Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
I used to do some pixel art for fun. These things are like 3 years old and embarrassing.

Jewel posted:

Edit: Oh gosh while I'm here, this seems like the perfect time to post one of my favorite pixel art works (NOT MINE):

Made entirely in MSPaint, and has only 15 colors!

I really dig the color limitation side of pixel art. There are some p.neat tricks you can do with pixels

(3 colors + black)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

Exclamation Marx posted:

This poo poo is neat

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

8 colors + mandatory bobbing

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Hahahah that's a really great bear!

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

i'm doing something again

8 colors + background
wip obviously

Triangle fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 19, 2013

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

I was gonna give him a trident on the left hand but now he flexes I guess!
pretty much finished here.

you'll be shocked to hear that it's still 8 colors and 10 frames.

Internet Janitor posted:

drat that is some nice shadowing and use of partial outlines.
Why thank you!

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Don't save pixel art as a jpg.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Zvezda posted:

Oh man some lovely lovely things in this thread.

I don't know the first thing about the rules of game sprites but I do find drawing tiny, tiny people pretty relaxing after a week of ZBrushing:

I'd love to pursue this and make something cool :3:

Something you might want to keep in mind when doing pixel stuff is to avoid using anti-aliased brushes. They introduce tons of unnecessary colors and destroy edges. Something else you might want to do is to clean up your edges. Also, look into limited palettes.

here is a little something to try and illustrate what I'm talking about.

6 colors + alpha

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

:siren:warning: anime rear end anime:siren:

6 frames and way too many colors

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Thank you!
I didn't really use a predefined pallette, made it up as I went along.
It has 4 base colors and each has a shadow, light, transition and reflection color + some others. I could've reduced the number of colors by combining, but I was way too tired.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

did a new one and tweaked the animation on the first a little

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Nice pixel dong

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

looks a lot like radio the universe

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Ave Azaria posted:

Maybe try making those elements dithered?

No, don't

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

It is far to light and flat, like it has no shadows on it. Make the outlines darker and give it some form.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

something like this

accidentally saved it as a jpg oops

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

upscale your pics. I'm tired of squinting at these tiny rear end shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Limiting your animations to 3 frames makes it look bad/weird.