Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
I literally just started making pixel art, trying to find a good program on the mac for animating. I've got aseprite but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out because I'm computer illiterate.
I made these in Photoshop, just to try it out... I'm not super happy with them. I'd love to try making a game one day.

...now that I'm looking at these alongside everyone else's they're embarrassingly bad. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

No way I really appreciate it! Pixels were always one of those things that I desperately wanted to try but felt like it would be too much to learn, so every bit of critique helps. I re ally like the high contrast correction you did, I knew something was off but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks!

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

I posted some stuff earlier and now I'm trying to make my own game, based on a webcomic that I really enjoy. It's just a lovely overworld sprite, but

Right now I'm looking for some good tiling tutorials. I'm having a lot of difficulty eliminating the grid effect :( If anyone has any to recommend that'd be great. I'm trying for an Earthbound-esque style with this, am I achieving that??

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Ok. I cleaned up the previous sprite I made, because I really didn't like the style and size. I know there's something wrong with the walk cycle, especially the left and right facing walk, but I can't figure out how I can fix it. Any body have suggestions?

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Besesoth posted:

Agreed, it's a great little sprite!

Also agreed that it's the arms that are causing the wonkiness. They look like they're bouncing because they're returning to the "stand" position in intermediate frames rather than an intermediate swinging position. I've done a quick edit to demonstrate what I mean:

Thanks to everyone that replied so quickly. I had a friend also look at it, and he pointed out that the arm bends a lot more when walking to the left/right than it does when walking up or down.
I really like the edit you did here, I'm going to try and tweak it a bit more when I get home from work. Thanks everyone!

Also I hope it's ok that I post more stuff in here, I don't want to clog the thread with my questions but it gets so little traffic anyways...

stegoceras fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 22, 2013

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

At the risk of self-promoting, a couple of friends and myself have started a pixel challenge blog over at http://compixellated.tumblr.com/ if any of you are interested. This week's challenge is animation and we've actually already received a goon submission (I knew I recognized Havegum's art but I couldn't recall where)

We make a post every week on Sundays, so if any of you are having difficulty getting inspired or just want extra practice it'd be cool to check out :shobon:

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I was wondering when you'd post over here.

I always forget this thread exists.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Argh I really need to get back into pixel work. I've been feeling really discouraged recently and like I need to learn again from the beginning; can anyone recommend some tutorials to start with? EDIT: nevermind, I forgot about the OP!

Even running Compixellated isn't helping, though I appreciate those who are on the pixel community on tumblr doing the challenges. Thanks for submitting Heavy Lobster!

stegoceras fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah I'm also going to (shamelessly) plug https://compixellated.tumblr.com; we do a challenge every week and we've even started doing critiques midweek for those who want them. We really love when people submit their own challenge ideas, right now we've got a repixel challenge going on which has turned out some really nice pieces.