Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Someone linked it over in the GameDev contest thread, but the Liberated Pixel Cup contest is in its pixel art stage right now. It seems pretty cool if you'd like to contribute to some free RPG-style graphics and possibly win something.

Submissions are open until June ends! I wish I'd found out about it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm playing around with some simple platformer tiles.

That walk animation will probably be faster in-game.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Triangle posted:

did a new one and tweaked the animation on the first a little

Looks great, but it might make the "tearing" effect systran mentioned less obvious if you cleaned up some of the edges that look a bit off? Like the bit on her sleeves where there's a one-pixel outward pucker, or the top of her boot where part of it seems to bulge outward. It's a little ripply right now.

I think it'd benefit from a little more movement as well, maybe in the feet, sleeves or skirt.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Arbor posted:

Oh man. I love me some pixel art. I don't do it nearly as often as I wish I did.

A few months ago I tried my hand at a pixel room. It was based off of the design and sketch of a friend so I didn't actually have to do much thinking in the way of layout/colours. I think it's probably easy to spot the areas where I was tossing my hands up over isometric art and decided to just fake it or risk not doing it at all. By the time I was done I'd already spotted a few things I could have improved on in the first objects I did, like making the edges actually have dimension.

I have a big soft spot for Pokemon and for little isometric scenes so I love this. :3: You could probably play up the contrast between shadows and midtones in this but I honestly kind of like it as it is, it's very soft-looking.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Supernorn posted:

Here's a little compilation of a bunch of assets i'm creating for the Space Station 13 remake. I know it's not traditional pixel art, but would appreciate any crits. I've been trying hard to keep the 'perspective' consistent and think overall I'm doing okay (although the airlock might need tweaking).

I feel like your player sprite needs a bit of an outline. Everything else has one, more or less, and he's kinda slipping into the background without one. Other than that, maybe a bit of gloss on the blood in the IV drip? And something feels off about the contrast in the sink but other than that this looks great.

Please come back when you get to adding the butts and clown suits :v:

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Maybe something like this? I followed the full arc of the swing and tapered it a bit.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Feel free!

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Old hand/new hand. Whaddya think?

Exaggerate this even further and make a fiddler crab man.

e: I have an incomplete tree tutorial from approximately forever ago, intended for iso

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 18, 2013

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Digital Fingers posted:

I think we should do more "Lets all make a _____". We're all learning so much about trees.
I felt like I was cheating with my first "tree" so I did good sized cherry blossom.

But first bottles:

And I hate them all- expect the little black one.

Lets try again:

And again the black one is the only one I kinda like. I'll just come back to this a little later when I stop hating bottles so much.

Tree:

I started with ovals but quickly had to edit them down to almost nothing since these types of trees really don't have a lot of roundness or much of a "full" look to them. Looking at it now it's too thin and I should have had a layer of darker foliage behind it.

I've got to practice some normal style trees. Blossoms are bullshit.

I actually like the little bottles. Maybe they'd benefit from a little more contrast in their color ramps? It might help if you made the highlights persist throughout the bounce, too - right now some of the smaller bottles lose most of their highlighting.

For the cherry blossom tree, what I'd recommend doing is sketching in the branches and then roughing in some puffy blossoms. Yours is pretty good, actually, you just need more volume to the blossoms, if that makes sense? Right now you've got what would be the thick main branches, but you want to extend the blossoms further out from there because there would be many smaller branchlets extending off them.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Red Mike posted:

Had a free hour to work on ...texture I suppose? Tried to make it clear that it's grass, and to do a proper perspective thing where the lower third actually looks like it's close to the camera.

Don't like how the clouds turned out, but I've lost interest. In case it's unclear, it's based on the generic Windows XP wallpaper.

Not bad! You can push the depth a bit more by shifting distant areas more toward the color of the sky. Here's a lazy photoshop-filtered example of what I mean:

I shifted the foreground to be yellower as well just to play it up a bit more.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Red Mike posted:

Wonderful, thanks! That looks much better. Do I shift hue-wise, or do I also modify saturation/value? Intuitively I'd say I should also desaturate slightly the farther apart it is, and saturate slightly closer up, is that about right?

Generally speaking, yes! If you want to really play with your palette all bets are off but that's a good rule of thumb.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Amateur tree hour! :neckbeard: I tried following the wonderful tree guides and ended up with this:

This is great so far, love your palette!

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

korusan posted:

I come now seeking to improve this sprite of an orb and really make it shine. Again using limited colours, and will be resizing/modifying this sprite in three different sizes and colours once complete for the title screen:

Well, right now you're getting across the translucence but it's not really round-looking - it looks more like a flat gem than an orb. You kind of want to combine those two properties like so:

I'm kind of bullshitting the highlights here but you get the idea. It might also benefit from having the darkest shade for the outline instead of black, but I left it since that might be a stylistic thing.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

the chaos engine posted:

Photoshop. And it pretty much *is* tedious, i'm just very used to it. That said for scanline stuff I just draw one pixel a bunch of times at one pixel interval, then transform > stretch horizontal.

And I just animated this fucker! It's not how it should be, but I'm starting to enjoy doing overly expressive idles. This is probably going to get annoying to constantly look at though, I think?

If you're working in photoshop you should be able to make a 1x2 pattern that's just a single black pixel and a single transparent pixel. Define pattern -> pattern fill -> instant horizontal scan lines. Same thing works in 2x1 for vertical, or a 2x2 black-transparent checkerboard pattern will work for a quick dithering pattern.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I missed that you'd posted that, Shoehead! Those are some pretty cool owl(s), are your monster dudes for a specific project or just for fun?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I took a stab at 64px character sprites, but it turns out that despite being easy to insert into RPG Maker there's enough assumptions about having characters 32px wide that it was kind of a pain. I briefly looked at 32x64, but that changed things enough that I would have to redo everything and I'll save redoing everything for after I ride this project into the ground and discover more of the things I don't know. Being able to actually put a face on the character is an attractive prospect, I must admit. Anyway, attempted animating the mumbler:

The hands on this guy are staying completely static while everything else moves. Make 'em bob around with the rest of the body and it should help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I didn't ignore your advice btw, sorry for the really late reply, been working on the horse lately but decided to give that a break for now:

Not much of an update, but there it is. Tried changing the archer's leg rotation, added a blur to the follow up frame, i'll experiment with it disappating after the attack has finished.

Haven't finished the wolf attack, not sure where to go with it. In regards to the zombie i wanted the attack to look slow, but powerful, not sure i got it right.

I think you want to put more force into the backswing on the zombie? Spend more time on pulling the arms back and then have it come down like WHAM, faster, on the downswing. You might want a couple more frames for the pull-back, exaggerate the movement more? I tried messing with the timing alone but it still sort of just reads as waving arms.