Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Hey, any info or good guides for someone getting back into fishing? A beginner as it were? I've started fishing streams, but I still don't really know what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

I'm beginning to hate perch. Is that wrong? Does anyone else hate perch?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Perch are just too tiny and keep swallowing hooks. I feel like a monster.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Salmon fishing is the best fishing I have ever done in my life. Tell me more about salmon fishing.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

I heard silvers are awesome fighters. I'm looking to get after them in rivers in Alaska. I got a good amount of pink today.

That halibut is rad.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Regular backpacks work fine for me.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

I want fall walleye. I can find no fall walleye. I have problems.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Went out over the weekend to use my Tenkara rod trout fishing in Wisconsin.

I feel so disappointed...

I'm sure I'll get better with practice but I feel like those rods are more useful in wide open rivers out west. I kept hitting trees and getting snagged, while my fly rod fishing friends just casted to and fro with ease. Was still fun to get out and tromp around a river and I like it for backpacking. Just not as simple as I hoped or thought it would be.

Fly fishing sucks. I love fly fishing. Just get used to losing tippet and leaders. You'll get really good at tying knots at least.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The chance to spend tons more money.

I was throwing rapalas in a very famous fly fishing destination getting some nasty looks while I was reeling in chubbies.

I took my friend fishing on a notable trout stream the other week. We were using spin gear and the two guys with fly rods looked like they wanted us dead.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Fly fishing is just very fun. If anyone gets a chance to fly fish, try to target species other than trout/salmon. If you want to see something that looks insane look up pin reels. I don't get how center pins work at all.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Ice fishing is probably the best type of fishing and everyone should do it.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I hope that there are many ice fishing posts this winter. I can't do it where I live, but getting piss drunk in a shack while catching panfish on a tiny rod sounds like a good time to me.

I'll try to do this for you.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Usually live bait. Wax worms and minnows. I'm going to play around with using wet flies this year, however.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Real trout is not good. Too delicate.

Have you ever smoked it?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ve had smoked trout. Never smoked it myself. Prefer wild salmon or albacore smoked.

Trout. Not as good as salmon.

You're not wrong.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Dukket posted:

That jibes with with I've been reading.

My recollection is that we use to catch pike using a heavy cord (with a leader) suspended from the ceiling of a shanty. That was a long time ago so its hard to say how reliable that memory is.

I will take any advice you have to offer. I'm hoping to find some folks to fish with, its always been a bit more of a social activity for me.

No auger, just a spud, which has always made me nervous. I'm hesitant to buy one until I've been out a few times, though I have to assume they are cheap on the 2ndary market in the twin cities.

You used a rattle reel. They're like tip ups - just as fun.

Edit: If you're in Minneapolis proper you can fish the Chain of Lakes, there's easy access and a few decent spots.

Mukulu fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 24, 2018

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

titties posted:

I have a little pop-up shanty and I'd like to do some ice fishing. I've gone before, as a kid, but I've only ever cut my holes with an auger. I can't afford one right now, and I kind of don't want to hack through eleven inches of ice with a hatchet. Any low-cost suggestions?

I also don't know anything about heaters. Any recommendations on an inexpensive-but-not-totally-lovely heating solution?

Where do you live? If you live in a place that gets less than a foot of ice you could buy a hand auger for less than 50 dollars. Look on Craigslist and you could find one for like 10 bucks.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

I cleaned my first pike the other week and it was a cakewalk once you do it the 5 fillet method. It’s no walleye easy cut and zipper the fillet, but it’s no so bad.

Fired it off to a coworker today, so we’ll see if I got all the bones out today.

Went walleye pulling with the softest rod possible. My little light 5.0’ is laughable when getting these 20”ers

The coworker complimented my fillet skills, commenting how thick and even the pieces were :blush:

Nice walters!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Gooch181 posted:

Is leaving my rod in the trunk of my car during the heat going to hurt it? I want to keep a fly rod in there for the occasional time at work where I'm killing time and there's water nearby. I assume a case for it would help, but I havent pulled the trigger on one yet.

A normal rod and reel+line will be fine. I wouldn't leave a fly reel and line in your car on a really hot day. Some fly line can get wonky after sitting in heat for a long time.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Had a blast with the rock bass this morning. Bass are so much fun

Hell yeah dude. Rock bass are so freaking cool! They are hands down one of my favorite fish to randomly hook.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What's worse than catching an eel? Catching one two loving feet long

That sounds like a good thing.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Yooper posted:

Hi fishing thread.

Any ice fishing goons? We got our first snow today, with any luck will have decent ice by Thanksgiving. My fish of choice is coho, whitefish, lawyer, perch, and walleye. I fish Lake Superior when I can, inland lakes, or Lake Michigan. Just sold my permanent shack, or rather gave it away for a six pack of beer. It lived a noble life.

(same image as above but like two hours later)

Holla. I've never ice fished the Big Lake before so I admire you already. Ice fishing = best fishing.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Learn how to roll cast. That's about all I have on fly fishing.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Lake Superior is fishing hard mode in every sense. Especially on the north shore. Every year they have to rescue idiots who drive out onto moving ice floes and lose their connection to land.

Growing up in Minnesota, I'm quite familiar with musty north shore cabins. Good times.

My buddy invites me to go ice fishing on the Big Lake every winter and I always turn him down because I've heard all about ice anglers getting trapped on a floating ice sheet.

I do want to shore fish Superior some day though. I've got a big old surf rod on back order so I'm hoping to bust that out this summer. Also this is going to be the year I fish some North Shore rivers for Pink Salmon (I've been saying this the past 3 years now).

Mukulu fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 12, 2020

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Pull the trigger and do it!

This will be the year, I swear! I'm eyeballing the Baptism River so I might try to make a weekend out of it and camp there in early to mid-September.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

prom candy posted:

Caught my first fish of 2020, a tiny catfish on a Mepps for some reason. Feels good!

Here's to many more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm a dork that has a bunch of overpriced sticks of graphite to fish with. A basic ugly stick is 100% the perfect newbie fishing rod. Cheap, durable and with a quality that you normally wouldn't get at that price point. I'd wager more fish have been hauled out with those rods than just about any other. Nthing the ugly stick recommendation, then just grab a cheap reel and some basic line and go fish.

I love Ugly Stiks so much and I recommend them to everyone. Plus they're affordable. I've beat mine to poo poo and they still haven't broke.