Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Something i've done today, I never really tried pixel art before but i'm happy with the dude. I used a restrained color palette in asperite for it and it was in 64x64, probably could've been done with higher resolution if I want to try out lucasarts kind of games later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Elpato posted:

Well, the problem is that I have super shaky hands, so making precise lines and curves is hard. It's what kept me out of visual stuff for the past forever.

Pixels aren't so bad though, I find. Maybe I just like abstraction.

Is it because of a medical condition or because of a lack of practice holding pencils and the like?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, donald kind of has a more solemn expression that makes him look a bit more dignified than Hillary in that picture. Maybe make the hair or skin more orange or something?

Have any of you people tried Pyxel edit? it's in a beta currently but quite promising. I've really fallen in love with the multi-tile paint system.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

That variation looks real good.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Fuego Fish posted:

I was inspired by Ghost Trick, which has a very unique style to it.

They used 3D models to figure out the animations and then sort of rotoscoped them, if I remember correctly. Something like that, anyway. I just like the stark colours and minimalist shading.

Ghost trick was an awesome game. I'd love if the designers of that game did another.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

exmarx posted:

beep boop

can you post a blowed up version? How did you make it?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How many of you guys do pixel art for a game and not just for the artwork itself? Lots of stuff here is really interesting.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Something i'm working on during my free time. I'm trying to do something reminiscent of lucasarts adventure games.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Scarodactyl posted:

Spent way too long on this. Using Frankiepixelshow's palette from his ongoing WeekendRPG project. I was intending to do another style imitation going into it but quickly go distracted and just kept the colors.

Where can I find that palette? I'm not familiar with the guy and he seemed to be all over the place.

nevermind, Found it.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 18, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

anothergod posted:

Posted in game making thread. First post here. Um. Yup. Hi all

I'd play that game.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

romanowski posted:

hi everybody's artwork in this thread is so good and inspiring and every now and then it makes me want to try drawing with pixels, which is psychotic because I can barely draw to begin with, but somehow I accidentally drew something that I think turned out pretty decent (as long as you don't look at it too closely :)):

full disclosure I cheated in a couple ways like with a gradient overlay on the clouds and lowered opacity on the fog (is that cheating?)

It would be considered cheating, but it doesn't really matter anymore when games like Celeste that call themselves pixel-art are actually done with 3D assets and stuff pixel artists couldn't do with a restricted palette.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
You've got a blue title font on top of a blue background.

It looks nice, but you might want to try changing the hue on the title. Good job by the way.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Harold Krell posted:

Recently finished the intro for the game I've been developing: Louny Balloony! It took around 4ish months to finish, with 2 months primarily focused on the transition between the sprite to the final close-up image of the character. It'll be nice to focus on actual game sprites again after that.

https://twitter.com/harold_krell/status/1142495494288994304

Also, here's a youtube version of the intro for higher resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYxhQ5O-JxU

Nice man, that clearly looks like a lot of work.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CascadeBeta posted:

What would be a good canvas size to start with for basic doodling? 64px?

16 for nes sprites, 32 if you want to doodle a little but still get to make pixel choices. 64 is getting pretty big.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

McKilligan posted:

The first leaves have started to turn orange. It begins.

drat that's some good work. What's your workflow on a complicated piece like that?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good workflow. I'll try it some time.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

McKilligan posted:

Working on other summonable entities - Flaming and Watery Spheres. I like most of 'em, but I'm still going to rework the textures - ther overall style and palette are set though, now it's just a ton of cleanup and tweaking.

Oooh man, that water sphere is really really good.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Star Man posted:

It's been a hot minute since I put together an animation from a Gradius game. I have such a dumbass hobby.

It's an original hobby. Keep posting man :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Has anyone here tested pyxel edit? I've done some stuff with it and enjoy the tile manager it has but I'm curious to know how the good pixel artists of this thread think it scales in comparison to Aseprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ash Crimson posted:

Also i wish i could be less perfectionist when making stuff, especially sprites i have no idea how some if you don't go mad constantly revising your stuff

The best illustrator I know seriously told me once "stop giving a poo poo" and it works for him. You're not helping yourself and your art by stressing out about it