Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You're making Roller Coaster Tycoon 1.5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zvezda posted:

I'd LOVE to do a point and click adventure game sometime. It's the programming side of things that really intimidates me - I'd need a partner in crime! Thanks for the critique, I will keep the palette in mind :)

For simple point-and-click games, you could try just messing around in Adventure Game Studio without needing to program.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have to say, Zvezda, I kinda prefer the original look too; it lends an impression of hidden/obscured detail in a way that's quite successful. Keep us up to date on further stuff!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What kind of scale are you talking about here?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

That kinda crap makes me wonder what sort of twisted individual enjoys playing HD remakes and emulated games with a filter or smoothing enabled. It always, always, always looks like junk.

It depends on the game and the filter. Advanced filters that perform some level of image analysis combined with cell shaded art can look quite good on an HD screen. Yoshi's Island can look fantastic.

The 'Ours' filter is amazing.

Here's a video of Mario World in that filter.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 24, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, the really good filters tend to be more common in emulators than HD remakes. I think some have use HQ4X-style ones but I don't remember any official remakes using filters as good as the one I linked above (which is significantly better than HQ4X). That said, the one I linked above is literally a Microsoft research paper, so...

And yeah, it's all dependent on the game style which filter is best. That one works best with smooth, rounded and cell-shaded artwork. Results may vary otherwise.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 24, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh I don't say use filters on pixel artists who did it deliberately in an era unrestricted by resolution. That's just wrong. You're mutilating their work.

But Yoshi's Island with a really good filter like above on an HD TV looks lovely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't say why, but he looks like he's limping.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slifter posted:

Can someone explain this subpixel effect? Now that I know what it says I can kinda make it out, but I don't really understand why and Google isn't helping.

A pixel on an LCD computer screen is actually made up of three little coloured lights - usually Red, Green and Blue sub-pixels in that order, set up as three vertical coloured lines that together form a square. Knowing the arrangement of those sub-pixels, you can choose colours to display on that full pixel so that you end up lighting a chosen individual sub-pixel or two only and make shapes smaller than a single pixel.

Modern screen fonts all use this to smooth the edges of normal fonts more than full single pixels could manage, but you don't get a colour spray because it merges into the other pixels alongside it.

Those fonts above won't work on, say, a CRT, or an LCD with a different pixel arrangement. The Cleartype Tuner tool in Windows that you may have run shows you fonts rendered for various different subpixel arrangements and asks you to pick the one that looks right so that Windows can know what colours to use in its font smoothing.

EDIT:

here's an example. See how it's using individual subpixels to make the line smoother than if it was just using full pixels made of all three colours?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 30, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scut posted:

An in-progress tileset for an arena game commission. Making something look like molten metal or magma is a challenge but also really fun when you get it working.

Great work. I assume the lava will be animating eventually?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No idea personally, but have some Google Result inspiration.

Looks like the best approach would probably be to have bands of distinct colours rather than a smooth gradient, but have them a lot closer together in distance and colour than your example, probably avoiding totally straight lines nearer the sun if you can, and break them up a lot with clouds and features if you can.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 19, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Triangle posted:

looks a lot like radio the universe

There's been a lot of comparison, yeah. Both no-outline bright colours on dark background pixel art with full-colour lighting effects.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

I should clarify that this is for a video game, so my options for lighting aren't as broad as if I were doing a static image. Need options that I can apply to moving sprites on various backgrounds.

Well, depending on your renderer there'd be ways to achieve dither-lighting, I'm sure, but screw that, I like this look.

The third one looks a bit off to me, though. Either the glow from the lights is too bright or the falloff is too rapid. Or possibly too gradual. I... damnit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 13, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

seiken posted:

8 direction walk? Nah man the turtle should just spin round and round like that the whole time.

Spinny the overwaxed turtle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda feel like he should be able to swim (in the city's disgusting canals) too

but then I kinda feel like he shouldn't

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Definitely prefer the new head, Shoe, that was bugging me a bit about some of the angles on the old one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The three non-desert look like the same picture in different seasons to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Opps this turned out massive, but it's my revised tileset. I'm starting to get rid of all the hard lines and I've a few store-fronty style features in there too. Also that really brown and red thing is the start of a super amber and brown skyscraper kind of building that I'm not 100% sure on yet.

Hang on, are you not using the old larger sprites at all now?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's good from the front and back, but I'm not sure about the head dipping forwards quite so much on the side views.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

Hmmm. I was aiming for "purposeful stride". Changed it to be purely up and down, better?

That looks a lot better, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamn, that jungle environment is amazing! So are you and Zach collaborating?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the instructions! I tried to animate it as you specified, but i might have got it wrong, any case here's the result:

Apologies if read into what you said too literally.

And yes, I'm currently using 64x34. I'll give what you said a go!

I feel like his entire body should end up a pixel or two lower down at full extension with his leg forward than when he started, with his forward leg in a bit of a crouch rather than straight down. That'll compensate for his back leg being longer diagonally than when it's vertical at the start.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 28, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Done!

It's probably difficult to tell at such a small/low level but i took your advice and added it to this edit:

Also added another blur-trail in the follow-up just before the attack.

I was just wondering; does it still have the impact it had whilst he was walking?

I'm also considering doing this with the spear guy, but i'll await further feedback incase there's anything else i need to correct/address.

Hah, that's actually the opposite of what I meant - I meant to have him a pixel or two lower at his rightmost, after he finishes swinging out... but it kinda seems to work anyway right now. The bob certainly makes it a lot more dynamic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shoehead posted:

I too am having perspective woes...

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 20, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember, a horse doesn't just move its legs, it runs with its entire flanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Your big issue, again, is that the horse is just moving its legs, when there needs to be motion of the entire segment of the body above the leg. In my opinion, anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

sorry about the poopie screen cap quality, but this is what I've got so far on Dropsy's intro cinematic. looking for any suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqPbcf8sZU

so far I'm going to change the black bars from fading to moving in from top/bottom, and increase the pause after the fire bit

I feel like the very final pan should be slower. Increase the melancholy a bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

This was supposed to be some sort of exercise in animating perspective for me, but I'm, uh, not sure how successful it was. Perspective is hard!! Whatever, I had fun at least. Also, it was my first (extremely) tentative foray into hue-shifting :v:

bonus round:

It looks like it goes up a pixel between frames two and three to me.

.TakaM posted:

I've been slowly working on the death animation for my game

It's a Super Metroid style death, not going for any blood, just to imply a pain overload.
The exploding sparks are recolours of the effect used when you kill an enemy, I'm not sure if I'll keep them as a base, but it definitely needs something more...
Suggestions?

The thing that pulls me out of it a bit is the way the sprite is full of dark lines, outlines, and a few dark bits like the shoes and mouth, and the explosion is extremely light. Maybe a few small black /brown splodges too? Or even to bring in the lines from the sprite, some little twisting exploding spirals flying out with the colour splodges?

Also, if you wanted to, a single frame with the impression of final frame of the original sprite coming apart might help.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 7, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Try making his knees bow outwards slightly instead of just absorbing the height, maybe?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

oddium posted:

This is super pedantic and maybe it's not the same everywhere but those road lines are bugging the h*ck out of me. Generally yellow lines seperate traffic in opposing directions where white lines seperate traffic moving in the same direction

Maybe cybershark puncher doesn't happen in America.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I usually just go straight to the pixel-art program i am using (in this case graphics gale). Could that be why i am having issues with anatomy? Or at least translating what i read/learn into pixel art?

Oh, almost certainly. Most pixel art programs will let you place a high-res guide-image behind the transparent pixel layer to work from and that's a very common procedure for drawing things that involve anatomy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And yeah, those horizontal walls actually don't fully intersect with where the base square of the tower would be, which is why they look so off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In any case, perspective isn't all that relevant in this case; it's a perspectiveless projection and shoehorning it in for the stairs just confuses the eye.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the chaos engine posted:

True, but Minish Cap uses depth perspective everywhere. Pillars, doors, stairs- everything is angled to get darker and smaller at the bottom.

True, but it tends to use it for standalone constructions; as far as I can tell it doesn't use it for landscape elements that merge into others. Then again I'm just glancing at screenshots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Button immediately to the right of tolerance, I'd guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I reckon it'd look better if the border were the same pixelwidth as the art.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm glad he's gotten bigger so you can see his sharkiness more, you kinda lost that in the smallest one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any higher-than-32 colour palettes that are still more visually harmonious than just going 'gently caress it all colours', or once you get up to 64 or so do you lose that advantage.

I have an idea for a pixel game project but one of the elements is that a lot of the critters would be dynamically palette shifted and I'd need a decent amount of colour granularity to make it work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On this topic, are there palette-design/selection tools/aids/resources out there y'all might know about I don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I'm not sure why scanlines in art are a thing because I don't remember any old games ever looking like that. Was it a really specific piece of hardware?

Scanlines are a monitor artifact, not a render artifact. They were on all TV-style CRTs. It's just that later CRTs brought them down to near-invisible and then retro art overemphasised them.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 3, 2015