Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
roslyn's ability to consume .editorconfig files, rolled out with great fanfare, khas been broken for over a year now and they just keep pushing resolution back so if you want linting in c# you either have to buy jetbrains stuff (good, but not free) or roll your own analyzers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

raminasi posted:

roslyn's ability to consume .editorconfig files, rolled out with great fanfare, khas been broken for over a year now and they just keep pushing resolution back so if you want linting in c# you either have to buy jetbrains stuff (good, but not free) or roll your own analyzers

... How long did it take to figure out? Everyone I know that uses c# has jetbrains

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unicode isn’t really an encoding anyway.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Victor is cspam level shitposter, never take his tweets at face value. This one is likely about a paper going through SG16 with non sensical opposition.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 5, 2022

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Unicode isn’t really an encoding anyway.

anything is a text encoding if youre brave enough

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
For example a JSON array of ints.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Xarn posted:

For example a JSON array of ints.

the ints encode a utf-8 string but the file itself is in ucs-32

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
You are thinking too small, the ints encode UTF-EBCDIC text.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
came too late for pythonchat:

https://twitter.com/moyix/status/1479190533918625794

same reason I use Python, when I do

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i can respect that view, but my reason that I DO want to use those is because im a bad programmer who can't keep poo poo in my head and if i don't write down all my constraints and assumptions and have the compiler check them for me i'll forget and everything will break

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gonadic io posted:

i can respect that view, but my reason that I DO want to use those is because im a bad programmer who can't keep poo poo in my head and if i don't write down all my constraints and assumptions and have the compiler check them for me i'll forget and everything will break

yes, the most important thing a compiler can help me with is not algorithmic efficiency, but not forgetting this invariant that I wrote a bunch of code depending on last week

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i like the computer yelling at me when i forget that a list of numbers isn't a number

maybe i am a compiler cuck

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I love having types that catch me making mistakes and I love python (and mostly not having type support) too

I’m a deeply sick individual

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Mypy is cool and good and we use it everywhere we can. It’s a shame it doesn’t play well with argparse though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

why doesnt it work with argparse

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fart simpson posted:

why doesnt it work with argparse

argparse returns an argparse Namespace. I’m not familiar with the argparse inner workings, but mypy doesn’t seem to know what any specific argument type is supposed to be.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Mypy is cool and good and we use it everywhere we can. It’s a shame it doesn’t play well with argparse though.

use something else to parse args then. click seems pretty ok

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there's also this one, but it looks a bit boilerplatey

https://github.com/swansonk14/typed-argument-parser

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020
ed kmett just did a drive-by explanation of comonads to me and its the closest ill get to having a haskell job

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Logflat Badness posted:

ed kmett just did a drive-by explanation of comonads to me and its the closest ill get to having a haskell job

you know him irl?

did he do the “comonads are basically oop” explanation or something else

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020

fart simpson posted:

you know him irl?

did he do the “comonads are basically oop” explanation or something else

nah he just made me write out the comonad instance for `(,) e` in the "Haskell Sapphistry" discord server, then my laptop died before i could ask him about his machines package

he's a very nice dude to talk to, would recommend listening to him even he does go on tangents about comonad-to-monad transformers or whatever high-level abstract bullshit that flew over my head

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Logflat Badness posted:

nah he just made me write out the comonad instance for `(,) e` in the "Haskell Sapphistry" discord server, then my laptop died before i could ask him about his machines package

I checked and he's still he/him what is he doing in a server for haskell lesbians

:v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is the (,) operator called donkey tail because it should be

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Also standardizing on Pycharm for development.
We are not allowed to use PyCharm now, because JetBrains TeamCity was a potential vector for the SolarWinds hack.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Carthag Tuek posted:

it’s not an operator it’s a function

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Carthag Tuek posted:

what font are you using it's clearly a hippo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Presto posted:

We are not allowed to use PyCharm now, because JetBrains TeamCity was a potential vector for the SolarWinds hack.

:rip:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Presto posted:

what about pycharm with teamcity plugin disables? python touching job where pycharm is prohibited is a genuine “leave your job right now” situation

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Presto posted:

lol yeah we had the same thing for a while. after much outrage our it security folks eventually settled on a compromise where we’re allowed to use paid versions but not the community edition. which seems utterly nonsensical and I have no idea wtf the rationale is supposed to be but I’m gonna leave those worms in their can

(it’s probably an arbitrary distinction so they don’t have to admit they did a racism because jetbrains devs have scary russian-sounding names)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

(it’s probably an arbitrary distinction so they don’t have to admit they did a racism because jetbrains devs have scary russian-sounding names)

it is, they are from a shared codebase (like 99% loc shared between the two, excluding some non-public plugins in pro)

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Presto posted:

it wasn't though, was it? you shoudl tell them they need to discontinue the use of windows because that actually *was* a vector

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
why is it that security people get half a stiffy at just the thought of being able to tell people they aren't allowed to do something

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
90% of our backend is written in Kotlin at this point so it would have been the funniest loving poo poo in the world if we had to stop using IntelliJ

otoh maybe if that had happened there'd actually be good Kotlin tooling for other editors but uh at that point you'd also probably want to stop using Kotlin

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

my homie dhall posted:

why is it that security people get half a stiffy at just the thought of being able to tell people they aren't allowed to do something

security people think that the purpose of computers is to be secure

everyone else thinks the purpose of computers is to do things with the computer, which security people consider a dangerous and pointless risk

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Janitor posted:

security people think that the purpose of computers is to be secure

everyone else thinks the purpose of computers is to do things with the computer, which security people consider a dangerous and pointless risk

security experts     🤝     haskell experts

programs must not have side effects

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what about pycharm with teamcity plugin disables?
It's more Solarwinds hack --> Teamcity --> Jetbrains; therefore, a blanket ban on all Jetbrains products.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Presto posted:

It's more Solarwinds hack --> Teamcity --> Jetbrains; therefore, a blanket ban on all Jetbrains products.

yeah i figured out later i misread it, which makes the decision even stupider

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Quebec Bagnet posted:

security experts     🤝     haskell experts

programs must not have side effects

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
sufficiently advanced security software is indistinguishable from malware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Internet Janitor posted:

look, we all know the security people are correct here