Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
First timer to the thread - gif's are cool, aye?

Starting to get somewhere with the Christmas update for Jack B. Nimble.

Feedback is welcome (and encouraged).

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Kmlkmljkl posted:

I'm guessing you have to jump over the snow, and use that last bit of ground to jump again?

Looks pretty cool.
Up to the player - they may use piles of snow/patches of grass to slow down if they so wish - but it makes the next couple of jumps harder to make.

the chaos engine posted:

What the heck I know you from twitter!

Also that's p clever to give a GB palette game a wintery version, nice :)
@SeanNoonan in the flesh - which twitter dude are you (I really should pay to change my name on here - been a long time since I posted).

Can Of Worms posted:

The background seems to blend it too much with the foreground for me, I didn't notice the snow patch the first few times I saw it. Try making the background darker, or make the foreground elements pop out more (thicker outlines?)
There's only so much I can do sticking with the 4 colour scheme, however I can definitely make the outline colour darker, and maybe slightly raise the brightness value of the 2nd darkest colour. I tried thicker outlines, but they looked super heavy/messy on the iPhone 5 screen (target platform).

Thanks for the feedback, everyone - will be sure to check back :)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

I've not messed with the layer positions too much, but made the lines darker and followed some sprite advice from some people over on TIG. I think it's a lot more readable now.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Started doing that whole Pixel Dailies thing and created a blog to document what I'm up to... http://pixeldailies.tumblr.com/

Feedback is super welcome :)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

zolthorg posted:

Don't worry. There is apparently no such thing as copyright infringement for sprites. Or tilesets.

That came across a bit passive aggressive... :jerkbag:

Anyway, started messing about with my last prototype again. Not sure where it's going to go - I started on some lava for the pixel dailies, very WIP, but whatever...

ExtraNoise posted:

I've never done animation before and I'm trying for a really basic 10-frame walk cycle based on rotoscoping.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty drat good to me - there's definitely a frame just after his right arm jumps back that shows the loop, but it is subtle.

Is it for a bigger project or just a test?

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Scut posted:

Sweet lava! Very manageable from an animation perspective yet clearly shows it is hot as hell. I'm guessing the 'lavafall' is a placeholder still because it's jarring to the eyes. Maybe make it look almost static? Like it's oozing down. Also the tiles above the lava pool are perfect candidates for steam/vapour wisps to curl around.
Yeah, super placeholder - wrong speed, wrong colours, and wrong pixel placement. All wrong!

Yeah, wee vapour wisps would be cool - will look into adding them.

Here's my effort for today's pixel daily:

I was trying to place both gifs into one image - couldn't work out how to do it - anyone have ideas?

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Another stab from me for the pixel dailies...

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Another pixel daily... starting to get more confident, but I'm still clueless on most forms of shading.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Chipp Zanuff posted:

In relation to the picture, I have a question; in what context is banding acceptable to use/get away with? I noticed there's a few bits in Aneurxorcyst's picture (Bottom lower corner of the head) where (or at least what i assume to be) banding is used, but i don't think it detracts from it in this case. A lot of tutorials i have read up on tell me to basically avoid it where ever possible, so im wondering what others in this thread think of it?

Also, my stuff is pretty rough - I imagine I'm doing a lot wrong. I know the feet are particularly messed up lighting wise.

...one a day though and speed is my focus (I'm trying to increase my speed and output for game development).

Edit:
Pixel daily today...

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 13, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Red Mike posted:

I think it's the lack of shadows, unless I'm wrong. I'd try editing it if I weren't at work.
Same conclusion I came to as well.

Made me feel like I was looking at a magic eye painting for the first few seconds.

May as well post this Katamari Prince sprite I did last week...

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Got back to doing pixel dailies again... well, hopefully.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Scut posted:

Is that an homage piece? Metal Gear?
Aye, one of my favourite games ever - it's the Hind D rooftop boss fight from Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation version).

...and here's another for today's pixel daily.

Ghost in the Shell's Tachikoma.

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 5, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Orc.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

A Paul Robertson Taito sprite study using the three games I released in 2014; Watch_Dogs, Jack B. Nimble and Far Cry 4 :)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So I've decided I need to stop staring at code all the time and actually make something tangible. This is kind of my first serious attempt at pixel art and I'm really happy with how it's coming along:

They look cool, but I imagine they're going to be a nightmare to animate...

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Had a stab at doing a Genestealer... would love to animate it, but don't have the time :(

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Well, I gave it a go...

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Blood Dragon.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

plus

minus :effort: =

Here's an idea for the thread: sprite mash ups.

This made my night :D

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Muh pixel daily...

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Whoa, this thread turned hostile.

HERE'S SOME OF MY poo poo:

/edge

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Still working on Jack B. Nimble updates. Feeling like I'll be moving onto another game soon.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Started working on a new game: https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/585172288846303232

It's still crazy early, but I'm spending every evening on it now :D

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Scut posted:

POST MORE OF THIS THING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

Until then, my pixel dailies for the week...

Think I'll be doing Ludum Dare this weekend... though it's almost the end of tax season....... :saddowns:

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Really digging the last one, it's really readable for only four colours! It usually takes me days before i get something that i'd even consider submitting/putting up so i usually avoid the dailies. How long does it usually take for you to make/finish one of these? Do you find it helps, I imagine it's sort of like a practice?
I'm super new to this stuff myself - I'm no artist (I'm a designer by trade). I started poking about with this stuff in my spare time about a year ago - I'd still say I'm not very good, but I feel I have a good enough filter to know when something is passable enough to show to people for possible critique or appreciation (though I got be proven wrong there).

Time wise, using that week as reference, here are some rough estimates including any time wasted starting over trying to get things right. This could really highlight my inexperience to some of the real artists in here...

About 2 hours

About an hour (not even joking)

About 2 hours

About 3 hours (I started out with a really complicated pose - total disaster) - worth stating the scene/backdrop took about 20 minutes

And here's one that took me a full evening after work...

About 7 hours (and an additional detail, the top down Solid Snake took about 4 minutes)

But yeah, I'm really not an artist, but like I said, I think I know when things are "ready" so I just throw time at the issue. With enough time I think even people without natural talent can achieve something good. That's what I hope anyway :)

As an example of what I managed to achieve solo in a weekend - here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=25406

Hope that helps in some way. I totally get that it's hard to know how long things take, I had that problem when people asked if I would do contract work - when I gave them prices and a time frame they went silent :saddowns:

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 24, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Really haven't been pixellin' much lately... maybe it shows ;)

(done for the 1 hour game jam)

(playable here)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

oddium posted:

someone watched the vlambeer talk on game feel
I guess I should take that as a compliment? They're pretty cool guys, but I've been applying camera shake to games since I've been in the industry (we do it in 3D too!) and I learnt the ropes for such things in my professional career (true facts: the camera shake from explosions in Crackdown 2 were all various forms of figure 8's). However seeing as it's been brought up, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

Internet Janitor posted:

Cool minimalist aesthetic. Reminds me a bit of one of my old prototypes:

Yeah, I had to go minimal, surprising as it may seem, achieving what I did in an hour was a real stretch. I'm pretty slow at coming up with simple things... like spawn systems, etc. Luckily a lot of the polish tasks like camera shake, particle systems and animations are made really simple in Construct 2 - it means while you may struggle with the mechanics, at least you know there's some quick gloss you can layer on at the end. It was actually one of my first times using particle systems in a 2D game, I usually just spawn animated sprites, i.e.

...I really should finish that update :p

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 1, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Scut, I wish I had some more useful feedback, but I'm not feeling the characters - the environment is awesome, but I can't picture what a style of character would more appropriate. Maybe if it's in motion it'll blend better?

Dunno. Sorry I don't have specific suggestions or feedback - feels a bit like a shitpost :\

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Can't believe I'm still working on this...

And a ninja update... https://vine.co/v/ejBwDziOEvE

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Scut posted:

Really sweet UI. Also is this version just for the GBJam!?

Nah, I was working on it anyway - it is the reason I didn't join the GBJam this time around. Also, I still feel bad after the failure of my last GBJam game... :(

Poor Bad Cloud :(

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Polish pass on first level is done. Diminishing returns confirmed :)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Polish pass on second level complete.

Had some criticism for the platforms being too hard to see, anyone else having trouble?

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

the chaos engine posted:

It's a bit tricky with Game Boy stuff since you only get 4 colours to work with, but the general approach is to only use the two lightest colours in the background. You're in too deep for that at this point I think, so maybe try this: Give the sprites and platforms an outline in the lightest colour?

Yeah, I've had a few people mention the white outlines method, it's been a bit of a trend for modern takes on games with the 4 colour palette as of late, but not one I particularly like.

I mean, I didn't really get that many complaints from the game itself, but I get a lot from the GIF's; so if my audience grows (which would be nice) then this stuff could become a bigger issue. So I'm probably just going to ditch the background platforms - to be fair, I didn't have them for every level anyway!

A lot of the pixel art in the game is showing it's age now, remember, this was literally my first attempt at pixel art :D

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Palooka posted:

Do you actually transfer into the background during the game?

Naw, it's a one touch game - I did toy with the idea, but it was probably going to add too long to the development time.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Besesoth posted:

Forgive me for asking, but is the game available anywhere? (e: never mind, it's in your first post in the thread: Jack B. Nimble for iOS)

There's a lot of stuff that looks odd in non-interactive GIFs but actually works in the context of a game. (For instance, I've been meaning to ask if the high foreground density and trees passing in front of the play area were deliberately planned to increase the game's difficulty, but it might not be all that big an issue in play.)

edit: Having played the game: At least for me, this is one of those situations; when you can actually take the time to look at the whole picture, like in the GIFs, it looks busy, but it works really well in-game and doesn't interfere with player perception at all. I was always able to tell where the jumping platforms were, and the background did a good job of fading out when I was concentrating on timing jumps and whips. (And the trees flashing by in the extreme foreground absolutely do add to the difficulty, although I'm not sure if it was deliberate.)

Yes, the foreground elements are intended to add visual noise and difficulty :)

Updated the third level now :)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

I've felt really "meh" lately, guess I'm starting to get bored with working on the same game for so long.

Did a pixel dailies to get away from it for a bit...

Could be better.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Kinda worked...

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Trying a larger sprite than usual.

Ween fans might get the reference...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

I thought that was a woman until I read below your image. :sweatdrop:
Same :D

Added another colour scheme as well as a couple tweaks to the second level art and attack animations...

Edit:

Oh, and I also did a Pixel Dailies...

It's a Pacman!

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 27, 2015