Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:negative: I keep missing this, poo poo expires apparently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Casu Marzu posted:

:negative: I keep missing this, poo poo expires apparently?

https://discord.gg/CJ9HeD

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I made a Discord channel: Goon Angling Society. I refuse to stop sending dickspoons around the world and I like you weirdos so please consider joining.

Oh poo poo. My only dicklure was claimed by the river in the depths (likely a tree) of the icy waters of the Colorado.

Do you have any to spare goon sir???

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gamera009 posted:

Oh poo poo. My only dicklure was claimed by the river in the depths (likely a tree) an enormous loving fish the likes that only someone as rugged as Hemingway could land except it was even bigger and meaner and destroyed a dudes pole like 10 minutes before and he had steel wire instead of mono but luckily I'm way tougher and I totally had the fish right up to shore but at the very last moment as I was getting the 2 cubic yard net it attacked me and the only thing I had to fight it off was the dick lure so it saved my life then the fish slipped into the icy waters of the Colorado.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I didn’t want to brag but...

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Green light for a week on Smith Mountain Lake. If I'm lucky there will be a boat involved. If not, I've had success from the bank going after lmb and little stripers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Green light for a week on Smith Mountain Lake. If I'm lucky there will be a boat involved. If not, I've had success from the bank going after lmb and little stripers.
Lotta good trout water up by there too if you're into that.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Oh poo poo. My only dicklure was claimed by the river in the depths (likely a tree) of the icy waters of the Colorado.

Do you have any to spare goon sir???

PM me. :wink:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Caught my first fish of 2020, a tiny catfish on a Mepps for some reason. Feels good!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

prom candy posted:

Caught my first fish of 2020, a tiny catfish on a Mepps for some reason. Feels good!

Here's to many more.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just spent $69.00 at Dicks.

They have a nice buy 6 get 2 free on lures, I loaded up on rooster tails and kastmasters.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just spent $69.00 at Dicks.

They have a nice buy 6 get 2 free on lures, I loaded up on rooster tails and kastmasters.
Nice! kastmasters are golden for catching anything that eats small fish in the southeast.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My first saltwater trip as an adult was mostly just casting practice :shobon: oh well!

I pitched some jigs at the mouth of a canal/creek with some docks and grass islands in the vicinity, got maybe a couple nibbles but nothing really notable. Public access off a park, ridiculous wake from all the intracoastal traffic. Saw lots of bait and a few jumping fish.

Rig was medium action rod, shimano spinning, 10# green trilene mono. Pics of the tackle and area below, looking forward to hearing about what I did wrong :shobon: but I think the tldr is maybe try live bait and and find a spot that’s quieter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

the yeti posted:

My first saltwater trip as an adult was mostly just casting practice :shobon: oh well!

I pitched some jigs at the mouth of a canal/creek with some docks and grass islands in the vicinity, got maybe a couple nibbles but nothing really notable. Public access off a park, ridiculous wake from all the intracoastal traffic. Saw lots of bait and a few jumping fish.

Rig was medium action rod, shimano spinning, 10# green trilene mono. Pics of the tackle and area below, looking forward to hearing about what I did wrong :shobon: but I think the tldr is maybe try live bait and and find a spot that’s quieter.

Most of my shore based saltwater fishing is casting practice.

It's the only kind of fishing the dog likes though, she loves to hunt and snack on fiddler crabs.

Can you do two rods? Have a live bait rig soaking and amuse yourself with the casting.

You can totally eat the saltwater catfish and puffers, don't let anyone tell you you can't.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I'm asking if if it's cool to call big fish you catch, "honkers", and I'm hoping you'll tell me.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

nut posted:

I'm asking if if it's cool to call big fish you catch, "honkers", and I'm hoping you'll tell me.

It’s good

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

nut posted:

I prefer "slab", but it's all good baby.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Good thread

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

nut posted:

Good thread

What’s a good name for small fish?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Time posted:

May I propose a squeaker

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dink

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
lil turd

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Time posted:

Future big fish friend

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

nut posted:

May I propose a squeaker

Good

Good

Please respect fish friends

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Future big fish friend

Good

nut
Jul 30, 2019

drat dinks is good. I haven’t got to fish much lately but we’re going on a trip for bass nearby soon and whenever I’m bored I will catch a couple bluegill at a neighbours pond but they also easy it’s more of a challenge to find what they won’t bite

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Bluegills rule, dont disrespect the most important member of the freshwater fishery ecosystem

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Bluegill is "I wanna catch something" fish. I love and hate them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

A big crappie is a slab. A small crappie is a dink.

A big Mahi is a gaffer. A small Mahi is a peanut.

A big flounder is a doormat. A small flounder is a short.

A big redfish is a bull. A small redfish is an under.

A big bluegill is a dinner plate. A small bluegill is a squeaker.

It's funny how specific terms apply to specific species.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

And it's funny how regional those terms can be, too! I really like that a small Mahi is a peanut :3:

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Big halibut are called barn doors. Little ones are chickens.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dik Hz posted:

Big tuna here are barrels, small ones are schoolies, or jellybeans if they’re really small

Big whiting are called kidney slappers for some reason.

Big snapper are called reds, little ones are called pinkies

Big kingfish are hoodlums or pigs, little ones are rats.

Everything else just gets ‘micro’ put in front of the name if it’s under size I.e. micro flathead

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Time posted:

Please respect fish friends

It's a term of endearment! I just caught 3 in 3 casts (or possibly the same one 3 times) and I was very happy to see them/it.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
I'm gonna learn to fish.
I've fished (saltwater) before with family and can catch and bop Pink/Spring Salmon on the head just fine.
The family has all the equipment though, and set up mine for what fish we would be going for.
I want my own equipment and to know myself what fish use what lures and techniques.
Minutes ago I got my online Freshwater Fishing Licence with Steelhead Trout and Non-Tidal Salmon included (because that's whats in this River on Vancouver Island)
I'm also allowed now to get Crawfish! I am itching to catch a bunch and make a seafood boil or Gumbo or Jambalaya.
Just need to get the gear. With very little research I've decided I need a rod, reel, some line, some weights, a bobber or two, I've already got nailclippers. This thread will be a great help.
I have a Recreational Kayak but would rather start on land or off a bridge.
And now I'm trying to figure out if I want to try fly fishing or regular fishing.
I have a suspicion that I would be pretty good at fly fishing, but don't know much about it except you seem to work shallower water you can mostly stand in, and you flick the lure on a spot on the water to imitate a bug tempting the fish to grab it while it can.

Looks like flyfishing is rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, brown trout (Mar-June) and steelhead (Dec-Mar) here.
caddis, mayfly and stonefly pattern flies appear to work (makes sense, I see lots of them around) and they talk about "streamers" or "marabou streamers" which I'll have to look up.

Edit: Ah I was wrong, you flick the fly lightly where it'll drift towards a fish. The waving around is to get more line out or dry a soaked fly. And there are wet flies and nymphs designed to go underwater. Neat! I'm going to go buy a 9ft rod. I want to learn more about a Japanese Tenkara technique the mountain fishers use.

edit2: I wanted a Tenkara reel-less Flyfishing rod (I saw an extending one for $100) but they didn't have it at this store so I ended up with a 9foot dragonfly rod and reel, some dry flies, a streamer and a couple nymphs. I guess I can do Tenkara style fishing with this rod until I can get one of their 12-13foot rods.

Your mama is so fat, when she sings, its over.

Crane fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 4, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Jumped off the pontoon boat in my boxers to retrieve my whopper plopper, glad it's a nice day out

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

prom candy posted:

Jumped off the pontoon boat in my boxers to retrieve my whopper plopper, glad it's a nice day out

The one time I catch something on a whopper plopper would be as I was swimming to retrieve it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Haha I had caught a fish literally the cast before that and had also just commented to my wife how I liked the whopper plopper because it never snagged

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Well you've got nobody to blame but yourself there buddy. :v:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I have an entire tray of different whopper ploppers and have never caught anything with any of them

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ghostnuke posted:

I have an entire tray of different whopper ploppers and have never caught anything with any of them

Same except inline spinners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Elmnt80 posted:

Well you've got nobody to blame but yourself there buddy. :v:

Even as the words were leaving my mouth I was thinking "why the gently caress would you say something this stupid as you're casting a $20 lure towards a woody area"

Whopper plopper hasn't been my most productive lure but it's my favourite lure to catch fish on for sure. Seems to work best around sunset, but I saw some fish were feeding topwater when we were fishing this morning so I decided to give it a try. One mod I've made on mine is removing the tail hooks because fish seem to hit the hooks in the middle and then the tail ones just end up in the gills. I posted last august about my cursed first fish in my yak that got the tail hook in its gills really bad.