Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Fangs404 posted:

I've got 10.04 LTS running on my Linode. Looking at the instructions for upgrading to 12.04 LTS, why do they recommend you wait until the first point release? Just so bugs can get ironed out?

Same reason they people say not to upgrade to a new windows version until the first service pack comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Merkinman posted:

Burnt previous versions to try and recover, but they wouldn't boot due to my video card (GTX 550 Ti). Removed video card installed Ubuntu from scratch and now I only get video if my card is unplugged and I use onboard video. So far this has been my worst experience in 5 YEARS with Ubuntu.

EDIT: BUG IN THE ENTIRE KERNEL?
So does this mean my video card is worthless until 12.10 comes out???

Use the nomodeset kernel option to boot in and install the proprietary nvidia driver.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Powered Descent posted:

The only real difference there is the default desktop environment, so you'll get pretty much the same assortment of installed programs. The intent with Ubuntu (and its various sub-versions) is to give you a relatively complete system right out of the box, so you don't have to go chase down a media player or office suite or whatever.

If you'd prefer to start with a cleaner slate and/or have more choices at install time, straight-up Debian might be more to your taste.

You can also work you way up from an ubuntu-minimal install by skipping metapacakges like ubuntu-desktop. You probably don't want to go this route if you're "pretty new at Linux".

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Ughhhhhh.

I'm trying to build Android source so I installed Ubuntu 12.04. Found out that there are issues with that so I installed 11.10. Finally finished setting everything up and downloading the files only to get an error about being on a 32-bit processor. I knew that it required 64-bit but somehow forgot to make sure I had downloaded a 64-bit version.

So now I'm looking around for a 64-bit version but I can only seem to find it for AMD processors. Is there a 64-bit version of 11.10 for i386?

You are mixing up a whole lot of terms here. What processor/computer are you trying to install onto? The last mainstream intel processors to not support x64 were core duos I think and those are on the order of 8 years old now.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Third Man posted:

So I'm teaching myself how to use linux using Ubuntu, and I was just browsing through the free and open thread in GBS when this was posted regarding linux:

Is this something to really worry about? Are there any settings I should adjust in order to protect myself?

I think it's more along the lines that newbies are more likely to just randomly run/install poo poo they find posted online.

One classic is
code:
:(){:|:&};:
fork bomb

Something like this is probably more appropriate.

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2007/Aug/71

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 30, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Heid the Ball posted:

Installed Pangolin on friday night. Now I have the following issues:

1) Random logouts where it dumps me back to the Ubuntu login screen, losing any open work as it does so.

2) No power button in top right. (hard button still brings up shut down dialog)

3) No volume button in top right.

4) No apps listed in dash. unless its already in the dock, I can't get to it. This includes Terminal. Unable to install anything from the ubuntu app store as the permission dialog appears and disappears instantly.

5) Flash is super crashy in firefox, but can't install any variations, as above.

6) Video played through the video player is blue tinted.

I presume a lot of this could be down to my nVidia card, going by discussions in here. How can I fix this, without access to the terminal? CTRL-ALT-F5 just gives me a dead screen. Tried to fix using dpkg in the boot menu, but to no avail. I get some info about out of date for unity lens???

Otherwise 12.04 has been just PEACHY.

How much did you change in your install vs. the default? Some of the stuff is due to nvidia bugs (that blue tinting) but other stuff just sounds like your install is missing a bunch of stuff.

Mark Kidd posted:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but after you ran apt-get update did you also run apt-get upgrade?

How about just installing the ubuntu-desktop package?

I ran into some issues myself updating from Xubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 that may have been related to metapackages, but I was eventually able to push through the trouble with apt-get over ssh. Wish I could say for sure that is the same kind of issue you're running into, but it may not be related.

How did you lose your xubuntu-desktop metapackage? Did you uninstall some default programs and not catch it getting removed?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mark Kidd posted:

Not sure how it happened, except that X started crashing after apt-get dist upgrade and reboot. Even though I use this as a headless personal server, I've got a desktop distro installed because tell myself I need a graphical environment to remote into as a fallback(training wheels, by any other name).

Pretty sure I didn't uninstall any default software.

In the end, there are some still some screwy things going on with the server (some feel like permissions, but Samba performance took a nosedive as well) so I will flatten and reinstall once I get the time. Disappointing, but not too surprising from a desktop *buntu being upgraded, in my limited experience.

I've upgraded many times and never had any issues that were due to the upgrade itself. I've even survived an upgrade that got interrupted by a reboot midway through, I was able to continue the upgrade after the system restarted.

If you're up for it you can trawl the various /var/log/apt/history.log files for when you lost your xubuntu-desktop. Something like
code:
zgrep -in "Remove.*xubuntu-desktop" history.log*
will work. If that doesn't find anything get rid of the "Remove.*" part and try again.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Xenomorph posted:

Boot rant

Originally hiding the boot messages was handled by usplash but with the development of KMS a replacement/reworking was necessary. Redhat guys code up plymouth (with some really snazzy demos) while canonical decides that it'll do it's own thing with xsplash so they can start the X server faster. Turns out maintaining your own boot splash thing is not something canonical wanted to devote manpower towards so after a single release they switch over to redhat's plymouth. Any current bugs in plymouth's on ubuntu is probably due to a lack of kernel/plymouth hacker time.

Powered Descent posted:

Question for ShadowHawk (or anyone else who might know): why were screensavers completely removed from Unity? I'd always thought it was really weird that the guy in charge of gnome-screensaver absolutely refused to let you access any settings, but removing the entire thing seems even stranger.

I know it's pretty straightforward to put in xscreensaver and get back your bouncing cow, but I can't figure out why it isn't there in the first place. Is it part of the process to get Ubuntu ready for tablets?

Screensavers were removed from gnome3 and canonical doesn't have the engineering capacity to fit that back in. This explains a lot about their gnome3 transition really.

Heid the Ball posted:

Well, that lasted a long time. Now getting same error reports and random crashes. gently caress THAT NOISE.

Mint here we come.

Mint is just ubuntu with a different package on top so you'll want to avoid 12.04s kernel/x server stack in mint.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shazzner posted:

I stopped trying to upgrade Ubuntu 4 years ago, new release means fresh install and adding my NAS to fstab.

One question I did have, is there any way to get Ctrl+Alt+F2, kill x and drop to terminal, back? I've had a few fullscreen games freeze on me and I couldn't get back.

Also ShadowHawk, can you get this wine bug fixed already?:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20395

The Ctrl+Alt+Fx keyboard commands still work. If you crash and those stop working then try sysreq magic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I'm not sure how ShadowHawk is going to help you fix that wine bug unless he's also a wine contributer.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

AlexDeGruven posted:

I just think someone had their head way up their rear end when they put that together. In no way should the mail reader be so critically linked to the desktop.

I know dynamic linking and shared libraries are great things to have, but I wonder if things tend to take it too far.

The default mail client in xubuntu is thunderbird so there's no library sharing going on. What actually happened is thus: xubuntu-desktop metapacakge recommends thunderbird, removing thunderbird makes USC think that xubuntu-desktop should also be removed because you just broke a recommends and since xubuntu-desktop is being removed all its dependencies which aren't required elsewhere will also be flagged for removal. Can you break a recommends dependency without removing the higher level package? Yes! (although I have no idea of how to do that in USC)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Pookster posted:

Is there any (working) way to change fan speed on an nVidia graphics card? In 11.10 I used nvclock without and problem but in 12.04 it just segfaults.

You need to give more information than that. Things such as are you using the proprietary drivers?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Destroyenator posted:

I just got the update message from USC about the 12.04 upgrade, and in the details list part of the 1.3GB (!?!?!) upgrade is that banshee is no longer supported. What is with Ubuntu constantly changing core apps and repackaging the same functionality instead of actually improving or fixing things?

For example, Microsoft wireless mice have a weird issue where the scroll speed is half a page per click and there isn't anything in the mouse settings dialog to alter it. A bit of googling show this is a common issue and the current accepted solution is to unplug and replug your mouse every time you boot. And this is an issue a few years old for a significant number of users.

But the only upgrade we seem to see in ubuntu are switching apps around willy nilly and playing with the UI. F-Spot photo manager was replaced by Shotwell an upgrade or two ago with less features and no clean library upgrade, Rythmbox was replaced by Banshee and now is going back to Rythmbox. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it but changing fashions in the gnome community about asinine stuff like what language the apps are implemented in that the user doesn't see or care about.

When they say not supported they basically mean not installed by default. The user may or may not care about what language apps are written in but I doubt users particularly care if they're using a pirated copy of microsoft windows either (at least, none of the people I know who use pirate copies of windows seem to care). There are lots of other potential reasons for not having a particular program.

Mak0rz posted:

In Xubuntu is there any way to tell Apport to send crash reports automatically? I get one every time I wake the computer from sleep (though nothing at all seems to be broken :confused:) and it's kind of annoying.

What program is crashing? It should say in the crash report.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShadowHawk posted:

That might have been a videotaped session too, with me right in front of the camera posting.

How is UDS this year? Is there a website for tapped/recorded sessions?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Those are all streams. I was wondering if there are recorded versions so I can watch sessions later on in the day.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Slopehead posted:

Okay super, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the duh in your face answer. I/we are still extremely new at this.

I assume Sudo is the default terminal emulator in Ubuntu? I'd check but the computer isn't in front of me.

You don't need to mess around in the terminal to add repositories to ubuntu, in fact I recommend you don't. This page lists multiple ways to add repositories to ubuntu. Use the Ubuntu Software Center method if you're using the standard ubuntu install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Triikan posted:

I just did a fresh install of 12.04 Lubuntu, and any time I create a non-NTFS partition I'm unable to create or move files on it, unless I do it through sudo commands. What setting am I missing here?

EDIT: I can also use with "Open as root", but that doesn't seem like the correct solution.

You're missing that the owner of the directory is root and nobody else has write permissions.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Craptacular! posted:

Nope. Developing on Linux is great, I miss when id used to be somewhat expedient about it. It's not really so much Canonical's fault as much as it is the reality of package-based software, I guess. I don't want to go back to the days of "download source and compile" certainly, but the way they're distributing it isn't the most even handed?

I don't quite know how to express myself, except to say go on a Debian forum and suggest somebody use a Launchpad PPA for practically anything and watch the "DON'T USE UBUNTU BINARIES YOU WILL DIE IN DEPENDENCY HELL AND VIRGINS WILL BE SACRIFICED" reaction. This is especially common in Wine, where people use the WineHQ PPA intended for Ubuntu to get unstable versions (though since Sid now keeps this up to date, you can pin to that and it's less of a problem).

What is that supposed to mean? PPAs are built with ubuntu dependencies and depending on which version of debian you're running (including whatever libraries you've pulled from later versions) you can run into conflicts. This is no different from trying to run stuff packaged for fedora 17 in red hat 3.

Craptacular! posted:

Another example is a lot of quality community-built software distribute via a Launchpad PPA that asks you if you're using anything between Karmic and Quixotic but doesn't consider anything else. I just use those repos anyway, because what are the odds a simple Twitter client or what have you will have a dependency breakdown?

I don't understand this. Are you running something older than karmic?

Craptacular! posted:

If Steam came in, and eventually supports multiple distros, and allows people to buy and download and auto-update games, which are usually among the most complicated software, without having to mess about with repositories and dependencies and whatnot? That'd be great.

Steam is effectively it's own repository/package manager. I imagine they'll work around dependencies by doing a lot of static linking.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

keyvin posted:

My parents have a weird graphics glitch after I upgraded their PC to 12.04. All of the text gets garbled, on the unity menus, in firefox, the terminal, everywhere yet graphics are fine. They say it happens after they switch users. Logging out and logging back in fixes the issue. Try as hard as I might (switching users dozens of times) I can't reproduce the bug. Since I can't reproduce it, does this mean I probably shouldn't bother reporting it even though I have screenshots?

Is your hardware the same as theirs? Specifically the graphics card and drivers?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

madsushi posted:

My 12.04->12.10 (server) experience:

Server 1: Pretty much just BIND, running on VMWare

Update went smooth (do-release-upgrade -d), only issue was that the virtual NIC didn't show up after the first reboot. Rebooted again and it showed up, everything was fine.

Server 2: LAMP / Mail (Postfix/Dovecot) / LNMP (nginx) / murmur / BIND, all on a Linode

Issues:
  • Postfix changed their TLS/SSL string in main.cf:

• Apache was upset about some missing folders in my /sites-available/default file, previously just warned about these, but post-update wouldn't actually start until I fixed the paths

• nginx wouldn't start due to config issues. Of course it had reverted back to the non-SPDY version (1.2.x) rather than the newer version I had installed from source (1.3.x). Had to uninstall it with apt-get and reinstall it from source. (http://nginx.org/patches/spdy/README.txt)
If you had installed 1.3 as a package you wouldn't have this issue. If you're going to directly install from source then just uninstall the package and install the dependencies manually.

madsushi posted:

• My murmur/mumble server is now giving cert warnings when people connect, even though the cert is valid and I left the config alone. :iiam:

Edit: Figured out the murmur/mumble issue, I guess the new version of Qt and/or OpenSSL wants to intermediate cert(s) for StartSSL. Put these two files into one file (single line between the cert blocks) and used the "sslCa" parameter in mumble-server.ini to handle it.

http://www.startssl.com/certs/ca.pem
    http://www.startssl.com/certs/sub.class1.server.ca.pem

• In general I don't really see the point in updating server releases unless you absolutely need some features offered in new versions of software (and the application doesn't offer prepackaged debs or you're too lazy to roll your own) or the release is nearing its end of life.

fourwood posted:

Turns out resolv.conf needs to point nameserver to 127.0.1.1, not 127.0.0.1 like it was. :confused:

It usually pays to read the release notes.

quote:

In order to improve compatibility with other local nameserver packages, NetworkManager now assigns IP address 127.0.1.1 to the local nameserver process that it controls instead of 127.0.0.1. If the system's /etc/resolv.conf is absent or is a static file instead of the symbolic link to ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf installed by default then this static file will have to be updated by the administrator in order to continue using the NetworkManager-controlled nameserver.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

madsushi posted:

I wanted SPDY support, which is not included in 1.3.x (and the default Ubuntu nginx package is 1.2.x anyway), but rather has to be patched in manually from source. I wasn't complaining about the problem, just sharing that note with anyone else using nginx/SPDY that might be upgrading.

It's only a problem if they are doing something behind the package managers back. You could use your experience as an inspiration to learn how to make deb packages from source via one of the myriad of tools available (e.g. debuild, pbuilder, sbuild).

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

madsushi posted:

Which is something that happens quite commonly, believe it or not. My post was a reminder: "If you built nginx from source to mess around with SPDY, it might not work after you update to 12.10." I appreciate the information on how it "should" be done; I was offering advice on how I've actually seen it done.

Who installs a package and then proceeds to install something else on top of it? Where have you seen this recommended? If you wanted to keep the package version and source version around at the same time why didn't you install into /usr/local? Why don't you simply uninstall the package version and just keep the source version (or better yet roll your own package)? You do know that any security update to nginx will break your setup again right?

ShadowHawk

Do you know what the release schedule for this is? Is it going to wait for 12.04.2? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Release/Rolling

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

ratbert90 posted:

At least 12.10 has svn 7.5. gently caress you Canonical for releasing a LTS WITHOUT SVN7.5 gently caress.

Didn't 1.7.5 come out after 12.04?

Xenomorph posted:

The samba4 installer is busted on 12.04. This are no less than 611 "duplicate" bug reports on Ubuntu's bug-tracker page from so many people reporting this.
    I was trying to test samba4 and ran into the error. After googling it I discovered a *lot* of people had the error.

Someone said it will be fixed in 12.10+ (obviously not LTS) and not 12.04, so all of us LTS users can go gently caress ourselves.

For testing Desktop use, 12.10 shipped with some busted version of "xserver-xorg-core" that causes havoc in some configurations (launchpad# 1041063 has an example of this) and has prevented me from using it much.

I've not been too happy with 12.04 or 12.10. :holy:

Isn't samba4 not even out of testing? It might not even have been in beta when 12.04 came out. If you really want to test then do yourself a favor are run the latest version directly from upstream. It seems like most of those bug reports were from people who were told to install samba4 via command-not-found instead of something sane like samba.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

Xenomorph posted:

I understand samba4 still is in *early* testing - but it's just weird how broken the installer is.
    I won't claim that samba4 even works on any other platform, but at least it didn't give screens full of confusing errors just by using one apt-get command.

Yea having a broken installer is kinda stupid. I kind of wonder why the package exists at all.

ratbert90 posted:

Possibly, however it isn't implemented in 12.04, which is what I needed for work, because surprise! The svn server is 1.7.

I'm not entirely sure what your complaint is at this point but this might help?

https://launchpad.net/~svn/+archive/ppa

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

The Merkinman posted:

Will Nouveau be updated over the course of 12.10, or will I have to wait for 13.04? It's pretty glitchy with titles and icons and I tried playing Black Mesa source and saw purple/black grids on (transparent?) surfaces and a big white diagonal line across the enter screen.

Short answer, no.

In general nouveau is much younger and not as fast (or stable?) as either amd or intel's open source driver offerings and is insufficient for running any intensive 3d applications. Still, it's very good for being reverse engineered without any direct help from nvidia.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

syzygy86 posted:

Right, Chromium used the system Flash version. I just installed Chrome and Amazon throws a different error:

It then links to a FAQ entry that says this:

This bums me out, I really liked that Amazon Prime always worked in Linux, unlike Netflix. Well, at least I still have a virtual machine with Windows.

As an aside, the Chrome .deb causes the software center to throw a warning of "This package is of bad quality". In particular:
    E: google-chrome-stable: file-in-etc-not-marked-as-conffile etc/cron.daily/google-chrome

I assume this is harmless, but what are the implications of the cron script not being marked as a conf file?

If you're desperate you can install xbmc and hunt down the Amazon plugin. It should allow you to watch without flash.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

kimbo305 posted:

Canonical's bold new vision.

Technically this is gnome3's fault isn't it?

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

Bob Morales posted:

Ubuntu, actually Unity. drives me nuts. Here's my object of rage right now:

All I have open is Hacker News which is a pretty drat basic website. But my Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz sits there IDLING at 25% CPU usage for both cores. Seriously? (the upticks in the graph are due to the screenshot program I used).

Bonus points if you can see how the Firefox window and System Monitor window aren't layered or composited or whatever right, Bug in either Unity or the ATI/AMD FGLRX drivers I guess.

:argh:

If you use top you can actually see what is causing your high cpu usage instead of just wildly guessing.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

Lysidas posted:

You can then wipe the important parts of each drive (bootloader, partition table, etc.) with dd. 64MB is more than enough to have the drive appear blank:

code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=64

Do that for each disk you want to wipe. You may want to reboot before retrying the Ubuntu installer.

Instead of doing that, please consider using wipefs.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/wipefs.8.html

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

keyvin posted:

Tried to upgrade a 13.10 xubuntu install to 14.04 today. It was on an acer c720. Due to the tiny ssd there is no swapfile. The updater complained about disk space so I cleared out 3gb or so. Halfway through the upgrade it starts throwing memory allocation errors. You would think 2gb was enough but nope. The updater started trying to revert before it threw a final allocation error and crashed. Welp, totally hosed install. I wound up torrenting the 14.04 xubuntu image, backing up home to an external drive, and doing a format and reinstall.

Is there a memory minimum to do an in place upgrade or was this a bug? I checked available memory when it started throwing up allocation errors and I still had 200mb of free memory, but that doesn't mean it wasn't trying to allocate 50mb contiguously or something.

I upgraded a lubuntu install on a computer with 256 mb of ram but it did have a swapfile.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

Roundboy posted:

Ok, then I am just reading the wrong value. Good to know. Back to the original isue though, should I really see 1-10GB a day in trim space ?

You said that your server does 24x7 torrenting, transcoding, etc. so maybe? It all depends on your workload.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

wargames posted:

Quick question is there anyway that I can run this command in the newest version of ubuntu? It keep saying that zlib isn't an acceptable command.

code:
    dd if=mybackup.ab bs=24 skip=1|openssl zlib -d > mybackup.tar

You might want to check out "man openssl" to learn how to use it correctly. What are you trying to do/what do you think that code does?

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

wargames posted:

I am trying to do this, namely the inflating the backup part.
    http://java.dzone.com/articles/android-email-extraction-eml

edit
    The answer is you can't, can only do it in an older version of ubuntu like 12.04.

Is something wrong with gzip?

• Locked thread