Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Someone is in the process of selling an epic Boedker collection, but his prices are too much for me. But it is pretty nasty, all 4 colors of the Certified autos, all different kinds (including 1/1 rookie) from The Cup.

Ask him to sell it off eBay for 90% of the stated cost. You'll pay less, but they'll get more in the long run by not having to pay fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

Today I learned, Panini Donruss Elite is terrible.

darkwolf220 posted:

Holy gently caress Elite sucks rear end. Even without the missing case hit, it was terrible. Also, Ashe, you got a better card from your 1 pack than I got in 12 boxes worth hahahaha:suicide:

Do not expect this product in any of my breaks. Contenders better be loving good. Elite is Zenith levels of terrible.

What happened?

I was out all day, and saw none of it opened.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

For example, Darkwolf didn't get a single real Phoenix hit. At all. He got two pararells and that's it.

Where did Darkwolf break everything?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

^^ I didn't break, this was just someone else's we jumped in on. I got the Yotes and Caps. Got 2 die cut yotes parallels, 1 caps die cut parallel and a couple OV elite series inserts. Not bad for $115 :stare:

Terrible coalation, i think 1 case was 3 or 4 Denis Savard autos. 1 patch for the case, 1 dual auto (Howard/Maccullum redemption) Gobs of random parallel die cuts and inserts. Oh, and a patch-sized spacer card with a patch window cut in it. Going to be talking to panini about that.

It was just a bad set. They treat the single-jersey prime numbers piece as a every other box level hit. The set really is worse than Certified and CR, at $30-40 more a box.

Wow, that is terrible. Looks like I'll be blowing this stuff out, all summer long...

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Remember Pinnacle last year? $100/box Pinnacle.... This is almost as bad at the cost.

Zenith is really the only set I can think of that is decidedly worse than this, and at least that had interesting inserts and jumbo cards.

Pinnacle last year actually was popular, once the price went down. Patches and stuff move things along (and having Datsyuk on the packs helped some).

Elite looked like it could be a dud, and those suspicions were right.

Also, congratulations to Panini and Upper Deck for delaying all their hockey products back so far that Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and all the Canadian teams were already done for the year. Way to drive those sales, you guys.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Does anyone here want the following:

10-11 Ultimate Autographed Rookie - Alexander Burmistrov
10-11 Luxury Suite auto-patch RC - Oliver Ekman-Larsson

11-12 Crown Royale auto RC - Mark Schiefele

I've got a lot of things from almost every team, and would love to move some of thise stuff along.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

Yes, very much so. Anything in particular you look for as a trade?

Surmy posted:

What kind of price/what are you looking for in trade?

I'm looking for $15 on the OEK and $20 on the Burmistrov, plus $2 for shipping.

Right now, I'm mainly just looking to sell, as I'm saving up for sets to come out, with the only rookies I'm chasing in later releases (Carl Hagelin, Gustav Nyquist).

Let me know, so I can put them up elsewhere. I'll also find more stuff to sell/trade later on.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 3, 2012

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

lloyol posted:

What were you thinking on this one?

$20 plus shipping.Rutkowski, I do have your address, do you have my Paypal address?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

Didint go by the card shop. Hopefully this week I will.

Also, I need to debate how much to set aside to bring to the expo. I don't want to go broke, but I do want to buy some fun stuff.

Go the first day, and last day.

On the first day, you can quickly sweep around for all the best deals, and all the things you're specifically looking for. On the last day, you can get things super cheap since lots of guys would rather sell something for cheap than have to drag it home.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

lloyol posted:

Well, I had no luck on my auctions, so if you're still unloading a Scheifele RC, let me know, and any site that you own that has your inventory for a possible bundle of Jets stuff.

I'm still trying to move that Crown Royale, and my major list is coming up another day. Today was too busy. Email me at gordie dot fall at gmail dot com to arrange shipping.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

Anyone got a checklist for this by chance?

No one has a checklist for this anywhere, because UD is incompetent.

Also, don't buy loose packs of SPX! Because UD is incompetent.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Gunjin posted:

What up with loose packs, is there a way to reliably pick out the hits from SPX?

Sucks about your lack of Capitals hits, seems they manage to dissapoint fans and nonfans alike.

Upper Deck, in their infinite wisdom, has apparently placed all the hits directly on top of the box.

Also, one guy pulled a Finite Miele card from a box, in case anyone wants it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

How much?

It'll probably be a couple bucks. $3 shipped.

Gunjin posted:

You're making GBS threads me, that's asinine.

It IS asinine. Last year's SPX had all the hits in certain spots on the box, so we made sure to shuffle all the packs from open boxes. This year, instead of making it challenging, everything was right on top.

Also, the reason why that checklist is patchy is that whomever on that site is hand-researching it from eBay and case crackers. Because UD isn't ready with a checklist.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Can Upper Deck go bankrupt and let Panini buy the leftover cutup jerseys and sticker autos please?

They possibly are. Rumors are surfacing that the NHL will give UD's license to Topps, putting Topps back in the hockey card market.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

Did you send out the other card already or could I combine them?

And was that 3 bucks total or just the shipping?

I packaged the other card up, but it might not have gone out yet. It will be $3 for the card, total.

Surmy posted:

Really hopping for some Marcus Foligno cards in SPX, but not looking like it.

I've got a Foligno rookie card from Elite, if you want it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

20 new posts in the hockey card thread?!? Who pulled major awesome?! Oh wait, tales of UD being retarded. Nothing new :haw:

And when you say "right on top" do you mean like, the first 4 packs? :stare:

Literally the top two packs on each column. :stare:

I have a ton of Pominville base.

The Foligno is the regular rookie out of /999.

Gunjin posted:

I think they've been circling the drain since the Yu-Gi-Oh scandal.

UD has been in trouble ever since they tried to cut every corner whenever possible. They are run by idiots.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2012

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

Yeah, it's from Cloutsnchara though, and they only have a random team one left. I think i'll have to pass.... Still debating though, they're on the second case right now, 3rd one has 12 slots left

Most stuff so far has terrible white swatches too...

Whats the price on the Foligno?

The Foligno would be $12.50. They are selling for around $11.50 or so on eBay, minus some for fees, plus some for shipping.

sba posted:

Put me a little package together?? Anything from the past two years, let me know how much shipped to CA

If you have other not-base stuff let me know about that too

Any base cards, duplicates included? I'm sure that I have a ton of Pominville at home and at work.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

lloyol posted:

e-mail sent.

Are there any products with Jets jersey patches, or will they wait until they make use of all the Thrashers jersey scraps they still have in inventory?

There are Scheifele jersey cards in SPX, but other than that, I haven't seen anything distinctly Jets.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Rutkowski, your two Coyotes cards went out today.

A shipping number is in your email.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Danny LaFever posted:

I would like Chrome hockey. Yes indeed.

Stopped collecting this past fall but I wanted to check out the thread and see if SP Authentic came out. It usually does in April. How far back is UD pushing it?

June-ish!

SPX, traditionally a January release, came out last Tuesday.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

Recieved my John Turner & Co boxbreak package from Darkwolf as well as my Andy Miele and OEL package from Gordie. Man, that OEL patch is as obvious when I stack the cards as it could be.

Glad it came through. I've got some Coyotes stuff from Dominion that I'm trying to find.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

Got rookie autos of Klingberg and Schifele as well as a Postma rookie in the case break. Not too shabby, debating jumping in a second, we shall see.

If there's anything you can use for those, I'm doing the Contenders set again this year. I know you're a Jets guy, but I can use Contenders base autos.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

I really like Contenders. The first case that was opened had TWO booklets and eight patches. Love the hard-signed autographs, and the only problem is a lack of cool inserts.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Which is odd because last year Contenders was all about cool inserts with leather larceny, great outdoors, against the glass and draft tandems :confused:

Contenders went from a hockey version of Contenders Football to a Panini version of SP Authentic. It's too bad the Winter Classic inserts didn't come back, that was a great set.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Question for smart people: I bought 1 pack of Gypsy Queen baseball on a whim and got a redemption for a Matt Kemp auto (ebay BIN for the redemption cards is ~$60). I have no interest in keeping the card but want to know if I should redeem it then sell it. Which sells for more, the redemption cards or the real cards? I imagine its the same for hockey as it is for baseball. Thanks

Just redeem it and get the cash now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Wayne Gretzky posted:

I'm not sure I follow. The redemption cards are selling now for $60 but I know people dont like redemption cards so I'm wondering if its wiser to redeem the card and then sell the actual extant autographed card later

People don't like pulling redemption cards, but right now, you have a card that is a $60 item. By the time that the card is live, it might go down in value, Kemp might get injured, there might be a lot of Kemp cards, et cetera. If you don't want the card and it's not something that will be super shortprinted, it's better to sell now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

As a general warning, stay away from Rookie Anthology. Lots of quality control issues, according to Panini.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Ashekaban posted:

What do you mean?

Two reasons:

- A friend busted a case, didn't get what was stated, and his shop owner called Panini. The QC guy at Panini stated that they'd been expecting this call, as someone in production told them "expect a lot of problems with this product".

- The stated odds, and what I've seen, are as follows:

One Luxury Suite RC #'d 99 This has been in every case
One Level 1 or Level 2 Rookie Treasure Rookie card per caseI've seen none
One of the following per case (Rookie Silhouette #'d 99, Prime Rookie Silhouette #'d 25 or Rookie Treasure Patch #'d 15)I've seen 3 of 4 cases with a Silhouette and a Treasures patch, with the Treasures of someone crappy
Two to Three Limited Phenoms Autographed Rookie cards per caseThis has been 3-4 per case
One Autographed Ice Breaker Parallel per case3 seen in 4 cases

None of the cases had the guarantees, and multiple cases had completely bizarre assortments. There's also Freshman Fabric cards (from Certified), and those have been one per case.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

astrobuck9 posted:

I been in about 15 breaks of Anthology and the I can say in 11 out of those 15 breaks, the 1 card bonus pack was a NY Ranger Luxury Suite Stick/Jersey card. 3 of which were Derek Stepan. Of the remaining 4, 2 were Crown Royale Tomas Kubalik from the Blue Jackets Auto cards, and a Flyer and a Duck Luxury Suite Stick/Jersey cards.
It also seems like Ottawa gets a ton of hits (esp. Rookie Treasures)in the ones I've been in.

The collation is really weird. You can get lucky, or you can get really unlucky.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

did the booklet one touch cases ever come out or are they just a myth at this point?

They exist, I've used them before. 360pt one touch cases.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

But do they display the booklet open?

No, they do not.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Before I take my collection to a shop, I thought I would ask here if anyone wants to buy my 86-87 mint OPC set (with Pat Roy & Wendel Clark RCs!). i will entertain any offer. Other RCs I am selling (all OPC)

88 Brett Hull
85 Al Macinnis
81 Denis Savard
80 Mike Gartner
84 Pat Lafontaine
87 Adam Oates
85 Kirk Muller
84 Cam Neely
82 Dale Hawerchuk

And then I basically have every set from 89-94 kicking around. If you're missing something, or want me to send a pic, please ask. I am moving to ottawa from vancouver in a little over a month, I have a three year old and a newborn, so I might be slow to respond, but I am a solid dude.

Pm me or respond.

What sets do you have from 87-94?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Dominion Rundblad RPA /5 for $31? Someone must have been asleep at the switch, but i will take it :)

That's a nice card. What's the patch look like?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

This is completely random, but I owed Darkwolf some cards and I found/mailed that package today. Forgot about it until I found the package behind my desk.

Also, I bought my first pack of cards since the lockout began and pulled a UD Canvas card of Crosby. A potentially good sign for negotiations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Yeah, sorry about that, there were a couple Team Pinnacles to random I noticed when sorting the cards. I conceded the two I was involved in and randomed the last one, it was the Crosby/Stamkos I think? Crosby won. Sorry about the confusion there, the excitment of this:

had distracted everyone. Nice pull S_A. If you want tracking/expedited service on that, email me and let me know and I will do it, just be aware that to Canada it is going to be like $18-$25. Still can't believe that pull, that will teach me to give away boxes :haw:

Contenders, eh? Very nice.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

It has been a while since I updated everyone on my Rundblad collection and December has been a big month so..

Pinnacle Ice Breakers rookie auto, Heirs Prime /50 and Black Diamond rookie gold /10

Dominion patch/plate (yellow) 1/1, Titanium Home Sweaters auto dual patch /10

The Cup spectrum rookie /2, The Cup rookie black 1/1

Not a bad month so far :)

Do you have a Crown Royale Silhouettes of Rundblad? It's in an Ottawa uniform, but I've got one that I'm going to put on eBay soon.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Got bored and bought a UDS1 tin at Target. Hit an UD Canvas Ovechkin and a Silver Skates Gold of Thomas Vanek (1:288 hit) Not bad.

What do the Silver Skates cards feel like? Anything particularly unique about them?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

DarkWolf summed up most of it, but looking at the whole industry, there is one major difference between Panini and Upper Deck: company issues.

Upper Deck was the industry leader for the longest time, as they were the first to do jersey cards and other technologies, they had all four pro sports licenses, they had Jordan and Gretzky as endorsers, et cetera. But they got sloppy or greedy on certain things, resulting in lost profits due to court battles and lost licenses due to bad relationships with leagues. Now, UD produces NHL hockey cards, NCAA football and basketball cards, and some other minor things.

The constant rumor is that Upper Deck is going under. Every couple months or so, someone mentions that UD is doing poorly and is having this, that, or whatever problems. With the NHL lockout, Upper Deck could really be hurting due to poor/non-existent hockey card sales.

----

That being said, I was grocery shopping and saw a three-pack of UD Black Diamond packs for $10 by the register. Grabbed one, just hoping for any kind of Red Wing.

First pack - double diamond card of Gilbert Perreault. Nothing too special, but I like the Sabres, so good hit. No Red Wings.

Second pack - Rookie Gems quad diamond of Jaden Schwartz. One of the best top-tier rookies in the product, and essentially a 1:24 hit. (Quads are 1:12, split between the All-Star veterans and the rookies. So a quad rookie is 1:24.) With three packs per blister pack...that's probably the best card that I could have pulled out of any of those packs there. No Red Wings, though.

Third pack - Completely satisfied with the three packs before even opening the last one, with the Schwartz. The middle card is different, a clear insert. Not my pic, but...

A Red Wing. Championship Rings insert card of Luc Robitaille, a case hit in either the hobby or retail versions. And of the guys that could have been pulled, I pulled a Red Wing.

Very happy with those packs, and now I'm done with Black Diamond for the year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

Is there strictly a set of Team Canada stuff? I'd be really interested in collecting that stuff.

No, but it's in most of the products. Artifacts had a big chunk devoted to Team Canada, Black Diamond has some Team Canada jersey sets, The Cup included some amazing Team Canada patches.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

How many diamonds is Orr in this set? Most of the time the retired legends are quad diamonds and pretty tough pulls. Cizikas is supposed to be a pretty good prospect, so solid enough pull too.

In recent seasons, Black Diamond has had legends and superstars in the base set in team uniforms, and the quad veterans as All-Star Game photos. Two Orrs in the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

Surmy posted:

Hookers and blow?

Which team gets "hookers and blow"? Does that count as a mid-2000's Senators card?

• Locked thread