Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
I'm excited for this thread because I am a terrible programmer-artist, and everything I touch turns to awful in my hands. Also, I'm working on a roguelike that's going to need a number of sprites and I'm tired of colored squares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Guys, I made my first sprite ever. I needed 3 'cpus' for robots. First up, the science cpu -- increasing energy efficiency. So I stuck a giant glowy fuse thing on it.

Ok, so I'm not entirely thrilled with the result. Some feedback would be appreciated (how do I make not lovely curves, for example, where do the highlights/shadows belong?)

Edit: Here it is slotted into my placeholder ui for context:

Pfhreak fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 22, 2012

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Jewel posted:

I'm gonna post it here since it's not really "work", but moreso I want to talk with one of you (if you accept!) and we can work out stuff together. Less of a job and more of a "let's make a game together".

I’m applying to a gamedev college soon, which is entirely portfolio based, but to ensure a position, I want to have completed at least one game to display. I usually work on sideprojects but I’ve never really finished something entirely, due to lack of artists or musicians. I’ve been programming for 7 years now, but I mostly like to stick to engines or little simulations instead of fullblown games.

Anywho I just want someone (I don’t want this to be too professional, just something where we chill out and make a game!) to work with on this. The idea I had in mind is a shmup for android (or a roguelike if you feel you could do art for that better (Or we could do both!)), since the screen res is small, and it’s a lot less work and time needed than a PC or XBLA release like I plan to do with larger projects. If you’re interested at all, feel free to PM me or reply here! If you prefer, I plan to even let you choose the theme and design the art for the game with no real limitations too, I’m pretty open about that (such as a space themed vertical shmup, or an underwater themed horizontal bullet hell, or whatever you prefer), but I do have someone who can design the game if you don't feel you're up to that task.

It shouldn't be a long project, only a few weeks if all goes well, and it'd be cool to have a game you've made in collaboration with someone on the Android store (It's probably going to be free, however, this is purely for portfolio purposes, and I don't really want to make money off your art without giving you compensation back (Although if we get along really well and plan to make more stuff in the future, we can perhaps charge for it as a team))!

If you don't have PM's, contact me at twitchy137@gmail.com !

Edit: Oh also if a mod sees this and deems it inappropriate for here, please feel free to edit out this post or PM me or somesuch, I'd be happy to remove it!

The game dev competition is coming up. Good opportunity to team up with folks and put together a game on a tight timeline.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Honestly, I think it's just an issue of perspective. To me it looks like the engines are at like a 30 degree angle, and the hull is side on. And definitely ditch the rudders. Do contrails in the game instead. :D

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

.TakaM posted:

Thanks for the detailed crits, does this look any better?

Please excuse how floaty it looks, I just wanted to make it clear where exactly the animation loops for ascending and descending

His butt still doesn't dip down enough after the jump. His back appears to stay flat throughout landing. It's the rear legs touching down that is too stiff. Also, I don't like how his tail curls (and appears to grow) right before he touches down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

The little 'chips' out of the middle of the letters make it hard to scan for me.