Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jetfire posted:

As far as horrifying moments go, Roche's path has it won with (pretty big spoiler) walking into the tent filled with hanging Blue Stripes whereas when I played Iorveth's path last time Dethmold's end was incredibly boring. Nothing like Roche carving his junk into a vagina in the middle of his BDSM session. Seriously, night and day there.

For me Iorveth's path wins the most horrifying moments, only because of Philippa getting her eyes gouged out. That seriously made my stomach turn.:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Any tips for the gargoyle quest in Act3? I found the three areas but have no idea what order to do it in even with the notes.

By notes do you mean the books that describe elven symbols? If not you need to get them from Bras of Ban Ard at the marketplace. In every book a symbol is desribed that matches one of the different symbols in the 'gargoyle rooms'. With this information you need to work out which symbol corresponds to what part of the poems in the rooms. The order the symbols appear in the poems is the order they need to be extinguished.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Apparently ubersampling renders each frame multiple times to provide even better antialiasing/filtering? Sounds kind of redundant to be honest. Oh yeah, I also couldn't activate either of the depth of field options, they absolutely killed my fps.

Someone posted comparison shots when the game came out and I actually think it looked better with ubersampling off. With ubersampling certain features and textures get a "smeared" look.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

farfidnuggin posted:

I keep going back to play through Iorveth's path and to try the EE stuff, but gently caress, I can't muster the will to blow off Vernon. I instinctively just go with Vernon.

If it helps any you're still pretty much bbf with Roche, even if you side with Iorveth.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

As they spoke of after The Witcher 2 was released, CDP is working on a sequel as well as another RPG, using a different setting.

quote:

Our mature dark-fantasy world is well known around the world, though if you can’t stomach dwarves, elves or sorceresses who put their ample charms on display in Playboy magazine, we’ve got also something special that might be right up your alley! We’re looking for people who would rather work on an entirely new and different IP – a vast RPG for which we want to assemble the best possible staff. It represents an opportunity for you to create a grand new project from the ground up!

http://cdpred.com/

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

This is a good thing. That teaser looks 80's as hell, though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Act 2 was good, though Vergen was a loving nightmare to navigate, so I'm glad to be out of it.

You're gonna love Loc Muinne.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

I just completed the game as an alchemist witcher. Really really powerful. I defeated the (chapter 3) operator while buffed in two hits. So much easier than my first time.

Did you have any trouble with the end of Act 2? Have they done anything about the Standard bearer fight?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

There are hours and hours and hours of content you get by doing Roche's path. They weren't kidding when they said there were two different Act 2s, it's pretty amazing to see things from the other side.

I think he asked about new content in Act I. In which case it's like Cheston said, it's only until the very last mission in Flotsam the game branches off.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, Witcher 2 is probably the most demanding game you can play right now. I'd get some benchmark program and see if the same thing happens.

Only other thing I can think of is the install is hosed somehow, although random colors and hard locks sounds hardware-related. If you've checked the temperature of the GPU (with different monitoring utilities) I suppose it could be the power supply or bad RAM.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lycus posted:

Most of the differences are fairly minor bits of dialogue though, right? It seems like the only thing that provides a real noticeable difference to the default game is if you use a save where you sided with the Order in Chapter 4.

This is the only thing I was disappointed with. I can certainly understand why they, like Bioware, don't make the predecessor tie heavily in to the current game in the series. But considering choices and branching paths are such a big part of both games it's still a shame more of that stuff didn't carry over.

I may have confused what I wanted to hear with what they actually said but didn't the devs say before release there were going to be different starting points in 2 depending on the ending of 1?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Good news: You only need to get him down to half of his health and this fight will only be hard one time, we've all been there.

If you've got a sword build and enough stamina, just laying into him with light and heavy blows and a few shots of aard whenever his quen is down is a good tactic.

Placing yrdens to get him stuck doesn't work every time but is very effective when it does, since it means you can get behind him and strike at his back.

Bombs and traps alone or in combination is also a viable tactic.

If you go back a few pages in this thread there are many more advice on this fight. Stick with it!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

Also they're going to open Witcher 2 to modding so it'd be interesting what awesome things fans can come up with.

Did anything really great come out of the modding tools for Witcher 1? It feels like the Witcher series should have a devout fanbase of nerds who churn out good mods. But I've never heard of Witcher mods being a thing like, say, Elder Scrolls mods (obviously a lot more popular series but still).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Hello Witcher thread, I'm bumping this because I'm downloading TW1 on GOG and possibly TW2 if I end up enjoying it. I've always been interested in playing this series but I can be kind of picky about RPGs and lose drive easily if it's really unclear what I should be doing or where I should be going...anything you could recommend to keep that from happening in the first game?

Be careful with TW1, it's pretty easy to get stuck in the main quest in some parts. Hopefully you will stick with it but even if you don't, check out TW2 anyway. It's a very different game from 1, more focused and only marginally connected to 1 story-wise.

Regarding shadows, that's how the game renders them. Don't know if there are any tweaks for that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

As someone not familiar with Cyber Punk, that looks really cool and Blade Runner-esque.

Hope they will have some gameplay for the W3 reveal.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

This is a few days old so maybe it's been posted elsewhere (there's no W3 thread, is there?) but CDP Red released an image from their new engine. It looks very Witcher-related.

It's so small in size it's difficult to see how big an improvement it is over the last engine but it certainly looks nice.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh boy! 2014 is a long ways off, a bit early to get excited, but they seem to be on the right track.

Interesting how they directly compare W3 to Skyrim, it seems the two series are set for competition. Which can only turn out well for us players, now that Gothic is dead. :)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Can't wait to go sailing for whales. :dance:

So what type of places are Novigrad and Skellinge in terms of landscape and culture? Some of the screenshots show viking-inspired stuff like longships and horned helmets. Would that be in Novigrad or Skellinge?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

That sounds great, the potion system in 2 sorely needed improvement. Unique versions of common monster à la Witcher 1 also sounds cool.

In other news, W3 will be released simultaneously on all high-end platform, including Playstation 4. Not very suprising, even W2 was pretty clearly adapted for consoles in some ways. But I wonder if W3 will be the same top-of-the-line game graphically that W2 was.

They've said PC comes first and all that but it seems difficult to produce a game for multiple platforms at the same time while making one version radically different in regards to graphical quality (assuming Playstation 4 and next-gen xbox aren't going to total beasts).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Try turning off Vertical sync is the first thing to do. SSAO is another thing that is very resource-intensive that I know of. Other than that, like Smol said it's a very taxing game for the GPU. And the 5830 wasn't that great even at its release three years ago.

Don't know about the long loading times, though. I also have it installed on a normal SATA hdd, a 'green' one to boot, and less RAM than you and I've never experienced that problem. I guess your last effort would be a re-install.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I guess Polish or Russian are the best VOs but has anyone tried French or German? I can imagine those work pretty well, too, for a 'medieval' game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

In Rainbows posted:

My first playthrough I used Quen all the time, but I just replayed it two days ago for Iorveth's path and I never used Quen. Literally not a single time. I actually leveled up magic this time instead of the sword path like I first did, and I found that spamming Aard and Igni was great. Yrden I used only for really big guys.

I found this to be true as well on my second playthrough, and I went swordmanship. I did use it a couple of times for boss fights but usually it's just easier to roll in and out of enemy groups.

For me at least, whenever I stood still I got surrounded by enemies, which almost immediately dropped my quen. I'd rather use my vigor for something else.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Wow, they really brought out the big guns for those vids, didn't they? This is going to be great.

Ice Fist posted:

Do we have an estimated release date on this game yet? Whenever that is can't come soon enough.

TBA 2014, so probably at the end of that year or even in 2015. They seem to already have a lot of the environment done already though, but I imagine there is still much to be done.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone else think Geralt's body proportions look kind of weird in Witcher 3? I can't tell if it's just the armour or what.

My first thought exactly. In the first picture his arse is about twice the size of his head and his shoulders are five times his arse.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Revener posted:

I spent the entirety of Witcher 1 turning down all advances from every sex object, and went especially out of my way to fly the ol' one-finger flag at Triss at every opportunity.

So why, then, is Triss still sleeping with Geralt at the start of 2? I don't get it, how can I tell this game in no uncertain terms that I am not interested in this embarrassingly hamfisted crap? Can it be modded out?

But... they're in love. :blush: Apart from the beginning and one optional sex scene in chapter 1, there is nowhere near the same level of that stuff going on in Witcher 2.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yep, still excited about this game. I wonder if there is any significance to "multi-region open world", as opposed to just open world?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

alex314 posted:

I think it means regions differ significantly, so you get swamps, forests, snow-covered mountains etc.

I don't quite remember, but I think they've talked about different areas being very distinct, yeah. And also that you'll be able to travel freely but not right from the start (or that some areas will be too difficult at low levels.

Speaking of levels, it's kinda funny how Geralt start from scratch in 2 and, presumably, 3, despite being a veteran witcher. I wouldn't want amnesia for every game but it would be cool if some specific skills from 2 carried over to the next game. Throne of Bhaal-style.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

This isn't entirely true. Both games have you start with a level one character, but story-wise, Witcher 2 Geralt at least started with all his signs that were in the first game, as well as some combat moves.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the signs. Of course Geralt started out being very proficient with sword in 2 but were there really specific moves taken from the first game?

Anyway, that's a good way to keep skills between games. To add to what Mickey McKey said, they could let you start with an adrenaline bar and one of the top skills from 2, though obviously nerfed compared to 2. So you start with, for example, the group finisher ability, but at lvl 1 it only lets you deal extra damage to two enemies at the same time and you can upgrade it from there.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, youtuber MrBTongue (guy who does Plinkett-style criticisms of RPGs) just uploaded a video where he talks about the Witcher 1&2 and how they did things differently from the rest of the genre:

http://youtu.be/qRsqAmuxjNk

It's 10 mins or so, and worth watching imo.

That was great. Interesting take on The Witcher and 'realism' in games. I hate when people are all "oh, you don't think that makes sense in this game about dragons??"

His other videos were interesting as well, like the one about why Morrowind is such a great game, thanks for introducing me to this guy. It's always good to have someone more eloquent and knowledgeable put your feelings into words. :)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Interesting!

quote:

Q: In many RPGs today, you can become a demigod after grinding around for a few hours. In Skyrim, for example, I was killing dragons with one arrow after the 50-hour mark. How can you ensure that the game will constantly challenge the player?

A: I don't think this was an issue in our previous games, so I don't see why it should be an issue in Wild Hunt. We've made sure the game feels balanced at all times. We love Skyrim and we’re huge fans, but this is a different game. Skyrim was an out-and-out open-world game, while ours is a story-driven game that unfolds in an open-world scenario. The priorities of both games are very different.

You will be able to explore the game world of the The Witcher 3, but in a lot of ways, we'll be subtly reminding you about the plot. Do all the side-quests you want, but don't forget there is a story waiting for you - that I personally feel is the most rewarding part of the game.

Well...

Everything else sound good, though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Leb posted:

e: btw, here are some nifty slides that were posted over on NG... looks like a few new details here and there:

No QTEs and stances are back!

Graphic quality looks about the same as 2 in those shots. Impressive, considering this one is open-world.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the grayer, washed-out color palette. I know it's bleak "dark fantasy" and all but I really liked how vibrant Witcher 2 looked.

Agreed. But to be fair, that could be just a particular area. W2 took place pretty far south, in a jungle among other places. The screenshots all seem to be from the same autumnal area.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Witcher 1 was updated on Gog. Either the game itself or some extras, but I can't tell. Anybode know?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Playing Morrowind, if I didn't feel like getting lost in a dungeon I just...did stuff that didn't involve dungeons. Doesn't Skyrim have stuff like that?

You got lost in Morrowind dungeons?

Dungeons in both Morrowind and Skyrim (but not Oblivion), even though they were pretty straight forward, had that epic feeling to them. I had a blast exploring them because there were enough unique rooms that you never knew what you'd find. The Witcher is obviously more low-key about it's dungeons but I hope we will find some gigantic cave/forgotten underground city/evil temple.

Working so hard on my backlog right now, this and PoE is gonna take up so much of my time. I'm itching for a third play through of 2, that rarely ever happens with me.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lycus posted:

That one had to do with who let take care of Alvin. :) I don't remember the autopsy really affecting anything. It might lead you to suspect the wrong person of the murder, but everything after that unfolds the same I think.

It affects the boss fight in the swamp, don't remember how exactly, but not the story.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

it's super cool fyi

edit: spoilers

Why do you get to work at CDP and not me? :mad:

Actually, I think there were some new gameplay sequences in the "teaser for the teaser" released the other week. They showed parts from the first trailer, but slightly longer it seemed.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

poo poo, those environments. :stare:

GOTY 2015 for €35 (counting the money you get back as a bonus code)? Yes please.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Leb posted:

So I'll just keep posting every few minutes and... wait, what? OK, I'm almost positive that's Letho standing behind you at 0:30 in the bottom right of the frame. Tell me I'm not imagining that?

Wow, I think you're right. Those wood trunk arms could only belong to him.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cool. Geralt can now literally cut people in half. Only thing I'm not completely sold on are the animations, didn't look very fluid when moving over terrain and some of the combat moves looked a little too fast. But I guess they are still work in progress?

Will all monster hunts end in a cutscene like that when you defeat them (but without QTE, as previously stated)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It wouldn't be a Witcher game without clunky combat.

Actually, I remember a lot of people didn't like the animations for W2 when the first trailers for that game showed up. But when actually playing 2, animations look pretty great or you don't really notice any flaws. So I'm gonna hold my judgement on that one. I've also been playing a lot of AssCreed lately, so I'm comparing animations to those games, which are excellent.

Just listened to the sample soundtrack you get on Gog for preordering. The song at the start of the new trailer isn't included (:mad:), but overall I like the fact there seem to be a lot of female choirs in the soundtrack.

• Locked thread