Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Cool, a fishing thread. As a kid I spent every summer from the ages of 3 - 14 fishing with my grandfather in his little bass boat. I have so many fond memories of reeling in bucketloads of panfish and having many saga-worthy battles against northerns and walleyes with the tiny shimano r100 reel that grandpa had given me. As I got older I lost interest, and I probably hadn't been fishing since the early 90's.

Grandpa passed away a few years ago and I had been thinking of those summers a lot, so this April when a friend asked me to go with him to the annual trout derby the next town over I decided to give it a go. I dropped around $100 on gear and spent 11 hours sitting in 20 degree weather in order to catch a single rainbow trout. Things escalated quickly and even though I couldn't afford it I bought Grandpa's boat early in the summer:

It had been sitting in a barn for the last 4 years so it was a little rough. It took several weeks to get the boat ready and sort out the paperwork, so I spent the meantime fishing local lakes and rivers, catching tiny largemouths and inch-long perch while daydreaming about getting into big schools of obese crappie in grandpa's boat.

Finally, it was time. The bilge pump, livewell aerator, and running lights were still OOC but she floated and the engine ran.

I wasn't able to take her out as much as I wanted because she's being kept at a friend's house and I don't have a trailer hitch on my car yet. We took her out a couple of times, but only got 2 or 3 hours on the water each time. Last night was our third trip. We got out late, with the idea of doing some nighttime trawling for walleye. We did not catch walleye, but we did run over a sandbar and wrecked my prop.

I live in a state known for excellent freshwater fishing. Since the beginning of trout season I have caught one largemouth, 2 pumpkinseed, and one rainbow trout that were big enough to take home.

TL;DR: I loving suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Shimano makes a cheap reel with a nice little gimmick called a trigger bale or some such thing. They come in three sizes and are usually around $20. It’s my go-to cheap real when I’m traveling. I’ve had my first one since the early 90s.

I have a shimano R100 with the trigger from the late 80's. It is hands-down the second best / nicest of my cheap reels, just behind my Pfleuger Trion.

The biggest issue I have with it is that the anti-reverse only locks in one spot, that being when the trigger is centered at the top in the position you need it to be in for casting. If you're not very careful about your slack and trigger position it is unbelievably easy to unspool enough line to foul the reel.

E: for the guy asking about cheap reels, the previously-mentioned Pfleuger Trion runs about $35 - 40 and for the price it is a nice reel imo. I also have an Abu Garcia Silver Max that cost about $25, it is also pretty good. Either is a significant step up from the single-bearing reels that come in cheap combos.

titties fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

Yesterday was a beautiful day to get out on the river

Skunked again, though. Fifth or sixth time on this river this season and I have yet to catch anything.

We're hoping to get my boat up into the deeper water upriver when the salmon run starts. I've never been salmon fishing before, I think we'll get a shot at both king and kokanee. I need a new rod and reel for it. Any thoughts on a Pfleuger President in like a 3 or 4000 size?

titties
May 10, 2012

I needed some new gear for the salmon run, and after looking at 8" rods for a hell of a long time I grabbed a shimano tdk. I didn't realize that it's supposed to be a trolling rod. There's no real reason I can't fish from the banks or wade with it, is there?

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Might be a bit stiff. As long as you have proper reel for it and you can cast it.

I paired it with a 400 size Pfleuger President. For $45 bucks it is a hell of a nice reel and I think I'm getting a 300 size for my other rod because I like it so much.

I tried it out and it is a little stiff and the long handle makes it cumbersome but it's usable. The big issue is that the first guide is really small for some reason, and the offset from the reel means that the line touches the inner rim of the guide at all times. I'm thinking of just cutting the guide off because I'm pretty sure it is interfering with my casting.

gay picnic defence posted:

As an aside, what is the use of a 8' trolling rod?

I think it's for inland lakes downrigger fishing for northerns and poo poo.

prom candy posted:

Back at the same lake I was slamming fish on at the beginning of August and the bite has reaaaallly slowed down. It's not even that much colder outside, the water's gone from high 70s to low 70s. Any thoughts on where to find smallies in late summer? The stuff I was doing last month (wacky rig senkos and mepps spinners) just doesn't seem to be working.

I don't know poo poo about fish habits, but according to the local fishing report the cooler weather and shorter days should start bringing predator fish back into the shallows and end the late summer funk. Maybe just give it another week or two and see if it picks up?

titties fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 5, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

prom candy posted:

This is our last week up here until we open it back up in May, so it might be time to just start exploring some of the waters closer to home.

I went to put new line on my reel for the first time today and I noticed the ratings listed on it only showed 2, 4, and 6 lbs test. I put 6 on it but is that weird that it would only have ratings for such low test? It's a shimano syncopate 1000fg, the guy at the shop basically picked it for me since I didn't know what I was doing (and still don't!)

So far I've only been after Ontario smallmouth where anything over 5 pounds would be a huge triumph but I'd like to get after some pike or whatever else I can find this fall, do I need a different reel/line? Is this how people end up with so many rods and reels?

A 10 /100 / 1000 size reel is generally an ultralight reel and it is supposed to work best with lines of those diameters. That reel is fine for all types of panfish and will handle smaller trout species. I've caught plenty of bass on a small Shimano reel, but hooking into a really big bass could be a bit of a challenge.

You could replace the mono or fluoro line with a superline like spider wire or power pro, i think you can get a 15 lb test line that's the same diameter as 6 lb test mono. It'll help with bigger fish but if the drag is cranked down hard on your reel you could damage the reel. Also if the spool on the reel isn't braid ready you'll want to put on some mono backing, otherwise the braid could just slip on the spool when you start reeling.

I've landed several decent-sized pike with that sort of reel but it is a long and risky fight, you can't just haul them in.

A 25 or 30 size reel might be better if you plan to do some pike fishing. Also consider some steel leaders, pike and walleye have teeth that can sever plastic lines and stealth braid.

titties
May 10, 2012

Been planning all week for my first salmon fishing trip tomorrow except oh wait full production run at work, surprise!

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I take it you no longer work at a gas station?

Yeah, now i make boats at a factory

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress yeah!

It sucks because i work with the hulls after they come out of the mold, cutting and grinding fiberglass all day and it is itchy and it gets all over the inside of my car.

It's also funny that i build boats but i still don't know how to fix my own boat because all i do is cut holes in fiberglass hulls

If any of you have a 2018 or 2019 model year wellcraft, glasstron, four winns, or scarab boat then there's a decent change that i drew a dick on the inner hull of your boat with a grinder

titties fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 15, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

Salmon fishing in the morning, floating skein and hoping for the best. Wish me dry waders, friends!

(They are leaking and I'm trying to patch them with gorilla glue and electrical tape)

titties
May 10, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

My spirit is broken. I can not catch a fish.

titties
May 10, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Have you heard about fishing... on ice?

I have a little pop-up shanty and I am going to put it face-to-face with my friend's pop-up shanty and get too drunk to check tip ups and hopefully die finally. Or catch some big rear end crappie, w/e

E: prior to April of this year I did not have a single bit of fishing gear. I now have a boat, 7 fishing rods, 2 tackle boxes, and a pop-up shanty. My wife is pissed. Please help me

titties fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 10, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

prom candy posted:

Can you have her call my wife and put my spending since September of last year in perspective? I only have 2 rods, 2 tackle boxes, a net, and a bunch of lures.

Yes I can, friend, please pm me your wife's cell phone number

E:

prom candy posted:

edit: holy crap they still make fishing games too, that'll help

Fishing planet is free to play on PSN, I will play it with you

titties fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 10, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

I've done plenty of Summer fishing and ice fishing but I've never really fished in the fall before. Air temps are between 30 and 50 degrees freedom and it's been raining or snowing quite a bit.

Anything i should know about targeting bass and panfish from the shore?

titties
May 10, 2012

hagie posted:

So my son can’t stop talking about fishing again since we caught that dunk a few weeks ago (which is awesome). I am thinking of upgrading him from ultra-lovely “kids first fishing” to an appropriate upgrade for a 5 year old.

I have an old Diawa casting rod that the reel bearings for the baitcaster went out on it ages ago, and was considering a Zebco 33T micro to put on it. I learned on a Zebco some 30 years ago (and quickly graduated elsewhere). I could get one of those Crappie combo set ups, but I always read how the reel is the worst part of the combo.

He really wants to be independent and cast himself and I think that will be easier than a true spinning reel and definitely easier than a true baitcaster. I don’t think his dexterity is all there to hold the line with a finger, open the bale and toss it just right.

Any suggestions otherwise?

He might surprise you, I learned to cast a spinning reel when I was 3.

You could get him one of those shimano reels with a trigger, I have had mine for over 30 years, it still works great, and they are cheap as hell. Lingcodkilla has one too and he will vouch for them.

titties
May 10, 2012

hagie posted:

I have 2 myself, and caught that dink on one.

May have him try

Oh, cool. If he can't manage it then yeah, a closed-face zebco is the traditional, time-tested choice for a squirt. Can't go wrong there (until it flies apart and most of the pieces land in the lake)

titties
May 10, 2012

hagie posted:

I had him out on the drive tossing on a ugly stik and old Shimano quickfire, and he was throwing passable for bobbers and bait. I think I’ll hand him down my Sensilite rig since it caught me tons of fish in my early years, and is just the length and reach he needs.

Plus I have a ton of handed to me gear to hand down to him in case he turns fickle and doesn’t want to anymore My parents and I dumped a bunch of money into t-ball because of how much he enjoyed it...at the time. Now he wants nothing to do with it.

I take an old shakespeare microspin 4' rod with my r100 quickfire on it when I go panfishing and I can barely get it to cast 15 feet so he's probably outperforming me tbh

titties
May 10, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve fished before but only on boats in the ocean. I want to try fishing a lake or river or something.

I’m thinking about getting;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0KM8SW?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJKC&th=1&psc=1

In 6’6’’ medium-heavy and;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH8FHOO?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJKD&th=1&psc=1

In 4500.

This is based off of the advice of https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rod-reel-for-most-fishers/

It seems like that rod/reel will be able to handle whatever I throw at it. I’m in north central West Virginia. I know it’s not really the season to fish but here I am looking to buy stuff.

What else will I need to buy? After looking at some “what do I need to fish” lists this is what I’ve come up with as sort of the bare minimum.

Tackle box
Hooks size 6-10
Split shot
Bobber
Pliers
Knife
5 gallon bucket
Net
Ruler
Bait

That GX2 is not a "nice" rod but it will probably last forever.

Unless you're going for big salmon or something I think a 4500 size reel might be a bit of overkill and will almost certainly feel ungainly on a medium 6'6". I would recommend a 3000 size instead.

I would add some lip grips and a pair of hemostats to your list, it cam make it a lot easier to remove swallowed hooks.

You might consider a stringer as well. I don't know if you were planning on using the bucket to hold your catch but you could use it to caddy gear and as a seat instead.

E: I don't have experience with that Diawa reel but I am a fan of this reel if you;re looking for something a little less spendy.

titties fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 23, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

Sixteen days off from work (or longer since i may get laid off / fired), and i plan to do some steelhead fishing on the river.

Any tips? I can use whatever help i can get, I have not caught a single fish on the river this year.

titties
May 10, 2012

Estimates for this year (so far):
40 assorted panfish
15 bass
10 perch
1 northern
1 rainbow

Hopefully we'll get into some crappie and pike on the ice this year, also still hoping to bring home some steelhead from the river.

titties
May 10, 2012

I have a little pop-up shanty and I'd like to do some ice fishing. I've gone before, as a kid, but I've only ever cut my holes with an auger. I can't afford one right now, and I kind of don't want to hack through eleven inches of ice with a hatchet. Any low-cost suggestions?

I also don't know anything about heaters. Any recommendations on an inexpensive-but-not-totally-lovely heating solution?

titties
May 10, 2012

fair winds and following seas, may posideon's gilded turd chute blort forth a bounty of fish my friend

titties
May 10, 2012

It's going to be 30 below this week, I'd rather just wait for the drat spring

titties
May 10, 2012

Congratulations, friend. I've been lusty for some walleye ever since i started fishing again last spring and i haven't caught any yet (not for lack of trying)

I planned on doing so much ice fishing this year since I got Grandpa's shanty and jigging rods but it hasn't happened. The only things I'm missing are an auger and a heater. I thought I'd figure a way to make do but as it turns out -20 degrees freedom and eighteen inches of ice are not make do conditions imo

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

The shimano trigger caster are almost as cheap and very easy to use plus are fairly easy to find. It’s my go to traveling reel so I don’t get bummed if I lose it or have to leave it behind.

I would be bummed if i lost mine, but only because I've had it for over 30 years.

Which also, as mentioned, is one of the major advantages to spinning reels over closed-face reels. The little quickfire Shimano is my second reel ever. I still have it and use it on most of my outings. The first was a zebco casting reel that lasted about 2 months before it flew into a million pieces which landed in the lake.

titties
May 10, 2012

I use snaps or snap swivels on everything unless the packaging specifically says not to. Most of the time i have medium, light, and ultralight rigs with me and I'm constantly switching poo poo until i find something that's producing.

The time i spent tying leads with non-slip loops onto my lures has been far, far less than the time I'd have spent tying on lures on the water.

I also don't catch any fish so take it for what it's worth

titties
May 10, 2012

If any off you are Michigoons and you live somewhere in the middle of the state then come hang out with me at the trout derby next week.

Lake Billings in Manton, four hours north of Detroit, four hours south of the bridge. Starts Friday night, April 27th.

titties
May 10, 2012

I was reading this year's fishing regulations and it stuck out to me that it's illegal to harvest freshwater clams and mussels in Michigan.

It reminded me of the time i was crappie fishing with one of those multiple-hook crappie rigs. After some time with no action, I reeled in to find a mess of snarled hooks with a crawfish clamped down on one and a clam on the other.

What is some weird poo poo you unintentionally caught?

titties
May 10, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

An overly aggressive duck (line tangle only).

I'm always worried about this with the muskrat that hangs out near my usual fishing spot :ohdear:

titties
May 10, 2012

I've never seen a pickerel either but i always assumed it was the same as a northern Pike, really good to eat but you have to cut out the y bones which costs you a little meat

titties
May 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

I arrived into the other tackle shop in my town just after nine on this Monday morning..

You've done this properly imo. You'll pay more for the same stuff at the bait shop vs. Walmart or Dunham's or whatever but you're really paying for fish wisdom, not just the gear.

Also agree that it is not a successful day of fishing if you do not lose $8 worth of tackle.

titties
May 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

That meant I could go out into the field behind me and spend twenty minutes practicing casting (and I'll head out there another few times again.) I'm not getting much distance on it so far, but because of him telling me to do that it means I'm not figuring it out while I'm standing next to the harbour.

Did they spool the reel for you or did you do it yourself? Most of the time when i see people struggling with casting distance it's because they didn't have enough line on the spool.

Speaking of casting distance, i could use some advice. I have several small ultralight topwater baits that i can't cast further than like 10 feet. I thought that maybe because my ultralight rod was so soft and whippy i should switch from braid to mono, but it hasn't helped. Adding enough weight to cast them send to sink them or keep them from swimming properly.

titties
May 10, 2012

Okay, that makes sense. Line that's prespooled is low quality and probably has developed a ton of memory from having been wound on for years.

Pull all that poo poo off and get some good mono or superlineb braid like power pro or spiderwire and learn yourself how to spool your reel imo

titties
May 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I CAUGHT A BASS TODAY :D for about 5 seconds, before it fell off my line as I was reeling it in. gently caress :negative:

Can anybody give me any general tips for bass fishing besides “Cast, Reel in, Repeat until fish”?

I also need help figuring out how to read the data from my fish finder. It’s showing me fish, but not so much how far away the fish are or in what direction.

If you get into some small panfish there are probably some bass lurking nearby in slightly deeper water. This time of year I usually have luck with a spinnerbait or a beetlespin.

titties
May 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I spent a combined seven hours fishing today, both very early in the morning and late in the afternoon, and came up bupkis. I got a few nibbles, but nothing that led to a fish on my line. I’ve pretty much lost any urge to fish again tomorrow.

Bass fishing with no boat sucks.

There wouldn’t happen to be a good cheap one-person fishing kayak, would there?

A lot of the time bass aren't hitting because they're hungry, they're hiring because they're aggressively defending their territory. Go in armed with some spinnerbaits (the offset kind, not the online trout spinners), some plastics, some good ol fashioned nightcrawlers and bobbers, and a chatterbait to piss them off and you should be good

titties
May 10, 2012

I use snaps on pretty much everything. All of my lures have a leader tied on with a uni knot loop on the end.

I use snap or barrel swivels less often, but I don't have a problem with using them unless the lure specifically says not to use them (except that I can't remember which ones those are)

titties
May 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

no catch fish

You could try the aforementioned chatterbaits (just ask the person at the tackleshop), rattlers (anything with beads in it), or buzzbaits (they have a propeller-looking thing on them) to try to stir them up. If the bass are feeding you can try topwater baits like a popper, which swims on the surface and makes little plip plip noises.

LegionAriel and I have mentioned it, but if you follow the panfish and small perch you'll probably find a fat bass lurking somewhere. The big ones seem to like eating small panfish. put half a nightcrawler on a hook a couple feet underneath a bobber and you should find some panfish somewhere.

If everyone else is catching on spinners but you're not, try retrieving your spinners at a different rate. Maybe they're going too slow to trigger a reaction or too fast to seem reasonably realistic. Try fishing it at a different depth, give it a moment to sink before you begin your retrieve. Retrieve it in starts and stops, it will rise and drop as you do this and might seem more appealing. Don't be afraid to give it a twitch every now and then.

You'll get there. Don't lose hope.

LegionAreI posted:

If there is bass, there's panfish (usually) - what I do when I start to get frustrated is pull out the really tiny tackle and see how big/small of a bluegill I can catch. Also the prettiest color, neatest pattern, variety of species, etc. Generally you can catch them on worms, flies, hot dogs, corn, crickets, anything. Just make it small and light. Don't let anyone give you poo poo for panfishing.

He thicc, I love him

E: Yeah. no shame in panfishing. If you eat the fish you catch (I do), 3 decent-sized gills make a decent meal. Not the best fish to eat but they are palatable and not bad. Even better to get some fat crappie, they taste better.

Also they are fun to catch whether you're keeping them or not. Everybody likes bass because they are good fighters and a glory fish of sorts but they're not that good to eat. I've had some good results from bleeding them right away and batter frying the fillets, but it is easy to mess them up and have a mushy, unpleasant piece of fish.

titties fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 25, 2019

titties
May 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

In fairness, I’ve been fishing for bass and only really done the “cast, reel in, repeat” thing, so that may be affecting things. I’ve also been using mostly plastic/artificial bait, on 4/0 offset hooks and 12-lb (clear) line.

A four-aught is a pretty big hook for freshwater shore fishing. Fine for largemouths, but it's going to make catching anything smaller basically impossible.

A lot of plastics that are meant to be threaded on a hook are not good for retrieving, especially if they're worms. In general, if it's meant to swim and be retrieved it will already have a hook in it.

Plastics and lures have a much higher learning curve to them. The easiest and most reliable way to catch some fish is to use actual live worms and a bobber.

Is there a particular reason you're not interested in trying that? I know you're interested in bass, but it isn't like using nightcrawlers will preclude you from catching bass. Most fish are interested in a live worm.

titties
May 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Tried fishing again earlier this afternoon. Didn’t catch anything this time around, but I think that’s because I was fishing early in the afternoon as opposed to near dusk. I used minnows again and experimented with worms and nightcrawlers.

I would love to learn how to tie on a bobber. I bought a few the other day, but I’ve never used them because I don’t know how to put them on my line. The guy I talked to at the store told me to get these little sliding... leader... thingies for putting on bobbers, but I don’t remember any of the stuff he told me about how to use them.

I've kind of been invested in your progress because it's great fun to see someone starting from scratch, learning, and getting excited about their / your hobby. So glad you caught your fish.

I've never had a lot of knowledge about fishing. I grew up doing it, but the only things I learned from grandpa were how to tie a couple of knots, how to use an 80's fish finder, and that most any fish is interested in a worm. Everything else I've had to teach myself, and I consider my level of knowledge to be pretty basic. That being said, I'd like to offer some advice about your rigging if that's okay. (also if anyone thinks I'm full of poo poo and passing bad information then please chime in)

I see that you've got your hook attached directly to your snap. I've seen it before and you can definitely catch fish that way, but it has a couple of issues. One is that some fish might see the snap and get spooked. The other is that those snaps are designed to fail if too much force is put on them, so that you just lose your terminal rig instead of breaking off a ton of line if you get snagged. Having the hook attached to the snap directly allows the fish to exert force directly onto the latch, which could pop the snap.

The way I do it is to tie a leader to the hook which terminates in a non-slip loop. You can also buy pre-snelled hooks which already have a mono lead and a loop. Then you attach the loop to the snap, which provides some shock absorption and does not allow the fish to apply pressure on the mechanism directly. Here's a good non-slip loop.

Re: bobbers, they're talking about slip bobbers, a float that slides up and down your line. You set the depth by tying on a bobber stop. There are simpler kinds of bobbers to use, though. They're less versatile but easier to attach and adjust. here's a video that shows the two most common and how to rig them. It's pretty simple, you'll be able to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I think I see what you’re saying. Would there happen to be a simpler non-slip loop I could do? I only ask because I want to be able to look at that animation you linked when I fish (it looks kinda tough to do by memory), but the place I fish at has really lovely wifi.

That one's a little complicated but here's the thing: sit down and pre-tie some hooks and lures while you're watching tv. Cut off like a 16 inch length of mono, tie your hook or lure on with an improved clinch knot or a rapala knot or whatever, and tie your loop on the free end.

Once you have several hooks and lures with this type of lead tied on you'll be able to tie the knot from memory and you'll have enough tackle rigged to last you a while.

here's a link to an instructional image that you can just save to your phone or whatever