Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Lovely. It looks as if it could be modified into a tileset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, and if it were I'd love to play that game.

Some more odd Deltarune fanart.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
'Destroy him, my robots.'

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

1 - Scut, your palettes and color choices are A++. I always want to do cool color ramps like that, but I get scared a lot. I also stick to a palette really hard and very rarely deviate.

2 - What tools do people here use for pixel art? I got Aseprite and I love it, but I am looking for something more robust for making tiled pixel art like Pyxel Edit. AFAIK Aseprite's tiling tools only go as far as duplicating one tile in the cardinal/diagonal directions. Pyxel Edit's ability to make a tile map and edit one tile to effect all tiles globally seems like it's way better than Aseprite. I don't know what the rest of the field looks like, but I'm open to suggestions as well.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The work I've been posting for Infinite Sustain is mostly using a palette I found online. I'm pretty sure it started at around 20 - 24 colours and I've expanded it with a few. I've made my own palettes in the past and I think I'm decent at it but I would strongly recommend trying out palettes that you find. Pixel artists and video games are an obvious source but also posters, film and animation are a great source of inspiration and sampling. Not every palette needs to be general purpose, but what is usually more important is to have a good grading of values (how 'bright' the colours are) from darkest dark to lightest light. When I'm making a palette I prefer to work in an HSV scale rather than RGB because it makes it easier to control my saturation and value.

One of my favourite things is a trick I learned from the Commodore 64 palette; use greys as neutral bridges between two swatches. Adding a grey onto an area of warm tone cools it down, while placing it onto a cool region will make the grey appear warmer. I don't really do dithering but I know greys are a great tool to expand the effective size of a palette with dithers. The grey tones will also act as good milestones for spreading your palette evenly, and you can use them as a neutral starting palette when roughing out a drawing.

As for tools, I'd say you are fully equipped with Aseprite and Pyxel Edit. They are all I use now. Aseprite for sprites and paint-like operations and Pyxel for tilesets.

If you post your work on Twitter I recommend the LoSpec pixel art uploader because it makes posting crisp pixels to twitter fool-proof.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

God, the Commodore 64 palette and all the good art made with it blew up what I understood about pixel art.

Working on a logo inspired by Z1's cartridge.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rotary wing drone

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This is what I'm upta atm. I needed another break from the other game.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

This is what I'm upta atm. I needed another break from the other game.

This looks nicely unified.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I can get down with Red Dead Zelda DX

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

This is about 32px too tall to be NES size, but even then I'm surprised at how tall that screen is. Cv is proving to be a little harder than Zelda, so we'll see how far this one goes. The marble in the second part of this stage is pretty hard, and the tiles are actually 8x8 instead of 16x16... Lots of messiness all around

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I will never stop sneering at the NES palette but y'all make it look pretty good I must admit.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

You talking to me? That's not the NES Palette... I definutely don't like to follow those rules lol

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hah. Okay my mistake.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

anothergod posted:

I can get down with Red Dead Zelda DX

Yeh?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/BITSOFCROM/status/1073323869178658817

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I believe that's what the kids refer to as "aesthetic". Well done!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Was being brought on to try and help remake some freeware shmup from 2002 or something, though I don't know what's going to happen with it at this point. I'll find out soon enough.
Anyway, old sprite:

and my redo:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Rarely am I into super faithful remakes, but that looks both very faithful and very good.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

anothergod posted:

Rarely am I into super faithful remakes, but that looks both very faithful and very good.

To be honest, I ended up taking alot of liberties in spaces that were incomprehensible or just REALLY ugly on it. Namely, some spaces i just added alot more meaty muscle gunk where there was none, and getting rid of that awful front wing bit. If I were kept on to do more of these things, total redesigns would have been in order, as there's sprites in much worse condition than this one was.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Heh, yeah, a few places were gibberish. I'm glad you cleaned it up.

Has anyone here sold art asset packs? I just released my first pixel art pack on itch.io, and a lot of people have been asking me about my CC-BY-SA4.0 license. All of them have asked me if "I'm sure I want to use that license", so... I'm wondering if anyone here's got insight on if I do, haha.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

anothergod posted:

Heh, yeah, a few places were gibberish. I'm glad you cleaned it up.

Has anyone here sold art asset packs? I just released my first pixel art pack on itch.io, and a lot of people have been asking me about my CC-BY-SA4.0 license. All of them have asked me if "I'm sure I want to use that license", so... I'm wondering if anyone here's got insight on if I do, haha.

If you don’t want people to use your stuff, it’s not a bad one.

Probably you want something that will let them use it commercially if you’re selling it to them. IANAL, but I won’t touch CCbySA stuff at all. Because the terms are obviously not reasonable for what I would want them for.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

By-SA faces some real difficulties in interpretation. A reasonable interpretation is that only direct derivatives of the assets themselves have to be released under the same license, but there is some fear that it might work out to requiring the entire project or any touching assets to be released under the same license, which would be a huge mess. When I was making openly licensed game art I gave up and licensed it CC-By (and OGA-By to avoid concerns about the anti-DRM clause in CC-By).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hello pixel art thread. i do more "adventure game background" style pixel art but i could use a critique right now

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Idk I have no critique really. It's a little low contrast maybe and some of the details are lost unless you're looking for them but I'm reaching. Perspective and tone are cool as hell. I like how smoggy it is outside and how clear the air seems to be inside. Architecture looks nice.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'd say extend the dithering over the buildings to really sell the smog but that sounds like a huge pain in the rear end.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

hello pixel art thread. i do more "adventure game background" style pixel art but i could use a critique right now

The background is good but the foreground is really lacking contrast / dynamic range. It is difficult to make out the roof and windowframe forms yet I can see art down in what appears to be a dim room popping out.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I like it! I think I'd like to see more contrast in the foreground and less in the cityscape. I dig that you can see the art inside!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Working on a game?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Nah, it was just a mockup for the Pixelation secret santa

15 coloursss

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Neat.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Heyyy I made a knight.

Edit - tweaked a few things, improved the helmet. And made an Orc!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 22, 2019

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Knice knight!
You have some banding on the sword, as well as some broken highlights across the armor. You couls probably get a generally brighter, more metallic look by using some of the whites from the sword for highlights. I am on mobile now but I'll try to remember to pull it up tomorrow with some more specific technical points if you'd like.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Please do! I'm always looking to improve, and there's always another little trick to learn.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

McKilligan posted:

Edit - tweaked a few things, improved the helmet. And made an Orc!

Those look really nice. Way better light sourcing than on the previous draft.

I really love Cogmind's sprites and it has got me hankering for quickly read roguelike art that can be colour swapped easily.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Alrighty. First, here are a few example of banding on the sprite. Banding is basically lining up bands of progressively lighter colors, forming these stairstep patterns. While at first it seems like this should make thing smoother, it actually means that the seams between the same-colored clusters of pixel all line up, and paradoxically make it look less smooth. It also generally gives you a blurry messy look. Antialiasing is better placed just in the corners you want to smooth, not across the entire transition between lighter and darker colors.

Other general thoughts: some areas of the sprite are kind of messy. This is partially caused by using black lines to convey fine details--black outlines are useful for separating major elements (particularly foreground from background) but generally when used on finer details they make things messier and tend to flatten the sprite as well. One area like that is the detail on his left (our right) pauldron. You can convey a lot more intricacy there if you show most of it with shading.11
You have a number of spots where a highlight is 'broken', that is you have a highlight which is interrupted by darker pixels.
example:
Generally it's best to avoid this if not strictly necessary, since it tends to make things look more noisy/messy.

Here's an edit where I poked at a few areas. Some are more poked at than others, take everything with a grain of salt as per usual.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dang, that looks much improved! I particularly like the new flat angle of the top of the helmet and the lion emblem. I'm also on mobile atm but I'm going to overlay yours in the original so I can get a better look at all the particular changes you've made.

Edit - Just did the overlay. Man, I've got a lot to learn - the gauntlets and lion especially are absolutely drastic improvements, as well as tons of little shading adjustments all over the armor. The sword, just...daaaamn! Thanks again for the breakdown, I'll try and use all this going forward.

Double Edit - Orcish Horde, first pass. I'll come back to them with fresh eyes in a bit and see how they can be improved, there's certainly a few rough areas that need attention, but I'm pleased with the overall progress so far. I'm planning on making a ton of different orcs with varied builds, weapons, ranks, etc. I'm hoping to finish 1-2 a day.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

McKilligan posted:

Dang, that looks much improved! I particularly like the new flat angle of the top of the helmet and the lion emblem. I'm also on mobile atm but I'm going to overlay yours in the original so I can get a better look at all the particular changes you've made.

Edit - Just did the overlay. Man, I've got a lot to learn - the gauntlets and lion especially are absolutely drastic improvements, as well as tons of little shading adjustments all over the armor. The sword, just...daaaamn! Thanks again for the breakdown, I'll try and use all this going forward.

Double Edit - Orcish Horde, first pass. I'll come back to them with fresh eyes in a bit and see how they can be improved, there's certainly a few rough areas that need attention, but I'm pleased with the overall progress so far. I'm planning on making a ton of different orcs with varied builds, weapons, ranks, etc. I'm hoping to finish 1-2 a day.

Those orcs are sick