Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
What is the most treasured fish of all? Is it something you'd have to catch on deep sea fishing or could I catch it in a small lake (Lake Ontario, so not a small lake per se but smaller than the Ocean obviously)? Thinking about doing some serious fishing for the first time without my dad to help me on the boat and I want to know which fish to gun for. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Fishing loving rules.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Cluricaun posted:

And each and every one of those can be easily and adequately targeted with the hook and float save perhaps for the muskie, but even then I know guys that have hooked into them while pan fishing because muskie are unpredictable in the extreme and exist solely to confound fishermen. When you say "rig" are you talking about terminal set ups, such as different methods and concepts of tying weights and hooks and leaders and such for live bait or are you talking about different methods and baits like spinners and plastics? Artificials are nice because they don't require you to lug around 20 pounds of water in a bucket for minnows or have to deal with running out of crawlers after an hour, however none of them can really touch live bait in terms of success. That's why tournament anglers are forced to only work with artificial stuff. Since I'm from the same area as you are give an idea of when and where you're thinking about fishing and what you'd like to go after and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

That being that, if you want to go out and catch bass and feel like you have Bill Dance level mystical skills at it target neighborhood retention ponds and throw wacky rigged stick worms such as Senkos or Yum Dingers in the 4-6 inch range. 8-10lb mono on a spinning reel, size 2 hooks, and just hook the worm through the middle so that the point comes out of the top and you have roughly equal lengths hanging off of each side like so:

No floats, no sinkers, nothing else. Hook, line, worm. They come in the complete rainbow of colors, but stick with green watermelon, it's the go to color. Toss this out between zero and ten feet from the shoreline casting straight out, to your left and to your right so that you can hit water that your footsteps haven't spooked the fish out of. Let it fall, don't work it, jerk it or anything else. Most of the strikes come on the fall, but let it hit bottom and sit there for a few seconds too. If nothing, slowly lift the bait up and let it fall again, the worm does all the work rigged like this, undulating like crazy as it falls throught the water. Lift and drop back to the shore paying attention once you can see it again because bass will follow this worm and can hit right at your feet even. Repeat as necessary. Most of the time you'll feel the hit, but if your line starts moving, set the hook. Ta-da, you're now a total bass fisherman.

That is badass, i am going to do that and catch some bass this weekend,.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Thats why in Florida the only thing better then being on the water is being IN the water. Plus you just learn to embrace the sweltering sweat. Its worth it for the fishing :feelsgood:

Heres a few clips of me diving under some huge sargrassum weed lines in 400-500' scounting for mahi mahi during the tourney I was in a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzzSRrJES4

Thats insanely sick