Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're not going to be sold out, just buy it when you wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the only people really excited about this product are existing AppleTV owners, and there's only like 6 of us.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm gonna set an alarm for 2 anyway because I like to feel like I'm excited about something in my life :smith:

C'mon Apple, give my life some purpose.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think the only people really excited about this product are existing AppleTV owners, and there's only like 6 of us.

Add another one to that list. Very excited for this overdue release.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I actually don't currently have an Apple TV, but I've wanted one for a while, so I'm glad to finally snag one. (Going for the 32GB, since I'm using all of 5GB on my 64 GB iPhone 6S.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Something I don't know the answer to: will we be able to actually store videos on the Apple TV, like syncing with an iOS device? Might push me towards getting a 64GB over a 32GB.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TinTower posted:

Something I don't know the answer to: will we be able to actually store videos on the Apple TV, like syncing with an iOS device? Might push me towards getting a 64GB over a 32GB.

Almost positive that's a no. You'll need to track down the Apple TV 1 to do that.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Diabolik900 posted:

Almost positive that's a no. You'll need to track down the Apple TV 1 to do that.

Really? That's actually too bad, if true. One of the main advantages of iTunes for me was being able to download videos before watching them so I wouldn't have to deal with buffering, or the Netflix effect where things look REALLY BAD for the first 40 seconds and then again for random 30 second intervals.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Really? That's actually too bad, if true. One of the main advantages of iTunes for me was being able to download videos before watching them so I wouldn't have to deal with buffering, or the Netflix effect where things look REALLY BAD for the first 40 seconds and then again for random 30 second intervals.

I'm pretty sure/hoping you can still use Home Sharing to stream from iTunes Libraries on your network like you could on the Apple TV 2 and 3, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to store videos directly on the device. They took that out five years ago and I don't think it's coming back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple TV 2 and 3 do buffer the videos on the local storage, which Netflix doesn't seem to do. Like if you try to watch a movie on a bad connection, it will say you can start watching the move in 20 minutes or more. Also even movies from a computer seem to be downloaded to the local storage.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What's the purpose of 64GB of space on the new one then? Just for app storage?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey Apple, let me give you my money already :|

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

tonic posted:

What's the purpose of 64GB of space on the new one then? Just for app storage?

Pretty much, yes. Apps also are limited to 200MB in static-size, everything else has to download.

dexter6 posted:

Martytoof posted:

I see I'm not the only one checking the store every hour or two. :)

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I know right??

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Store is live fyi

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ordered a 32GB. Shame Apple didn't offer free two-day shipping like with iPhone launches.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

mulls posted:

Store is live fyi

Yup. And looks like if you shell out for $20 for the extra shipping you can have it this week instead of after the weekend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered the 32 as well. Extra shipping wasn't even an option for my address (Toronto, residential) :(

Oh well, I've waited this long I can wait a little more.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kenderama posted:

Yup. And looks like if you shell out for $20 for the extra shipping you can have it this week instead of after the weekend.

I bet you can just walk into Best Buy on Friday and buy one.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Ordered. 32gb model

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

I bet you can just walk into Best Buy on Friday and buy one.

If you live near an Apple Store, returns are really easy. I always order stuff online to be shipped to my house and then also try to see if there are any in retail stores. If I end up with two, I can always return one.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

mulls posted:

If you live near an Apple Store, returns are really easy. I always order stuff online to be shipped to my house and then also try to see if there are any in retail stores. If I end up with two, I can always return one.

Exactly. But now I don't have to worry about it. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ordered a 32 GB with free shipping, but I'll prob go pick one up at a store if they're available before it shows up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone know the expected non-apple store retail date? The closest Apple Store is an hour and a half of way but I've got Best Buys and Targets everywhere here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ordered 64. TouchID so fast it did regular shipping before I could change. :/

[Ed] cancelled and reordered fastest shipping. Still says October 30 -November 3rd.
Hopefully Friday.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made a new thread since this one dates back to 2010 and has information still in the OP about the original AppleTV.

• Locked thread