Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
So I'm teaching myself how to use linux using Ubuntu, and I was just browsing through the free and open thread in GBS when this was posted regarding linux:

Jailbrekr posted:

And please, for the love of Pete, run it in a VM with snapshotting enabled if you are just starting to learn. Until you have a basic grab of how linux patching and security works you run the very real risk of it becoming someones ssh/http proxy.

Is this something to really worry about? Are there any settings I should adjust in order to protect myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

The only network-related changes I've done is open up port 64738 for murmur, and I've got that forwarded via my lovely home router(Netgear WNR2000v2). I've been browsing this thread on and off, too.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I decided to make the jump to 12.04 and it runs much smoother than 11 did, but QuickSynergy keeps dropping connection for me and unfortunately that's pretty much a deal breaker for me :(

Any idea what might be causing this?

EDIT: Ubuntu is running as a client, and it seems to be happening whenever I try and use a hotkey in the Ubuntu system, i.e. ctrl+L or Alt+Tab, etc...

EDIT 2: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synergy/+bug/926198

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 1, 2012

• Locked thread