Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Does Spearfishing count? Ive done all kinds of fishing in my life and it is by far the most enjoyable kind. But When I cant go spearfishing I like to go deep sea fishing. When I cant go deep sea fishing I like to go kayak fishing. And when I cant go kayak fishing I will settle for some bass fishing.

Im from South East Florida so I get to do all kinda of awesome fishing. Fishing is the best ever.
Some recent catches:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Absoluetely! Personally I'd love to hear how you catch those spiny lobsters, and what kind of water you spearfish in. What all kinds of fish do you catch? Are you usually successful?

Cool thanks! I do a lot of R&R fishing too, my dad makes me, and sometimes the weather doesn't work for spearfishing. But being in the water is a little bit better then being on the water.

All my spearfishing is done while free diving and in the ocean (its illegal to freshwater spearfish in fl, and also gators). Usually in water thats anywhere from 10 feet deep to 80 feet deep. My "home" reef is basically the coast off of Fort Lauderdale FL (the reefs run from the keys to jax more or less) but I try to go diving in other great sports especially the Florida Keys and Miami. I also sometimes go "bluewater" spearfishing which is done in anywhere from a few hundred to 1000 feet of water targeting pelagic fish like wahoo and dolphin.

Reef spearfishing consists of basically doing drifts or targeting certain spots by floating/swimming a reef and diving. I dive on an interval of about 2 minutes on the surface breathing up and relaxing, and 1:30 - 2:00 minutes on the bottom, stalking a fish, checking holes, or laying on the bottom waiting.

The fish I target are: Hogfish, Grouper, Snapper(s), Lionfish, triggerfish, porgy, cuda, mackerel (for the smoker)

Also on the reefs are lobster, which are spotted in holes while spearfishing (or just lobster hunting). Depending on logistics I will either use a snare or a tickle stick and net. The methods of catching a lobster with each are slightly different. The usual instinct for a lobster when threatened is to bolt into their hole, and at that point you probably aren't getting them. So the secret is to make slow movements and stay out of their eyesight if possible. With a tickle stick and net the trick it to get them out of their hole by "tickling" them from the back with a small pole which makes them think something is behind them. When it leaves the hole you can net it, grab it, measure it, and bag it. Using a snare is kind of backwards of that, you slip in the snare behind them and then scare them back into their hole. And In the process into your snare, when the legs catch you tighten the snare and then grab it.

Bluewater spearfishing is basically diving in water thats too deep to dive to the bottom. Usually searching for pelagic fish such as wahoo and dolphin. The two main methods are driving around looking for floating objects (which almost always have pelagic fish nearby due to the collection of baitfish) and diving on them waiting for fish. Or going to deep wrecks and fish collecting spots and using flashers and chum to attract pelagic fish.

I could be successful 100% of the time. Although sometimes I don't come home with fish, its usually when I have better fish in the freezer and don't need to take anything else. At that point spearfishing becomes mostly a "catch and release" sport where I enjoy diving, point the gun at some fish, but only pull the trigger for a fish that I really want to eat.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 25, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Went fishing today. It was a spectacular day on the ocean. My dad and I's birthday's are soon so we decided to go out. Its a little early (and cold) for dolphin, but the conditions looked great so we went. Hit it nice and early and got out at sunrise. Fished till 11 am and ended up with a nice cooler full of schoolies. In the next 8 hours they will become a delicious dinner.

Heres a few pics.

Im smiling really big under here but Im a ginger so if I took off all the clothes I would die.

Sometimes the current and tides do some really cool stuff. Like rivers and walls of blue/green colorchange(or salinity).

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

whaam posted:

Just seconding everything said here, great advice. I use a Hobie Adventure Island myself and deep sea fish from it all summer long, great boats, a bit pricey though. Ocean Kayak is another major brand for fishing sit-on-tops and their Trident series is rock solid and only about $700 I believe.

The trident is closer to $1000 most places ive seen. But yes a great kayak. Another great options is the "endeavor" ocean kayak exclusively at bass pro. Its a prowler rigged up for fishing for really cheap (700, sometimes on sale for less)

I personally have an older Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro and for my wife the endeavor.

A really good options is buying on craigslist. You can usually find people who never use theirs to sell you the whole newish kayak plus all the accessories that make the price 50% higher for less then the retail of the kayak. Paddles, seats, scupper plugs, rod holders, anchor trolleys, etc.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 9, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Some Other Guy posted:

I really want to get into kayak fishing but it seems like a big issue is how expensive these rack systems can get. If I want to transport my kayak any meaningful distance, is there a way of doing it that doesn't cost an extra $200 or so (2003 Lincoln Continental)? I know there are cheaper mounts but some of the best fishing around does require traveling at least 60 MPH for 30-45 minutes. Couple the rack with the kayak and accessories and I don't know that I'm willing to pay more than $1k and at that point I don't know how much quality I'd be sacrificing. I was looking at a lot of models but one decent kayak on the cheaper end was the Perception Caster 12.5, on sale at the local Dicks for about $500.

Anyway, seems mounting options are under-discussed in a lot of these kayak forums.

One kayak is very easy, you only need two foam blocks and a couple of straps for the front back and sides and you can take it anywhere.

But if you want to hold 2 kayaks it gets a little tricky. You usually need a rack system with special kayak holders. And it doesnt seem possible to get a rack system for under a few hundred bucks. Then add to that the kayak accessories. My yakima with 2 "hullraiser" j style racks for my wifes civic was $500 online.

But still, both are one time purchases, you will get years and years of free enjoyment and access to amazing fishing out of those few pieces of kinda pricey equipment.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 9, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

causticBeet posted:

An addition to that - really try to get senkos or yum dingers for brand- while any worm will work, those two really have the best action when they fall.

You can also try Texas rigging if the water is super weedy and you find yourself getting caught up in it.

Texas rigs just take practice. Ive been bass fishing my whole life and have always used the texas rig for artifical worms. Its all about learning and remembering where to pierce the bait. Im always fishing shorelines or in the everglades where weeds and structure is a problem. I also use a small bullet sinker on the line. Ive used every worm imaginable over the years and my favorite is the purple 6" worms with orange firetails. Seconded by brown/green.

As others have said, soft and jelly = good.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 18, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Scrapez posted:

Also on Texas rigs, if you catch a couple fish or if your worm just gets worn, bite off the top section that's ripped making the worm shorter and re thread it on the hook. You can use a 7" worm until it is like 4" long.

Some of my biggest bass have been caught on a Texas rig with a 4" worm with half a tail.

My favorite type of bass fishing is top water. I've had best luck at dusk when the water surface is dead calm. Run a buzz bait, hula popper or zara spook along the shoreline. Just remember to pause before you set the hook when you see something smash your lure.

I agree, topwater is just lots of fun. But I prefer the POP-R by rebel to all other topwater lures. Only downside is in the everglades gators sometimes go after topwaters. Suprise!

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Hot drat an SA Fishing Thread!
Like many of you I had dreams of going pro as a child, only to have girls and cars divert my interest. Three weeks ago I went bass fishing in a tiny neighborhood retention pond with a coworker and got the bug again. Didn't catch anything, but getting some casts in and watching a gator cruise made me realize I had to start fishing again. Went to the store and got fresh and saltwater licenses since both are nearby. My gf and I recently bought stand up paddle boards to explore the tampa bay waters with and I realized I could use that as a fishing vessel to hunt reds on the flats.

Went saltwater fishing with the same coworker who has a 15' fishing kayak, I took my 12' paddle board (big rear end surfboard) and laid the rod on the board while paddling and had gear and water in a fanny pack.
Paddled from the Dunedin causeway (to Honeymoon island) over to Caladesi island but the wind and tide were brutal so I ended up having to wade after ditching the board on a tiny island off the tip of Caledsi. Next time I'll have an anchor so I can stop where I want. Saw tons of HUGE mullet and pinfish on the calm inland side of caladesi after seeing none on the long cruise over. Also saw a BIG bull shark cruise 10 yards in front of me, between me and Ended up pulling a spotted seatrout out of that little pool and a couple more later in the day. Also had a 5 inch sailor's choice bite my 4 inch mirror lure catch 22 and get hooked on the rear treble hook. 2 trout took whole shrimp while the other took a blue Mirrordine. My cowoker caught 6 trout, half on shrimp half on mirrodine. Saw plenty of dolphins, including a female with her calf. Tons of wildlife in these shallow waters.
EDIT: forgot to say everything was released alive that day :) Will be shooting to kill next time though ;)

Today I got a couple more mirrolures and a 5 lb folding anchor. I plan to use bungees and straps to attach a milk crate to the front of my board that will hold the anchor, 2 rods, gear, beer, etc. Google "paddle board fishing" to see pictures of what I'm talking about.

My one worry about this particular area is there are bull sharks, thousands of stingrays, and even hammerheads in channel, and some boaters actually accelerate past kayakers and other paddlers to be dicks. I would NOT swim through the channel that I paddle over by choice.

Now a couple fishing line questions! I am setting up a surf rod for real bait and a lighter lure action rod for my rig. I need new line since my line is currently several years old. The surf rod has I believe 15 lb mono on it and the lure rod has like 8-12 lb mono.

Should I be using braided? Not much chance of getting hooked up since it's all sand or grass bottom. Conditions range from completely murky to pretty drat clear. IIRC my buddy was using green braided line.

IMHO stick with mono for saltwater fishing esp from a paddelboard, yak or the beach. Too many big fish and too much line grabbing. Plus less stretch in the line makes it much more unforgiving. Its more personal preference then anything. Im not not a braid fan on anything but light freshwater tackle.

Competed in a charity dolphin tournament yesterday with about 15 boats. We ended up catching 20 mahi and winning the aggregate weight category. Paid for our trip and entry and put a few bucks in our pocket. Not to mention a whole lot of delicious food on the table.

We had a pretty amazing day of fishing. Most boats went east or southeast. But we decided to run an hour south based on the winds and tides and it paid off big time. We ran into miles of absolutely giant weed patches that ended up holding a good number of dolphin.

Rather then trolling which is how most dolphin are caught we spent all day going from weedpatch to weedpatch throwing out live bait and a few chunks of chum. When we got into some dolphin I jumped in and scouted the movement of the school down the weedlines.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Spooled up some green mono on the surf rod. I think it was Berkeley, about $9 for 650 yards 20 lb test.

This stuff had almost as much memory going off the plastic spool than my several year old mono had coming off the reel. Is this normal? I may have put on a tad bit too much but I feel I can cast further with more line.

Edit: forgot the fun part.

Went on the SUPs with the GF today, no rods just cruising. Every time I've been to the channel lately the tide is lower and lower. The lack of water meant 100s of acres of sand bottom were now dry. I saw the biggest redfish I've ever seen at the edges of these "islands." I was pleasantly surprised to see that I got within 10 ft of them without being seen. One actually had to dart directly under my board. The wind was brutal and created a chop which helped keep me concealed. All the same when I go back tomorrow I will have to anchor way before I see the fish in order to cast my lure without spooking them.

Gotta stop by ACE to make some PVC rod holders for the milk crate. I had success bungeeing a soft cooler to the front today so I recon this whole thing might work out. :)

Did you spool it vertically? Or laying down on the table? Spinning rods should be spooled horizonally with the line laying on the table face up. Conventional reels should be spooled vertically with a pencil as an axle.

Also Easily mountable rod holders are almost cheap enough that DIY is a waste of time. Can sometimes find them for 10-15 bucks locally. And there is also amazon prime. Prime is the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Tube-Rod-Rack-Black/dp/B004561OGO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337603183&sr=8-8

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 21, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Had an awesome time fishing the gulf side of Caldesi island. Got up early and enjoyed a calm paddle a few hundred yards out. My anchor worked awesome on the SUP. I basically had a floating dock I could park anywhere fish from. I saw what i thought were dolphins, but turned out to be HUGE tarpon! They were casually feeding just feet away. They didnt hit dead pin fish, gulp crab and shrimp or a mirrodine. Probably for the better since i woulda went for a ride. We followed them for a while but then gave up. I was shocked at the size of those things!

We also saw a bunch of snook in the flats. The water temp has gone up since last week and they didn't hit poo poo either.

What are some good snook and tarpon tactics?

Live bait, esp live shrimp is best for snook and tarpoons on the east coast.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just to follow up on my post about going fishing with my wife's uncle for Stripers a few weeks ago. We got skunked, sadly. He lost one at the boat and that was the only bite all day. Still a nice day and fishing the delta was very different than my usual stomping grounds so I enjoyed it. Wish I could've landed a Striper though. I think I also may have solved my "Black Bass" question I had. I didn't realize it, but they apparently have Spotted Bass in addition to Largemouth and from the photos he showed me they're very hard to distinguish. I think the "Black Bass" label just gets used to lump them together.

As I type this I am sitting in an office overlooking Tampa Bay. Every time I look down I see a fish jump and get pissed that I can't live and fish here.

Then I step outside and melt in the humidity and want to go home to nice gloomy Seattle.

Thats why in Florida the only thing better then being on the water is being IN the water. Plus you just learn to embrace the sweltering sweat. Its worth it for the fishing :feelsgood:

Heres a few clips of me diving under some huge sargrassum weed lines in 400-500' scounting for mahi mahi during the tourney I was in a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzzSRrJES4

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 30, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Some Other Guy posted:

I have a question for you kayak fishers: do any of you have experience loading a kayak onto a car without racks? It doesn't seem like there are too many rack options for my car (2002 Lincoln Continental) -- I've found none, though, who knows what some shop somewhere could rig up. Any of you ever use a foam blocks/straps set up like this: http://maloneautoracks.com/deluxe-kayak-kit.php ?

If everything is done properly, how far can you travel and how fast can you go with this set up? I've heard a lot of people say a lot of different things. I'm also worried that there might not be a sturdy enough place that I can access on the frame my car for bow/stern tie downs. There are a few places down there by the bumper and fender, but it's hard to tell if they'll work until I'm trying the specific tie downs.

The car also has a sun roof. Man I'll be pissed if a kayak can't be loaded onto this car as safely as a Kia or something.

Thats kind of a bummer. I wouldnt think some cars just had no roofrack options. I only have anecdotal evidence, but I have a friend whos gone all over everywhere with his yak on his tercel at highway speeds all the time with foam blocks and no issues. He uses straps through the windows and front and rear tiedowns. It actually seems more secure then my roof rack because it isnt suspended up in the air like mine is.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Some pics I meant to post last week but Imgur was down.
[timg] http://i.imgur.com/tOCf6s.jpg[/timg]

The last few are from today. Left the rod and gear at the car because the wind was 15mph onshore and I probably woulda sank with the gear. Saw a bunch of redfish and trout in the windy exposed grass flats. Oddly when I got to the calm mangroves I didn't see any predatory fish until I it into the tight mangrove trail, when I ran up on a redfish so close he looked me in the eye. Shoulda wacked him with the paddle!

These pics look possibly awesome except that they are only 90x90 pixels :( Your stories make me really wanna visit the west coast soon with my yak.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Some Other Guy posted:

Well, two of the first places I checked were Yakima and Thule's websites and they didn't have anything. The store said they couldn't find any options in their catalogs either. Since my last post, I actually went and bought a kayak and settled on the foam blocks/straps set up with bow and stern tie downs as well. The kayak is 13.5 feet and 60 lbs and it doesn't move a bit, though, I would be cautious about going on the interstate. The good thing about this system is it's only about $50.

My car is somewhat unique in that it's the last Lincoln Continental they ever made and it didn't sale that well. I think rack manufacturers probably decided just not to bother. I noticed other cars, such as Trans Ams, didn't have any options either. You could probably get something done custom but then you're talking money.

Bought the Trident 13 Angler, by the way. It's an awesome kayak! First trip out just to tool around I caught some bass, so that blessed the boat. Then I got completely skunked yesterday on my first all day trip.

Thats a nice yak! If you plan to do any anchoring look into getting a trolley they are amazing. Foam blocks are a better choice really, just as easy as a rack systems, as they needs to be taken off and put on or it can easily be stolen. Plus they are terribly loud when empty. The main reason I see for a rack is two yaks.

I had a pretty good sunday. Went spearfishing near Key Largo with the family. Took a pretty nice red grouper that I had to spend a while wrangling out of a hole. A friend took another red, and I got a nice hog fish.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Nice! I've been wanting to try spear fishing but to be honest the sharks worry me. Swimming around carrying bloody fish just seems like asking for it.

----------------------

No gear heads in the fishing thread!¿

Still looking for quality spinning reel recommendations for ~$50.

Sharks aren't much of an issue imho. you've gotta be a little more careful where you are with a good number of bulls. But fish are taken out of the water pretty quickly in sharky areas, in water stringers can definitely be an issue. But even then, you've got to understand the mentality of a shark. It wants your fish way more then it wants you. Its hoping mostly for a free lunch, and will quickly give up if given trouble. Its not going to go in with a surprise attack from nowhere and take a bite out of a 7 foot long black diver. If anything it will come in slowly to investigate and see what it can make happen, and 99.9% of the time you can scare them off like any fish with a little bit of aggression. For that one in a million shark that doesn't want to give up and really wants to give you a bad day I carry shark protection in the form of speargun mountable powerheads.

Don't let sharks scare you away from free diving and spearfishing, its probably the most enjoyable hobby I've ever had and I can't recommend it enough. Now the thing to be literally scared for your life of is weekend boaters. They are the real man killers on the water.

Im a big fan of Penn Battles, whatever size you need for the job. Great reels with smooth drags, a great ratio, and pretty bulletproof.

Ive got a pair for me and my wife of battle 8000's on some custom conneley 7' spinning rods. Ive caught some pretty large dolphin and black fin tuna as well as lots of small snapper triggers etc etc on them and they are always ready for the job.

A little over your budget but I've found them on pretty good sales.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 6, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Dammit someone recommend me a $100 spinning reel!

Checked out the Penn Battle and SSG and even the Slammer (on clearance for $110) and TBH none felt nearly as smooth as even the $50 shimanos. They honestly felt kinda cheap, is this because they outsourced to China? The battle was the nicest but I could still feel the gears when I turned the handle.

tesilential posted:

Thanks for the tip! I actually saw those at Dicks on Friday and made a note because they seemed solid. They were $60 and I would actually go for the 4000 or smaller since I want to freeline shrimp and toss little mirrordines and the like. The reel seemed very solid and had only 3 bearings so to me it seemed designed to be more rugged than smooth.

I'm actually taking a really close look at the Shimano Stradic FJ, either 3000 or 4000 size. Retail is $135-150, but they are supposedly really nice, better than the older model Sustains and borrowing a lot of tech from the Stella.

The 4000 seems to be one of the most popular inshore reels around, but again I really want great cast distance with lighter lures.

Would you all recommend 3000 or 4000 when the primary use is light suspending twitch baits, 1/8 oz jigs with shad, and light gold spoons?

I think battles are great. Way better then cheap shimano's for sure. And penn's quality has gone up over the last few years not down for the most part. Also keep in mind drag smoothness is equally as important if not more more important then cranking smoothness.

Penn Battles are nice rugged reels both small and large (3000, 6000, 8000) smooth with nice drags. But they are only $80-100, so you should expect a certain level of quality. Shimano Stradics are exceptional reels but they drat well should be at about double the price of a Penn battle. Same with stella's, they are like fine mechanical watches, but 5x the price of a battle.

Personally, I feel the larger battles and the like are plenty smooth with really nice drags. But at the smaller reel sizes (4000,3000) the extra precision and quality of a shimano stradic will make you happier. Baitcasters are also a really good option for the type of fishing you are doing (flipping stuff to snook etc) but they have a learning curve for sure, and might be more of a pain on a SUP.

Casting distance with spinners is more about the rod length/action and the line size/type then anything else since all spinner reels are just open bails while in casting mode.Being a bit bigger a 4000 will be a little more versatile then a 3000. But If you want the best casting distance a nice well adjusted bait caster is hard to beat with any spinner, just because of how the line comes off the reel.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 18, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Please tell this to my girlfriend next time I drag her along with me to Bass Pro.

My wife loves picking out tackle. The problem is that her primary criteria for picking is "is it pink, or orange? and is it cute?" The rest, is just the details.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

I'm gonna fish for tarpon this weekend. I am setting up a fish finder rig on one rod and and freeline a bait/lure on another. They are rolling right off the beach and I can probably get within 10-20 yards of them. Will regular swivel-snaps hold up or do I need the mondo size 2 and 3's? They seem huge and conspicuous.

Even the smallest snap swivels can hold 70lbs or so. So unless you are using a really heavy mainline you dont have much to worry about. The line and knot will break before the swivel.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

These knives are just amazing for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47513-6-Inch-Boning-Fibrox/dp/B000QCNJ3C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1340806116&sr=8-8&keywords=fibrox

Also, for small fish, get a filet glove that protects your hands. If you dont you WILL cut yourself badly eventually.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Rythe posted:

That is a nice looking knife with good reviews, might have to pick that up and give it a try. I looked around for a good kevlar glove that fit snug and wasn't loose and I had trouble finding one. Anybody have a recomendation on a glove? I fish a lot and clean a bit of fish every week and haven't cut my self in years but I don't want to test my luck with how sharp my knives are.

I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...hield+cut+glove

Its available in XS. And while its not exactly snug. It does the job and actually makes gripping the fish easier. I dont always use it. But when I am filleting small fish or a fish with tough skin or other parts that require force I put it on.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 28, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking at trying my hand at kayak fishing. Any particular yaks you can recommend for someone about 6'4 and 280lbs?

Bass pro makes a re-branded ocean kayak prowler called the endeavor. Rigged for fishing for 100$ less then its brand name counterpart (599-699). Only negative is its beige and not something high-viz.

Went offshore fishing sunday morning. Got skunked, went in to the reef to do some spearfishing and i was determined to bring some dinner home. Got a number of nice fish. Two nice mangrove snappers, a fat school master snapper, a grey trigger, and a porgy.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Stradics are the poo poo. I just love them.

Went spearfishing last weekend and caught a personal best Hog Snapper. Winter is awesome.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 21, 2013

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey a fishing thread!

Can any of you guys recommend me a good forum where they specifcially discuss good fishing spots for your area? In my case, off shore saltwater fishing in South Florida.

Any suggestions?

I do a lot of offshore fishing in south fl. Dont have a forum I read but I can probably help you out. I do a lot of fishing out of port everglades, haulover inlet, and black point. Mostly spearfishing but some hook and line as well. Catch lots of mahi and sometimes hoo's off shore. Not big into sails or swords or deep dropping. But I know a decent amount about it. Keep in mind with offshore fishing there isnt so much "areas" as there are tactics of following the patterns of currents and fish migration. Ive caught fish at every depth imaginable.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 18, 2014

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

If catching a fish is too traumatic for the fish then outlaw fishing. I don't see how putting a fish through the same amount of stress but then killing it is better than giving it a chance to live...

I'm a 90% C&R fisherman, but I'd much rather have a hook stuck through my lip and be pulled around for 30 seconds than I would have a hook stuck through my lip and be pulled around for 30 seconds and THEN be killed.

In the same way that its mostly illegal to torture animals, but its not illegal to kill them humanely and eat them. Fishing for meat has a purpose of collecting food to eat. C&R is basically just for the fun of it. I dont agree with the law but I can see the angle they are coming from.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

MaakHatt posted:

We're fine paying for a charter, just want to maximize our chances. Thinking of going with this guy, a full day ocean trip for $135 (probably with people outside of our group, but some of us are in grad school and don't have tons of cash): http://roguewavefishing.com/index.php

Elmnt80 posted:

He may just set you over a rock pile/reef and say have fun, but thats usually pretty good fishing too if he knows his spots.

EDIT:
Q: What do you fish for?
A: Snapper and grouper are the primary target how ever you can expect encounters with dolphin, king fish, cobia, sail fish, amber jack, banded rudder fish, sharks and so many more!

Yeah, it sounds like for the daily going out thing, he's going to have you fishing rock piles and such for grouper/snapper which is also pretty fun. You can try talking him into going for something else, but he may ask for more.

Offshore trolling is way more expensive then bottom fishing for sure, like, probably 5x or more because gas isnt cheap. Right now the wahoo are around but not many dolphin. Its a great time to catch grouper and they are an epic fight but they are out of season until may 1st to keep. If you catch snapper you're in for some super delicious eating and it shouldn't be hard to find some nice legal size snapper in that area. The wrecks and reefs hes going to fish also have the potential to bring in lots of other fish. Mackerals, Kingfish, jacks, sharks, etc.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Kid Golbez posted:

Here is our pile o' fish from the gulf a few days ago. Pictured are amberjack, scamp, beeliners, a red grouper, some white snapper, and an almaco or two. Jacks ate live cigs, smaller fish ate squid or bonito pieces.

Nice! Hopefully that was a charter, if not how long did it take to clean all those fish? lol. The best part about really good long days of fishing is getting home way too late, completely exhausted, and then cleaning the boat, all your gear, and a huge pile of fish. Usually on a Sunday.

The last month or so of fishing & spearfishing the Atlantic and the Everglades has been way too good to me including a couple of personal bests, lots of dinner, and too much fun. Heres some photos that point out that I ridiculously always wear the exact same thing fishing.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Got a new casting setup for my birthday today. Pumped to rip some lips with this thing. Almost bought an all Abu setup but I liked the shimano stuff more.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

That's sexy. My main stick is a MH crucial with a stradic fj 3000. It's nice and I bet that rod is gonna cast amazing and be super sensitive yet powerful and exciting with a fish on the other end.

The tailing redfish are finally here :). I am lucky as hell to live 5 minutes away from a flat that will have tailing reds from now until September. I also opted for a fly setup over a tarpon rig so now I have a TFO BVK and RIO redfish line on the way and I already received a Lamson Velocity 3x I ordered for barely over the price of a decent cast reel since it's being discontinued. Initially I wanted to just go cheap on the reel but for only $175 I got a fully machined reel with sweet sealed drag that weighs only 5.1 ozs! I'm super stoked about the rig and hope to be posting pics of redfish caught on the fly in the next couple of weeks.

IM FROM THE FUTURE Nice loving fish! I'm jealous man. Can you recommend a decent waterproof camera for less than $300? I'd like something to take better fishing pictures while I'm wading or SUP fishing. It would also be cool while snorkeling in the keys.

Thanks. Florida Reprezent! Obviously Florida is just the jam on both coasts... Awesome fish! Jealous of those reds and that fly rod, planning on doing more red / trout / drum fishing in flamingo soon. Currently rebuilding my dads old inshore boat and will be taking that down there quite a bit once finished. Ive wanted to get into saltwater flyfishing for forever but neve have enough quality regular tackle to justify. Fly fishing is fun and its even more fun away from obstructions. Fishing the flats with a fly on a SUP sounds like a fun rear end time.

We sure are lucky bastards. I feel sorry for the people who live here and dont take advantage of the best part,

Best camera hands down is the olympus tg-2. waterproof to 50ft, battery that lasts forever, and takes great pictures.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 13, 2014

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Ended up returning the shimano crucial for a G.Loomis after much debate. The action is pretty similar but the GLoomis has a cork handle and looks like sex. Its a 7 foot stick with a short but making it 6'8".

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 13, 2014

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Hell yeah, Florida is awesome and it's sad when coworkers complain about just going home tired and hoping to do something fun on the weekend.....I've been doing 10 hour days at the office and still getting 2 hours of fishing in afterwards when I feel like it.

drat that was quick! G.Loomis has some nice rods but how does the warranty compare? My crucial has a no questions asked over the counter warranty, which I can say from experience is truly OTC. I've walked in with a broken rod and my receipt and walked out with a brand new crucial twice now (first one was the old model with IM9).

I actually need to buy a backup flats rod for my GF to use since my friend drunkenly broke my Ohero rod last weekend. I like the St. Croix mojo in shores in medium light a lot but the warranty isn't great. I may get a Shimano Clarus or something just so I can get a lifetime OTC warranty. It's seriously nice to have.

The warranty is the same on both, but after pool casting with the GL2 im not sure I like the action as much. I might go back to the crucial despite not liking everything about it. The action and sensitive tip was too nice.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 14, 2014

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Just googled it and Gloomis has a lifetime warranty but it only covers manufacturers defects. Usually those make themselves known in the first few uses or after a few fish. The crucial (at least the inshore versions) has a no questions asked warranty. I have literally walked into the store I bought it from and said hey my rod broke I need a new one and then walked around and grabbed a brand new one off the shelf and walked out.

I don't want to make this thread our personal back and forth so I'll leave now and go back to watching fly cast videos long after I should have been asleep.

Yep further research also says shimano is in store and loomis is mail in. Im re-sold. Basspro is gonna hate me.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Im not even kidding, I broke the shimano crucial first time fishing with it on wed. The super fast and sensitive tip basically shattered on a hookset on a fish. I also HATED the grip with the built in reel clamp as it unscrewed when I was fighting fish.

I want to like the crucial especially for the warranty, but it sounds like their tips are *too* sensitive.. They didn't have another of my rod in stock and for the first 60 days it falls under BPS warranty not shimano, so I have some time to figure it out.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

:lol:

If you like something else I'm sure BPS will let you swap. Like I said I've broken 2 crucials about 8-12" from the tip within a month of using them. My current replacement has been good for over a year and caught hundreds of solid fish. Being extremely thin in tip yet with a strong butt I'm sure it will someday break and I'll have to exchange it. Got another decent (23") snook last night on the flats and lost another.

It was the first time I put a good load on the rod so I am thinking it was maybe a manufacturing thing. BPS said they will exchange it for whatever I want but now I cant figure out if I want to go with the delicate tip the annoying grip and the good warranty, or something less delicate with a grip I like and a not so great warranty. Getting a new rod is nice, esp when its a newer model than the one it replaces. But breaking a rod early in a fishing day is absolutely infuriating. My buddy and I only brought one rod each so I sat and watched him catch fish for a while.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 16, 2014

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Went to bass pro and spent a LONNG time examining every rod between 150 and 250. The Gloom was the best all around package by far. The guides arent that great, its not that light, but it was the nicest rod of all the ones I used. The shimano crucial was a close second, but the handle sucks as much as the tip is great. The warranty almost made me buy it, but I couldnt get away from the GL2 and its amazing handle.

Took the new rig out this morning with my pops for another test run and didnt break it despite fighting the biggest bass ive caught in a while. Thought it was a gator at first because it fought so hard.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Braid is the best for freshwater. Down with mono. There I said it.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

I hope spearfishing counts for fishing. This weekend I went spearfishing in some incredible conditions. Ended up with nice dinner for tonight as well as some bait for a shark tagging research program my buddy is apart of. I also went offshore mahi fishing but got skunked minus a nice triple tail I harpooned from the boat on a weedline.

Amazing conditions.

Had to make sure I didnt drift over to the bahamas.

one of the 5-6 large cudas shot that day.

Biggest cuda was a beast. Kept his jaw to make a mount. at almost 6 feet he didnt fit in any coolers we had whole.

Dinner.

Waste not want not.

The triple tail I harpooned while looking for mahi.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Kid Golbez posted:

These were within 5 miles of the beach... yup clearly red snapper are an endangered species.

Better continue to have a 365 day commercial season and a one week rec season. Yep that should fix it!

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

imho something like surf fishing is fine with cheap rods. They dont need to be sensetive and light and allow for accurate casts like a typical bass fishing etc setup. Id say a rule of "get a big rear end cheap rod and ad a big decent spinner" is a good rule of thumb. Even old stuff is probably fine for surf fishing.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Cig is very unlikely here but I still dont eat Cudas that are longer than a few ft. The smaller ones are quite delicious. But I think the cuda smell scares people away. I know lots of Cubans who eat giant cudas all the time and have only heard of a few getting cig. That said, the description of its symptoms makes me never want to take that chance.

Went out on Sunday against advice of the weather man and got a nice Black Grouper. Conditions and weather ended up being perfect despite everyone predicting wind and rain all day sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Bangkero posted:

haha yeah I'm going by what my friends were saying. By next year I'm sure the weight will double every time we tell the story. As long as we didn't get skunked I'm happy!

This is Rule #1 of fishing. Always use the magic scale and ruler. And each time the story is told the fish has to get bigger. Actually weighing fish just results in crestfallen sadness over how much smaller the fish is than you guessed. That bass is probably about 3lbs. For reference here is a 6lb Largemouth bass I posted earlier in the thread.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 4, 2014