Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've really slacked off on collecting this season. Being in school hasn't done me any favors, and there aren't many card shops close to me. I really need to get to a show and dig through some boxes.

Speaking of which, the Toronto Sportcard & Memorabilia Expo is this weekend. If you can ever get to one of these, it is well worth it. Hundreds of vendors with a ton of both high end and bargain bin cards. It's really satisfying to paw through a box of "AUTOS $5 EACH OR 3/$10" and adding some unheralded gems to your collection. It's also a great place to see some of those high end cards in person and haggle with people. You meet some fascinating people there.

There are also some great perks to it. I haven't been to the show since Panini entered the market, but Upper Deck and In The Game usually do redemptions at the show for breaking boxes of certain products. Upper Deck usually does autographs (I received Peter Stastny and Frank Mahovolich autographed cards from the 02-03 Foundations set for opening some product that year at the show). ITG tends to give away additional memorabilia cards from whatever product you're opening. Three years ago my brother and I opened a box of Heroes and Prospects and received a Sam Gagner super series jersey card, but we also opened Between the Pipes and got a Plante/Price/Halak jersey. Really neat seeing the wool of Plante compared to those god-awful Edge jerseys.

Definitely worth the trip. I believe Beckett also offers grading drop-offs so you don't have to deal with some shipping and handling charges.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Paul Coffey posted:

So how do the card show box open things at card shows work? I saw a bunch of dudes just opening crazy boxes of stuff at tables but couldnt figure out what was happening/

It's good to check with whatever company you want to buy first to see what qualifies for a redemption and that they still have some. Then you just head to any dealer and buy the box from them and take it over to the company's booth to open it up, and they give you your card. They're generally nice people who flip out when you pull cool stuff.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Surmy posted:

Didint go by the card shop. Hopefully this week I will.

Also, I need to debate how much to set aside to bring to the expo. I don't want to go broke, but I do want to buy some fun stuff.

You can find some higher price bargain cards too. Last time I was there, in spring of 2009, my brother spent $50 for a hard-signed Malkin auto for UD Ultimate Collection. I got a Schremp press-plate auto for $20. It's one of those places where you have to do a quick sweep to compare prices and only pick up the big stuff if you've been looking forever. You just have to be prepared that EVERY card you've ever been looking for is going to be there.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Surmy posted:

Yeah, maybe i'm cheap, but investing 3500-4000$ on my favorite player seems insane :\
Also, assuming you saw it on the same site as me (CnC) are there any other good hockey forums? I still think they're quasi jerks for what happens to Eric's breaks, but on the forum itself they've seemed decent

I never understood why people did this. Realistically, what are the odds he's going to sell the entire collection? It would make much more sense to piece it out.

Of course maybe it's some guy whose wife/girlfriend wants him to sell it and he's just not trying very hard.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Goddammit just give ITG a license already.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Does Panini use game-worn jerseys for rookies or do they do the same photoshoot crap Upper Deck pulled?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Does Panini use game-used stuff for their rookie memorabilia cards or are they from photoshoots? That was the only trend of the 2000s that I thought topped sticker-autos in terms of "frustrating innovations."

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

darkwolf220 posted:

Mostly event used. not a lot of gamers around for these guys.

That's what I figured. I want to say Pacific managed to pull it off in 03-04 Titanium and Luxury Suite though. I understand the logistics behind it, but it still seems like a real kick in the junk to have people spend hundreds on a pack and include event-worn jerseys.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Generally you get into weird sections with that as far as value because Ottawa fans probably won't want it now that he's traded, and Columbus fans are more likely to hold out for cards with him in Jackets gear. The only people who will really seek it out will be Foligno collectors. Your card is kind of in limbo at that point, but it is still a nice pull.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Surmy posted:

Got absolutely spanked in a SPGU divisional.

Ouch. I never understood how SPGU kept going after the boom of jersey cards. It made sense to offer a jersey-per-pack product in 2001 because it was still such a curiousity, but now it seems like you get six dime-sized jersey pieces in a box with crazy odds at getting something spectacular.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Didn't Lehtonen say he never played the game before and just thought the characters looked cool? Or am I remembering completely wrong?

Also I'm itching to buy something but don't know where to turn. Thinking something Panini with a chance at a patch or something without spending a crazy amount of money on a single pack. Maybe Certified? Not too picky on the year either, so any suggestions?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've been tempted on a group break, just been busy on my end. Definitely want to get in on one soon. I'm for sure going to buy a box of something, and the $75 or so boxes of Titanium from blowout cards looks like a a solid deal.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Those are some top-notch designs. Do you tell the player you made them yourself and offer them to him?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Thinking of getting in on this one because a case of Contenders is mighty tempting, but I know I'm going to be in work schedule hell that week. Hmm.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Definitely down for some old Pacific. They had the craziest die-cuts and insert designs, and they usually threw a patch card in each box. Even if you didn't get some big name players, you could easily pull a four or more colored patch that made up for the fact that it was Jeff Friesen.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm game. If you could explain how best to send you money via paypal to help make it as painless as possible, feel free to email me:

jshucosky at gmail dot com

Edit: One spot in case that wasn't clear

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 20, 2013

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Money for the Pacific break should be in by Friday at the latest, I get paid tomorrow.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Dark I only recently linked my bank account to paypal so I don't have to deal with moneypacks or fees from cards. Should just take 2-3 days for it to be verified, and I'll send the money for Pacific after that. Thanks!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ashekaban posted:

Yes a rookie year one. But I have all the iterations of them.
And that's why it costs so much. But that guy won't go under 3k. But I sorta want the darks anyway

Geez he only played four games his rookie year. Quite a hunt you have on your hands.

I wish Meigray would do another grab-bag for their jerseys. For those not familiar, they'd do a set price and guarantee a jersey of at least that value with some crazy ones thrown in. I bought one of the $99 ones and got a 05-06 pre-season Andre Deveaux Lightning jersey which, while not the most collectible player, was in one of the higher-than-base-price tiers and showed a ton of game-use due to him being an enforcer and had some neat patch alterations due to it being meant for the lockout year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

darkwolf220 posted:

Mini jersey is still in, so all the more epic :haw:

I wish Mask Collection wasn't $100+ a box, those had a decent set of cards in addition to the mini-goalie masks.

Sucks about Exhibit though, those Time Warp cards were pretty nice.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'll send payment after work tonight.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Email/payment sent!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

thompson posted:

Realistically how much should a Perry auto shield from 10-11 dominion go for?

You'll probably be in a tricky spot given his uncertainty as a free-agent. Ducks fans will probably hold off on that for now, and if he does sign with a new team, someone will probably want to wait for something from their own team, shield or not.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

darkwolf220 posted:

Mini jersey came in today, got a UPS notice for another box on my door, assume it is the bobbles, so we should have all of our product :toot: Almost everyone is paid up, so thanks guys :) See everyone Saturday night, 8PM EST

Hate to be THAT GUY, but I have work til... probably take me to 11PM EST Saturday night. I'd be free any other night if we could switch, but I don't want to drag it out and could just mail you a list of teams if need be.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
No worries, I'll draft a list and have that to you in time for the break. I'm just excited to finally get some more cards.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Got mine in the mail as well! The Gaborik mini-jersey is awesome, and the extras you sent for a first break are incredible. Loving the look of the Pacific cards and having some great flashbacks of my return to the hobby. Thanks!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
drat dude, hope everything turns out well with this. We'll all be thinking of you.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I need to stop having to work on break nights :(

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
What night are you looking to break? If it works with my schedule I'd take a spot.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'll be sitting this one out, between buying records and a Dustin Jeffrey jersey, I'm going to need to budget myself a bit over the next month or two.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
So this is why I won't be buying cards for awhile until we do another break at least

I gave up on ever seeing my last name on a jersey in the NHL, but seeing my first name works well enough and I latched on to Dustin Jeffrey as a result. I also have a pair of gloves from one of the rookie tournaments he signed as well. Not quite on Ashe's level yet, but it's still an awesome addition to the collection.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Does that stick card have the tape still on the blade? If so that's insanely cool. I mean even more insanely cool.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm excited to get two years worth of rookie cards in one, but it's going to be hell for those high-end products when they have two years of scrubs to include for autographed patch cards as your big hit.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm in for a break.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm good for a spot.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Still have half a break. But that Howe patch is :stare:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Dark I'll send payment tomorrow after work for our break, just had to have some checks clear on my end.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I know I work til about 8 PM on Sunday, EST. I forget my schedule Saturday, it's either til 4 PM or 10 PM :shrug:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Payment sent. I should be home by 8 PM if you want/need to push the break up so it isn't super late for everyone. Sunday's are usually pretty quiet for me at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'll be sure to do that. Of course now you jinxed it :argh:

• Locked thread