Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What if they kill off old Spock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
"I've been dead before"

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

7thBatallion posted:

I'd love to see a scene where old Spock references two dimensional thinking or another lynchpin of TWOK and NuKirk is completely unimpressed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

7thBatallion posted:

Stop killing Nimoy you jerks :argh:

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

lizardman posted:

"I've been dead before"

Star Trek: The Search for Old Spock

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

At the end of every New Trek movie, just before the credits roll, we cut to a quick shot of Old Spock singlehandedly taking care of a major event from Star Trek before it becomes a big deal. "Hey, great job on taking care of Khan, by the way, I got these humpback whales. Also, it's the Voyager space probe. Just write that down for now."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I thought the footage cut from the last film only showed them with helmets on so you didn't know whether they were ridged or not.

Correct, but my reasoning for why I said what I did, was that I remember the helmets having ridges on them. That's basically my entire reasoning, it's pretty flimsy, I admit.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I can easily imagine JJ Abrams apparently killing Kirk instead of one of the Spocks in the end of the movie (as a "twist" on the TWOK ending) in some ambiguous manner; trying to a pull a Lost and ENDLESS SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I really can't stand watching any type of Star Trek television show, and yet I loved the 2009 film. JJ can tell a drat good story, and I have high hopes for this one too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelestialScribe posted:

I really can't stand watching any type of Star Trek television show, and yet I loved the 2009 film. JJ can tell a drat good story, and I have high hopes for this one too.

The ony really good Star Trek movies are Wrath of Khan, Abrams' Star Trek and Galaxy Quest so that's not a big surprise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LesterGroans posted:

The ony really good Star Trek movies are Wrath of Khan, Abrams' Star Trek and Galaxy Quest so that's not a big surprise.

I thought Undiscovered Country was pretty decent as well.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Voyage Home rules, you dummies. I know that and I don't even like Star Trek.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hell, Search for Spock is pretty solid. Nimoy's a good director. First Contact was good too.

I'll say this for the franchise, it managed to go 5-5.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Voyage Home is terrible, probably my least favourite of the original cast movies. Search For Spock is boring as hell but at least it's not trying to be funny and failing horribly.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

7thBatallion posted:

What if they kill off Kirk instead? Or even Bones? Might be interesting to shake things up a bit.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

First Contact was good too.

First Contact is a piece of poo poo. It introduced stupid stuff like the borg being able to travel through time and the queen, plus it rewrote characters so they acted in direct opposition to how they should have.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

First Contact is a piece of poo poo. It introduced stupid stuff like the borg being able to travel through time and the queen, plus it rewrote characters so they acted in direct opposition to how they should have.

How so?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Voyage Home is a Back To the Future ripoff without the added implications of "what if going back in time changes the future substantially" and is mostly used as an excuse for "well what if Star Trek...was in the present [of 1986]?"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Great_Gerbil posted:

How so?

I'm glad you asked this question, because it makes it so I get to link this; http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-first-contact/

Basically, and this is just my own opinion, it changed Picards character to much, and that's why I hated it. He is nothing like he is on TNG. On First Contact, he is a blood thirsty, vengeful person. Some of the things he does in the movie (like just randomly slaughter one of his own crew members), would never have happened on the t.v. show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Voyage Home is a Back To the Future ripoff without the added implications of "what if going back in time changes the future substantially" and is mostly used as an excuse for "well what if Star Trek...was in the present [of 1986]?"

But Back to the Future didn't have any jokes about Harold Robbins.

Or, "What does it mean, exact change?"

First Contact may not maintain continuity with the series that well, but it's a good story in and of itself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

First Contact may not maintain continuity with the series that well, but it's a good story in and of itself.

No, not really. There's to many plot holes to make it a good story. There are moments where either the Borg, or the Enterprise crew could have easily ended the movie right then and there, but instead they all do something stupid, in order to keep the plot moving.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Time travel stories can gloss over their plotholes, spaceship stories can gloss over their plotholes, but time traveling spaceships only work in stuff like Doug Adams books (or Star Trek 4).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'm glad you asked this question, because it makes it so I get to link this; http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-first-contact/

Basically, and this is just my own opinion, it changed Picards character to much, and that's why I hated it. He is nothing like he is on TNG. On First Contact, he is a blood thirsty, vengeful person. Some of the things he does in the movie (like just randomly slaughter one of his own crew members), would never have happened on the t.v. show.

I remember watching that and decided when he said that the TNG ep when Worf fragments time was the "worst episode of Star Trek" that redlettermedia actually has no idea what they're talking about.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember watching that and decided when he said that the TNG ep when Worf fragments time was the "worst episode of Star Trek" that redlettermedia actually has no idea what they're talking about.

That was one of the few times I disagree with RLM. That was actually one of the best TNG episodes ever.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Those are dumb arguments and the Red Letter Media review is deliberately tongue-in-cheek because it knows those arguments are dumb and things only the geekiest of continuity geeks would care about.

People who don't like Voyage Home and First Contact can eat a dick, I say. :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lizardman posted:

Those are dumb arguments and the Red Letter Media review is deliberately tongue-in-cheek because it knows those arguments are dumb and things only the geekiest of continuity geeks would care about.

People who don't like Voyage Home and First Contact can eat a dick, I say. :colbert:

You can ignore the stuff about the room that leads no where, or the shuttle bay being in a strange location. But there are some very good points raised about the overall storyline, and actions of the characters, that just ruins the movie.

I really can't say anything positive about the TNG movies, sorry! Voyage Home is an awesome movie though. I was under the impression everyone liked it?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I agree with some of that, but I still think it's one of the most entertaining Star Trek movies.

Especially because they at least tried to make Picard deal with his trauma. On the TV show, the writers had to fight to get even one episode of that - Roddenberry and Berman basically wanted to pick up the show after Picard's assimilation as if nothing had happened.

I watched Abrams' Star Trek again last week, and goddamn is it a fun, good movie. Music, casting, humor, it just hits all the right notes. It's pretty impressive when you listen to the commentary and watch the deleted scenes, and see how much it was cut up from its original version.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I watched Abrams' Star Trek again last week, and goddamn is it a fun, good movie. Music, casting, humor, it just hits all the right notes. It's pretty impressive when you listen to the commentary and watch the deleted scenes, and see how much it was cut up from its original version.

I have to agree, especially on Bones.

Dr. McCoy posted:

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait'll you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles, see if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said come in! posted:

You can ignore the stuff about the room that leads no where, or the shuttle bay being in a strange location. But there are some very good points raised about the overall storyline, and actions of the characters, that just ruins the movie.

I really can't say anything positive about the TNG movies, sorry! Voyage Home is an awesome movie though. I was under the impression everyone liked it?
I liked how they wrote Picard's character to an extent in FC. It at least showed that he was still haunted by the Borg, and actually was human enough to have a vendetta against them for their crimes against him. I don't believe it's necessarily inconsistent from his character, since he tended to be pretty withdrawn for the most part emotionally from the rest of the crew. Plus you end up with a situation where he's just lost the Enterprise-D about a year before FC, and now the Borg are going to do it again and he's nearly powerless to stop them.

I also appreciated the fact that Worf stood up and challenged Picard on his decision-making, something 1st Season TNG Worf wouldn't have done.

While the time-travel and the creation of the Queen was not the greatest thing, overall it's by far the best TNG movie and I put it 2nd best among Trek films. Although I'm a TNG homer so you can take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The problem about Picard was that the show didn't develop any of this, and had like 6 or 7 more run-ins with the Borg since his abduction where he was obviously well adjusted at that point. It didn't make the movie "bad" - it was just an annoying, weird nagging thing that you couldn't really ignore while watching.

RLM's overall point is correct, though. The TNG movies shoehorned characters into whatever role they felt like with no prior consideration of the personality traits of that character. Ahab-Picard was an example of this, even if it worked "ok' within the bubble of that particular movie only.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I mean, I'm willing to ignore a little character fudging for the sake of a narrative, but the leap between "They are a sentient species who deserve the right to live" Picard and "They all deserve to die for what they've done" Picard was just too huge for me to go with.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'm willing to ignore a little character fudging for the sake of a narrative, but the leap between "They are a sentient species who deserve the right to live" Picard and "They all deserve to die for what they've done" Picard was just too huge for me to go with.

He wrestled with wiping out the whole race in TNG. But he thought Hugh was cute so he didn't.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

davidspackage posted:

I think it's one of the best examples of a really stupid movie that's nevertheless genuinely entertaining.

EDIT: I realized I'm kind of repeating myself here so I'll stop now. :downs:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Entertaining, but the plot makes no sense. It's carried purely by the characters and actors.

Edit: to be more specific, I still don't quite understand what the main villian is enraged about. The blame he assigns is completely.... well, illogical.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NarkyBark posted:

Entertaining, but the plot makes no sense. It's carried purely by the characters and actors.

Edit: to be more specific, I still don't quite understand what the main villian is enraged about. The blame he assigns is completely.... well, illogical.

He loses his home world because Spock hosed up for whatever reason, so he decides to go back in time and destroy Spock's homeworld, and then help conquer the Federation for the Romulans because he's a Romulan patriot or something (that's the only bit I never really got, but based on his actions you could infer that he digs his planet a lot).

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Nero's angry at Spock because he failed to stop the disaster which both killed his pregnant wife and destroyed Romulus (which was the purpose of the Red Matter in Spocks's ship). Both Nero and Spock got pulled into the anomaly by accident; neither intended to go back in time.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 10, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

He loses his home world because Spock hosed up for whatever reason, so he decides to go back in time and destroy Spock's homeworld, and then help conquer the Federation for the Romulans because he's a Romulan patriot or something (that's the only bit I never really got, but based on his actions you could infer that he digs his planet a lot).

Romulans are as a culture taught to be very patriotic and respectful of the leadership and all so yea even a random miner dick would be all 'I must reclaim the Empire's glory!'

Of course if you're NOT a super nerd it doesn't make sense and that's a failing, but if you're a trek dork it works.

Regardless though, bro has a legit beef with the federation, I mean obviously time-genocide is wrong but I can understand 'oh poo poo my people got wiped out including my pregnant wife, well gently caress this noise.'

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Glitterbomber posted:

Romulans are as a culture taught to be very patriotic and respectful of the leadership and all...

I still feel the Nero/Spock rivalry is a stretch. I believe Spock was one of the few trying to save Romulus - sure his plan didn't work, but at least he tried.

I can look past that and accept Nero is insane (although he doesn't get enough screen time to show that), but why not take his fancy ship full of advanced Borg tech to the senate and warn them?

Empire is saved AND now has technology/knowledge from the future.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The funniest part is that Nero was apparently waiting in one spot for Spock for years and years, since there is nothing at all in the film that would make you think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Romulans are as a culture taught to be very patriotic and respectful of the leadership and all so yea even a random miner dick would be all 'I must reclaim the Empire's glory!'

Of course if you're NOT a super nerd it doesn't make sense and that's a failing, but if you're a trek dork it works.

Regardless though, bro has a legit beef with the federation, I mean obviously time-genocide is wrong but I can understand 'oh poo poo my people got wiped out including my pregnant wife, well gently caress this noise.'

Supposedly, and I'm getting this from Star Trek Online, so grain-of-salt, the Federation and the Vulcans officially declined to help the Romulans with the supernova shockwave. I believe Spock personally took the issue into his own hands with the Red Matter and the Vulcan Science Academy ship, but ultimately failed to save their homeworld, but probably helped them stem off some of the damage to the rest of their space.

Akalies posted:

I can look past that and accept Nero is insane (although he doesn't get enough screen time to show that), but why not take his fancy ship full of advanced Borg tech to the senate and warn them?

Empire is saved AND now has technology/knowledge from the future.

Which he probably would have done if he wasn't crippled by the Kelvin, which led to his capture by the Klingons. Of course, this would have been easier explained if they hadn't cut out Nero's imprisonment and escape.

• Locked thread