break $100,000 but that it would be close. Everything from $110k+ has been a delightful surprise.

The other big surprise, for me, is the relative lack of success for the Dr. Dinosaur tiers. I suppose there's a limit to what most people will spend on total frivolous novelty. Lesson learned!

I have a biology class starting in a couple weeks, and I've been really tempted to buy one of the two tiers with a lab coat entirely to wear it to class, eventually. I'm pretty sure they won't fit me, though (I'm a typical fat goon) and it'd be fairly late into the semester to start something like that.

That said, I keep looking at that $600 "get all the things" level and mentally poking at my budget to see if it won't cough up extra money.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Look, I love atomic robo, spent some money on this very kickstarter, but seriously:

If you have consider your budget for a $600 expenditure, don't blow that on a kickstarter. i.e. Most people shouldn't spend $600 on a kickstarter.

Oh yeah, I know. That doesn't mean I don't wish a few grand would magically plop out of my budget when I strike it about the face and ears. I'm perfectly content with the things I'm getting, honestly.

It's less "I wish I had more money to spend on a kickstarter" and more "I wish I had more money to spend."

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Len posted:

Is it supposed to be a link to a reply box?

Wherein he explained already that due to the overwhelming success of the Kickstarter they've had to push everything, including survey emails, back a ways. Personally I wouldn't expect a survey until closer to mid-October, and I'd also probably expect a post in this thread when they get sent out.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Len posted:

Clicking it in the Awful App opens up a browser with a blank reply box. Sorry to strike a nerve though.

Edit: I guess it wasn't letting it load enough because now it's jumping from the reply box to hallway down a page.

Nah, didn't mean to come across as snappy if I did. I just thought you weren't getting why it redirected to a previous reply of his, and was trying to clarify.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

unl33t posted:

Woo-hoo! Just filled out my survey from Kickstarter, so make sure to check your email fellow recruits.

Ditto! Can't wait for the results, it's going to be great. I'm giving one of my shirts to a friend, I just hope I chose the better one (Robo) to keep for myself.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Dr. **** *******, Ph.D, Field Media Relations; MS, Violent Science.

You know, I was assuming a "Dr." or some other bit would be thrown in by default but suddenly I'm scared my assumptions have made an rear end out of me. :ohdear:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

That wasn't the plan, but now I'm thinkin' about it...

I'm not here to tell you your business or anything, but...

Jedi425 posted:

Gonna end up with a lot of Dr. Dr.'s in there. Doctor doctors. With degrees in doctology.

This seems like it'd be a fantastic outcome of that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Glad to see packages getting out into the world!

Some folks shared pictures of their hauls online and, uh, wow. I did not realize there was so much stuff. Turns out delivering a dozen objects to thousands of people is super difficult.

Our next campaign will be much more focused for speedier delivery. Most of the work for it is already done :ssh:

I haven't gotten anything from this campaign yet, and I'd still give you money on the next one.

I think I have a spending problem.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Yes, you do, but I like it. Our next project isn't related to Robo, so that might help you. Then again, it's the sort of thing 95% of all Robo fans should be interested in anyway. You may be boned regardless!

Given I've been following you since shortly after 8-Bit Theater started, and I don't even remember how long ago that was, there's a very good chance I'm boned regardless.

Speaking of comics, I should go catch up on those...

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Len posted:

I'd be interested in a pbp for it too of someone wanted to start one.

To be honest I considered it but I've never had good luck with PBPs, and I feel like I wouldn't do the setting justice and that'd just be awkward with Hyperactive being around and all.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I...I don't...Why would you do that? What the gently caress is wrong with people? This is why we can't have nice things.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Endless Mike posted:

I still haven't gotten a shipping notification for my Kickstarter stuff. :(

You're not alone, buddy. I've decided not to worry until Hyperactive starts talking about how everything has shipped and I still haven't gotten a notification yet, then I'll panic. Then I'll panic so hard.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Pretty much the only reason I'm not going to back it immediately is because I don't trust myself to remember to have the money set aside for it when the campaign ends. That said, I'ma back the poo poo out of that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
A few Robo things:

1. Apparently I didn't mention it before, but I got my Kickstarter stuff a couple months ago and it is all absolutely fantastic. I'm looking forward to being able to buy more Robo merch in the future.

2. How does Patreon work? If, say, I was to back it now would I be charged immediately or does it only start taking effect the first of the following month? They have a few FAQs on billing but I'm not very smart and figured I'd ask people who might have experience.

3. The $50 and $100 levels, those are one time only rewards, right? You're not going to force Scott to do a new commission for up to ten people every month, right?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gaz-L posted:

This is how Robo and Helsingard sound in your head too, isn't it?

Everyone is Cobra Commander in his head. Including himself. It gets confusing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I was going to say that it could turn out that someone else is behind Doc Dino and it'd come up eventually, but guess not. I kind of like the mystery, the "maybe he's right, maybe he's not" kind of deal. Reminds me a little of the Joker.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Whether you do it now or at the end of the campaign, the cash is pulled at the same time: within like an hour of the campaign ending. I think that's June 5th for us.

Either way: good luck!

There's also a, I believe, five to seven day period after the campaign ends to change your billing information! That's come in handy for me in the past, where I knew I would be broke right when a campaign ended but would get paid a couple days later.

My problem with this one is I want all 9 as hardcover but would have to sell bodily fluids to afford it, and I haven't been able to convince myself just yet that I'm willing to settle for a partial collection.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Get some now, buy the rest later. Duhhhhhhhhhh.

That'd be more expensive overall, but at least it's an expense you could spread out over a few months or a year or something.

You know, if you found a way to turn Robo into a substance I could just inject between my toes I feel like this whole thing would be way more honest about what it really is.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
And now begins the long wait for gorgeous hardcovers.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
There's still a lot that could happen with Robo before this point, if you wanted to go back and tell those stories. I was half-expecting a volume or two of one-shots set at various points in Robo's past with the framing device being the remaining Tesladyne employees trying to find some way to bring him back when the jumpers didn't work.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Hey. Life is short. Find something you can tolerate ASAP!

My favorite thing about Warbot is the final storyline we have planned for it. I have no idea if we'll ever have a chance to work on it, which is probably a good thing, because it honestly makes the rest of it look like a pleasant walk in the park.

I'm shoving my wallet at the screen but it doesn't seem to be making this happen, please advise.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Every time I see that panel my desire for Robo Action Figures wells up anew.

God I want some good Atomic Robo action figures.

I'm pretty sure if they started doing a line of figures and/or statues I'd never have money again. I'd just drive down to Hyperactive's house every payday, hand him my check, and take my toys.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

You think you got it bad, we plan these things years before you even hear of them!

So, The Ring of Fire will be followed by The Temple of Od and that's followed by, uh, poo poo, I don't think we have a name for the one after that yet. We should figure that one out.

After that we have a toss up. We're doing all of these eventually, we just don't know in what order. Definitely not chronological though, 'cause that's boring. Also it behooves us to cut back to the present day for every second or third story to see how things are progressing in The Weird Future.

There's our big '60s spy escapade with The Spear of Destiny. This would be the Sparrow II story. Probably Sparrow I too. She still hates Robo.

Or our big '70s blaxploitation (botsploitation?) opus with Diamonds are for Never. Heroes for Hire crossed with Leverage in the 1970s. Also, I appreciate the irony that we're not using the Bond-like title for the Bond-like story.

Or our big '80s cyberpunk foray with The Mirrorshade Overdrive. Wargames by way of Project Daedalus.

Or our big '90s action movie romp with The Soldiers of Fortune. A bunch of old school Cold War science agents get dragged out of retirement for one last big mission to save the world.

These things. All of them. They all sound amazing. Is there any way to just do, like, all of them at once?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

There's a couple things you can do.

SOLID ADVICE

This is all really good stuff, I think for running any game set in a universe where there's one or two characters who everyone might want to play. The other thing I'd note is that, despite expectations, you'd be surprised how often nobody wants to play as that Obvious Character. Settings like Atomic Robo are fertile enough ground for new characters that a lot of players aren't going to want to stick to the "easy" option of playing Robo.

That said, Hyperactive, how weird is it to play your own comic book character in a game based on said comic book character?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Covok posted:

I was out all Labor Day weekend with my mates so I just saw all these awesome suggestions. You all made some good points and they really helped. I was, honestly, overthinking things.

Be on the lookout as the recruit thread should be up by weeks end.

Would you mind dropping a line in here? I check this thread way more often than I do TG, and I'd be interesting in giving it a shot.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
If Robo ends up crystal powered, I might have to drive to wherever Hyperactive is and buy him a beer.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Page before most recent, weren't they building Robo's right hand (to go with his shiny new right arm) first?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Something I think people forget, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, it's just something I've noticed in general discussion of Atomic Robo, is that humor isn't the main element of the book. Ghostbusters is comedy with some action. Indiana Jones is action with some comedy. We spend most of our time closer to the Indy end of that spectrum.

This is pretty much how I've always sold Atomic Robo to other people. "It's Indiana Jones with more SCIENCE and also he's a robot." Typically if that doesn't immediately sexually arouse them I can safely assume they're alien imposters and not real humans and react accordingly.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Carrasco posted:

So I just caught up from the start of Ring of Fire. I'm not sure reading it update by update would work for me, but it was a pretty satisfying read so far.

I keep wanting to stop and wait for Ring of Fire to finish but every day I want more and I can't stop myself. I thought I had a Robo addiction before, but this daily business has ruined me.

Len posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Atomic Robo game since I bought it but the book was a good read. I'll definitely pick up more supplements if they expand on lore and setting stuff.

Same. I've been wanting to play the game, and even kicked around a few ideas here and there. Everyone I play with sucks at long-term campaigns, especially me, and Robo seems like a great game for one-offs that build into a bigger overall picture. But so far no luck.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
This conversation is (part of) why I love this book.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mortanis posted:

Fantastic voyage? Does it still count if biomega are so large they don't really need to shrink in order to pop in and wreak havoc?

I've decided this story has to end with Robo using 100% of his (China's) power to just directly beat all the biomega to death. And/or buy time for a better plan. :ssj:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Superstring posted:

Preeeeeetty sure this is ending with Robo getting satellite flung at the bio island.

I still want him to use 100% of China's his power to go Super Saiyan Robo and atomic punch something.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hopefully people don't mind me posting about the RPG here, but folks might like to know that the current Evil Hat kickstarter will include the Majestic 12 sourcebook.

Not gonna lie, I backed that entirely for the Robo book. I guess the superhero one sounds neat too, but I need me more Robo. I think it might be a serious medical condition.

Hyperactive posted:

It's fun!

Sorta.

It's at least in the same neighborhood as fun!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Just got my survey for the hardcover kickstarter! So excited to get them!

Same, on all accounts!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Hey, Hyperactive, do you have any way of knowing if there's still books in transit? Mine supposedly shipped back in mid-August and now DHL says they never heard of me, not sure if that's Working As Intended or if I need to put on my panic pants and/or what to do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Done, thanks!

And yeah, I've been using the global tracker. It had been showing updates, then stopped.

• Locked thread