Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I think it makes perfect sense narratively to end the books with Geralt trying to commit a stupid act of heroism and getting stabbed in the heart with a pitchfork by a random, dumb, racist peasant.

I hated the saga's ending since I first read it. Not only that, everyone I know hate it also and/or consider it weak. It wasn't a matter of theme, it's just that Sapkowski gradually ran out of steam while writing the Witcher novels. The last one is really poor, even without taking the ending into account. You're literally the first person I've seen defending it.

Sapkowski's writing quality never really recovered, his later novels (Narrenturm) were simply weak, and his last novel, "Viper" (set in Afghanistan) was pretty much destroyed in the reviews. And rightfully so.

Funny thing about Witcher books is that Sapkowski didn't really care about the lore that much. I remember reading an interview where he said that he didn't bother making a map of the Witcher world. He just wrote Geralt's journeys as he saw fit. The game writing team, on the other hand, made some of the lore and in many parts did it better than Sapkowski. I love'em for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Flumpus posted:

Aren't they working on The Witcher 3 though? I thought at one point they said they had two teams now, and are working on a dark fantasy RPG and a new IP RPG...

They sure are. Few months ago they put ads on their site. They were looking for new writers for Witcher 3. Interviews were held in Warsaw.

Cyberpunk RPG is great news. Goddamn, at this point any cyberpunk game which isn't a stupid FPS (or stealth game with awful bosses) is great news.

Megazver posted:

They know their (Eastern European) audience.

Real funny.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

A Humble Emperor posted:

I wonder if Triss will be involved given the blonde haired lady in that picture and the fact Yennefer will presumably be around too.

The blonde girl is most probably Ciri - Geralt's kind-of-adopted-daughter. He trained her to be witcher (witcheress?) in the novels. That inclusion would really pump the fandom up.

The game sounds spectacular. I hope they go further down the Dark Souls/Dragon's Dogma route. Unforgivable difficulty, bleakness all around. Fits the world like a glove.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Lareine posted:

I wouldn't know. I haven't read the books.

The secret to reading the Witcher books is to only get the short stories. The saga is really not good and it's got a really terrible ending that pretty much everyone hated.

• Locked thread