Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe they can join scala instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

loll at moving discussion to reddit, that wont be toxic at all

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i knew something like this was gonna happen eventually. a lotta underground fractures been simmering there for years I think

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

Maybe they can join scala instead

also lol

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

animist posted:

i knew something like this was gonna happen eventually. a lotta underground fractures been simmering there for years I think
are you somehow implying that relentless positivity can be a sign of toxicity? well I never

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

loll at moving discussion to reddit, that wont be toxic at all

it’s surprisingly ok. guess they do a decent job moderating the subreddit.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm interested in the tea about some nefarious Amazon takeover of the community's power centers, although this particular issue seems to be CoC violations by members of the ruling committee and not Amazon.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Since I love drama I wish they would have actually said what happened, but I generally trust Andrew to have actual reasons for doing things.

Of course HN believes it’s all Ashley Williams’ fault, or the very notion of having a CoC and moderation team in the first place.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yeah hn/slashdot love to frame ashley's twitter as some disgusting hive of racism and sexism for tweeting kill all men once. its hard not to create drama in these scenarios but further comments seem to be focusing on the general difficulty in resolving disputes between the mod team and the core team more than the specific dispute in question, which is a far more productive thing to talk about than "we must punish this person for justice to be served"

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

animist posted:

please expand

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm interested in the tea about some nefarious Amazon takeover of the community's power centers, although this particular issue seems to be CoC violations by members of the ruling committee and not Amazon.

that was my read as well, and the reply to this comment seems to corroborate that https://reddit.com/r/rust/comments/qzme1z/_/hln65nd/?context=1

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that was my read as well, and the reply to this comment seems to corroborate that https://reddit.com/r/rust/comments/qzme1z/_/hln65nd/?context=1

yeah from this it seems like there’s something regarding a core member that got stonewalled and they looked at the governance structure and said “there’s nowhere for us to go to resolve this, there’s a bug in the org”

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

FamDav posted:

please expand

don't encourage overeating

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
wtf is a moderation team for a programming language?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wtf is a moderation team for a programming language?

upholds code of conduct (unless a core team member is the violator)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
something tells me if you have a volunteer HR department for your community, the people who volunteer are not going to be the people you want in that role

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i'm confident the moderation team didn't consist of the first five volunteers from reddit

and anyway they just un-volunteered so that means they're legit right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

1) why does a programming language need a moderation team?
2) "trust us guys it's bad but we won't say what it is" lol, just let it out man geeze

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i just wanted to bbe a moderator for a niche programming language

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
having a real hard time figuring out why a large project consisting of many people working together might want to have and enforce some guidelines for working together

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

If your language has a CoC then you’re going to have something that is a de-facto mod team, right? otherwise the CoC means nothing. Also naturally the mod team/CoC only applies to either to contributions to language/compiler issues, or to official events and forums.

I’m also annoyed at the vaguebooking but the mods in question are longtime contributors to various rust projects and the community as a whole so I’m willing to wait and see, and assume they had a reason to do what they did.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

akadajet posted:

1) why does a programming language need a moderation team?

lol at posting this when last page was “scala is the language for nazis”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can someone at all explain what is going on though? i understand the implication (and am prepared to accept it as likely true) that someone on the core team is a horrible person, but surely there's something more known that can be added?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn’t look like it even needs to be a horrible person necessarily, due to the ambiguity of the mod team having any authority over core. it could be something like “we told X core member to apologize for Y in an interpersonal conflict and they told us to gently caress off” because it also seems that the core team is also part of moderation, as they approve any suspensions/bans as well as unilaterally issuing their own bans/suspensions.

Somewhere in the Reddit thread one of the mod team in question outlined what the duties of the mod team actually are and it does seem to be real muddled when it comes to the core team. They’re supposed to “mediate” when a core member is involved in something interpersonal but it feels like that could break down real easily.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i remember the days when, if you had an interpersonal conflict with a core team member, the core team member told you to go gently caress yourself, and that was it, you stopped contributing to the project. i'm not saying that is a good solution, but i am failing to see how a volunteer HR department with no actual power is any better

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
you've gotta admit "we told X core member to apologize for Y in an interpersonal conflict and they told us to gently caress off, so we all did" would be a fairly amusing outcome

i'm kinda hoping for a wildcard like amazon seizing control of the project and using leverage on a bunch of people to silence dissent

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

i'm kinda hoping for a wildcard like amazon seizing control of the project and using leverage on a bunch of people to silence dissent

this would be way more interesting than what’s probably going on.

e: not sure why people keep trying to dunk on them as “volunteer HR” though. again, if you have a CoC then someone’s gonna be filling this role. Do they become untouchables when they become mods?

Gaukler fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 23, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

one of the former mods talks about their motivation for not giving deets here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/qzme1z/moderation_team_resignation/hlodwwq/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

can someone at all explain what is going on though? i understand the implication (and am prepared to accept it as likely true) that someone on the core team is a horrible person, but surely there's something more known that can be added?

there’s no information available, presumably to avoid inciting a witch hunt or personal attacks. rust development organisation’s (not foundation’s) “hr department” (moderation team) has resigned, intentionally vaguely alluding to irreconcilable differences between them and the “board of executives” (core team) on the subjects of accountability, code of conduct enforcement

the op of reddit thread i linked above contains the full resignation statement, since 2 of the 3 official moderation team members also moonlight as moderators on the unofficial subreddit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

there's also this comment I think by a former mod:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/qzme1z/moderation_team_resignation/hlo0acb/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

one of the former mods talks about their motivation for not giving deets here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/qzme1z/moderation_team_resignation/hlodwwq/

unless it would put a victim in danger this poo poo is weak

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i think rust mod teams have always have had the approach of trying to redirect + memory hole drama as quickly as possible. i remember a few years back somebody threw a shitfit cause the core team reverted something he was doing with 128 bit integers; there was a bit of an uproar and he tried to fork the stdlib... I don't think anything ever came of it, nobody even remembers it now. the reddit mods basically shut down discussion of it after a while and I think other places did similar. i think other drama has gotten a similar response -- the async fighting comes to mind.

it's been effective? they've at least been able to defend against forks. and I think it's been effective for preventing too many hate mobs from forming. but idk how well it'll work if they're trying to coup the core team w/o telling anybody why lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

animist posted:

i think rust mod teams have always have had the approach of trying to redirect + memory hole drama as quickly as possible.
that's just because the rust mod team wants their coc to be a zero cost abstraction, op

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

that's just because the rust mod team wants their coc to be a zero cost abstraction, op

lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mystes posted:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

mystes posted:

:hmmyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this week in stalling over just coding something: ive been reading about f# units of measure system, which looks really cool for systems modelling

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this week in stalling over just coding something: ive been reading about f# units of measure system, which looks really cool for systems modelling

it's such a cool feature that ive never really got to use. every time im writing typescript involving % or similar I wish I could embed it properly in the type system

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can get the same stuff in c++ (wrote my own for learning, others exist), we also have a pre processor over our c written in ocaml which does the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sweeper posted:

we also have a pre processor over our c written in ocaml

why do people inflict such things upon themselves