Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

Alcides Ghiggia the man who scored Uruguay's second goal in the 1950 final is in an induced coma after a car accident. I think he's the last survivor of the 1950 champions :(

Yep. Fuerza Ghiggia was a trending topic in Brazil for a while, courtesy of Impedimento.org, a really good blog about South American football if you can read some Portuguese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That sucks, the whole Maracanazo incident is one of my favorite football stories. Get well Ghiggia!

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Yeah, I think he's the only one alive. Apparently his condition got worse today.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
The doctors said he was going to be OK, but then his lungs started to have problems. I guess when you are 85 any injury can get serious.

Dias posted:

Yep. Fuerza Ghiggia was a trending topic in Brazil for a while, courtesy of Impedimento.org, a really good blog about South American football if you can read some Portuguese.

That blog is pretty good, I'm going to bookmark it to have something to read at work. I can understand written Portuguese and if someone from the south of Brazil is speaking, people from the north and from Portugal are pretty hard to understand.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010
man, that sucks, i'd really been hoping that he'd make it to 2014 and it sure doesn't sound like he will at this point or that even if he does he probably won't be in good enough shape to even get the "carted in to wave and smile" to treatment.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

So today colo-colo beat La U 2-0 today :D
Even after going down to 9 men they still managed to beat them :D the best thing was listening to johnny herra make up excuses :D

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 18, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

The Uruguayan Championship ended this Saturday and Nacional are the champions for second year in a row. The final against Defensor Sporting ended 1-0 with a pretty goal by Álvaro Recoba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7t7xgLS96Q

Now starts the classic team dismantling that leaves teams unable to compete internationally, Marcelo Gallardo (the coach) is leaving and around 10 players will be leaving too.

I wanted Defensor to win it. :(

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
There's a funny situation going on in the Argentinian championship right now, Arsenal and Tigre are leading the league table but if Atletico Rafael and San Martin win their respective games (only 1 game left) then Tigre are going down to the 2nd division, even if they win the league. :psyduck:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I thought this article listing "Seven Reasons Why Ronaldinho Won't Last Long at Atletico Mineiro" was pretty funny.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/6/14/seven-reasons-why-ronaldinho-wont-last-long-at-atletico-mine.html

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Polidoro posted:

I wanted Defensor to win it. :(

So, are you a Defensor fan?
I've been wondering what (local) club you support. You're obviously not a Peñarol fan and figured you didn't support Nacional either (which your post confirms, heh) because even though you said you hate Peñarol it didn't seem enough for a Nacional fan.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

TyChan posted:

I thought this article listing "Seven Reasons Why Ronaldinho Won't Last Long at Atletico Mineiro" was pretty funny.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/6/14/seven-reasons-why-ronaldinho-wont-last-long-at-atletico-mine.html

Atletico couldn't be a bigger joke this year and yet they still managed to get the MG Cup and have had good start to this season. Can't wait for the eventual implosion. If they actually sign Adriano, it will be The Perfect Storm except the waves and thunderstorms will be bloated, overpaid Brazilian has-beens and hookers.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TyChan posted:

This made me laugh. I know it'll never happen but I pray that he would have the sense for maybe a year to get his act together and put in something resembling his old quality. He's so loving brilliant with the ball he doesn't even need to be that fast, to bad he's never gonna settle down again.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Anyone know if Corinthians x Santos will be on Globo Internacional, or any other US cable channel? Or some streams?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

HolaMundo posted:

So, are you a Defensor fan?
I've been wondering what (local) club you support. You're obviously not a Peñarol fan and figured you didn't support Nacional either (which your post confirms, heh) because even though you said you hate Peñarol it didn't seem enough for a Nacional fan.

I wouldn't say I'm a Defensor fan, I don't support anyone in particular. When I was a kid I was a Peñarol 'supporter', as in my parents bought me a kit and said I supported them. Then I started watching football and I started hating Peñarol :)

I just wanted Defensor to win it because they play better football than Nacional, that's it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
From several pages back:

Vinestalk posted:

Fox Deportes is the best channel for the US. Here's a list for all other countries.

I personally like Fox Deportes.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Sweet I have deportes. Too bad there's no English stream.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Polidoro posted:

I wouldn't say I'm a Defensor fan, I don't support anyone in particular. When I was a kid I was a Peñarol 'supporter', as in my parents bought me a kit and said I supported them. Then I started watching football and I started hating Peñarol :)

I just wanted Defensor to win it because they play better football than Nacional, that's it.

Hehe my story is pretty similar to yours, my dad and grandpa bought me Saprissa stuff but when I was old enough to understand and watch on my own I started hating them.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I still don't know why my dad bought me a Peñarol kit, he's a Nacional fan. Maybe he hated me and wanted a reason to keep doing it :(

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Corinthians knocking on the door repeatedly but Santos with the only goal so far. Cagey as hell, but the ref has kept the cards in his pocket.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

Corinthians knocking on the door repeatedly but Santos with the only goal so far. Cagey as hell, but the ref has kept the cards in his pocket.

if it continues this will go into extra time wouldn't it? (since both teams have scored away)

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
If it ends tied like now , they go directly to penalties.
Conmebol doesn't do extra time I think.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 21, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, no extra time. Straight to penalties if it stayed 1-1 on aggregate.

2-1 now after Corinthians scored on a free kick. Danilo totally unmarked on the back post. Santos flipping between "panic mode," and "too tired to give a gently caress mode." Corinthians in control pretty much.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

The numbering on Corinthians' jersey looks like it was drawn with a sharpie.

Also, Neymar is overrated.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Rekkit posted:

Also, Neymar is overrated.

Welcome to what I've been saying for ages. Also santos is going all out.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He's pretty overrated, but he's still talented as gently caress when he's actually motivated. Him and Ganso already eyeing the Olympics by the looks of it.

Rekkit posted:

The numbering on Corinthians' jersey looks like it was drawn with a sharpie.

The money that would have gone for making real kit numbers went to Adriano's hooker/booze severance package.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

I feel bad for him, the entire country is counting on him to basically win the world cup. I don't know how he will handle it when Brazil loses.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Rekkit posted:

I feel bad for him, the entire country is counting on him to basically win the world cup. I don't know how he will handle it when Brazil loses.

It's going to be like ronaldo and france 98. All the media will make up excuses as to why they lost.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there buddy. Ronaldo had like a seizure or something that day. Definitely not made up or excuse. Brazil should've won :qq: :colbert:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The inmensse pressure on Neymar and the rest of the team plus Brazil not playing the qualifiers are going to gently caress them over so much.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Rekkit posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there buddy. Ronaldo had like a seizure or something that day. Definitely not made up or excuse. Brazil should've won :qq: :colbert:

Really? I thought it was a excuse they made up (Honestly I saw it 6 months after the world cup on chilean TV, nothing was ever mentioned on australian football news.... But then again it was australia :australia:)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It was true, it wasn't known until relatively recently when the doctors spoke up if I recal correctly. Even though he played for two of the cuntiest teams ever that I hate Fat Ronaldo can do no wrong and never has :colbert:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Great game tonight, Boca deserved to win and score 2 or 3 goals at least.
Next Wednesday the first leg of the finals, Boca Juniors - Corinthians

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Boca's strikers were so terrible tonight. But massive :lol: at La U for hitting the crossbar twice.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Mouche one day will become a great striker no doubt but he makes me so angry most of the time! He doesn't care about easy chances and the only way he can score is the hard way.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Sunday La U vs Colo-Colo at el estadio national :D
:D I hope they continue their streak :D

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
River is back in Primera after beating Almirante Brown 2-0 with 2 goals by Trezeguet.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Tomorrow is going to be awesome, there's a chance of a double play-off between Tigre and Arsenal for the title and Tigre with Instituto or Central for relegation. San Lorenzo will be relegated if they lose or tie their game against San Martin, another team trying to avoid relegation.
In a sane league with a serious president nothing of this would happen.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 23, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

El Hefe posted:

River is back in Primera after beating Almirante Brown 2-0 with 2 goals by Trezeguet.

Glad to know a Frenchman scored today.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Kurtofan posted:

Glad to know a Frenchman scored today.

Hahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU