Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Turn vsync on. It won't increase your FPS, but if you don't have an FPS counter you'll think it did.

It was really counter-intuitive to me, and I only turned it on in desperation because AFAIK they don't implement swap-tear (google "swap-tear extension") and I don't get 60 FPS except in especially uncomplicated scenes, but it makes a world of difference. If I have it off, even in places where it goes up to 70 FPS and more, I get weird hitching, and it ends up about as playable as if I was getting 20 FPS.

It's especially weird because vsync by definition lowers FPS, or in an absolutely perfect implementation would at best not lower it, but give it a shot.

FPS is also terrible in the prologue and arena. Much more complex scenes in the real game do a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

nessin posted:

It makes perfect sense when you actually think about what FPS is, and what vsync does, rather than throwing the term out there as a measurement of more is better.

No, it really doesn't. Maybe you didn't understand the issue I was describing, or I didn't describe it well, but it both goes completely counter to every other game I've played (a whole lot) and my understanding of how vsync works (I've implemented it).

Anyway, if you're getting jitter in Witcher 2, try turning on vsync even if it renders below your monitor's refresh. If swap-tear is something you can force on, I'd try that (because it's a really nice way to get the best of both worlds) after verifying that turning the game-options version on rather than the driver options. It's possible to make a game unaware of sync-tear and still enable it, in which case it'd be the same (to the game engine, not to you) as if you had vsync disabled, and I suspect the jitter is due to a bug in Witcher's frame-dropping code.

Normally though, you'll get better results by only enabling vsync when you can reliably render at your monitor's refresh. (unless you have sync-tear available)

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Overlord7517 posted:

Ok so I installed the enhanced edition and now the game isn't working at all, even when I launch the launcher as admin or go into the files and run the application as an admin. I'm currently reinstalling, hope that works. Anyone else run into this problem?

I checked the tech support on the witcher website and found nothing regarding this.

[Turn most of this stuff down low. Especially bloom, they have to reneder each frame twice for that, same with motion blur I believe. Otherwise, it's all been covered well above. Don't forget vysnc.

Turn off the MOD_ things in DLC. Fixed the black screens for me.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I mean I'm not surprised given your custom title, but was this necessary?

I would love to see a third game in this series. CDPR probably produces some of the highest level of polish (I hate this pun) work in the industry. If I were less lazy, I would look into the development length and budget of the two games in comparison to other studios but I refuse to believe these guys aren't some of the most talented devs around. Compared to other RPGs released at their respective times, both games have some fantastic graphics. The witcher 2 still amazes me walking through the forests with the sunbeams streaming down.

I'm not saying both games don't have their problems (bugs, bad design decisions, etc) but they're still great.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with Mass Effect 3 and its whole ending fiasco? His post was, I think, a general compliment to CD Projekt. Essentially, everything Bioware did wrong with Mass Effect 3, they did right with Witcher 2.

ME3 was basically my pre-order last straw, but based on what they've done with Witcher 2, I'll pre-order 3 without hesitation.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Samurai Sanders posted:

While watching that I couldn't figure out if it was a peasant's dream of having sex with Saskia or Saskia's dream of having sex with a peasant. It's labeled as "peasant's dream" though so it's the former I guess. That's more boring.

Awww man, I saw it as Sakia dreaming about having a gangbang with a bunch of dwarves. Way less fun the other way around.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Holy goddamn!

Saw this on a random forum, decided to give it a shot because the FPS on this game was so utterly poo poo compared to everything else I play.

How to gain 10-15 FPS in The Witcher 2:

1.) Delete Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher 2\bin\paul.dll

That's it. With it in, I get 48-50 FPS on the screen my current load comes up at. I take it out, 60 FPS solid (vsync on). I put it back in, 48-50. I take it out, 60.

More importantly, even when I wiggle the view around, the last of the "hitchiness" is gone! Jesus Christ I'm in chapter 3, I wish I hadn't given up trying to fix it before. Vsync got rid of the extremely noticeable hitching, this .dll thing got rid of an extremely subtle hitching I couldn't put my finger on--it just seemed to look shittier than it should for the framerate--until I flipped back-and-forth with the .dll about 6 times making this post. The plants moving in the wind are beautiful! Turning is no longer completely disorienting!

Note: Strangely enough, my CPU usage is slightly higher with paul.dll gone. 44-45% with it there, 49-51% with it gone. I don't care why, somebody else investigate if you care, this is awesome and I'm going to play this game. gently caress you, paul.dll.

My system:
Athlon 965 X4 BE
ATI 6950 2GB
1920x1200

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
That could be why I have it, I've had the game installed since release. It's a DRM .dll, SecurROM if I remember correctly. Maybe that's why it tolerates having it removed, because they disabled the DRM? I thought I would have to get the un-DRM'd exe, but it just worked.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Yrden makes the Endrega Queens piss easy. Once they trip it, go in and hit them with heavy attacks. Be aware that Yrden won't always ensnare them. If they stop moving, but keep turning to face you they aren't ensnared or if they obviously keep on walking. You'll get probably 4 or 5 attacks before they'll block and counter attack. Also, they have a limited area they can move in. If you get far enough away, they will get stuck on the edge of their leashed area. If you want to be cheap, you can lure them to that point then hit them from afar with signs or bombs while they can't touch you.

Pick up 10 snare traps. Drop all in the exact same spot, no need to move at all, traps can occupy the same space in Witcherland. Mark with Yrden, kill egg sack, draw queen over your glowing traps, queen dies instantly. Collect your 10 snare traps, strut out to the Bee Gees.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That teaser looks 80's as hell, though.

I cannot think of a better possible throwback setting for cyberpunk than 80s pop culture seen through an eastern European lens.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Attention Horse posted:

IGN says that this new CD Projekt game is actualy called... "Cyberpunk" and is based on Cyberpunk 2020.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/30/cd-projekt-red-announces-cyberpunk

Hooooley shiiiit

This is going to be the best game ever.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
My favorite game company recruited the designer of my favorite game system in my favorite setting, to make a videogame. For me, for little 'ol me and me alone. My god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

ItheWelp87 posted:

Is there a reason this game's movement is so jerky? My fps is fine and my computer should be able to handle everything fine, but whenever Geralt starts running it looks like he's warping or something.

Turning ON vsync solved a lot of jitter for me.

• Locked thread