Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
p languages are bad
use java or c#
etc.. etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python was never cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java is the best. python is trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ronald Raiden posted:

right because nobody has made anything in python or ruby oh wait no there's tons of poo poo in python. and probably ruby I guess. And each of them have a package manager that comes with them too so its easy to add libs. I went back to java for a thing recently and was surprised by how much extra work I had to do, I was too used to python where poo poo is way easier.

lol no. java is like 10000x easier. maven is the best build/dependency management tool there is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Janin posted:

anyone who thinks running javascript is a good idea should get a new job as a walmart cashier

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
git more liuke git out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is bad for ui code. i cant even imagine trying to use it for server stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ya thats why web "development" sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sulk posted:

upsides: money
downsides: java, bulls, bears, blackhawks, white sox, cubs

maybe i'll learn java. i dunno

java is an upside

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont like that maps are called dictionaries in c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Janin posted:

dictionaries and maps are different thing. the c# Dictionary type is a dictionary, not a map.

oh yeah? whats the difference?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
HashMap is a type of map but not all maps are hash maps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Map is correct because it is a mapping of keys to values

Dictionary is incorrect because dictionaries are a specific type of map

Hash is incorrect because it is a specific implementation of a map.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

could be that i'm dumb but idk where you're going w/ that

map in map -educe refers to a proper map so idgi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
html is trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ppp posted:

java is a piece of poo poo on unix

actually its the unix thats poo poo. also dont use non-oracle vms

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
openjdk is not a real jdk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if it isnt hotspot or jrockit its not java

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ppp posted:

its by oracle

no its sun discards

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
openjdk is oracle like openoffice and mysql are oracle.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they're all terrible sun things that oracle got along w/ their purchase but doesnt give any shits about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

its sort of the equivalent of riding lawnmowers slowly over a decade becoming the standard mode of transportation with all this carlike poo poo crudely welded onto the sides and now your actual car can't drive on the tiny little roads and every time someone raves about some great feature of their new mower like "hey did you hear? the new model John Deeres have these lamps that let you safely drive in the dark so you don't have to carry a flashlight with you! they're called 'headlights!!!" you look back on your audi or lexus or whatever and die a little inside

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason that the language features from desktop apps cant be used in web apps. ex: replace javascript with byecode, replace html/css with xaml. you write whatever you want and it gets compiled to bytecode that gets sent to the client rather than the client downloading the source and compiling it in realtime which limits your language availability. then replace html + css w/ something like xaml and u've got dynamic UIs that are fed to the user over http. all the benefits of desktop apps, none of the shittyness of js/html/css.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you need a desktop mail client use microsoft windows live mail 2011 sp1

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

haskell is stupid and no one uses it, thank god

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

it's loving stupid to think this sorry. bye

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

lmao if your program isn't simply a collection of smaller single-purpose programs that talk to each other using character streams that can have their parallelism managed by the os

:barf:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah was about to say that too

how the gently caress are threads that hard

autism brains are single threaded so they dont get it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. rest apis are a good sign you hosed up bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
b/c "REST API" is codeword for "bunch of crap we put together. heres the word doc the intern wrote that mostly explains all the parameters"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
real APIs are self documenting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
first python, now earlang. what unfinished language will math students jump to next!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
math majors cant use java cause it works and has finished features+libraries.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BonzoESC posted:

and java is missing some very important and useful features python has

like sucking? or maybe code obfuscation tools? java has those but they're 3rd party

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

if by finished you mean 'project coin will never see completion', sure.

idk what project coin is but finished as in a usable, practical product

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
either us an anonymous class or make an object like ur supposed to. function pointers are gross

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 30, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
OO only in my OO language please. garbage "functional" code stay out.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes they have a few primitives that make sense and + is overloaded on strings for concatination.

but oh no this is too simple and makes sense. lets make everything able to operator overload so we can have a big lovely mess of crap like in c++. lets not stop there, we can have functions be primatives too so people can write even more unreadable code. thats just what i want in a collaberative environment where im probably working w/ idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho lol @ that autoboxing bug w/ ints or w/e. that was pretty good.