Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"In the exhibit displayed above, YouTube user DeusVult1488's two hour video titled 'The international Jewish menace, and what is to be done about it' is ranked fourth on this list of search results. Would the defendant explain for the benefit of the court why this upstanding citizen's political views are being suppressed by their opaque and unaccountable ranking algorithm?"

"Your honor the search term at the top of the prosecution's results page is 'how to bake chocolate chip cookies'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hmm, yes, all the people installing firefox who would like to use yahoo search but can't be bothered to change the default

most users will not change the default, so ms outbidding google would result in most ff users using bing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

most users will not change the default, so ms outbidding google would result in most ff users using bing

can't be bothered to change defaults in a browser that isn't the default?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Progressive JPEG posted:

that’s what the numbers say. google knows exactly what they get for the money, and they are very happy to get that traffic at that price

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

After that ebay story where they proved that google ad buys had no effect on their traffic but continued to spend millions per year on ads anyway, I have no faith in any of these companies to be rational.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

ThePeavstenator posted:

After that ebay story where they proved that google ad buys had no effect on their traffic but continued to spend millions per year on ads anyway, I have no faith in any of these companies to be rational.

lmao, link?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

animist posted:

lmao, link?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
incredible, ty

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

you are describing my old boss

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/programming/GoConcurrencyStillNotEasy

quote:

Go is famous for making concurrency easy, through good language support for goroutines.

why do people still believe this? go does literally nothing to help you write correct concurrent programs

i'm going to make a language that makes cryptography easy!
*adds built-in enc/dec statements to encrypt/decrypt single AES block*
done!

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Effective marketing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

suffix posted:

https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/programming/GoConcurrencyStillNotEasy

why do people still believe this? go does literally nothing to help you write correct concurrent programs

i'm going to make a language that makes cryptography easy!
*adds built-in enc/dec statements to encrypt/decrypt single AES block*
done!
I think Go was somehow just a lot of people's first exposure to message passing style concurrency?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I wonder what percentage of go programs in the wild even use goroutines?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
goroutines make it easy to write programs with concurrency that appear to work, while the mainstream options when go first came out made it hard to even get to that step

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
goroutines came from that one fork of C that Rob Pike made, that had the same gimmick for concurrency, with all the same fundamental problems and issues. have they at least fixed the memory leak by now

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

goroutines make concurrency easy [to get started with and to gently caress up].

also they're too slow according to microbenchmarks so in practice all significant golang projects just use mutexes.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
no you see its what they use at google

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I get all of my UI design ideas from google, amazon and photoshop
All authentication ux must be exactly implemented as my bank does
I am product

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

suffix posted:

because developers see “has a language construct for concurrency” and immediately conclude “makes concurrency easy enough I don’t have to think about it”

the industry went through this with Java, for gently caress’s sake, and with C# too, and had to re-learn that lesson both times

on Apple’s platforms we went through this with threads, @synchronized, atomic properties, and libdispatch, and developers had to re-learn the lesson each time

and of course a repeated complaint about Swift since it’s introduction has been that it doesn’t have any special concurrency constructs, as if adding them at the language level will somehow make concurrency any easier than having dispatch, threads, etc. available at the library level

the only thing sillier than the “«thing» needs to be in the language to make it easy” meme is the “«thing» should never be used” meme, such as the SQLite creator’s opinions on threads

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

goroutines came from that one fork of C that Rob Pike made, that had the same gimmick for concurrency, with all the same fundamental problems and issues. have they at least fixed the memory leak by now

this is basically the story of Go though, it’s all Pike’s fork of C for Plan 9 and beyond

and honestly that poo poo is one of the reasons I never got particularly interested in Plan 9, I never felt its mutations to C actually improved C (unlike Objective-C’s additions or even C++’s additions prior to template metaprogramming)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Objective-C was until recently the only permitted language on the biggest money-making software platform of all time.

Can you name a single software project that used it voluntarily (i.e. on any target other than Apple's poo poo)?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

because developers see “has a language construct for concurrency” and immediately conclude “makes concurrency easy enough I don’t have to think about it”

the industry went through this with Java, for gently caress’s sake, and with C# too, and had to re-learn that lesson both times

on Apple’s platforms we went through this with threads, @synchronized, atomic properties, and libdispatch, and developers had to re-learn the lesson each time

and of course a repeated complaint about Swift since it’s introduction has been that it doesn’t have any special concurrency constructs, as if adding them at the language level will somehow make concurrency any easier than having dispatch, threads, etc. available at the library level

the only thing sillier than the “«thing» needs to be in the language to make it easy” meme is the “«thing» should never be used” meme, such as the SQLite creator’s opinions on threads

doing concurrency in the language will in fact make concurrency way easier than having dispatch, threads, etc. available at the library level, which is why we're doing exactly that in swift

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

Objective-C was until recently the only permitted language on the biggest money-making software platform of all time.

Can you name a single software project that used it voluntarily (i.e. on any target other than Apple's poo poo)?

it combines the familiarity of smalltalk with the user-friendliness of c, so i can't imagine why it wasn't a hit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

this is a thread for shitposting about programming languages, not for just being repeatedly wrong

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MononcQc posted:

goroutines make concurrency easy [to get started with and to gently caress up].

also they're too slow according to microbenchmarks so in practice all significant golang projects just use mutexes.

unless it's changed, channels also just use mutexes under the hood anyway

there was another good article years back about what else is bad about go channels: https://www.jtolio.com/2016/03/go-channels-are-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

shlomo posted:

Effective marketing.

all those "we switched to golang and it's so good" articles take a weird light when you realize they're always either:
- writing a new service from scratch and using golang
- rewriting an existing service and switching to golang

and wow wee what do you know, they get to use golang and it's like a breath of fresh air and everyone is happy and I no longer feel burned out at work.

now is that because golang is a good language to use (it could play a part, not going to lie), or is it because the thing they were working on before was a legacy application written in either an old java implementation or a python/ruby implementation that was thrown together and accumulated cruft, making it painful to work with?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Concurrency is a loving mess anywhere, just stop doing multiple things

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mystes posted:

I think Go was somehow just a lot of people's first exposure to message passing style concurrency?

judging by the medium posts that show up on reddit and hacker news, go is a lot of people's first exposure to static typing

:smith:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

brand engager posted:

Concurrency is a loving mess anywhere, just stop doing multiple things

:hmmyes:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

the original doom and quake editors on nextstep

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Rust's `Send` and `Sync` marker traits are a true blessing. if there is a problem or criticism of them please post it. i haven't gone too deep in concurrency hell so i don't know if there are demons they can't handle.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rjmccall posted:

doing concurrency in the language will in fact make concurrency way easier than having dispatch, threads, etc. available at the library level, which is why we're doing exactly that in swift

I’ll believe that when I see it; in almost every case I’ve seen, language features just make concurrency look simpler rather than actually make writing working and performant code easier

the only exceptions I’ve seen are Occam and Erlang; in both, what the language offers is pretty much all you get, and Occam is basically assembly plus channels where you also have to annotate all basic blocks as parallel or sequential so it’s only “relatively” easy

eschaton fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 4, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Hewlett-Packard was a significant user of the Stepstone compiler, they used it for building the software that ran on instrumentation like logic analyzers

and of course you’re conveniently erasing all of the people who became NEXTSTEP, Mac OS X, and iOS developers because they loved the platforms, and wound up loving the language and tools too

sorry being a carpetbagger means you don’t get to call the shots

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eschaton posted:

Hewlett-Packard was a significant user of the Stepstone compiler, they used it for building the software that ran on instrumentation like logic analyzers

and of course you’re conveniently erasing all of the people who became NEXTSTEP, Mac OS X, and iOS developers because they loved the platforms, and wound up loving the language and tools too

sorry being a carpetbagger means you don’t get to call the shots

i feel like there is something wrong with one's fundamental life outlook if you find yourself thinking that this is a normal thing to post

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The_Franz posted:

the original doom and quake editors on nextstep

oh yeah, even through the late 00’s people were still being scouted to maintain and enhance systems developed at financial institutions on NEXTSTEP in the early 1990s, where it was mainly selected for development agility

same reason some three-letter agencies adopted it at the time, they could throw together new analysis tools very quickly with it

“mission critical custom applications” are what kept NeXT afloat between the cancellation of hardware and the introduction of WebObjects

Lisp Machines had a similar story; they were big in areas like oilfield seismic analysis where spending $75K/developer and $25K/analyst on workstations was no big deal when a single find could mean millions to billions in additional revenue

(this died out mainly because Symbolics’ performance stagnated while commodity hardware caught up, the inflection point was around when a workstation with 1/3 the performance was under 1/3 the price, because that was fast enough and could be made up for in volume)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

judging by the medium posts that show up on reddit and hacker news, go is a lot of people's first exposure to static typing

:smith:

targeting junior developers seems like a good way to get a lot of overly excited blog posts written about mundane aspects of your thing

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Most people writing golang apps don't need complex concurrency that covers complex use cases, they want simple and easy that covers simple and easy use cases, and for this it works great and it's a huge step up from python

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
doesn't python have a queue module?

or is this a "source your quotes" that went over my head

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

abigserve posted:

Most people writing golang apps don't need complex concurrency that covers complex use cases, they want simple and easy that covers simple and easy use cases, and for this it works great and it's a huge step up from python

how is it a huge step up

i have no counterargument, i can slap together poo poo that works and makes money in half a day or so in python 3, so i want to know what the gains are, whatever they may be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hi just wanted to say why are enums in csharp so poo poo? it is too much to ask to have a type safe enum where you can easily go var thingtype = myThingEnum.FromValue(3) or something?