Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«154 »
the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

wtf how did that post get in here

the yeti fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Woodpile posted:

I'm after anything that's not a panfish. I can catch those all day long. Yesterday I went to Dorey Park which has a pond they stock with trout and channel cats. There's also a pier. I was the only one there so I got to put three lines in the water with cut bait going for catfish. I did catch a 16" largemouth, but it was really skinny. Other than the bait I caught that was my only fish.

I can only comment for bass fishing, but I've only fished Dorey a couple times and never had much luck. I like both Echo Lake and Three Lakes parks for bass, Echo because I generally have good luck and think the scenery is nice, and Three Lakes has pretty nice sized bass and pickerel. Both parks have much less access from the bank than Dorey though. I don't have any experience with catfish though, but both should be stocked. Feel to reply or PM me if you want any specific advice on fishing them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got a SOCOM scout and twenty extra mags
And a couple severed heads in my bug-out bag

Ghostnuke posted:

Ugh, skunked again today. I'm starting to think I just don't know wtf I'm doing fishing out of a boat on a lake. I went the entirety of 2019 without getting skunked, but only bank fishing. I see the fish on my sonar, I see them jumping around me, they just won't get in the goddamn boat.

The ideas remain the same, the only thing that changes is the angle you fish from. Don't get wrapped up in your electronics, just focus on what you know and how to do it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012

Gravy Boat 2k

Fished the surf with little success this morning at sunrise. Some porgies, croakers, catfish and one keeper whiting. The sandbar was pretty long and shallow so we waded out to the edge and casted as far as we could. I think the keepers were way out there beyond reach due to salinity levels from all the rain. The pelicans were dive bombing them out there.

This big bellied dude was throwing out big pieces of chunk bait and catching black tip sharks for fun with the his little boy, casting out past the bar. The kid was loving it. Of course he got them to shore and released from there so they definitely cruised past us on the way back out. Four footers. I figure they're everywhere anyways, so what the hell.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Elmnt80 posted:

The ideas remain the same, the only thing that changes is the angle you fish from. Don't get wrapped up in your electronics, just focus on what you know and how to do it.

I posted about it in my local FB group and I got a guy to spill all the beans about where/how to catch wiper there. It was really surprising and refreshing because most of the time these guys are like, "did you check in the water? HURRRR"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

Ugh, skunked again today. I'm starting to think I just don't know wtf I'm doing fishing out of a boat on a lake. I went the entirety of 2019 without getting skunked, but only bank fishing. I see the fish on my sonar, I see them jumping around me, they just won't get in the goddamn boat.
In my experience, fishing stripers/wipers/white bass is best done at dusk, just after the sun has left the water. Fan-cast a 1/2 oz Mepps and look for the swirls. Let the birds tell you where the bait is and start there. Where current meets points is best in the reservoirs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006
Someone on the internet doesn't like me

Ghostnuke posted:

I posted about it in my local FB group and I got a guy to spill all the beans about where/how to catch wiper there. It was really surprising and refreshing because most of the time these guys are like, "did you check in the water? HURRRR"

What was your big epiphany? I'm thousands of miles away so I'm not breaking your water I just like learning

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What was your big epiphany? I'm thousands of miles away so I'm not breaking your water I just like learning

Just location and presentation. This lake is kind of temperamental I guess, if you're not RIGHT ON them with the right lure you don't catch poo poo. I've also been throwing bass stuff mainly, and this lake is kinda poo poo for regular bass.

So basically he just said "go here and throw this" which on this lake is the only way you're going to catch anything, if someone tells you directly how. You'd spend forever trying to puzzle it out on your own, which jives with my experience so far.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got a SOCOM scout and twenty extra mags
And a couple severed heads in my bug-out bag

Hunh, I've always seen white bass as easy to catch, but that may be colored by a day where me, my dad and my uncle got in a gigantic school of them feeding on shad and absolutely destroyed several chrome and blue rat-l-traps. Legit stripped every bit of chrome off half a dozen after 100+ fish. Nothing over a pound and a half, but awesome fun at like 10-12 years old. (I'd still take a day like that, who am I kidding)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elmnt80 posted:

Hunh, I've always seen white bass as easy to catch, but that may be colored by a day where me, my dad and my uncle got in a gigantic school of them feeding on shad and absolutely destroyed several chrome and blue rat-l-traps. Legit stripped every bit of chrome off half a dozen after 100+ fish. Nothing over a pound and a half, but awesome fun at like 10-12 years old. (I'd still take a day like that, who am I kidding)
I had a day like that with stripers. My buddy has a place on a big reservoir in North Carolina. We shoved off in his row boat and there were 2# stripers swirling all around us. It was kinda funny watching these guys in $50k bass boats zoom all over the lake chasing fish, while we caught 80+ stripers in 2 hours in his dinky dinghy.

We've also got into the white bass over the same rocky point. The lake is full of gizzard shad and everything in the lake eats 'em. You'd see a school of shad get pushed up to the surface and then see 3-4 swirls of stripers or white bass immediately after.

To go a little deeper on what I said earlier, this guy right here in Nickel matches size and shape of the gizzard shad. When there are shad on the surface, fish it right on top of the water as fast as you can.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 2, 2020

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012

Gravy Boat 2k

I love these dream days fishing. Here's mine; Me and my son go out on our last party boat in SoCal. Hes 12 years old and we've gone out a few times before. We head to mexican waters just south of San Diego.

On these boats you usually fish rock fish. The monster of the trip is usually when someone catches a Ling Cod. You drop a piece of squid straight down to the reef and wait for a bite and reel it up. It's a blast and the galley has beers and burgers and everyone has fun and catches a burlap sack full of rock fish.

However, when it's yellowtail season it's a different game. The boats are booked solid and it's serious business.

Now on this trip there was no rhyme or reason there would be yellowtail in the grounds. Nobody expected them or planned for it. Normal rockfish 1/2 day party boat.

But, there they were. Schools of them in a place and time they never should have been. The mates were stunned. Reel em up! They cried and it suddenly went from squid strips to live anchovies as bait.

We caught our limits quickly and nothing fights like yellowtail. I've had them pull me all over in a kayak. But the best part was everyone saw how much fun my son was having and invited him to fight their fish, I'm sure they were tired anyways, and he obliged. I've never seen a kid so proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

I love these dream days fishing. Here's mine; Me and my son go out on our last party boat in SoCal. Hes 12 years old and we've gone out a few times before. We head to mexican waters just south of San Diego.

On these boats you usually fish rock fish. The monster of the trip is usually when someone catches a Ling Cod. You drop a piece of squid straight down to the reef and wait for a bite and reel it up. It's a blast and the galley has beers and burgers and everyone has fun and catches a burlap sack full of rock fish.

However, when it's yellowtail season it's a different game. The boats are booked solid and it's serious business.

Now on this trip there was no rhyme or reason there would be yellowtail in the grounds. Nobody expected them or planned for it. Normal rockfish 1/2 day party boat.

But, there they were. Schools of them in a place and time they never should have been. The mates were stunned. Reel em up! They cried and it suddenly went from squid strips to live anchovies as bait.

We caught our limits quickly and nothing fights like yellowtail. I've had them pull me all over in a kayak. But the best part was everyone saw how much fun my son was having and invited him to fight their fish, I'm sure they were tired anyways, and he obliged. I've never seen a kid so proud.
Now that is a fishing story.

«154 »