Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

donut posted:

Coming across this thread has inspired me to revisit some stuff I did in the past. Being the most visually artistic person in my band, I've been tasked with doing most of the visual stuff, and given our target audience and subject matter, I've been doing my best to do pixel art. I've decided to redo our website, which was pretty rushed and I'm not terribly proud of, and the first piece I'm working on for it is a re-do of the character I made for our business card.

Here's the start of the new piece

I've started shading the head, but I felt like asking if there was any advice or criticism anyone had on here before I went any further with it. One area I'm curious about opinions on is palette, someone posted a 16-color palette that seemed great for a lot of purposes but was a little too limiting for what I want to accomplish. Any tips on picking colors? One of the great things about pixel art is the constraints but I have a hard time deciding exactly HOW to constrain myself I guess. My earlier pieces I just used web colors just because it was so easy to start with but it's not really that great for what I'm doing either.

I'm no artist, but I feel either the right knee should be closer to the body or the left knee should be partially visible. Currently the perspective feels off.

Again, I'm no artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Arbor posted:

Oh man. I love me some pixel art. I don't do it nearly as often as I wish I did.

A few months ago I tried my hand at a pixel room. It was based off of the design and sketch of a friend so I didn't actually have to do much thinking in the way of layout/colours. I think it's probably easy to spot the areas where I was tossing my hands up over isometric art and decided to just fake it or risk not doing it at all. By the time I was done I'd already spotted a few things I could have improved on in the first objects I did, like making the edges actually have dimension.

Reminds me of Mega Man Battle Network. Very nice.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shoehead posted:

This is kinda big... I dunno I just wanted to draw a big, fat birdman today. So I did. :v:

This guy looks like he should sell useless items to the player for exorbitant prices.

E: I like him. Especially the puffed cheeks.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Awesome walk cycles, I'm jealous.

Reminds me of the DS Castlevanias.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Is this supposed to be the wrestler guy that goes YES YES YES?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
^^^^^ Youuuuuuuu :argh:

Shoehead posted:

Yesterday was gun day

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dang those are some fine animations. I especially like the facial expressions in the first one.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scut posted:

Here's a timelapse of some work I did recently for an indie dev. The music isn't my choice, but I thought you folks might like to see some of my process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THJ_AnXXARY

Do you decide your shading in the planning phase (pencil & paper) or after you draw on the screen? It looks pretty.

Also if you are using Open Source software you might be interested in Krita painting program. It works on Windows now and they've been doing a funding campaign to improve it even more. They have an edition called Krita Gemini which you can buy on Steam that has better tablet integration if that's your thing.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
My previous post was all words and no pictures. Let me rectify that with this unfinished chibi motorcyclist:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Blood Dragon.
plus
minus :effort: =

Here's an idea for the thread: sprite mash ups.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I frikkin love that goofy face.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

RedRupee posted:

Hey guys a few weeks back I made some monster hunter thing because I'm a huge nerd and I hand-pixeled the insects used myself. No one ever commented on the art so I'm posting the raw stuff here for y'all to see.

I also did a few other things when dicking around.

Dang those are nice. Do you have a tumblr?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

RedRupee posted:

rubyraw.tumblr

Glad you enjoy them.

The one with words flying across it is sort of fan art of a game a friend of mine made. Link here clicky

God I'm always so jealous of everyone's art.

I recognize that character from one of the SA GameDev competitions!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Noyemi K posted:

URL because it's 720p

It's isometric! A screencap of some additional dumb prototype. I have not finished any part of it but I've got the style I'm going for. The hearts in the background scroll and loop!

I love your weird palette. I hope the font will change in the final product though.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

zolthorg posted:

I still think screen shake is really dumb for every shot. It just looks like the game is shaking around erratically

Same.
It's really awful in Nuclear Throne. (thank god you can turn it off)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Since it's come up recently and is a big part of pixel art in general, I just saw this article about colour use that I think people will find very interesting: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HermanTulleken/20150729/249761/Color_in_Games.php

It's not about pixel art specifically (although it does talk about some pixel art techniques like palette cycling to create the sense of flowing water), but it's all stuff that's useful to understand in any kind of visual art design, and I think it's especially relevant to pixel art just because palettes tend to be very limited, so good colour choice is vital.

I hope they posted that Trine(?) screenshot as an example of lovely coloring.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scarodactyl posted:

I've been sitting on this one for a while, but the album it was made for (Land of Fans and Music 4) finally released so I can post it:

Sorry for the Homestuck, but that's just how it is. FF6 was pretty formational for me and I really like trying to imitate the general style.

That looks fantastic.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKc0zMGGaRg

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

wayfinder posted:

And still the feet of the second character look rotoscoped and wobbly

that’s because she is

elena is the only rotoscoped character that’s why she looks weird next to the rest of the cast

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i don’t know much about art but i like your style

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hahaha took me a while to realize it had six legs

drat good work exmarx 👍

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

is the text supposed to say “infinite sustain”?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scut posted:

Yep. It's a little roguelike I work on with friends. Our musician chose the title because it's both thematic to some of the gameplay goals as well as some of the music styles.

Sounds (heh) good. BTW the “a” looks too much like a “d”.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anothergod posted:

Anyone use any free pixel art programs? I'm looking for something cheap(free, really) and easy for students to use in a class.

There is LibreSprite which is a fork of Aseprite from back when it was open source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scarodactyl posted:

This was a bit rushed, especially the loop at the end, but it was fun to work on.

Oh hell yeah! That's some good art.