Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy crap I can't believe I missed this thread for so long. I'm or I was big into light tackle near shore fishing off the Bay Area half moon bay. My kids came along and really put a damper on fishing activities. I've been doing a handful of science research fishing trips per year. It's all catch and release but you fish all day. I've also fished Montana a few times but I'm that guy throwing top water lures while everyone else is fly fishing.
I'd like to get into near shore yak fishing next summer. Gotta save up for a used starter yak first.

35lb 90cm ling caught on 15lb test with no barbs. She was caught on a science trip so she got released. I'm the dork in the Hawaiian shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Didn't see any objections to ID requests in the op, hopefully nobody minds.

Caught this at Castle Rock in WI, know it's a bass, but not sure exactly what.

Actually you say fresh but it looks awfully like a croaker with those rays.

Fresh water drum.

Lol wiki
It is also called shepherd's pie, "perch", silver bass, gray bass,[3] Gasper goo, Gaspergou,[4] gou,[4] grunt, grunter,[3] grinder, wuss fish, and croaker, and is commonly known as sheephead or sheepshead in parts of Canada,[5] the United Kingdom,[6] and the United States.[3][4][7][8]

Wuss fish lol

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 28, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slugworth posted:

That was fast, thanks. And of that list, sheepshead is the only one I have heard around here.

Yeah I love identifing fish. Out in central to southern SoCal we have a salt water fish called a sheepshead too. Ours is one of those wierdos that start off all female and the largest female turns into a male as needed. Pretty good eating and a big target of spear and yak fishers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

RabbitMage posted:

Actually it's a sheephead, only one "s" for our gender-flexible-yet-still-very-sexually-dimorphic West Coast species. Pedantic rear end in a top hat, away!

Just kidding I'd like to stay.

I live in Very Northern California, and I have a fishing license and a cheap rod and I have no idea what I'm doing. So hey.

Coastal or inland? I could give some fun advice on coastal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

RabbitMage posted:

Coastal Humboldt County. I've been out a few times with my friends, but we all have no idea what we're doing. My friend's managed to catch a few surf perch, but no luck for me so far.

Oh good I think I can help. Do you have a jetty, pier, harbor, wharf, cliffs or just sandy beach?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Couldn't keep browns off the hook on the Madison in Montana last year at this time. Rappala rainbow trout pattern with a random retrieve. Took a few rainbows with it too. Silly piscovores.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you mean with really casual fishing just about anything will go for a worm. Just dig up a piece of earth a few yards back from the water.

I find bobbers tedious to keep were you want it to be an prefer using a surf casting leader with the bare minimum weight to keep it in one place. The leaders have two loops on them to place hooks and keep it off the bottom a bit. Keep your line tight so the bait stays off the bottom. Attach a little bell to the tip if you like.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Ok, I want to buy a set up for pier fishing over the fall and winter. How does this set up look:

The rod is rated for 1-8oz so it should cover all my pier needs and maybe let me do a little surf fishing when I get dragged to the beach in the summer. Does this look OK and/or does anyone have a different suggestion?

Find an ugly stick for half the cost I think. That's kinda really expensive for a pier pole. Kinda short for surf casting from my west coast experience. Surf casting was always less productive than poke poling anyways.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Where are you? What are you expecting to catch?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

There is basically one fishable stream that I've found nearby. Others are either C&R only (which I may hit up to practice on) or filthy. There may be stuff on the peninsula or around Santa Cruz, I'm still searching. I'm in the S.F. East Bay. Fremont's Dumbarton Pier sounds pretty awesome, goes way into the bay. My rod is only 5wt and has an appropriately sized line on it.

Pham I live within walking distance of the dumbarton Pier. PM if you plan on going as I would be curious. Not sure what would bite on a fly at the pier but I know of a lot of spots general fishing spots in the area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Clean out your inbox so you can tell me all the good fishing spots in the east bay :v:

Goddamn it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's not really that much of a secret. I use to do a ton of shore fishing in Santa Cruz. Depending on your mobility and comfort level with the ocean it's pretty fun and productive. The rocks on the inside of jetty of the Santa Cruz small boat harbor are extremely productive for rock crab. The outside of the jetty is good for poke poling for gopher rockfish and cabezon (need to keep an eye on the waves or you can end up getting hit pretty good and knocked into the holes). You can also cast from the end of the jetty and I've seen people bring in halibut from the sandy mouth and grass rockfish from near a kelp bed. Big eye, barred, rubberlip Surfperch cruise the inner harbor under the docks and fairly easy for kids to catch. Saw a kid drag out a legal lingcod out of a few feet of water near the boat ramp once.

If cliffs are your thing the cliffs just north of sunny cove beach have access through two houses on Geoffroy drive. They let it overgrow with weeds because the owners don't like scumbags ruining their view. It's usually filled with piss and poo poo and it's an extremely steep climb down but only for about 10 feet. The cliffs have very good surf perch fishing. Generally better than surfcasting but it's much more dangerous due to the waves and slippery cliffs. The mussel beds are decent bait but the pile worms that live in them are amazing bait. Very tough and stay on the hook almost as good as squid. A weak bleach solution on a bed of mussels will boil up with the worms. Please use a very weak solution it's all it takes. The worms bite too. The cliffs also produce an amazing view with tons of wildlife. They also have Dungeness crabs (you snag them from time to time trying to steal your bait)but I havnt quite figured out how to drag a trap up the cliff without banging it up too much. Snare trap might work.

Wear good grippy shoes and tough pants because the rocks are pretty painful to fall on. Fingerless leather gloves also help. You will fall.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woo boy you got a lot to learn. I'm going to highly suggest the first thing you do is find a charter party boat doing salmon fishing. Rent everything for the first time. Salmon fishing with good gear is quite a bit to jump right Into. You can also usually pay the crew to clean your catch for a tip.

Around here a trip costs about $100 maybe a little more if you need to rent. Your gear you need will be wildly different depending if you are trolling or mooching. Just be sure you wear layered gear and rubber boots.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Thanks guys. I'll look I to the guides. Seem like there are a lot around here and Steelhead is available for the winter.

How hard are open reels to learn on? Would a baitcaster be better?

I know this is odd, but I pan gold right now, and I'm kinda looking for something to do in tandem with it. Something I can bring my wife and son along with and have a nice day out you know?

The trick behind open reels is half learning how to wind the line on evenly and half how to keep tension on the line with your thumb when you let it out. A bait caster is certainly easier and is just fine for starting.

Yah shore based fishing for bottom feeders sounds like just the ticket. You can get a rod holding spike and bell for a basic fishing pole so you can pan for gold and then be alerted when something bites.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just check the law on on fishing for crawfish and you have bait for them!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I used the same Abu Garcia ambassador reel rated for 14lb test for 25 years before it died last season. I did everything from mooching for salmon, jigging for halibut and lingcod to actually throwing lures for freshwater bass and trout. Since I mostly do salt water though I'm replacing it with a Avet ex 5.3 "mc" as my do everything reel. It's super sexy and has a wonderful oversized crank.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A yak for the half moon area is my next major purchase. gently caress boat ownership.

Yeah that sTX would be an awesome first "nice" reel. The price point is pretty good for what you get.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ironsolid posted:

If you're referring to the Daiwa, it's amazing. The price is great for the reel.

Daiwa feel kinda cheep to me. I know some people like them and they are considered good. I was talking about the Abu Garcia.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

The main benefit of the low-profile reels IMO is the weight, they can be SUPER light, which makes casting smaller lures all day no problem at all.

Small lures small fish. Go big( normal sized reel) or go home!

Actually also those smaller reels are made with more plastics and have a much reduced line capacity. I prefer the slightly bigger chunkier reels that can take a beating and can hold enough line to jig at 70+ ft depth.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah sometimes I forget not everybody isn't fishing in shallow water ocean fishing were you could hook anything from a 1lb gopher rockfish to 50lb halibut or lingcod while jigging a 2oz chrome bar.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm guessing pacific off coast of Mexico?

Nice catch!

gently caress dealing with a moray.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Took my kids fishing for the first time this weekend. Being only four I tried to make sure the experience was as memorable as possible. I had access to a private camp ground with a well stocked lake. It didn't disappoint as we caught about eight 14inch plus rainbow trout in about 30 minutes.

I also caught and landed a log. My daughter is telling everyone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If it's anything like the west coast it's also like 1% of the total catch which is ludicrous in comparison. But you are right. Not enough lobbying money so you just lost your resource. Remember to vote folks! Though I have no idea who actually cares about fishermen and hunters these days.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sweet rig. Where are you?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm moving to penescola Florida for six months starting next January. Hoping to get a ton of fishing in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Caught a 25lb cat on a hot dog chunk so yeah,...not that picky.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shad is a really good food fish but you need to be loving filleting ninja to deal with the double rib bones.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Oh interesting, I didn't know that! I always assumed they tasted terrible given the reaction many people have to them. If I have another streak of fishing like that I might have to give it a try then!

Try cooking a big one whole then grabbing by the tail and gently shaking the meat off the bones. Or if the bones seem really small and you like crab cake after you do this throw it in a food processor grind it up and make shad cakes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

Tally. Those were caught at the St Marks Lighthouse.

Man I hope the Pensacola fishing is that good. I'll be stuck their for six months starting January

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

The flats will be dead from about December till march. Go way up in the rivers that emptry into the bays and the fish will be there. Water temps <50 will straight up kill a trout and make reds lethargic as hell. Offshore is pretty good on the reefs in winter though.

Oh? I may have to talk to you further once I get their and figure out my transportation options.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use an inexpensive ugly stick and shimano rig to throw rappalla surface plugs on the Madison river in Montana and caught stuff all day. Don't let the fly fishermen stop you from doing your thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kid Golbez posted:

Have boat access? The spring cobia migration and the start of the FL state waters red snapper season are things you won't want to miss. There is good surf fishing to be had as well.

I'll be at the navy base with nothing. I'm an avid fishermen so I figured to just buy what gear I need for closest fishing. Surf fishing might be my main style.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bottom fishing in Pensacola has been problematic due to all the decorator crabs. Not sure how I'm supposed get around that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

fknlo posted:

Crab leg feast!

Too small to bother.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just got a new set of orders to a different Navy base, and I show up with all of my tackle.

To find out that all the lakes are frozen. There's no way I'm ice fishing. None at all. Guess I gotta wait a couple of months until everything thaws.

Why couldn't I have gotten orders back to Pensacola?

Wish you had. I'm having a hard time finding any decent fishing from shore. The loving decorator crabs are just killing me. Cant even really eat the fuckers but they swarm my bait in seconds. When the weather gets a bit nicer we will be trying our luck on the base boats and kayaks.

Pensacola looks so promising but its hard not knowing the area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

swickles posted:

But it was really cold here. I think it was in the 50s at one point. What do you think I am, an eskimo?

Yeah I dont own any water proof pants and the rain was making my jeans chafe. gently caress that noise.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Hey Florida guys, I am heading to Miami next week and might have Friday and Saturday free to fish. I am working on Key Biscayne and was thinking of renting a kayak and fishing the bay.

I am going to bring a M action spinning rig and maybe an UL if I have room. Other then the popping cork/fake shrimp combo, what tackle should I be looking to pick up?

Would also love a rec for a rental place if anyone knows a good one.

I am extremely far from Miami. I hope someone hooks you up though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fishing report for today mouth Pensacola bay. Weather was awesome mellow. Low wind no chop. No fish either. We caught what I was told was squirrel fish and the damned thing bit me. Does everything really have teeth? Wtf.
About 10yrds from us some dudes caught a monster redfish. Looked to be 36+ inches. They took too long taking pictures of it and it went belly up when they threw it back. They ditched out fast after that. I was considering going and seeing if it just needed to be vented and a bull shark came and crushed it right in front of us. Had to be 10+ ft.

Waste not want not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ironsolid posted:

Going out fishing tomorrow! First time this year! The catfish bite is apparently pretty hot right now at Buckeye Lake. The shad are starting to move in to spawn. Nothing like active catfish AND active Saugeye!

Update since I last posted... a LONG time ago! The ice is melting in central Ohio, though this place is still garbage. After my last post talking about Saugeye fishing, I caught roughly 15 of them and a few beautiful rock bass.

Got a bunch of these for musky fishing, $3 a piece. Lost them all in 2 weeks. Was pretty sad.

Does anyone ever check pawn shops for fishing gear? I find little gems there constantly. Pawn Shops generally don't know dick about rods and reels, you can tell them about how X or Y is wrong and you'll need to completely take it apart and rebuild it to fix it, that is, unless they want to do it for you for the price they want.

Pawn shop wanted $150 for these. One was missing the original nut to secure the reel in place as well as the spacer. They were both a little tight, needed oil, etc. I told the guy they needed rebuilt (which they did need taken apart and oiled, badly). Brand new line, complete pay lake rigs and both working lights. Talked him down to $80 for both of them, "because of all of the work they needed." Twenty minutes and $0.50 of labor, and I have two working reels. I gave one of the reels to my buddy for Christmas and... got this one from the wife!

I didn't have the heart to tell her she spent too much money on me.

Love those over sized cranks. Nice reels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just remember to kill any carp you catch. Mega invasive destructive species.