Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Powered Descent posted:

Mate is pretty much exactly Gnome 2, with a bunch of names changed around to avoid conflicts. It works exactly like Gnome 2 always has. But there seem to be only four people on the project, and there are some very big jobs ahead of them on their roadmap (like eventually porting everything to GTK3). I wish them luck, but realistically I'd say Mate is more of a stopgap solution than a long-term one.
Personally, I like how cinnamon is coming along. It's developed by the mint guys as a fork of gnome3, and will probably be the default environment for the next release IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Having some problems with the new default music player, Rhythmbox on a standard 12.04 install. When I double click on a music file (doesn't matter the format) Rhythmbox opens but it doesn't enqueue or play the file. Is that the expected behavior? I'd like to be able to play a music file by double clicking on it in nautilus if I could. I know all my codecs are in order, I can open a file manually in Rhythmbox and it plays without issue. Any advice?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Zom Aur posted:

Personally, I like how cinnamon is coming along. It's developed by the mint guys as a fork of gnome3, and will probably be the default environment for the next release IIRC.

I also like cinnamon, the first release was really buggy though. I might give it a shot when Mint 13 comes out, as it should be a lot more polished then.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I just got the update message from USC about the 12.04 upgrade, and in the details list part of the 1.3GB (!?!?!) upgrade is that banshee is no longer supported. What is with Ubuntu constantly changing core apps and repackaging the same functionality instead of actually improving or fixing things?

For example, Microsoft wireless mice have a weird issue where the scroll speed is half a page per click and there isn't anything in the mouse settings dialog to alter it. A bit of googling show this is a common issue and the current accepted solution is to unplug and replug your mouse every time you boot. And this is an issue a few years old for a significant number of users.

But the only upgrade we seem to see in ubuntu are switching apps around willy nilly and playing with the UI. F-Spot photo manager was replaced by Shotwell an upgrade or two ago with less features and no clean library upgrade, Rythmbox was replaced by Banshee and now is going back to Rythmbox. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it but changing fashions in the gnome community about asinine stuff like what language the apps are implemented in that the user doesn't see or care about.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have a Dell XPS M1330 and I'm getting sick of how slow Windows 7 seems to run. It's only an intel core 2 duo with 1gb of ram but even opening a pdf or something takes a frustratingly long time.

Is it worth switching to Ubuntu if speed is my priority? I've used it before which is why I'm drawn to it, but maybe I should try a different distribution if ubuntu is not significantly faster than windows?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

fuf posted:

I have a Dell XPS M1330 and I'm getting sick of how slow Windows 7 seems to run. It's only an intel core 2 duo with 1gb of ram but even opening a pdf or something takes a frustratingly long time.

Is it worth switching to Ubuntu if speed is my priority? I've used it before which is why I'm drawn to it, but maybe I should try a different distribution if ubuntu is not significantly faster than windows?

If speed is your priority try the xfce (Xubuntu) or ldxe (Lubuntu) versions, both are less resource intensive desktop environments that will run faster than a full KDE/Gnome desktop on a slower system like that.

Destroyenator posted:

But the only upgrade we seem to see in ubuntu are switching apps around willy nilly and playing with the UI. F-Spot photo manager was replaced by Shotwell an upgrade or two ago with less features and no clean library upgrade, Rythmbox was replaced by Banshee and now is going back to Rythmbox. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it but changing fashions in the gnome community about asinine stuff like what language the apps are implemented in that the user doesn't see or care about.

That's probably my biggest complaint about Ubuntu, but I figure it's one of the negative traits of the OSS beast. I've considered rolling my own variant with the ubuntu customization kit because I like to use Chromium/claws-mail/Clementine rather than Firefox/Thunderbird/Rhythmbox but then i just install them from the software center and :effort:.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fuf posted:

Ubuntu 11 LXDE is retard-fast on this 'old' Dell Q6600

code:
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9550  @ 2.83GHz
MemTotal:        5541116 kB
Not exactly a low-end machine but Windows 7 seriously took 2-3 minutes to boot and was pretty slow. Granted it was a 2-year old install with a bunch of random poo poo on it. I basically have it as a backup Rails development station, and with gVim, Chrome, Firefox, MySQL Workbench and a bunch of terminal windows open (while running a Rails development setup) it's way faster than my i3 iMac with 8GB (4-6GB used with the same stuff open) and never goes over 1.5GB of RAM :iiam:

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 on my HP 2510p at home, and while 11 LXDE was a bit quicker it's really not too bad. That's a much lower-end machine, C2D 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, slower-than hell 1.8" HDD

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 7, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks guys.

I think I'll try regular 12.04 and if it's slow I'll switch to Lubuntu.

Just made the mistake of using the "windows installer" to install Lubuntu without realising I wouldn't have any options to set up partitions etc.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Xubuntu is there any way to tell Apport to send crash reports automatically? I get one every time I wake the computer from sleep (though nothing at all seems to be broken :confused:) and it's kind of annoying.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Destroyenator posted:

I just got the update message from USC about the 12.04 upgrade, and in the details list part of the 1.3GB (!?!?!) upgrade is that banshee is no longer supported. What is with Ubuntu constantly changing core apps and repackaging the same functionality instead of actually improving or fixing things?

For example, Microsoft wireless mice have a weird issue where the scroll speed is half a page per click and there isn't anything in the mouse settings dialog to alter it. A bit of googling show this is a common issue and the current accepted solution is to unplug and replug your mouse every time you boot. And this is an issue a few years old for a significant number of users.

When they say not supported they basically mean not installed by default. The user may or may not care about what language apps are written in but I doubt users particularly care if they're using a pirated copy of microsoft windows either (at least, none of the people I know who use pirate copies of windows seem to care). There are lots of other potential reasons for not having a particular program.

Mak0rz posted:

In Xubuntu is there any way to tell Apport to send crash reports automatically? I get one every time I wake the computer from sleep (though nothing at all seems to be broken :confused:) and it's kind of annoying.

What program is crashing? It should say in the crash report.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Case of the missing hard drive...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/133135/ubuntu-12-04-installer-not-detecting-extra-hdd

Not my post but it looks like a similar problem.

I have a Dell Precision T3400 that ran Ubuntu 11.10 just fine. I have a 750GB WD hard drive on /dev/sda and a 250GB WD hard drive on /dev/sdc, and a DVD drive on /dev/sdb

When I boot the 12.04 live cd, the 750GB doesn't show up in the Ubuntu installer as a target disk. But it shows up in dmesg.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Destroyenator posted:

I just got the update message from USC about the 12.04 upgrade, and in the details list part of the 1.3GB (!?!?!) upgrade is that banshee is no longer supported.
1.3 GB should hardly surprise you for replacing every package on the system if you've installed a moderate amount of software, it's basically two CDs worth.

quote:

What is with Ubuntu constantly changing core apps and repackaging the same functionality instead of actually improving or fixing things?
Part of the support process is determining which apps we are going to support in the default install for 5 years. Rhythmbox/Banshee in particular are important since they're in the default install, depended on by the ubuntu music store, and actually used frequently.

I wasn't part of the discussions about the default music player over the past couple cycles, but I do remember from the developer summits that they were discussed quite a lot. The decisions come down to things most people probably don't think about -- things like accessibility support (an essential feature that most people don't ever use), upstream's willingness to support the release (if they don't we have to, for five years). These are the kinds of things a release manager for a Linux distro has to worry about.

quote:

Yup, particular pieces of third-party hardware having bad drivers are a frequent problem. And if you keep using that hardware, from your perspective Ubuntu will always look sorta broken. But it's not like we don't care about finding these particular cases (and solutions to them): we've built an entire "Ubuntu-Friendly" hardware survey tool/database exactly to find this sort of low-hanging fruit that can be fixed (or at least to help users avoid buying things like a laptop that comes with a wireless card from a vendor who doesn't care if it works or not)

quote:

The small UI updates and default apps are probably the most noticeable change, but this LTS release really was about software quality. Software quality is a hard thing to notice, except when it isn't there -- it basically comes down to saying "well, fewer bugs were created, and many were fixed" which is a largely meaningless thing to say to users unless you know the particular bugs they were experiencing directly.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

:words:

Holy poo poo did you actually post this while you were in that meeting?:golfclap:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why doesn't the installer actually tell you why a disk isn't showing up?

http://superuser.com/questions/232850/why-doesnt-the-ubuntu-installer-see-all-of-my-hard-drives

quote:

Try to boot a live session and start a terminal session (or to switch to the console with CTRL-ALT-F1) and issue:

$ sudo os-prober
You'll probably see a probing error which could be the reason why your drive is not taken in consideration. It's quite likely that your second drive has leftovers of a RAID configuration, in this case it's sufficient to do:

$ sudo dmraid -rE
(-r = raid, -E remove metadata) and confirm the operation. Start the installer and you should see it.

:argh:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Actually this brings up a question that I'm sure is pretty dumb to long time users, but to a greenhorn like myself, seems pretty mysterious.

So I understand that 12.04LTS is designed to be as stable as possible. I also have read that I should wait till the first point release which I assume is 12.10 if I want to have what is essentially the first service pack.

Now, my question is will 12.04 get that same service pack and maintain it's .04 designation? I'm just a bit confused as to how updates/grades work. The PC I cobbled together for my mom is up and running on 11.10 right now and she is really digging Unity, but also posed essentially the same question since the update utility kept bugging her about updating.

As a side note, is there any way to easily disable this nanny? I don't want her to accidentally punch the wrong updater and have everything explode like Clamps in Futurama when someone says the wrong thing.

\/\/\/ The PC is currently running 11.10, friend. That's why it's bugging about updates. I'll be bringing it up to speed relatively soon :)

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 7, 2012

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Slopehead posted:

Actually this brings up a question that I'm sure is pretty dumb to long time users, but to a greenhorn like myself, seems pretty mysterious.

So I understand that 12.04LTS is designed to be as stable as possible. I also have read that I should wait till the first point release which I assume is 12.10 if I want to have what is essentially the first service pack.

Now, my question is will 12.04 get that same service pack and maintain it's .04 designation? I'm just a bit confused as to how updates/grades work. The PC I cobbled together for my mom is up and running on 11.10 right now and she is really digging Unity, but also posed essentially the same question since the update utility kept bugging her about updating.

As a side note, is there any way to easily disable this nanny? I don't want her to accidentally punch the wrong updater and have everything explode like Clamps in Futurama when someone says the wrong thing.

The point release is 12.04.x, 12.10 isnt a LTS release.

As an aside, I'd recommend reading the OP because although my linux of choice is debian, I was able to ascertain the fact I posted as well as the one that if you install a LTS release, by default it will only bug you for an upgrade in 2 years, for 14.04.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
It's best not to think of e.g. 12.04.1 as the equivalent of a Windows service pack -- 12.04 users don't suddenly get a huge update to install on the day 12.04.1 comes into existence.

As ShadowHawk mentioned, 12.04.x versions aren't "released", so much as they're "tagged": 12.04 is updated constantly and sometime around October the current state of 12.04 becomes 12.04.1. This new tagged version is made into CD images, so if you're installing Precise from scratch in half a year you can use the new install image and skip a bunch of updates right after installation. The new install media will also support new hardware because of newer kernel versions, and will contain the fixes for things like the Broadcom B43 wireless chipset bug. (I'm assuming that this is one of the things fixed in the 3.2.0-24 kernel, which was released almost immediately after 12.04.)

EDIT: Point is, waiting a few weeks is usually sufficient to avoid the early issues with a release like this. It probably isn't necessary to hold off until 12.04.1 unless the install CD doesn't boot or something along those lines. (Even in that case, you can probably use the alternate install disc, but I wouldn't blame you for wanting to wait.)

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 7, 2012

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

angrytech posted:

Holy poo poo did you actually post this while you were in that meeting?:golfclap:
Yeah, were you listening to me on the mic by chance? :D

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Slopehead posted:

\/\/\/ The PC is currently running 11.10, friend. That's why it's bugging about updates. I'll be bringing it up to speed relatively soon :)
Once you upgrade to 12.04 you can change this to only bother you about LTS updates by ticking the box in the update manager settings.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah, were you listening to me on the mic by chance? :D

Yeah I was. I caught that joke about WINE at the end that some dude made to you. ;)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

angrytech posted:

Yeah I was. I caught that joke about WINE at the end that some dude made to you. ;)
That might have been a videotaped session too, with me right in front of the camera posting.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShadowHawk posted:

That might have been a videotaped session too, with me right in front of the camera posting.

How is UDS this year? Is there a website for tapped/recorded sessions?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

How is UDS this year? Is there a website for tapped/recorded sessions?

Schedule: http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/
Streaming audio: http://icecast.ubuntu.com:8000/status.xsl

VVV poo poo, sorry. Let me know if you find them because I missed a few talks.

angrytech fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 8, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Those are all streams. I was wondering if there are recorded versions so I can watch sessions later on in the day.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Longinus00 posted:

Those are all streams. I was wondering if there are recorded versions so I can watch sessions later on in the day.
I think the recordings go up later (at least the video ones do, not 100% sure about the audio icecasts)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fuf posted:

Just made the mistake of using the "windows installer" to install Lubuntu without realising I wouldn't have any options to set up partitions etc.

The point of wubi is that you don't have to gently caress around with partitions and whatnot.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
The first 12.10 daily builds have been released (e.g. http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/). Time to upgrade; 12.04 is so two weeks ago :shepface:

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lysidas posted:

The first 12.10 daily builds have been released (e.g. http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/). Time to upgrade; 12.04 is so two weeks ago :shepface:

Ah, great. I try to run the alphas/betas in order to help test. The only time during the 12.04 alpha that I experienced any problem was when I forced an upgrade that update-manager wasn't ready to give me, and broke X11. Boot to a tty, 'apt-get -f install' and everything was fixed.
Also, that's the link for kubuntu, not standard ubuntu.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

angrytech posted:

Also, that's the link for kubuntu, not standard ubuntu.

kubuntu best *buntu

I experienced a few hiccups during the 12.04 development phase, which mostly came from my insistence on using aptitude when its multiarch support didn't work very well. There were a few flashplugin-installer updates that would make aptitude attempt to remove half of my system in order to resolve dependencies, and ShadowHawk was very helpful in saying "use apt-get or GUI package management tools".

I'm not actually going to upgrade until KDE 4.9 is released; at the moment the only appreciable differences between Precise and Quantal (from my perspective) are kernel 3.4 and Git 1.7.10. It's a very nice coincidence that KDE has also been doing 6-month release cycles for the last two years; every recent Kubuntu release has included a new KDE.

EDIT: Actually, ShadowHawk said "use apt-get to install Wine" -- the flashplugin-installer stuff usually worked itself out in a day or two. It seems that the software repositories for development versions of Ubuntu aren't always internally consistent (which makes perfect sense), so you may get unlucky with some updates that will obviously break your system. "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = "wait a few days and try to aptitude full-upgrade again".

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 10, 2012

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lysidas posted:

kubuntu best *buntu

I experienced a few hiccups during the 12.04 development phase, which mostly came from my insistence on using aptitude when its multiarch support didn't work very well. There were a few flashplugin-installer updates that would make aptitude attempt to remove half of my system in order to resolve dependencies, and ShadowHawk was very helpful in saying "use apt-get or GUI package management tools".

I'm not actually going to upgrade until KDE 4.9 is released; at the moment the only appreciable differences between Precise and Quantal (from my perspective) are kernel 3.4 and Git 1.7.10. It's a very nice coincidence that KDE has also been doing 6-month release cycles for the last two years; every recent Kubuntu release has included a new KDE.

EDIT: Actually, ShadowHawk said "use apt-get to install Wine" -- the flashplugin-installer stuff usually worked itself out in a day or two. It seems that the software repositories for development versions of Ubuntu aren't always internally consistent (which makes perfect sense), so you may get unlucky with some updates that will obviously break your system. "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = "wait a few days and try to aptitude full-upgrade again".

Actually, "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = Use update-manager because it will keep you from doing stupid poo poo as easily. ;)
I'm a sucker for the newest cool poo poo, so I like running the alpha/betas, especially for the new kernels.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Lysidas posted:

It seems that the software repositories for development versions of Ubuntu aren't always internally consistent (which makes perfect sense), so you may get unlucky with some updates that will obviously break your system. "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = "wait a few days and try to aptitude full-upgrade again".
Relatedly the plan to fix this in the Quantal cycle is to use the -proposed repository as a staging area even during the development release. This is what you get if you tick the box for enable proposed/experimental updates in update manager's settings, and in the past only meant you got proposed stable release updates before they had been tested enough.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

niss posted:

Trying to assign a keyboard combo for launching Synapse, no matter what key combo I try I get this error. "Failed to register hotkey 'activate' with signature 'key combo'

I've looked through the keyboard shortcuts and I am not attempting to set anything that is already in use. Alt-2 which is the same key combo that I have used for the last two release cycles.

Any ideas.

Quoting myself since its been a few pages.. Fixed my issue, had to install the Compiz Settings Manager, and go into the Unity Config section and disable one or two key commands. Now Synapse works great..

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Tried going up to 12.04 yesterday, and some of the UI elements don't seem to have installed properly. None of my windows have title bars on them, for instance. Is there an easy way to make Ubuntu reinstall its own core packages, even if it thinks they're not broken?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

BrainWeasel posted:

Tried going up to 12.04 yesterday, and some of the UI elements don't seem to have installed properly. None of my windows have title bars on them, for instance. Is there an easy way to make Ubuntu reinstall its own core packages, even if it thinks they're not broken?
If you have the ubuntu-desktop package installed, this is likely a user config thing instead of a package thing. Try the guest account briefly and see if the problem is replicated there.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey so I was asked if there is a super easy way to install the Spotify program. It's not in the Repository and while I've been told that "learning new operating systems is fun", command line isn't the forte of said user or myself. Perhaps a video how to guide would assuage the greenhorn fears?

Still on 11.10. Other than this query, feedback on this old system have been very positive. Solarium and the ASL tutor programs have been very "fun".

Keep in mind this is the same lady who jailbroke her IOS5 phone because it was more convenient than getting her works IT department to do it.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Slopehead posted:

Hey so I was asked if there is a super easy way to install the Spotify program. It's not in the Repository and while I've been told that "learning new operating systems is fun", command line isn't the forte of said user or myself. Perhaps a video how to guide would assuage the greenhorn fears?

Still on 11.10. Other than this query, feedback on this old system have been very positive. Solarium and the ASL tutor programs have been very "fun".

Keep in mind this is the same lady who jailbroke her IOS5 phone because it was more convenient than getting her works IT department to do it.

I googled it and this was the first result http://www.spotify.com/us/download/previews/. Steps 2-4 are commands you run. Do you have any specific questions?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
That's for Android and not Ubuntu 11.10. That'd...that'd be a big problem right there.

Edit: Oh I see further down. I guess I'll give that a whirl.

quote:

# editing your /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free

-deb or -ubu?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 12, 2012

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Slopehead posted:

That's for Android and not Ubuntu 11.10. That'd...that'd be a big problem right there.

Edit: Oh I see further down. I guess I'll give that a whirl.

-deb or -ubu?

it's still deb

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay super, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the duh in your face answer. I/we are still extremely new at this.

I assume Sudo is the default terminal emulator in Ubuntu? I'd check but the computer isn't in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Slopehead posted:

Okay super, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the duh in your face answer. I/we are still extremely new at this.

I assume Sudo is the default terminal emulator in Ubuntu? I'd check but the computer isn't in front of me.

No, you paste those commands into the terminal emulator and it asks you for your password the first time. sudo will execute the following command as the administrative account. Also this is all assuming that you have administrator access, type "groups" at the command prompt and it should respond with a line containing "sudo" somewhere.

• Locked thread