Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Saint Darwin posted:

:cripes:

Kickstarter is a donation site. You donate money to ideas and causes, you don't prepurchase a product. The site acting like it exists as a means of preordering products is apparently ruining the attitude towards projects on the site.

"Pfft why would I want to donate, I don't even get a t-shirt"

The OGRE kickstarter and the Pebble kickstarter are by and far excellent because they keep piling more and more features in, but if they do anything but cram a new feature into the product at a donation level, people are flipping out. It's basically gravy that they decide to add these extras at donation levels, and they're added as an incentive for more donations. It's not your right to get more counters in OGRE if people donate more.

It's not about whatever crap gifts that come with the project you're donating to, it's the fact that he set an incentive (for which people will give him money) based on him starting up a new project (for which people will give him more money).

You're fundraising so he can start another fundraiser :psyduck: If people want to donate, then they should donate, even if there's not an arbitrary "cap" to reach, but don't pretend that 100k will make or break your next plea for money on Kickstarter. That's disingenuous.

Anyways, so this isn't totally derailing, here's a goon run Kickstarter: Manos: The Restoration. It's a really cool project that started in Cinema Discusso if I'm not mistaken (or maybe it was The Film Dump?). Anyways, this guy found a bunch of old reel-to-reel film canisters and stumbled across a print of Manos, and now he's campaigning to get it released on Blu Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread