Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some years back, a goon posted his WIP graphic novel here (possibly it was in GBS) and It looked incredible. I asked him about how was able to get such nice looking backgrounds/environments and he revealed that he was using a CAD program, and then I believe he redrew them in PS.

I'd like to do something similar. I have a project I'd like to start working on and I'd really like to build a foundation for what will amount to a ton of illustrations. I have zero experience with CAD. I'd like something that will let me build/pose crude models of my characters, and craft simple environments to create reference material for something that will later become ink/multimedia illustration. The only other requirement is that I'd like to have some sort of lighting system I can control. I guess tldr I want to be able to create story boards and remove the guess work from perspective and lighting because I'm lazy and let my self get too tripped up with perspective sometimes. It feels a little cheaty but whatever lol.

Do you guys have any recommendations for what program might be the best place to start? I know there are a lot of free ones, would they be sufficient and in that case which one would be the best? I'm also willing to pay a bit if it's worth the price although my funds are limited. Something that can run on a 5 year old macbook is also a huge plus.

Also any beginner tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of a luddite and I have very little experience with using computers for art in any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm looking for a tool that I assume probably exists but I really don't know where to look outside of like, sketchup which I haven't used in eons and I'm not sure is good for what I am looking for.

Basically I've been wanting to work on a comic book idea I have been kicking around in my head for a long time, but I want it to be pretty dynamic visually, and I worry that my sometimes limited ability when it comes to perspective would hold it back. What I'd like to do is find a 3D modeling program where I can just make very basic models of characters and backgrounds, so I can essentially take snapshots and use them as references. Something that would allow me to pose and move stuff around easily would be great. The more user friendly and cheap/free the better. I have very little experience doing 3d modeling. I don't need anything that advanced. I basically just want to be able to make a rough framework for something so I can fill out the details by hand. I just want something to remove the guesswork with perspective and lighting.

If anyone has any recs, or even a better idea for how to accomplish this I'd appreciate it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you are right that I need to learn blender but my god it's intimidating. I've been trying and the learning curve feels insane.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the Blender Guru Donut tutorials is what I was working off of. Very helpful and well thought out, but the problem with using Youtube videos for something like that is that after a few hours I hosed something up and had no idea why it was hosed up or what to do to fix it, ultimately making it so I couldn't continue after working on my donut for a few hours. Was probably something that would have taken two seconds to fix for someone who knew what they were doing but to me it might as well have been quantum physics lol.