Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Heid the Ball posted:

12.04 has been just PEACHY.

Can you can use the run dialog to execute gksudo apt-get install ubuntu-dekstop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Heid the Ball posted:

Just run apt-get update which did some stuff. No improvement.

Libatk-adaptor-schemas 2.4.0-1ubuntu2 seems to be causing the problem now.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but after you ran apt-get update did you also run apt-get upgrade?

How about just installing the ubuntu-desktop package?

I ran into some issues myself updating from Xubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 that may have been related to metapackages, but I was eventually able to push through the trouble with apt-get over ssh. Wish I could say for sure that is the same kind of issue you're running into, but it may not be related.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

How did you lose your xubuntu-desktop metapackage? Did you uninstall some default programs and not catch it getting removed?

Not sure how it happened, except that X started crashing after apt-get dist upgrade and reboot. Even though I use this as a headless personal server, I've got a desktop distro installed because tell myself I need a graphical environment to remote into as a fallback(training wheels, by any other name).

Pretty sure I didn't uninstall any default software.

In the end, there are some still some screwy things going on with the server (some feel like permissions, but Samba performance took a nosedive as well) so I will flatten and reinstall once I get the time. Disappointing, but not too surprising from a desktop *buntu being upgraded, in my limited experience.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
I keep meaning to check out Pinta, but I haven't had the chance to yet.

There is also Paint-Mono - maybe not ready for prime time yet though?

• Locked thread