Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

drat I got savaged. That's on me for explaining how I hook set so poorly

Anyway, I tend to keep tension in the line at all times (or as close to it as I can) with my rod held high. When I feel a bite I pull it a few inches back while holding it straight by squeezing my shoulder blade back. I'm not trying to start a snowblower with my hooksets, they just don't seem to penetrate using the quick snap with how high I keep the rod held. Either that or I'm subconsciously dipping the rod before setting still.

I do a lot of deep saltwater mooching it's totally fine in my ocean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone know much about fishing in Hawaii? A friend is currently on Oahu, good fisherman but no idea where to go.

What kind of fishing are they looking for

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Fauxshiz posted:

Anyone got tips for catching smallmouth bass? Theres this creek near my house that I've pulled largies and a lot of panfish out of but there are some bigger smallmouth that will not eat a goddamn thing. Water is pretty clear, mostly rock bottom. I've walked up to them on the bank and dangled baits literally right in front of their face and they are not interested in aaaaanything. Ned rigged worms, crawls, texas worms, little bobby garlands, a rooster tail. They DGAF.

What time are you trying?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Fauxshiz posted:

6am to like 11ish usually, and Ive gone after 5pm once.

Hmm that should be fine. Crawling up and being careful to not let the fish see you and jigging off the bottom in the seam between different water speeds doesnt work? If the waters too warm they'll be picky and only hitting out of instinct so play it that way

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Lost a nice northern today ffffuck. Wasnt even going for one. Wedding rings are the best lure

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone around upstate NY want to share some finger lake tips? I'm messing with crawdads, worms and minnows. Also poppers and plastics. Looking for any action I give zero fucks about trophy fish. Going to have access to a canoe which is kinda funny because these lakes are loving LONG compared to what I'm used to

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Borrowed a kayak instead.. I could catch these lil guys alllll day out of a kayak. Crawdads and the wedding ring are killing it, every other cast kinda thing.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Get a map out and hike a little to find something different? Pull a City Fishing or whatever that show was and go around your town to all the docks you never thought there would be lunkers and see what's lurking?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Had a blast with the rock bass this morning. Bass are so much fun

captkirk posted:

I'm moving to Seattle on October from the Midwest and I'm thinking getting into fishing might be a fun way to get outside. Any resources on Seattle/Washington fishing to help someone who hasn't really been fishing since he was 10?

What are you into? Lake or river or salt? Fly or cast and retrieve or bait? Boat access? Driving limited? There are so many options you can get anything, really. Even green lake got stocked with fuggin tiger muskie lmao.

Also you can always go hit up outdoor emporium and shoot the poo poo with people who work there

Edit: if you havent been out in a long time I really want to show you what catching a big dogfish is like

Lingcodkilla for some reason I thought you moved. It's about sea run cutty time baby!! Best fishing in the NW imo

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 10, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Haha holy poo poo that's different for me, nice

King of Bees posted:

Lol. That's awesome. Do you ever gig for flounder? That's something I want to try

I drift and jig with a herring all the time for bottomfish using a salmon mooching rig. Super easy

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Gooch181 posted:

Now I just need to decide what to try to learn first so I can pick up some flocking and thread in the proper colors. I got a shoe box full of someone else's random stuff to go through and inventory; won it on Ebay.

I'm definitely open to any general advice, or suggestions on baby's first fly!

Nice! Do a woolly bugger

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Have you heard of a cut plug mooching rig? You should check em out if that doesn't work as well as it could, you can get ones that don't slip if that is your preference. Its pretty common for salmon out here. With herring we use as bait you can just put the front hook through the bone in their "nose" and it doesn't rip out

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah your rig reminds me of old timey sardine rigs for salmon. I still have a a few roto killers lying around. Our favorite was a clear plastic cup you placed over the head and then kept in place with half a toothpick. A dental rubber band or thread would keep the trailing hook over the tail.

Lmao thats awesome. People seem pretty split on the trailing hook or not; if you put it in right you get this big looping circles with the bait which really mimics injured baitfish well buttttt yea I dunno. I change it up based on my mood

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

I just googled that, I don’t know how that will go for trolling. The reason I put a chin weight on those was to keep them swimming properly, without that they’ll either spin or lay on their side.

They're great for that, the roll is the entire reason you hook it that way. Slow rolls for kings

LingcodKilla posted:

Take a look at this.

Lighthouse Lures Rigged Anchovy Teaser Head (Glow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8BK4RV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NgSHDbN4PJ3DM

Now those are very interesting

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Edit: I’m on mobile and can’t figure out how to link pics from the imgur app.

I usually copy the imgue url then open them in chrome tab and copy that image address. Also you have to link it as [img] [/img] or [timg] [/timg] instead of url I think?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh hey my old neck of the woods.
...Santa Cruz

Man I always wanted to get up north of santa cruz to around Panthers/Hole in the wall and see whats biting, it felt so wild there. Did you ever have a chance to explore that way?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I've never handled an eel why is catching one worse than catching other things that aren't fun to deal with?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

^^^ice fishing isnt cold because you're in a little shed with a heater. It is definitely not active fishing though

And ohh yea definitely didnt think about the slime from eels, that sounds rough.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I realize every other time I post in this thread there's a bunch of pictures, if this is a problem let me know

100% not a problem I wish there were more pictures, from everyone

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also, I haven't heard anybody call anything a Washington clam here so I'm curious about that. Butter clam? Razor clam? Geoduck? Probably not geoduck, since you'd have to work a lot harder to get them and you didn't mention a giant, spouting clam dong. I don't think it's razor clam either because their shells are so fragile that you'd destroy them digging like that, and I think they only live in sand. I could certainly be mistaken.

I'm guessing pacific razor clam, the most popular and also lol at your geoduck conclusion

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I find that if I hoover a big rail of flux before I hold my face over the pot that I become immune to lead fumes and also the police.

Pretty amazing post too bad it is too long for a thread title

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

charliebravo77 posted:

I just bought two saltwater fly setups and I live like 800 miles from the nearest place I can use them (unless i fish for LMBs or musky or pike with them). Gotta practice if I want to fish for bonefish and redfish, right? That's what I'm telling my wife and bank account anyway.

How many fly casts does it take to catch a muskie? 1..2..

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

charliebravo77 posted:

10,000 last I heard.

Haha :same:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I kinda disagree. You catch way more trout within a couple seconds of your fly hitting the water than you do at the end of a long drift. The biggest difference with moving water is patience. Take your time and analyze a pool or run. 90% of your fish are caught on the first cast. So take your time and make your first cast your best cast. Based on your observations, you should know if the trout are at the tail end or head of a pool or run. You should know where they're feeding in the water column. You should have an angle planned out, and keep low to avoid spooking them. You should observe the currents and eddies and have the appropriate weight on your fly to get it down to where the trout are feeding if you're nymphing. If casting dries, you should have your fly treated so it floats how you want it to. You should be looking for slack water. Take the time and observe before rotely casting every inch of water.

My father gave me the best advice: The best way to fish a promising pool is to smoke a cigar before you fish it. It gives you time to observe and keeps the mosquitoes off you. I don't smoke, but the advice is apt.

I read a story when I was younger about someone army crawling up to rivers to catch big lunkers that normally wouldn't bite, not breaking the water until you read it kind of thing. This summer, 20 some years later, I saw a bass at the end of a dock that wouldn't bite and came back the next day, stopped a good 10+ feet from shore and cast to the end of the dock where I saw it last and nailed it almost instantly. I didn't fish the rest of the day, I felt like such hot poo poo. One cast, one fish, go relax and drink something cold and replay it over and over. Trick the ol wiley fish and let it go until next time. Going to think about that fish for a long time

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I wouldn't say I army crawl, but I definitely approach pools on my hands and knees.

My grandfather didn't flyfish, but he was an absolute master of trout fishing. One time, when I was ~4 years old, he told us he was going fishing in the stream across the field from his house. Limestone spring creek in the middle of a cow pasture. It was eroded as gently caress, but there were still some trout in it. He told me and my bro to come down in 15 minutes. He walked across the field, made one cast with a worm under a bobber. He was far enough away from the lip of the stream that he couldn't actually see the water. First drift, caught a 14" trout, which is huge for that stream. We get down there and he smiles at us and told us that he was saving that one for when we came to visit. He knew exactly where it would be and caught it first cast without ever even seeing the water. What a legend. The trout tasted fantastic. My grandma sauteed it in lemon butter with a watercress salad.

I want to fish little cricks like that so badly but never have, great story

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Good post, I like the technique explanation. drat I'd like to be out on the water in a tshirt and blue sky :(

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Do I go 3 or 4 piece pack pole or should I get that telescoping one that was posting here within the last year that I can't find? Thoughts on something light to hike or travel with?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

just the pack pole set up I was looking for thanks

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yooper posted:

I used to hike with a 4 piece ultralight rod and spinning reel. The telescoping rods always seemed extra lovely, like something a retiree would pack into a 60' RV. Maybe the quality has improved since I last looked. The reel was an ice fishing spinning reel for extra tiny-ness.

That is pretty much what I'm thinking I'll find and agreed I just didn't know if there was some tech there I didn't know about. I just really liked that mondo rod set up

Gooch181 posted:

A little 5wt fly rod that breaks down and fits in a tube case would probably be my go-to for a hiking rod; no worries about getting it snagged up on stuff if you have to break brush. I'm sure you could wrap the reel of a spinning rod up with something to make that just as viable.

Also a good idea

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

It sucks, but nationally we're ahead of the corona curve so hopefully we'll be able to do outdoor activities again before too much longer. Holy gently caress do I want to drive to the coast, pull on my waders, and slay some spawning redtails.

If there's a silver lining, this HAS to be a good thing for the salmon population and will hopefully help address rising ocean temperatures. gently caress the blob, I want bag bonuses for humpies in 2023 goddamnit.

And salmon season never opened again

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

If you catch covid, you're not going to go fishing for at least a month anyway. And if I could give an extra month of not fishing to not having spent the last month fighting covid, I would have done it in a heartbeat. It sucks and you don't want it.

Americans are real shortsighted, selfish and dumb OP

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m buying peddle perception when I get back from my next deployment.

So I’m taking my sit on top kayak out on Tuesday. Will be attempting to go after cabezon and lingcod in the Puget sound. I got some tips on areas to go to. They are in range of my ability to paddle to. Gonna be a fun challenge since I don’t have depth finder to see the bottom.

What were the tips like, what kind of areas are you working off? Whats your setup going to be like? Mooching? It's about that time baby I'm so excited to get out on the water. South of seattle?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I live very close to harpers pier in port orchard. I can paddle to the SW side of Blake island in 30-40 minutes. Currently due to the season I want to target cabezon and lingcod. I know the NW tip going straight East should be good for cabezon and the SW corner should have a diving buoy on structure for divers and lingcods.

Gonna be tossing small bars and hoochies and see what I can scare up. If I skunk hard I’ll go for sand dabs in the sand.

Blake is so close to my regular gently caress around spot, that's hilarious. If you see an old fart in a 12' aluminum, wave. I've always wanted to catch a big ling. I hit southworth for salmon or the SE side of blake. There are some killer sea run cutty spots in the area too. Hoochies are great but I ended up going cheap over the years and getting mooching rigs at big 5 or outdoor emporium.

I have the weirdest draw to explore south of the ferry there on the eastside. There are some small streams that run to the ocean and I'm pretty sure it has a big dropoff but I haven't had much luck

Rythe posted:

I have been fishing out of my Hobie Outback for a decade and would never go back to a normal kayak ever. All I fish is ponds with the occasional lake and river thrown in for fun. Having access to that style kayak is amazing for fishing, buy a good life jacket that's comfortable and go to town on those fish.

My pops just retired and was going to get a cheap kayak and duct tape PVC tubes to it and try and do it himself. I told him he should splurge and get a nice fishing kayak setup, any recs? Old man should have one nice thing in this lovely world, gently caress!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Rythe posted:

If he has the money Hobie is top of the line. Get a Outback for rivers and lakes or a Revolution if he is going ocean fishing. If your dad really has the money a Hobie Pro Angler is amazing.

I honestly think Hobie is worth the price tag, so many of my buddies bought kayaks only to convert to fishing with a Hobie due to ease and convenience. Plus you can typically get one used online fairly easily.

Also my seat pan cracked on my 8 year old Hobie which is super out of warranty a few years ago. I called Hobie and they said get with the local kayak dealer, pay the $80 to ship the broken one back and Hobie exchanged it for a brand new kayak for free. That is amazing customer service and partially why my wife has one and my daughter will have one soon.

Great stuff, I'll push for him to get the pro. How is it moving those things to and from the water? That would be a bigger dealbreaker than the price

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Great start to the day

Well it's certainly a sculpin. Not a cabezon, not a staghorn..... kinda big. I thought possibly a red irish lord but im kinda clueless. 11 inches.

drat I want to be out on that water. That's a Pacific staghorn sculpin I believe but we've always called them bullhead.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Rythe posted:

^^^^^ So would I.

We are a family of 3 and leaning toward the aluminum bottom boats, maybe a fancy John Boat or a nicer one with bench seats that I can install nice swivel seats.

The boat is actually my wife's idea but she is looking at $20k Boston Whalers that we could never pull. Not sure how easy it's going to be selling her on a boat in our weight range with basic to medium creature comforts.

Alumnimun boats are great for the price and the fact you can really beat them up.. in the PNW our beaches can have small rocks on it and I just drag mine over them above high tide. If you get some thick PVC you can roll it super easy solo. Swivel seats are a big step up from seat cushions.

A little whaler is NO DOUBT a sweet boat though it's just a different lifestyle. I honestly dont know if I would "like" a whaler more for the fishing I do. They're really fun to look at though and fantasize about at the boat shows

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Unsinkable, planes super well. Very fishy. If I had the money it would be my first choice for a coastal skiff. On a river? No thanks, still to the aluminum hulls.

Very fishy is a great line

Where my spot is low tide is so far out that bringing something down to the water to get to my buoy is a pain in the rear end and it's not sandy enough to want to leave a whaler on the beach so I'm stuck in this 100ft+ tidal stretch of no mans land. I can drag it solo like I said so it's a reasonable enough solution. I'd rather not drive to a boat launch if I can wake up and hit the beach from my front steps ya know?

Its carrying the 1970s evinrude I found at a garage sale on Mercer island (only used in fresh water a couple times!!!) that really isnt fun

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I should maybe ask in the other thread but does anyone have any words about building a rod from mudhole? Thinking about doing a 6wt 4 piece fly rod or a lil semi light spinner kit

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Can someone link the tackle making thread I just spent half a G at mudhole you know... to save money.. in the long run... :thunk:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

If its a baitcaster, they may also be pulling out their backlash from a lovely cast. As an expert fisherman I never have to do this because all of my casts are perfect. :vee:

Same, but also because I use spinners not casting reels :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

I posted about it in my local FB group and I got a guy to spill all the beans about where/how to catch wiper there. It was really surprising and refreshing because most of the time these guys are like, "did you check in the water? HURRRR"

What was your big epiphany? I'm thousands of miles away so I'm not breaking your water I just like learning