Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valen
Oct 1, 2009
I played through the game at launch and I remember maxing out one tree and making a huge dent in another. I recall maxing signs and taking most of the talents in swords, after filling in the training tree so I'm pretty sure you get a ton of points to spend on whatever you want. If a talent sounds cool, take it because even if it turns out to not be as awesome as you thought it was, you still get so many points you can afford to mis-use one here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Just got this after having finished the first game just last week.

There's a lot of stuff I really like in this one. It's obviously an absolutely gorgeous game, the combat stands head and shoulders above the first game and I can think of few games that had such... believable dialogue.

Still, I think I won't pick it back up until the Panel Tweaks has been updated to work with the Enhanced Edition or there is a new, similar mod which fixes the most glaring UI issues (the tiny, slowly scrolling tooltips in the inventory in particular is just plain inexcusable)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
This is my third playthrough so I'm going down the only tree I haven't done; Alchemy. I didn't realize the talent for making bombs/traps twice as strong was one of the first things on the list... It's kinda invaluable in dark mode against Nekkers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

This is my third playthrough so I'm going down the only tree I haven't done; Alchemy. I didn't realize the talent for making bombs/traps twice as strong was one of the first things on the list... It's kinda invaluable in dark mode against Nekkers.
Every tree seems invaluable, which is nice. My first play through I went swords/signs and I can't imagine not having Heliotrope and a nice Axii/Yrden/Quen, then realized that Axii can be duplicated by Red Haze bombs, good use of parry/riposte can cover most quen situations, and Yrden shares similarities with a quick snare set after a roll.

I just can't see not putting any points into swords: None of my signs/bombs ever got good enough that I'd feel okay without wading into the fight after a few throws/casts. The other two seem much more supporting that swords unless Igni actually gets good enough to kill things really fast.

edit: Unrelately, Letho's Aard hitting for 75 is bullshit.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 24, 2012

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

etalian posted:

On the other hand it will punish you will the classic cave maze exploring level.

You've got one of them on Roche's path too after you cross the mists to the Dwarven side of the map. Seriously - gently caress whoever thought those Dwarven mines were ever a good loving idea.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
The maze on the Roche path was far worse I recall, took loving forever

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's an awful lot of candor in this setting. It's quite refreshing.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
^^^ What does that even mean? If you mean the thread, well that's a weird thing to say. If you're talking about the game, then you are in for a treat everyone is a lying douchebag.

Ravenfood posted:

Every tree seems invaluable, which is nice. My first play through I went swords/signs and I can't imagine not having Heliotrope and a nice Axii/Yrden/Quen, then realized that Axii can be duplicated by Red Haze bombs, good use of parry/riposte can cover most quen situations, and Yrden shares similarities with a quick snare set after a roll.

I just can't see not putting any points into swords: None of my signs/bombs ever got good enough that I'd feel okay without wading into the fight after a few throws/casts. The other two seem much more supporting that swords unless Igni actually gets good enough to kill things really fast.

The only swordsmanship talent I have is the first level roll distance in crease :smug:

To the dude who asked if alchemy was good, yeah all talents are pretty good and you probably won't gently caress yourself up, but alchemy is poo poo for a first time player. The counter ticking down in dialog can gently caress you up and you need to really plan ahead for things. You get a ton of points in the game and if you really want to do alchemy, make sure to get some combat skills early on in either the signs or sword tree.

That said, Heliotrope with Berzerk mode is hilarious. You like 2 shot Greater Rotfiends with light attacks and it lasts forever. All of the passive bonuses you get for being poisoned are really great but further cement the fact that you alawys need to be poisoned. A swallow and random potion of choice is usually good to get you there but I like to customize my mix for certain fights.

But I guess I hosed up because I didn't get the bomb talent and barely use them.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I only ever go full swords and never put a single point in anything else. Nor do I use potions or signs (I might Aard someone if I remember I can do that, but not likely.).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My first playthrough I maxed out both Swords and Signs with like 2 or 3 points in Alchemy... granted, I only got Heliotrope basically right at the end before you fight the army of Nilfgaard guys while rescuing Triss, but still... it made that specific fight all the more ridiculously badass.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

beer_war posted:

Still, I think I won't pick it back up until the Panel Tweaks has been updated to work with the Enhanced Edition or there is a new, similar mod which fixes the most glaring UI issues (the tiny, slowly scrolling tooltips in the inventory in particular is just plain inexcusable)
I never realized there was a Nexus site for The Witcher. Though now I am a little sad to see all the mods to pretty up Geralt.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So how IS the frame rate on the 360? Does it dip in town and the other places it does on my PC?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So how IS the frame rate on the 360? Does it dip in town and the other places it does on my PC?

I finished chaper 1 and had no problems at all. The only thing I noticed was some tearing, but not enough to really bother me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Cheap bastard way to beat Letho part 2: Chug anything that increases Vigor regeneration beforehand. Aard him, four hit sword combo, Aard again, four hit sword combo, and repeat. Battle was over in seven seconds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

Cheap bastard way to beat Letho part 2: Chug anything that increases Vigor regeneration beforehand. Aard him, four hit sword combo, Aard again, four hit sword combo, and repeat. Battle was over in seven seconds.
Fifteen or so grapeshots thrown in rapid succession so he gets locked into trying to cast Quen over and over again but fails also does it.

Remember, Geralt isn't the kind of person who wants a fair fight. Think of him as Leon in The Professional, dirty tricks are his stock in trade.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, the name of the game is, "break the game before it breaks you," huh? I am familiar with this philosophy. It usually crops up in Disgaea games.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Fifteen or so grapeshots thrown in rapid succession so he gets locked into trying to cast Quen over and over again but fails also does it.

This was my strategy after getting my rear end beat a few times. I don't remember it taking quite that many bombs, but I might have gotten a couple sword hits in first though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Well, well, well, remember how some of you guys were asking for some bigger UI text? Just released:

Comfy Couch - Increases text size of many elements, most notably the journal, loot tables, quest text, the combat log (thank loving god) and NPC one-liners. First playthrough safe!

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 25, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well, well, well, remember how some of you guys were asking for some bigger UI text? Just released:

Comfy Couch - Increases text size of many elements, most notably the journal, loot tables, quest text, and NPC one-liners. First playthrough safe!
Thanks! I guess the only thing that's left is making the icons and stuff in the upper right and lower left just a little bit bigger.

edit: one thing I've often wondered, if there are any Polish speakers here, is there something about the Polish language that makes things likely to be translated to -er in English? Witchers, drowners, nekkers, Yennefer...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2012

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
I just finished Chapter 1 and went through the first quest of Chapter 2, about how far into the game am I?

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: one thing I've often wondered, if there are any Polish speakers here, is there something about the Polish language that makes things likely to be translated to -er in English? Witchers, drowners, nekkers, Yennefer...

I don't think there's anything in the mechanics of Polish that makes english translations end in an -er suffix. Its just the way things worked out. (Yennefer is Yennefer in polish also)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just started and oh god I have no idea what's going on. :ohdear:

There's a king and bastards and stuff? I read the wikipedia article on Witcher 1. So this king is the who almost got killed in Witcher 1? And his daughter is the one that got turned into a monster and then ended up trying to help the guys wanting to take over the kingdom?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Capsaicin posted:

I just started and oh god I have no idea what's going on. :ohdear:

There's a king and bastards and stuff? I read the wikipedia article on Witcher 1. So this king is the who almost got killed in Witcher 1? And his daughter is the one that got turned into a monster and then ended up trying to help the guys wanting to take over the kingdom?

All correct, but only the assassination attempt matters to the current story.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

InvisibleHand posted:

I don't think there's anything in the mechanics of Polish that makes english translations end in an -er suffix. Its just the way things worked out. (Yennefer is Yennefer in polish also)
Yeah, I was joking about Yennefer. After all, I barely knew her.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Foltest has a legitimate daughter, Adda, and two bastards (at least?). If you saved his daughter in witcher 1, she's married to the King of Redania, which means she's taken off the line of succession. I think the 360 version has her dead, though I'm not sure.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Is parry/block worth using? I didn't bother with it at all in my original playthrough, but I'm thinking of trying it again on dark mode now that quen is nerfed and the whole fatigue thing is in.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Cityinthesea posted:

Foltest has a legitimate daughter, Adda, and two bastards (at least?). If you saved his daughter in witcher 1, she's married to the King of Redania, which means she's taken off the line of succession. I think the 360 version has her dead, though I'm not sure.

Yeah, the default has her dead, though I can see why. It took a pretty obtuse method in The Witcher 1 to keep her alive instead of killing her outright.

I remember there being a bug in one of the early versions of TW2 where the chief of Lobindon is telling the story of Geralt and Adda's first encounter, and he always mentioned that she was killed, despite her being alive and well in my game.

folgore posted:

Is parry/block worth using? I didn't bother with it at all in my original playthrough, but I'm thinking of trying it again on dark mode now that quen is nerfed and the whole fatigue thing is in.

Definitely, but keep in mind that there is no counter prompt in Dark mode. You have to base your timing on your opponent's attack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Beanpants posted:

Definitely, but keep in mind that there is no counter prompt in Dark mode. You have to base your timing on your opponent's attack.

Yes there is.

EDIT: Also hell yes Comfy Couch works on the combat log, too :woop:

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 25, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the content in the 360 version the same as on the PC? Does it have all the same nudity and salty language and such?

edit: I asked because apparently the 360 version isn't coming out in Japan, where they have much stronger rules against that stuff, but only on consoles.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Yes, it has everything. The only real difference aside from graphics is that it has way more doors, and pretty much every door is a loading screen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Kingslayers in Arena mode are such, such bullshit. Even on normal they'll kill you in a flurry and they're always twirling their blades around like assholes.

edit: or not. They went down incredibly easy one time somehow.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 25, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DMBFan23 posted:

I just finished Chapter 1 and went through the first quest of Chapter 2, about how far into the game am I?

Around 30% the real meat of the game is in the second Act while the final Act is really threadbare and doesn't take much time to finish.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Didn't they say they buffed the 3rd act for the Enhanced Edition?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lotish posted:

Didn't they say they buffed the 3rd act for the Enhanced Edition?

Yep. But apparently it's only an extra 2-3 hours worth of stuff.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
'only'.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Chapter 3 is fairly similar no matter which side you spent chapter 2 on, right?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In terms of gameplay, it's two quests per path that equal out to about an hour or two of extra content. Beyond that, however, there's a good amount of expanded conversations, a lot more information about the location of Act 3, and the ending has a lot more meat to it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wouldn't say that. Same location and same final boss. But there's another major decision to be made, and the degree to which the rest of it is different from what you can possibly do on the other path depends on what you choose.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not really. The main quests are still separate, but the two paths share the location and side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Donny posted:

Not really. The main quests are still separate, but the two paths share the location and side quests.

Yup it's sort of disappointing after the Chapter 2 experience for this reason.

At least you can arm wrestle a steroid addicted junkie.

• Locked thread