Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.
Would you consider donating to my project? I know it's a modest goal but I want to
Bring Flotilla to Every Bookstore on the Planet

That's right, ladies - my science fiction novel of pirates, world meltdowns and guns is coming to a bookstore near you BECAUSE I WILL BE IN EVERY BOOKSTORE ON THE PLANET.

Goons hold a special place in my heart since you provided a tremendous amount of feedback on everything about my book - and you delivered it complete with ballsack kicking. I'm a masochist, so I'm doing it again by telling you that MY NOVEL WILL BE IN EVERY BOOK STORE ON THE PLANET.

Edit - I am a retard - here is the link to the project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743646288/promote-flotilla-launch-the-sequel?ref=card

This is how much I fail:

OppositeOfLove has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Chunk posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Is that actually your kickstarter? You're not seriously asking for $50 a copy, right?

$50 for a signed copy - I can't offer that on Amazon. Apologies if I sound like a tremendous douche - I'm doing this by myself and I was going around with what I could offer ... that's what I came up with. My research on other Book KS' revealed similar offerings so it seemed to make sense. What should I offer instead?

As for fighting Lowtax - I can never fight He Who My Power Springs From.

Occupation posted:

Fifty dollars a copy? 500 bucks to talk to you on a webcam, with no actual book as a reward? You can pay to be a main character in your next book?

Is this some sort of loving joke? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

$500 for an Author appearance, which includes 5 signed copies. Was that not clear? Here it is again:

quote:

Internet Author Event - pledge $500 and I'll set up a webcam author event to talk about what a great person you are, Flotilla and why crowd-sourced funding of creative projects is the way to go for artists. Includes 5 copies of Flotilla signed as giveaways for the audience.

Again - sorry if I sound like a tremendous douche - I'm a lone guy, promoting this by myself and this is the idea I came up with. No harm, foul or skullduggery intended.

OppositeOfLove has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jun 15, 2012

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Occupation posted:

Why can't you offer an eBook copy for like...oh...ten dollars? Even ten bucks would be a little high there.

Why are your tiers all loving weird? It goes 50-500-1000-10,000. There should be a bunch (and I mean a ton) of lower-end rewards (like a 10, 20/25, 75, and 100 dollar reward).

The fact that you're literally offering to have somebody with enough money written into your book does not inspire confidence that you have a handle on or actually care about the creative value of your work.

Basically your pitch is hosed up from top-to-bottom, especially the fact that a backer has to pay fifty loving dollars just for a copy of your poo poo.

I do offer a book for ten dollars - on Amazon. Not sure what else to tell you man except for the part that I'm trying to get money to hire a professional PR firm as I stated and I can't afford to give the book away if I want to be able to pay them. After looking at PBS and their $90 tote bag, I wanted to give something that you couldn't buy on Amazon but also helped move the project forward.

Again - I don't care if you can only kick in a buck - I'll still mention you in the Special Thanks section of my novel. So anyone can get rewarded, regardless of what they want to give.

The fact that I'm offering to name one of my characters isn't meant to detract from the value of the work - I did it because Stephen King auctioned off names in The Cell and it sounded like a neat thing to offer people ... the print version of 'buying a brick' that I see so many other people do, if you will. Incidentally, I think someone paid King over $25K for privilege. I'm not trying to fleece people.

I'll revise the pitch as you suggest - as I said, my goal is to get my work out there and not sound like a douche bag. I'm sorry if I failed in that regard.

OppositeOfLove has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jun 15, 2012

• Locked thread