Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Ughhhhhh.

I'm trying to build Android source so I installed Ubuntu 12.04. Found out that there are issues with that so I installed 11.10. Finally finished setting everything up and downloading the files only to get an error about being on a 32-bit processor. I knew that it required 64-bit but somehow forgot to make sure I had downloaded a 64-bit version.

So now I'm looking around for a 64-bit version but I can only seem to find it for AMD processors. Is there a 64-bit version of 11.10 for i386?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Ughhhhhh.

I'm trying to build Android source so I installed Ubuntu 12.04. Found out that there are issues with that so I installed 11.10. Finally finished setting everything up and downloading the files only to get an error about being on a 32-bit processor. I knew that it required 64-bit but somehow forgot to make sure I had downloaded a 64-bit version.

So now I'm looking around for a 64-bit version but I can only seem to find it for AMD processors. Is there a 64-bit version of 11.10 for i386?

AMD64 works on Intel processors, it's just called that because AMD released the first 64-bit processor specification.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Ughhhhhh.

You are mixing up a whole lot of terms here. What processor/computer are you trying to install onto? The last mainstream intel processors to not support x64 were core duos I think and those are on the order of 8 years old now.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

You are mixing up a whole lot of terms here. What processor/computer are you trying to install onto? The last mainstream intel processors to not support x64 were core duos I think and those are on the order of 8 years old now.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, it was late and I was frustrated after spending all day trying to get everything setup.

The processor is an Intel Q6600. The fact that all the builds were called AMD64 and not x64 is what threw me off. I have it installing now.

Thanks for the help guys.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Longinus00 posted:

Use the nomodeset kernel option to boot in and install the proprietary nvidia driver.
This fixed it, still quite a large bug for an LTS (yes I realize it's in the kernel)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
So I'm teaching myself how to use linux using Ubuntu, and I was just browsing through the free and open thread in GBS when this was posted regarding linux:

Jailbrekr posted:

And please, for the love of Pete, run it in a VM with snapshotting enabled if you are just starting to learn. Until you have a basic grab of how linux patching and security works you run the very real risk of it becoming someones ssh/http proxy.

Is this something to really worry about? Are there any settings I should adjust in order to protect myself?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The Third Man posted:

So I'm teaching myself how to use linux using Ubuntu, and I was just browsing through the free and open thread in GBS when this was posted regarding linux:

Is this something to really worry about? Are there any settings I should adjust in order to protect myself?

With Ubuntu out of the box, you should be OK. I don't believe that SSH even comes pre-installed. Assuming you have a home router, I doubt you already have port 22 forwarded.

I'm just a dabbler at Linux and will admit I don't yet know the finer points of security, but I'm not really sure what Jailbrekr's concern is or if it applies to Ubuntu desktop use. Maybe he doesn't want anybody running off and setting up some unsecured web server.

Of course, if you install an ssh server or any outward-facing server, make sure you use a very secure password (or disable password auth). Romanian botnets love spamming port 22.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 30, 2012

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

The only network-related changes I've done is open up port 64738 for murmur, and I've got that forwarded via my lovely home router(Netgear WNR2000v2). I've been browsing this thread on and off, too.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Third Man posted:

I think it's more along the lines that newbies are more likely to just randomly run/install poo poo they find posted online.

One classic is
code:
:(){:|:&};:
fork bomb

Something like this is probably more appropriate.

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2007/Aug/71

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 30, 2012

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is there some way to make windows like Terminal, "Home Folder", and System Monitor not start with their top left coordinate = 0,0? Whenever I launch terminal or a nautilus window it collapses the... taskbar (? the thing with the start menu, all the running apps, etc) even if there isn't another application on the entire desktop. It gets annoying to have to drag every window so the bar pops back out and is usable.

For posterity: After my upgrade the first autologin worked great but then I rebooted and I couldn't log in any more. The greeter would take my password the screen would turn black for a couple seconds and I'd be back at the greeter. Turns out I didn't have the ubuntu-desktop meta package installed, so I installed it over ssh, which brought a handful of other packages and fixed the problem.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Installed Pangolin on friday night. Now I have the following issues:

1) Random logouts where it dumps me back to the Ubuntu login screen, losing any open work as it does so.

2) No power button in top right. (hard button still brings up shut down dialog)

3) No volume button in top right.

4) No apps listed in dash. unless its already in the dock, I can't get to it. This includes Terminal. Unable to install anything from the ubuntu app store as the permission dialog appears and disappears instantly.

5) Flash is super crashy in firefox, but can't install any variations, as above.

6) Video played through the video player is blue tinted.

I presume a lot of this could be down to my nVidia card, going by discussions in here. How can I fix this, without access to the terminal? CTRL-ALT-F5 just gives me a dead screen. Tried to fix using dpkg in the boot menu, but to no avail. I get some info about out of date for unity lens???

Otherwise 12.04 has been just PEACHY.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Heid the Ball posted:

1) Random logouts where it dumps me back to the Ubuntu login screen, losing any open work as it does so.

4) No apps listed in dash. unless its already in the dock, I can't get to it. This includes Terminal. Unable to install anything from the ubuntu app store as the permission dialog appears and disappears instantly.

5) Flash is super crashy in firefox, but can't install any variations, as above.

I presume a lot of this could be down to my nVidia card, going by discussions in here. How can I fix this, without access to the terminal? CTRL-ALT-F5 just gives me a dead screen. Tried to fix using dpkg in the boot menu, but to no avail. I get some info about out of date for unity lens???

That poo poo's hosed dude, did you upgrade or do a fresh install?

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Heid the Ball posted:

12.04 has been just PEACHY.

Can you can use the run dialog to execute gksudo apt-get install ubuntu-dekstop?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Mark Kidd posted:

Can you can use the run dialog to execute gksudo apt-get install ubuntu-dekstop?

It would appear not. I can get to the shell from the boot menu, will try it from there and come back to you.

^^^ 2 above

Upgrade. Can't believe how ganked it is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Heid the Ball posted:

Upgrade. Can't believe how ganked it is.

That's seriously hosed up. Something definitely didn't go right. Did/do you have a bunch of PPAs for system-level stuff set up?

does apt-get -f install show anything to fix?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's seriously hosed up. Something definitely didn't go right. Did/do you have a bunch of PPAs for system-level stuff set up?

does apt-get -f install show anything to fix?

Just run apt-get update which did some stuff. No improvement.

Libatk-adaptor-schemas 2.4.0-1ubuntu2 seems to be causing the problem now.

Any ideas?

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Heid the Ball posted:

Just run apt-get update which did some stuff. No improvement.

Libatk-adaptor-schemas 2.4.0-1ubuntu2 seems to be causing the problem now.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but after you ran apt-get update did you also run apt-get upgrade?

How about just installing the ubuntu-desktop package?

I ran into some issues myself updating from Xubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 that may have been related to metapackages, but I was eventually able to push through the trouble with apt-get over ssh. Wish I could say for sure that is the same kind of issue you're running into, but it may not be related.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Mark Kidd posted:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but after you ran apt-get update did you also run apt-get upgrade?

Yup

Mark Kidd posted:

I ran into some issues myself updating from Xubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 that may have been related to metapackages, but I was eventually able to push through the trouble with apt-get over ssh. Wish I could say for sure that is the same kind of issue you're running into, but it may not be related.

I'm not entirely sure whether I've done it or not. Without ready access to Terminal its making me jump through hoops. I'm sure I just used CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the shell five minutes ago, try it now and its dead-screening me. This thing keeps cutting my hands off every time I try to fix it. Run command from the dash does not work. HELP.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Heid the Ball posted:

How much did you change in your install vs. the default? Some of the stuff is due to nvidia bugs (that blue tinting) but other stuff just sounds like your install is missing a bunch of stuff.

Mark Kidd posted:

How did you lose your xubuntu-desktop metapackage? Did you uninstall some default programs and not catch it getting removed?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Heid the Ball posted:

Either X or Gnome is crashing

quote:

This sounds like the display resolution might be wrong as those are on the edge of the screen.

quote:

This sounds more serious, like one of the system daemons is hosed (d-bus maybe)

quote:

It sounds like one particular thing like an incomplete driver package installation could have done something here.

You can try alt+f2 (within Gnome) to launch gterm. First steps I'd try is apt-get update and apt-get -f install. You can also boot into single user mode.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Heid the Ball posted:

Yup

I'm not entirely sure whether I've done it or not. Without ready access to Terminal its making me jump through hoops. I'm sure I just used CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the shell five minutes ago, try it now and its dead-screening me. This thing keeps cutting my hands off every time I try to fix it. Run command from the dash does not work. HELP.
Wait, how did you update to 12.04?

If it involved the apt-get upgrade command something probably broke for good reason. apt-get upgrade will not remove/add packages as dependencies change with newer versions (this is most likely how you end up without various metapackages). apt-get dist-upgrade does the more reasonable thing (and if you're following a beta or similar you should be using it anyway).

If you did apt-get upgrade after a non-real upgrade (eg manual changing the entries in sources.list rather than running update manager) then things would be pretty broken.

do-release-upgrade is your friend.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

babies havin rabies posted:

With Ubuntu out of the box, you should be OK. I don't believe that SSH even comes pre-installed. Assuming you have a home router, I doubt you already have port 22 forwarded.
No open ports by default is a long-standing ubuntu policy

quote:

Of course, if you install an ssh server or any outward-facing server, make sure you use a very secure password (or disable password auth). Romanian botnets love spamming port 22.
You can also install the denyhosts package to get 3 remote login tries before a 10 minute ban or so.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

How did you lose your xubuntu-desktop metapackage? Did you uninstall some default programs and not catch it getting removed?

Not sure how it happened, except that X started crashing after apt-get dist upgrade and reboot. Even though I use this as a headless personal server, I've got a desktop distro installed because tell myself I need a graphical environment to remote into as a fallback(training wheels, by any other name).

Pretty sure I didn't uninstall any default software.

In the end, there are some still some screwy things going on with the server (some feel like permissions, but Samba performance took a nosedive as well) so I will flatten and reinstall once I get the time. Disappointing, but not too surprising from a desktop *buntu being upgraded, in my limited experience.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Seeing all this talk about issues with 12.04 LTS has scared little 'ol me into seriously considering just keeping this new tower I cobbled together on 11.10 until the first point release comes out. It boots, wifi works, and it doesn't look like it's going to explode anytime soon so why tempt fate, right?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mark Kidd posted:

Not sure how it happened, except that X started crashing after apt-get dist upgrade and reboot. Even though I use this as a headless personal server, I've got a desktop distro installed because tell myself I need a graphical environment to remote into as a fallback(training wheels, by any other name).

Pretty sure I didn't uninstall any default software.

In the end, there are some still some screwy things going on with the server (some feel like permissions, but Samba performance took a nosedive as well) so I will flatten and reinstall once I get the time. Disappointing, but not too surprising from a desktop *buntu being upgraded, in my limited experience.

I've upgraded many times and never had any issues that were due to the upgrade itself. I've even survived an upgrade that got interrupted by a reboot midway through, I was able to continue the upgrade after the system restarted.

If you're up for it you can trawl the various /var/log/apt/history.log files for when you lost your xubuntu-desktop. Something like
code:
zgrep -in "Remove.*xubuntu-desktop" history.log*
will work. If that doesn't find anything get rid of the "Remove.*" part and try again.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

Is there some way to make windows like Terminal, "Home Folder", and System Monitor not start with their top left coordinate = 0,0? Whenever I launch terminal or a nautilus window it collapses the... taskbar (? the thing with the start menu, all the running apps, etc) even if there isn't another application on the entire desktop.
I figured it out!

I was still running an old theme, which I had switched to when Shuttleworth said "Let's put all the buttons on the left!". I switched my Unity 2D theme (System Settings -> Appearance -> Theme) to the default and now new windows start to the right of the launcher bar. Oddly they now all stack up one titlebar-height on top of each other until I move one then one launches on the right side then go back to starting at the top of the screen.

Also after a year now I've just realized the "Recently launched" app list doesn't contain an app if that app was last launched from recently launched and is still running. Want two terminal windows? Sorry, you can only launch one from the recent launch, then type Terminal to get a second instance. My head swims to ponder the requirements document for this. I imagine a use case with a user actor with a lot of question marks over its head.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slopehead posted:

Seeing all this talk about issues with 12.04 LTS has scared little 'ol me into seriously considering just keeping this new tower I cobbled together on 11.10 until the first point release comes out. It boots, wifi works, and it doesn't look like it's going to explode anytime soon so why tempt fate, right?

There's no compelling reason to rush in, no. I like to try out the latest releases on experimental machines, but the system that I use every day for actual work and screwing around on the Internet is still on 10.04LTS. Same for a couple of servers. There's another year to go before the security updates stop coming out for it, so I've got plenty of time. Meanwhile I'm happy with what I have.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
I'm thinking of finally dual-booting this release, rather than playing around with it in Virtualbox. The one thing I'm wondering before I go ahead with it is why 32-bit is still the recommended version. Is it mainly to prevent the technically inexperienced from downloading something that might not work with their architecture, or are there still major compatibility issues with 64-bit?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

sass menagerie posted:

I'm thinking of finally dual-booting this release, rather than playing around with it in Virtualbox. The one thing I'm wondering before I go ahead with it is why 32-bit is still the recommended version. Is it mainly to prevent the technically inexperienced from downloading something that might not work with their architecture, or are there still major compatibility issues with 64-bit?

That's odd, I thought they planned to change the recommended version to 64-bit upon this release. I didn't really notice if they did or not because I needed 32-bit anyway.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

That's odd, I thought they planned to change the recommended version to 64-bit upon this release. I didn't really notice if they did or not because I needed 32-bit anyway.

I heard that as well, still shows 32-bit for me on a 32 or 64 system. 12.10 maybe?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CapnBry posted:

I figured it out!

I was still running an old theme, which I had switched to when Shuttleworth said "Let's put all the buttons on the left!". I switched my Unity 2D theme (System Settings -> Appearance -> Theme) to the default and now new windows start to the right of the launcher bar. Oddly they now all stack up one titlebar-height on top of each other until I move one then one launches on the right side then go back to starting at the top of the screen.
One little gotcha about GTK themes is that they can actually do a lot more than Windows themes - they can run arbitrary code. So themes can and do exist that do all manner of strange things (and that code can break in unexpected environments such as, say, switching to Unity).

quote:

Also after a year now I've just realized the "Recently launched" app list doesn't contain an app if that app was last launched from recently launched and is still running. Want two terminal windows? Sorry, you can only launch one from the recent launch, then type Terminal to get a second instance. My head swims to ponder the requirements document for this. I imagine a use case with a user actor with a lot of question marks over its head.
If it's already running then it's in the dock and you can get another instance by right clicking its dock icon and picking the menu option

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

sass menagerie posted:

Yes, that's the only reason. Running 32-bit on 64-bit apps works pretty drat perfectly now that we have multiarch*

*compiling them yourself is a little more involved, but I've only heard Wine developers complain about that since Wine is the only app I can think of that needs to be built for two arches simultaneously on the same machine

Mak0rz posted:

We strongly considered it but changed our minds at the last minute when it was discovered a full 25% of our hardware survey respondents had machines not even capable of 64-bit.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

babies havin rabies posted:

I heard that as well, still shows 32-bit for me on a 32 or 64 system. 12.10 maybe?
My honest guess is that at some point we'll just switch to a bi-arch DVD as the recommended.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I decided to make the jump to 12.04 and it runs much smoother than 11 did, but QuickSynergy keeps dropping connection for me and unfortunately that's pretty much a deal breaker for me :(

Any idea what might be causing this?

EDIT: Ubuntu is running as a client, and it seems to be happening whenever I try and use a hotkey in the Ubuntu system, i.e. ctrl+L or Alt+Tab, etc...

EDIT 2: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synergy/+bug/926198

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 1, 2012

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Upgraded my work computer from 11.10 to 12.04 without a hitch. Thank god 'cause this is the first time I've successfully used the upgrade tool without my system getting hosed in some fashion (granted, the last time I used the upgrade tool was in the pre-6.10 days)

I love that they fixed some Unity usability issues with dual monitors, but I've noticed that the graphics seem to be a little more sluggish than 11.10 (I'm running 2 monitors each at 1920x1200.) In 11.10, I've had to add the ubuntu-x-swat PPA with newer nvidia drivers to fix graphic "smoothness" issues. The same PPA doesn't seem to be helping in 12.04

Edit: Random small note.. I love the choice of default wallpapers that the artwork team has been choosing ever since the shift in Ubuntu's design paradigm.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2012

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!
Does anyone know if wireless drivers would have been improved in 12.04? Last night I hosed around for like 2 hours trying to get the broadcom-sta driver to work with the broadcom 4313 network adapter on my laptop but gave up after a while. This was still on Kubuntu 11.04, so not sure whether upgrading will do anything.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

piss explosion posted:

Does anyone know if wireless drivers would have been improved in 12.04? Last night I hosed around for like 2 hours trying to get the broadcom-sta driver to work with the broadcom 4313 network adapter on my laptop but gave up after a while. This was still on Kubuntu 11.04, so not sure whether upgrading will do anything.

I have a 4312bg in my laptop, and it works splendidly in Xubuntu 12.04. I've never had any problems since 10.04, however.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I still don't care for unity. Xubuntu updated and I'm running that with decent results. Since there is now a working pcoip client for Ubuntu, I made a base build for some aging laptops and basically made zero clients out of them, captured an image with clonezilla and done.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 1, 2012

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Trying to assign a keyboard combo for launching Synapse, no matter what key combo I try I get this error. "Failed to register hotkey 'activate' with signature 'key combo'

I've looked through the keyboard shortcuts and I am not attempting to set anything that is already in use. Alt-2 which is the same key combo that I have used for the last two release cycles.

Any ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ShadowHawk posted:

We strongly considered it but changed our minds at the last minute when it was discovered a full 25% of our hardware survey respondents had machines not even capable of 64-bit.

Which would mean 75%, or 3/4 majority could run 64-bit :confused:
How low would the percentage of 32bit need to be??

• Locked thread