Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I know it was ages ago but i hope you ended up going with the lighter one it looks a whole lot better!

I started doing some stuff for a friends game and decided to give pixel art a try and it is a lot of fun so far. I've always struggled with colors and I think having to select them beforehand and worry about how they'll interact with each other has actually made me a lot better.

here area couple of the character portraits from it and one of the area select pictures (none of them are actually finished yet though):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Ah thanks guys. That looks really cool exclamation marx, I love your palette it works amazingly well with those textures

barge
Jun 12, 2006

What programs do people use for animation? I tried a few of the ones in the OP and they really blew! I've been using paint.net for pixel stuff and I really like it but it it pretty lousy at making animated gifs.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Ah I gave aseprite another try and it actually seems pretty good, thanks!

Seashell those look pretty good but an easy change would be to turn down the volume on that floor (maybe the contrast, saturation or tone could be tweaked) to make it not stand out so much.

also exclamation marx that rules!!

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I didn't realize it was climbing at first and thought it was his little dance animation. It looks good I htink the climb will make sense when he is actually moving.

I've been trying out animation and man I dunno how people have the patience for it. I made a little horse today

and then tried to make a rider but it is just way too much work to try and animate him properly or finish cleaning it up.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

yeah you're completely right - that was just beyond my skill level. I really like your cat and so I tried some simpler stuff and it was a lot more rewarding

I didn't use a 3d model though >:(

edit: coldrice I hope you double up with that animation and play it when you finish a level!

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Wanted to play around with pixel art and animation after a while so I made these for president's day. Aseprite is so much fun but I kinda wanna find something that can handle dithering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barge
Jun 12, 2006

rinski posted:

To add... something to the thread, here's a thing I drew during a drink & draw meetup. I don't know why I drew an early 00's emo kid in an emo house on top of a body horror platform, but if you start at the bottom and work your way up it's like an accurate measure of my blood alcohol level over time.

The textures you use are really cool and alien looking, especially when there are load of different ones all in one screen like some of those earlier shots.

Just curious, is the greyscale a placeholder you're planning on coloring or are you sticking with it? Kind of hoping it stays because it looks neat with the only colors being character outlines on top of the grey