Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Paint Tool Sai is another program that is hugely popular amongst artists. It can work with Photoshop files and its popularity makes it easy to ask advice / settings for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for a recommendation on a resource: I could use a good, fairly robust architectural reference book. This would be for writing, not visual art, so while good pictures and diagrams are certainly useful, I'd also need some decent descriptive material, historical reference, etc.

Basically I'm looking for a book that would help me in writing descriptively about, for example, a Catholic cathedral without having to resort to saying "one of those prayer nook things off to the side of the big open area where the pews are"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm so bad visually, I cannot draw or design anything, its really sad for an IT person. I want to make a gif from a youtube video, caption it as well as extend the canvas at the top to put a title, both texts will be static. Whats the easiest way to achieve this? I've basically done it using giphy to make the gif and then ezgif.com to add the text, but it looks really bad. The title especially is illegible whether I make the text white or black

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

codo27 posted:

I'm so bad visually, I cannot draw or design anything, its really sad for an IT person.

Why? IT is about fixing stuff. The job doesn't require you to have every computer skill. I'm a print graphic designer, but I suck at video. So what?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

That aside, you can make gifs with photoshop and some photoshop-like programs. That’s what I did back when I had a computer. It’s easier to control the quality of the end product if you don’t rely on suspicious webzones.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have a similar question to codo27's- haven't made a GIF in like a decade and for some reason it seems like it's way harder to do with free software than it was back then. I got thirty frames- I want to create a loop of: hold on Frame 1 for a couple seconds, cycle 2-29 at 24fps, hold on Frame 30 for a lil while, cycle 29-2 at 24fps

it seems like it should be rly simple but I can't find an easy way to do it without buying Photoshop, which isn't rly an option rn lol

NERD poo poo AHEAD:
codo- I haven't worked in IT since like 2002, but I've been a freelancer since then and I'm reacquainting myself with the field to get a coding or infosec job with health insurance- here's what I've managed to do, as I understand it w/computerbrain:
-use a downloader service to download a youtube video as an .mp4 (other formats might work with this method, but .mp4 doesn't artifact as hard as, say, .mkv)
-open the .mp4 in VLC and use the record feature (might have to turn on advanced controls) on the part of the video I wanna giffify- on Windows, a snip will show up in the /users/username/ folder, I'm guessing it's prolly ~/ in Linux and also maybe on Mac
-set up the GIMP Animation Package and use the new Video menu to 'extract frames from video'- it'll pop up a dialog for selecting which frames you wanna extract and how- this will result in a GIMP environment with each frame loaded as a layer
-crop the stack of layers to the desired dimensions
-now ideally, ya SHOULD be able to make GIMP animate the layers the way you want at this stage, but, well there are problems I'll mention inna bit
-instead, I have both exported all layers as separate .xcf files (gimp's native filetype), and also as a .ora archive which opens in 7zip as an archive full of .pngs
-from here I feel like there should be a rly easy way to tell a computer 'do this'- I haven't hosed with imagemagick except to do quick filetype conversions and scaling, maybe that's the solution, but this is like one of the very few times I'd prefer a GUI, lol

if any of that's kinda muddy, you should be able to rtfm your way through it like w/any other piece of software, available documentation out there is p good-

the problem arises in using GIMP GAP- it was last updated a decade ago, for Gimp 2.6.x, so it doesn't play nice with 2.10+. You have to do some workarounds to get GIMP to use it at all, and half the scripts don't work anymore, or don't work as intended. Additionally, GIMP animations can only use 256 colors for the whole animation, instead of 256 different colors for each frame, so I even more don't wanna downgrade my GIMP install or struggle with putting 2.6 on here in parallel with 2.10 to make it work
NERD poo poo ENDUT

so- is there a free option to animate these PNG frames I have, besides Photoshop? Open source would be ideal, but freeware will work, too- I'm just a lil wary of closed-source freeware since it's the kinda thing that sometimes tries to stealth-install an Ask Jeeves search bar or something. Looking around, there are free super simple solutions that don't give me enough control over holding a frame, or are a huge pain in the rear end where I gotta sort hundreds of copies of frames in the exact order I want them, etc. I have Sony Vegas on my desktop PC, but it's broken rn in a way that needs $$$ to fix, and all I got is this laptop from 2010 which might struggle to muster the RAM/CPU for a full video editing suite

anyway. what programs, specifically, are ppl using to turn frames into magic movin pictures??? do they make free ones for poors?

e: lol just noticed that was from like two weeks ago :x

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

in case anyone refers to this, figured it out with some help

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you're comfortable on the commandline, ImageMagick can do that. IIRC it's something like

convert -delay 25 1.png -delay 4.16 2.png -delay 4.16 3.png -delay 4.16 4.png -delay 4.16 5.png ... -delay 25 30.png -delay 4.16 29.png -delay 4.16 28.png ... out.gif

The delay is given in centiseconds (hundredths of a second) and unfortunately as far as I can tell has to be specified for every individual frame if you want a variable-framerate GIF.

so like- gettin comfy with a GIMP, VLC, imagemagick, and maybe gifsicle toolchain might be a good first step?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I use an old program called Ulead Gif Animator for quick & dirty stuff like that. It may be freely available now due to how old it is, but for efficiency and ease of use, I hadn't found anything else comparable.

Actually, in re-reading what you're looking for, that's trickier. You could replay 2-29 after 30 (which would then be 31-58) but then that adds to the filesize. But that's less of an issue with mp4 / gifv's being a thing.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 14, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm looking to commission a book cover and am looking for an illustrator who can work in a particular style. Where would be the best place to search for illustrators open to commissions? Ideally somewhere that I could sort by style?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487&pagenumber=1 our own work-for-hire thread!

If not that, Fiverr is alright I've heard. I'm not aware of anywhere that can sort by style, though.

Artdome did a book cover challenge a couple of weeks back, maybe you can see someone to your taste there. What style are you looking for?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Browsed through the various art threads here and didn't see any goons posting similar work, but I'm going for an oldschool 50s comicbook vibe, the sort of shadowy, minimal, overly-hatched, dramatic vibe you'd find in EC Comics titles. I'll take a look at Fiverr, didn't realize they were good for illustration. I'll pop an inquiry in that thread if my search doesn't turn up anything promising. Thanks!

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Can anyone recommend a good paid learning site? I'm interested in photography, videography, photoshop, lightroom, premiere pro, etc. I'm looking at Lynda, Creativelive, Udemy, etc. Just not really sure which one to go with. I'm fairly green in all areas.

edit: preferably something you can pay per year and get everything so I guess that rules out Udemy

drowningidiot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 28, 2019

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Your only option is Lynda as it covers everything you named, has good instructors (but not all of them), as well as good value for your money.
Never go Udemy for anything creative, or anything you named really. In all of my years have seen just a few good courses that came out of it, the rest is clickbait made by intermediates at best.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Strotski posted:

Your only option is Lynda as it covers everything you named, has good instructors (but not all of them), as well as good value for your money.
Never go Udemy for anything creative, or anything you named really. In all of my years have seen just a few good courses that came out of it, the rest is clickbait made by intermediates at best.

It's a real shame that Lynda is $30 a month. It is a good resource.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Your local library might provide access to it for free. I have found (at least for mine) that it doesn't work with the mobile app.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you've sworn off Adobe products lately and want a decent replacement, let me give you these two 200% zoomed samples from Affinity Photo and Krita.

On the left is text by Affinity Photo handles text really well. Kerning, spacing, rendering of fonts are about on par with Photoshop and creating lots of different text blocks is a breeze.

ON THE RIGHT IS AN UTTER PILE OF DOGSHIT FROM KRITA. Anything really small has its antialising turned off, its text has to be entered in a completely seperate text box that's not on the artwork at all. CANNOT RECOMMEND.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Krita really doesn't do text well, it's my biggest issue with it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Welcome to fonts in open source software :-(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"I must be doing something wrong, who would deliberately cause the output to be that bad?!"

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Affinity is offering a 90-day free trial of all of their software and selling it for 50% off right now.
Adobe is also offering CC for 60 days for free. Apparently you can cancel your subscription and re-up with the free trial.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Judas Horse posted:

For writers: Cold Turkey Writer.
https://getcoldturkey.com/writer/

You can set a word count or amount of time and it blocks out everything else until your goal is reached. Good for people who want to get into the habit of writing but are easily distracted.
The only thing that can close it aside from reaching your goal is turning off your computer, so it's pretty stubborn as a blocking app too lol.

desperate times...……

I wish u could play music tho but tyyyyy

im gonna see if you can actually

e: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 times everything

take the moon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 24, 2020

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Sorry if this has been covered, but is there a good website with visual architectural definitions for authors?

I'm trying to do an old chateau setting without sounding like a moron.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When in doubt, call it a sconce.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

When in doubt, call it a sconce.

So far the chateau is made of porticos, daises, and rotundae

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a goon-approved online Photoshop/ Paint.net website that could be used for creating basic digital art?

Our schools are closed and I have to completely retool my Visual Arts class. I think that putting a greater emphasis on digital art would be the best way to get students to complete work.

Not all students will have the ability to download paint.net, so having an online equivalent that could work on older laptops and iPads feels like the way to go

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 2, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a goon-approved online Photoshop/ Paint.net website that could be used for creating basic digital art?

Our schools are closed and I have to completely retool my Visual Arts class. I think that putting a greater emphasis on digital art would be the best way to get students to complete work.

Not all students will have the ability to download paint.net, so having an online equivalent that could work on older laptops and iPads feels like the way to go

Pixlr is pretty decent as an online PS replacement.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I just got a galaxy tab with the s-pen, what's the best android-based art program these days?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

We should add https://www.photopea.com/ to the OP.

It's web-based photoshop and it's free!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Anyone have a good drawing tutorial for capturing likeness in portraits? Preferably for someone with advanced skills. Can be traditional or digital.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Anyone have a good drawing tutorial for capturing likeness in portraits? Preferably for someone with advanced skills. Can be traditional or digital.

I'd like to find one too because I'm really struggling with this. The only "hack" that I've found when doing portraits is turning the reference and your picture upside down when comparing as that helps you to stop seeing a face and just seeing shapes instead, making it a bit easier to spot differences.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I need to figure out how to paint portraits as well.

I am going to perform best in a continuing education class. That will help keep me consistent and provide me with direct feedback.

Frustratingly, I'm not seeing any portrait painting courses. Only portrait drawing. Then various types of non-painting courses.

Think I might do the portrait drawing course as a start?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Does anyone know of an alternate to Deviantart? I tried Behance but can't upload Psds. DA has a useful layout but the site is host to a lot of creepy stuff and I wouldn't mind something that I can put on a resume without wincing.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Darth Brooks posted:

Does anyone know of an alternate to Deviantart? I tried Behance but can't upload Psds. DA has a useful layout but the site is host to a lot of creepy stuff and I wouldn't mind something that I can put on a resume without wincing.

Artstation. It also has a barebones portfolio feature that can be client facing. I dunno about .psds though. Why do you need to upload .psds?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I had some templates that I made for football helmets and uniforms. If someone wanted to use one they could d/l it.

Here's the DA page: https://www.deviantart.com/darth-brooks/gallery

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Ironically a lot of people are now leaving Artstation over the issue of AI art programs stealing from other artists on the site and then the new "artists" posting the results on the site themselves.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Darth Brooks posted:

Ironically a lot of people are now leaving Artstation over the issue of AI art programs stealing from other artists on the site and then the new "artists" posting the results on the site themselves.

Ironically?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I just added my stuff to it and there's an exodus.

kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014
If you only need a portfolio rather than the community, it's quite straightforward to make a nice looking portfolio on carrd or Wix or similar sites, even the free versions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm also looking for a Deviantart alternative to post finished work. I made a DA just cuz it's low stakes and what I'm familiar with, but they're also doing the same AI thing artstation is doing (though I don't know if it's as bad; the option for "let my art be scraped by AI" was defaulted to off when I registered at least). Tumblr is an option I guess, never used it, but I'm already using Twitter to kinda blog about it and post progress pics and statuses so I'll probably only check it out if there's nothing else. I recently heard about inkblot.art and it seems okay. They bill themselves as "for creators by creators," I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about them.

This is for amateur/hobbyist type stuff if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Any recommendations for making good quality prints of physical art? I've scanned some original paintings that I want to make some prints of. Initially just a small number of prints but I'm considering selling at some point too.