Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

anothergod posted:

Heh, yeah, a few places were gibberish. I'm glad you cleaned it up.

Has anyone here sold art asset packs? I just released my first pixel art pack on itch.io, and a lot of people have been asking me about my CC-BY-SA4.0 license. All of them have asked me if "I'm sure I want to use that license", so... I'm wondering if anyone here's got insight on if I do, haha.

If you don’t want people to use your stuff, it’s not a bad one.

Probably you want something that will let them use it commercially if you’re selling it to them. IANAL, but I won’t touch CCbySA stuff at all. Because the terms are obviously not reasonable for what I would want them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

anothergod posted:

Wow, guys, the work here is looking really great. I've been going through some personal stuff, so I've been away from the forums for a bit. I've been forcing myself to get back into it by making pixel art. Finished up a tileset for Zelda 2 style games. I dropped it on itch.io and now have assets for both Z1 and Z2 style games.

Those 🎃 are great.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

McKilligan posted:

Alright! Exciting poo poo coming through!

The website is up, all the major functional bits are working, patreon linked, etc!

https://www.retrogrademinis.com/

We haven't officially announced or launched or anything yet, and we're still tweaking a few things here and there, but all the main functionality is locked down and we're pretty much good to go! So, please, take a look around, check out all the doodads, gewgaws and whatnots, and give us some feedback if there's something that you think we could do better.

Incoming features that aren't in yet, but should be soon -
  • GM Sheet option for printing - Each unit you print has an accompanying blank stat box with a picture of it on a separate sheet for combat management.
  • Goon Discount - we're still fiddling with how Patreon Works, just got the login/tiers working, but we're going to have special coupons, freebies and whatnots later on.

On mobile I can’t find the minis.

You should also specify license terms somewhere. Available for my personal use? Saleable? Use in works? I can’t find a license.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

Could I get some feedback on this? This is my first real attempt. I got tired when animating the craziness of the beams so it looks like garbage. Are the colors and general form ok? Be as harsh as you wish.

T. Hanks

Not clear how the cross guard would stop other beam swords.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

anothergod posted:

How do I start making a roguelike?

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=How_to_Write_a_Roguelike_in_15_Steps

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

anothergod posted:

I like the way more orange desert tileset implies height and smoothness, but yeah I think the purpley desert tiles need some help w/ defining heights. I have thought about dithering, but I'm not sure. I try not to have too many stray pixels if I can avoid it.

I think you're getting a really good handle on weapons. The metal/wood/leather stuff is reading really well, and you're developing a nice style. I'd be interested in seeing weapons/tools that are either different materials or much more extravagant and unique.

Some tileset tests

The colors are getting blasted pretty hard, but I think it's getting closer. I love the ability to create layers of tiles to make detail, so the colors have to be perfect to imply gameplay legibility.

Do those work under colorblind filters?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

anothergod posted:

lol Probably not. Is there an easy way to check this? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out color palettes, tbh.

Thanks for the recolor! I totally agree that I have too many like colors. Reducing color count really helps pull things together. I think once I have a full tileset I can condense the palette. I initially started with Arne's Famicube palette, but I'm quickly outgrowing it. So... we'll see where I end up?

I've used sim daltonism from the Mac app store, but there are similar things if you're on windows.

https://www.color-blindness.com/2008/12/23/15-tools-color-blindness/

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Stack Machine posted:

My favorite platform is probably the game boy and I'm constantly amazed at how many distinct characters can be represented in 16x16 pixels at 3 shades of gray.

I wish we got wonderswan stateside, because I think the 8 shades grayscale images look so good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

For a top down arpg, do y'all do animations for diagonal movement/attacks?

How Zelda do you want to feel?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

anothergod posted:

Anyone use any free pixel art programs? I'm looking for something cheap(free, really) and easy for students to use in a class.

Aseprite is still available in source form for free. https://github.com/aseprite/aseprite

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

a7m2 posted:

IMO it counts because "pixel art" refers to the result, not the process.

First post disagrees with you, and indicates these would not be pixel art (though they're nice low resolution digital paintings)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

bessantj posted:

That looks pretty cool. Reminds me of Castlevania.

It's a Zelda 2 rip, though they're pretty similar

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
:getin: :frogon:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the issue with doing a really accurate CRT shader is it needs a crazy high resolution to really look authentic, so most shaders go more for the "feel" of a CRT display rather than aiming for a 1:1 recreation.

There's nothing that can be done about low-intensity stuff, too. Just entire sections of the visible space in CRT that LCD simply can't do. Physics is kind of rude there.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

Can't bring myself to use asperite, how do i curb my graphics gale dependence??

Also i wish i could be less perfectionist when making stuff, especially sprites i have no idea how some if you don't go mad constantly revising your stuff

Pick up ProMotion?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

It's not much, made a couple sprites and animations, but it's what I was able to make playing around with construct for a few hours.
There's hope for my dumb ideas yet.

Also felt like the GBA's resolution is nice to use, feels toony in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyy_YG1XaE

You might like the wonderswan/wonderswan color resolution and color profiles.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

I had to look that up, i have a vague memory of seeing some videos on these. I think that's more colors than I want to work with though since I might go for sets of 2bit palettes for different areas (Big maybe on the 2bit).

Unless I'm misreading its color specs or misunderstanding what you mean by color profile.

The resolution is pretty similar though! So I could definitely play around with the ws resolution.
224x144 WS
240×160 GBA

The ws resolution might be more interesting to design around just because it's a little more restricted.

Wonderswan had 16 shades of gray, with 8 visible at a time. Across 16 palettes that had 4 shades each.

Wonderswan color has a couple color modes, but the most prevalent had 16 palettes of 16 colors in rgb444

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

I there a way to find these palettes? Most of the resources seem to not have much info on that beyond how to program it.

For the b&w, you pick 8 colors from the sixteen shades of gray. Then pick 4 colors from those per palette. For color, you pick 15 colors from rgb444 and color 0 is transparent.

If you want to see what palettes were used in a particular game, a lot of emulators let you look at the palette data.