Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Hey everybody! So I know very little about hockey cards (but love hockey) and decided I really liked the idea of starting a small collection since I love opening packs and collecting things and would love to get into hockey cards to remind myself of more hockey friendly areas of the world.

I picked up a few packs of something on a whim, blindly. However, there doesn't seem to be any good information that I can find about what to expect from different kinds of packs (what kind of cards will come in them), what companies produce things, and what to look out for (what cards are rare/desireable, and why?). Are there any good sources of information that might lay out what to expect or what's out there? Like what different series come out, or are coming out, what they have in them, how rare various things are, and the differences between the cards in those packs? I read through the OP, and that helped a little, but I still feel very lost in a sea of product.

Below is a kind of small picture of what I picked up about a five packs of (and I am sure is probably a fairly cheap/common series).

For reference, I have no background in sports collectibles or sports cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

darkwolf220 posted:

This x1000. It is a good idea to have some sort of focus. It is fine to grab up some cards because they are cool looking, but trying to get ALL the cool looking stuff is maddening, there is just so much. Some people collect their favorite player or team. Others collect rookie cards and don't much care for anything else. Some people only want goalies. All those things are ok, as long as they are enjoying it. Just keep in mind that if you decide to try to collect a superstar, you will have a lower quantity than if you collected someone else. Sidney Crosby cards cost a lot more than David Rundblad.

On the flip side, you don't have to collect a particular player/team. If you like opening packs, it is a good idea to have an open mind about things because it is fairly unlikely that the exact card you want comes out of any given pack. I do a mix of both, I open a lot of packs and get a lot of stuff I don't particularly go for, but I also focus on David Rundblad and to a lesser extent Coyotes cards in general. I get the majority of my 'anything' cards from packs and use eBay to get most of the individual Rundblad cards. I also use eBay to sell cards that might have a very high value, but aren't all that special to me.

As for the packs you got: Upper Deck Series 1. You picked a good set to start with, especially if they are retail packs. If you found them at Target, WalMart or another box store, they will be retail. The only place to get hobby packs is at a dedicated card store. In a set like Series 1 there is very little difference between the two, so like I said, pretty good place to start. With some higher end products like Titanium, Artifacts or Certified, the odds difference between Retail and Hobby are very stark.

For Series 1, the biggest cards are the rookie cards, in that set called 'Young Guns'. A Young Guns of Nathan MacKinnon is worth about $60. Also in Series 1 are UD Canvas cards (both normal and Young Guns), MVP Cards, Shining Stars, Hockey Heroes and UD Game Jersey. This is a great introductory set because it offers a pretty wide variety and a low cost. The full odds should be on the back of the pack in the 'fine print' (aka, Young Guns 1:6, meaning 1 Young Guns on average in 6 packs)

If you decide this is for you, I recommend getting involved in one of our breaks. Typically you get 2 teams (everyone takes turns picking) worth of cards from a pretty large quantity of boxes and different varieties. Our last break had I think 11 boxes in it and everyone got 25-35 cards. It is a great way to get a bunch of cards, especially if you do not have a hobby store nearby that carries hockey. The only real downfall is you don't get the rush from actually opening the packs.

Don't be a stranger and feel free to ask as many questions as you want, even if they seem obvious. We don't mind being a resource!

Awesome! Thank all three of you who replied for all the information, that gives me a good picture of what I'm looking at. Are the various sets/releases actually known by "Hobby" and "Retail" on the box/by the manufacturer, or is that a colloquial term that the collecting community uses? (Basically, I am looking to see if I can rely on that term when looking to purchase cards online)

I'm thinking to start I'd like to focus on a few teams (Detroit, Tampa Bay, and NYR for my fiancee) and then maybe Goalies, but I do really love opening packs. I wouldn't mind starting my collection out by going in on a break. Is this the thread where that usually gets set up? I see one ongoing from you, darkwolf220, last page, but I really don't know. Is that a good break to get in on? I could probably afford to take two slots if it is, but I really don't know what you're opening from the post because I'm new.

Also, this is the stuff I got that I have determined is unusual or interesting in any way from my packs (I know it's probably not all that exciting to anyone else):

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Awesome! To answer Ashekaban, I'm actually in Atlanta, GA (though I grew up in Michigan).

I think I'll take you up on that and go in on a break with you guys, and I'll take one spot hoping to get Detroit and Tampa. So I guess count me in for one spot.

Now I just need to get some binders and toploaders/sleeves.

How does this work for quantity of cards, as well? You said around 25-30 cards for a team, and that's across how many boxes? Do the higher end packs still have "normal" cards? I very much like normal cards in addition to my interest in the rarer hits (but I can always just buy retail packs for those I guess).

When you do a break, how does it usually go physically? Do you just post the list/pictures after you've opened everything?

Thanks again for all the info.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Small world! I'm not a huge fan of Atlanta honestly (and moved here as the Thrashers were leaving) but there are some good eats here and it's somewhat more liberal than the rest of the south so hey whatever.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of base cards. I'm a huge nerd so I fully intend to use them to make some kind of complicated dynasty/fantasy style hockey board game. That said, I don't expect you to bust your balls to get them to me if that's not normal. I'll just happily accept the normal cards and just buy retail packs to get more base cards if it's difficult for you to separate them out and mail them.

It sounds pretty awesome honestly. Are the live breaks usually in the evening EST so I'll be off work?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Badass, looking forward to it.

I've been to the Vortex a lot. If you ever come back, I'll show you some other eats in case you've missed them, like Hankook Taqueria (korean bbq taco place).

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Deal, planning on attending Dragoncon this year if we can afford the trip.

Awesome. We have a nice house in Tucker with a pretty pimp gaming room if you're into board games and the like too.

anotherblownsave posted:

I just wanna welcome the new hockey card goon to the group! I can't really give you too much more info other than what has been given already, I started breaking a little over a year ago. It's fun, addicting, and honestly one of the best ways to spend an evening. We call it "drinking with Thompson". Definitely register at vaughn, its free and the chat is worth it. If you've never broken before, check out a CnC break to see how it works. They break every night, I don't have the link handy but I'm sure you could search it on vaughn or someone here has it.

Thanks for the welcome! I really felt out of touch with hockey down here and I have no real friends into it other than the fiancee. I watched a bunch of breaks on Youtube today and they gave me a vague idea of what's going on. I signed up for Vaughn under the same name as I use on SA.

Antifreeze Head posted:

You may want to look into cheaper sets, like Score and O-Pee-Chee. They both have massive checklists (500 and 600, I think) meaning there is plenty in the way of sorting and whatnot to chase down whatever you need to finish off a set.

But be warned there is pretty much no monetary value in doing this, only a sense of accomplishment when you finally finish. The base card set of those sets direct from eBay usually go for a tiny sum, often less than it would cost for a single box of that product. Not that you should ever be into the hobby for what your cards are/might be worth, that is a road to a great deal of sadness.

If you're looking to build something quick and cheap, look at older sets. Hobby boxes of 2010/11 and 2011/12 Pinnacle are really quite cheap. They are small sets, 200 cards I think, but you'll get a few memorabilia cards and some interesting inserts along the way. 2011/12 Score is about $13 per box on dacardworld, get half a dozen of those and you should finish off the set, probably get most of the inserts, maybe pull a couple autographs.

I'll have to look into some older sets and cheaper ones. I really do love the idea of the autographed and jersey/memorabilia cards more than anything though, so a big part of me is going to want to get into box breaks with people here and just hope to get lucky and trade into them. I don't really like the idea of just buying them off ebay or something similar. I'd much rather break boxes/open packs and then maybe trade for them. It just feels like more of a hobby rather than just throwing money at it, you know? Maybe that makes me weird.

(And I was serious about using base cards for nefarious and nerdy purposes which is part of why I'm okay with the side effect of having a bunch of them or sets of them)

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Hooray, more new people, welcome from someone just as new as you.

So I couldn't resist picking up some more UD 13-14 Series 1 (12 packs) because I was checking out and they were just right there. Hope nobody minds me posting the small victories I've encountered.

I'm not 100% certain how good it all is. Figuring it out seems slippery at best.

Which brings me to a good question. What is the best way to price the things that I open? Do I have to guess based on ebay results? Is there a sports guide worth buying (or even better, a free one online)? I'm used to it being very easy to find prices on cards from my CCG days and this seems like a totally different arena.

And a second question: I'm assuming that the "set list" cards aren't worth much? I got a Young Guns set list card from the packs I bought and was confused.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 19, 2014

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Boinks posted:

Nice hit on the Canvas rookie, those are tough to pull.

The Young Guns checklist is short printed the same as the rookies. I think it books for $8.

You might be better off buying a tin than 12 loose packs next time, if you have the option. Tins have a 50% chance of getting a jersey card.

edit--> Use Ebay to find out what a card is worth. Add the sold price to whatever the shipping cost was and that's what the card should be worth.

I use Beckett for trading though.

Thanks! It seemed pretty nice but I wasn't seeing it right away on ebay.

I didn't buy the packs loose, I bought a box of them which from Googling I have just learned is a blaster box. I didn't realize that was relevant and now I know!

What does the tin look like? EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on Amazon. Didn't have any of those at the time but I have now learned my lesson. These are better than the blaster boxes, right?

Antifreeze Head posted:

It isn't really that different. You can get a paper guide like Beckett, but like Scrye it doesn't necessarily reflect what the card is actually selling for on the open market. You can get a sense of what someone will actually pay by checking the "sold" listings on eBay for the card, though you should factor in the cost of shipping if you want to better compare the online price with what you would pay at a hobby shop.

For instance, the Mike Gartner card is selling occasionally at $1.50 with shipping. But there are lots of one cent auctions without any bids. If you found it in a card shop though, it might be in with ten cent cards, maybe a dollar if you live in/around where he played or is from.

The Granlund is somewhere between $8 - 12. If you were considering selling it, hope he does big things in the Olympics and it might go up.

Oh awesome. Very good answer, that pretty much explains it all.

I'll hope Granlund does well then, I'd pretty much be looking to sell or trade it since it's not one of my primary teams and not a player I'm particularly into. Do people in here do a lot of intra-SA selling/trading? Are there any major websites that do a lot of trading?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

I wanted to drop a line again too after reading over the box break post and let you know darkwolf, I can absorb/pay another slot if we're short people or someone backs out.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Philouza posted:

Do you guys prefer this year's Artifacts or SPx? Those are normally my go-to's (along with Crown Royale, not out yet). Is there something else in that price range that's better? I've been mostly underwhelmed with Panini's stuff (with the exception of Crown) at that price point. Maybe it's just bad luck.

I haven't opened any SPx yet but I bought some Artifacts last night and man I have to say that it's very, very pretty. I didn't really get any hits but even just the base was very aesthetically pleasing. So that's my totally ineffective two cents.

On that note, I continue to share my not particularly noteworthy but still very cool to me hits from my UD Series 1 packs. I got two more blasters last night:

Lots more Young Guns hits! One duplicate in the Carrick but hey whatever. Cool looking Luongo retro too.

Couldn't believe my luck. 3rd pack into my 2nd blaster ever and I got another UD Canvas Young Gun. And this time it was even a keeper for me! I also got my first Shining Stars, which is pretty cool looking, and then in the second blaster I got another UD Canvas, but my first one that wasn't also a Young Gun but still cool to see.

My conclusion so far in this hobby is that buying product is addicting.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Since I'm new I don't really know - what does Upper Deck do that makes them poo poo?

I really have no frame of reference as I've only purchased two sets so far (Artifacts and Series 1).

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Upper Deck is pretty old-guard when talking about hockey cards. Upper Deck has a history of mishandling their properties, but I think we are far enough removed from it that their current iteration gets a lot of undeserved hate. Back in the late 90's/early 2000s they had the rights from Konami to produce YuGiOh cards in the US. They made what they were supposed to, then a ton of fakes that were given to repackagers (ie those "20 packs for 19.95!" boxes you see at WalMart). They got busted, lost all their professional licences but the NHL.

Panini was the new kid and did a lot of things that made them seem to have more value than UD. And if you were more interested in collecting than secondary market, this was true. However, Panini's cards just for whatever reason never really had the same tangible value as UD cards. Panini never had a 'Young Guns'. They tried, probably thier best attempts were Donruss Rated Rookies and Pinnacle Ice Breakers, but it just never got that same prestige. Donruss cost ~$4 a pack hobby when it was released, the same as Series 1, but a Taylor Hall Rated Rookie was worth five dollars where a Taylor Hall Young Guns is worth twenty five. Pinnacle was another try, even adding more hits, but it did not hold up. Now you can get sealed boxes of Donruss or Pinnacle for $25, when you will still pay full retail or more for Series 1.

This concept can be expanded to essentially all sets, a Sidney Crosby auto put out by UD is typically worth more than one by Panini. While I am a collector and am very partial to the perceived value Panini provides, the secondary market is a huge factor in these things. If UD cards can be resold for more, people are going to choose them over Panini. Not being able to print Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and (until recently) Gordie Howe cards hurt a lot too. Eventually, Gordie came over, but barring another big fish exclusivity (ie Mario Lemieux) it was probably too little too late.

I will miss a lot of Panini products, but if UD does things right, it might be a good thing for the hobby. Card values have been sluggish and going down for the past few years, probably because of over saturation. I'd love to see UD cut the lineup to maybe 15 sets total and bring things back. They will probablly bring back a set or two. Maybe they can also buy a few of the designs from Panini. Here is what I see:

OPC
Artifacts
Trilogy
Black Diamond
Be A Player/Something New
Series 1
SP Game Used
SPX
MVP
Fleer Retro/Parkie Champs
SPA
Series 2
UD Ice
Ultimate
The Cup

Other than that, expect a Panini-only showcase break this summer :911:

Thanks to all of you for the answers! That really makes a lot of sense.

Of what I've bought so far, I've not gotten any value out of Artifacts (ten base only packs and counting) but they're very pretty. I'd like to break open some Panini product just to get an idea of what it's like because from the sounds of it even if it's worth less it sounds like it's interesting and worth getting to check out.

I think I may be different than people here as the most exciting things to me are the possibility of memorabilia/autograph cards, less so the unique/strange base-ish cards like parallels and similar things.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Boinks posted:

I'd stay away from retail Artifacts in the future. Seems like 98% of the packs are just base cards. I don't even know why UD puts the product out in retail.

Yeah apparently :(

I just saw it had lots of memorabilia and now apparently I've been drawn in by it's siren's call to the tune of 10~ packs. Oh well.

darkwolf220 posted:

Because people buy it :haw:

Anyways, the break payment due date is this Sunday. If we don't get more signups by then, I am going to have to push it back/cancel. And I don't want to do that.

Where and/or how do I pay you? I have $100 smackaroos for you towards completing that break.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

^^^

I take Paypal: shifterdarkwolf AT gmail DOT com. USD only, please. Legally I can't tell you that you should send it as a personal payment, so send it either way, it is fine :haw: Also email me at the same address with your shipping address and favorite team (I give away a free card for your first break :toot: )

If we for some reason don't even hit 10, I will put it up to you guys in the break if we go forward and just get what we can and everyone gets another team or everyone gets 3, a couple get the last few bad teams. We will figure it out.

We're like right there so I am not too worried.

Same instructions to silvergunsuperman.

e: In other news, I just got a MASSIVE Mike Smith stick swatch for a song :toot: It should be here for the break, so I will show it off!

Since we look short I went in for 2 slots.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

^^^ Yeah, getting a Sakic /3 auto just sucks! Great hit btw :)

Whoops, I made an error :haw:

Payment is due NEXT Sunday, not tomorrow :v: Darius, I can refund you if you want or just mark you as paid and not have you worry about it next week. Sorry about getting my days mixed up.

Nah. I'd rather have paid early.

And yes, loving nice hit on that Sakic!

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Ok, I have done a mock again now that we are fairly close to the order date. Here is what I came up with:

10 spots:
11 boxes, 1 'lot' (12 boxes)
All years 2006-2000 represented
A mini jersey, a bobble head
Black Diamond BEFORE it was a garbage set
Additional Swedish language cards for fun
Bull cards for more fun
11-12 Contenders because the women's hockey team does not suck as much.

15 spots:
Everything above
15 total items
2007-2009 represented
One of the top sets to get Malkin/Kessel rookie jerseys out of
08-09 freaking ICE aka best set ever

I don't want to spoil full set lists both because I can't promise every set until I get the cards plus it would make for fun break surprises. If you guys really want a full listing, I can post one, but I'd rather not, spare that Ice mention because Ice is awesome. Lastly, it is unlikely but possible we will pull an expired redemption card. I will do my best to provide a comprable replacement out of my own personal collection if we do. Hope this fills, it will be fun, I promise!

I totally have no idea but I am pretty well excited about all of it. I don't really care about Women's hockey but maybe I am just missing a reference here.

What makes everyone love ICE?

Oh, and I ordered a blaster box of Artifacts awhile ago before people told me it was a money sink and it just came. And with it came my first memorabilia card! They are truly everything I wished for even though it seems I got a pretty plain pair of swatches. I'm just as addicted to memorabilia as I thought I would be.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

I am so damned excited for cards that are not from Target! And hoping to get shots at the teams I really want.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ashekaban posted:

There's usually a race for pens leafs kings. We have a resident bruins, ducks, caps, stars fans. Rest are usually open season.

Sweet! My favorites are the Wings, Lightning, Rangers, and then probably the Hurricanes so it sounds like an open field (but with bad cards for most of those in the monetary value arena).

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ashekaban posted:

Nono you gotta pick one. We sorta do a decent honor system where if your in a pick or two of drafting we don't normally steal favorites. Except catwife

I am torn but have to stick with my #1A being Detroit and making my Tampa #1B. The Rangers are my fiancee's favorite (who got into this in a mild way with me).

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

♫ It's Sunday... in my heart. ♫

...I also desire for box breaking to commence. I have high hopes for memorabilia and autographs to line my shiny new binders (or maybe at least some weird and funny looking cards like the plethora of hockey players wearing camo jackets I've found in Upper Deck retail so far).

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 13, 2014

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Does everyone use the chat function on that site, or do they use something else? I'm already on there and logged in but the chat appears empty.

EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out. Just had to restart my browser.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 16, 2014

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

I had an absurd amount of fun and want to go again! Especially if it means autographs and memorabilia! That's what I live for!

Count me in for 2 spots, please! (it's the only way I can have a shot at Detroit and then still maybe get Tampa/NYR)

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Yeah I am totally in on that idea, I love the larger card pool and would happily pay for either 2 or 3 slots.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

I'm in for one.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ashekaban posted:

Most will put the box number in the break description, and film the break that way, showing the box number before they open it. Some have an option of viewing live, those are personally the ones i choose. Ive also seen dudes do a live clock showing on their phone as they open the box, so you can tell if there is something shady going on. I normally dont open lower end stuff this way, and its okay to try for a team thats out there that will go cheap. I personally opened about two cases of 11-12 prime picking dallas for about 40 bucks total. Where normally one box is about 8-9 bucks per team slot.

There are some folks who have been busted slicing videos, but a lot of them are just dudes who prefer to "open cards". The slicing dudes you can tell by reading negative feedback on that kind of stuff.

I actually am just now trying this myself. About $3.50 for Tampa/Detroit on a single box. I figure that's not a bad shot.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I joined one of those Ebay breaks of just 1 box, didn't hit anything but there was one pretty drat cool card that I was sad to not get a crack at,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMVHJ0rfUo&t=531s

e: why yes, he IS from eastern :canada: funny you'd ask!

Wow! Yeah, that's a hell of a nice hit there. Mine is for a single box of 13-14 Panini Totally Certified

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Hah drat, I do actually like quite that Sundin/Mogilny one, seriously considering it so thanks for the link.

These ebay micro-breaks are freaking addicting. :stare:

Absolutely. Mine just came back and I got bupkus, but the overall idea is great because it's a small investment if you catch the auctions at the right time.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

gently caress it. I'm in for a second spot.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

So, uh, I like talking about hockey cards!

Anyone chasing anything cool? I bought into a few 1 box breaks for tomorrow and I'm humping this card ocular-style at the moment,

Outside Gretzky and Lemieux those are probably my 4 favourite Canadian players, cool card.

I'm in two breaks tomorrow that I ebayed into. Nothing special, some Artifacts 13-14 and another that's Crown Royale 13-14. I'm not super hopeful because it was basically just me picking up Tampa on the cheap and they rarely hit it seems.

That's a pretty damned nice card, did you win it on ebay or are you just staring wistfully?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

lol that's funny, I'm pretty sure I have a team in both those breaks, unless there was a double.

That particular beauty is on Ebay for another 24 hours.

Total bust for me on the Artifacts box, oh well. It was like $7.

Man, everything for Igor Larionov is super expensive too. I was hoping to snag an inexpensive patch card or something neat to start my collection but everything is starting between $25-50

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Quantrill posted:

Cards came from the break and there was this 1/1 gem:

Super awesome Catwife!

Hahaha, that's awesome! Looks like you got a really awesome hit :v:

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Yes, they are! We plucked them right off :devil:

darkwolf is a generous bastard. He heard how much the fiancee and I like base cards and he did this:

That's only about half of what was in the box and some of those stacks are a good six to eight inches high.

Thanks, man! We really appreciate it and can't wait to break again.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Yup, I tried to get as many different sets in there as I could, including supermodels :haw:

Don't expect a box like that every time though, i just worked out that you won the bobble, so I had to use a big box ;)

ps: They few extra jersey cards and the Ryan Mac auto are in case UD won't give you anything for that Zetterberg auto. They probably won't, because they are dicks :smith:

They're absolutely awesome and way beyond anything I would ever expect, man! Thank you so much for going above and beyond.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

^^ Yay!

So last night I got some time to go through all the assorted stuff (old breaks, packs, etc) that I had laying around unsorted. I have a huge stack of inserts and rookies, both numbered and not. From now on until those piles run out (they are huge) instead of using leftover base cards to fill up shipping boxes, I will use those.

Well that is just awesome to the tits. I cannot even fathom how many cards you must have.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Yeah, that will be... interesting. So much Penguins love, I will never get the Letang or Lemieux silhouettes in our breaks. Oh well, at least there are only 2 :haw:

This exact situation is why I bought two slots for four chances! I dunno if I'll get what I want though still. :ohdear:

EDIT: And also, Tampa did not exactly work out for me last time when I picked it. So I guess maybe this time if I get them I'll be luckier.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 4, 2014

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

I'd be very surprised if you get both Detroit and NYR, both teams are strong in both sets and have high end hits. A lot of great teams are good in one set but not both (STL, BOS, EDM).

Both those teams are pretty high on my pick list honestly. Not at the top though ;)

Well, Detroit and Tampa are my teams. My fiancee likes the Rangers more than any other team but is fond of any team from New York or nearby (NJ) so I'll be shooting for the best of that after my priorities.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

We've had an extra spot open up :toot: If someone wants to jump in and claim it, great, if not it will go to Catwife.

e: Also ordered the cards today and have another great piece of autoed swag to random off. The best one yet imo, with respect to Phil Esposito.

I wish I could offer, but I am way overextended on two spots on a large break like this! Hope Surmy gets it, though, I cannot wait to break!

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

20 pounds of cards came today! I would take pictures of them, but that would just be boring brown cardboard boxes.

We did get this as a bonus that I will random off though:

Just so you know, if I win the random, I will be keeping it, because it is awesome :stare:

Sunday is only a few more days away!

Man that's a pretty signature! I can't wait!

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Surmy posted:

Laid out the hits and was surprised by who the bottom couple teams were. I'd strongly suggest people take a look at the checklists on these sets before we draft.

I don't really have any interest in anything but the teams I like, which is why I break instead of buying boxes. I'm not really so much into the sort of meta-strategy of box breaks where you find the best teams for the set. I just try to get the teams I care about and honestly I think I will panic if I don't, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Great break last night everybody! I got really lucky with that Yzerman auto and can't wait to see it in person.

• Locked thread