Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Naky posted:

Plants vs Zombies supposedly doesn't support my Galaxy Nexus as I can't buy it, but it supports my old HTC Desire. I would assume it's a screen/ICS thing, rather than a lack of features in that case.

It being an ICS thing is pretty likely, major changes and all that.

precision posted:

It seems random as poo poo, too. My phone can run Minecraft but not Dungeon Raid? :psyduck:

Given that it runs so so badly on both my tablet and my phone even though it's available for both, I'm going to go with "The dev for the Android version of Minecraft sucks". It probably shouldn't be available for my phone at all since it seems like RAM is a large part of the problem.

Thermopyle, can you specify things like proc speed, number of cores or RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Penguissimo posted:

The Ice Cream Sandwich SDK is old enough that, if it were a human child, it would be teething by now, but the world's largest game company hasn't yet felt the need to update their most popular games to work with the new OS.

After I posted that, I checked their forums out of curiousity thanks to Google and it appears as though they've released an update for it back in April that gives it ICS support.

... but they only put it on Amazon apps. A service available only for Americans.

I am not American. :(

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Thermopyle posted:

How it actually (is supposed to) works is that as you develop the app you request certain features from the OS to support the feature you're developing.

Then when you publish the app, the Play store looks at the features your app requests from the Android OS, and then when people are browsing the store or whatever only shows them apps that don't request features your phone doesn't have.

The developer can then blacklist certain devices if they want to for some reason.

For example, this is from the developer console from one of my apps:

Thanks for this insight, it was quite enlightening to see how this actually works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo you guys aren't kidding about how good Where's My Water is. I thought "oh, cute casual puzzle game? Like Angry Birds then?" but wow it is so much better than that.

Seriously, it should be mandatory for anyone with a smartphone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Play it on a tablet, it's even better (finer control to scratch that perfectionist itch).

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Have any of you heard of this game called Dangerous?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYytg9xp3DM

quote:

Dangerous is a 3D living world space sandbox combat RPG with an epic story.
"Dangerous is without a doubt (no, seriously) the most robust space adventure available..." - 148apps.com (4/5 stars)
2011 Achievement for Outstanding Original Soundtrack -iFanzine.com
"Another interesting feature was the "Romance" option (yup.. I kid you not) with mini games.." - unboundgamer.com
"An astounding level of depth takes Dangerous where few space sims have gone before ... offering factional allegiance and NPC partner systems that are sure to whet the genre fan’s appetite." - ifanzine.com
"This game is basically an Eve Online clone ... Galaxy on Fire 2 while a fun game is child's play compared to [Dangerous]" - va2k0r on TouchArcade forums
*** LAUNCH SALE PRICE ***
(Please test with the LITE version for free before you buy: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avyn.dangerouslite)
** Email us if you need a refund after Google's 15 minutes. We want you to be happy with your purchase. **
Dangerous is an epic 3D open and living world space sandbox combat RPG with an engaging story. You have been awoken from cryo sleep a century later, and must discover the truth. Are you the feared war criminal who will destroy all life or the savior of the universe? Gather your wingmen and travel the galaxy in search of answers. Along the way, you'll encounter a Universal AI, a shadow group pulling history's strings, a princess, a schizophrenic robot, a beautiful lieutenant of the Royal Navy, a fearsome mercenary, a suicidal slave, and a playboy fighter ace.
Dangerous is a game that is 3 years in the making! It features:
- 3D real-time sandbox game built with Unity game engine
- metallic shader, lighting, particle effects, lens flare, explosions, fx
- space combat RPG with extensive skill tree
- open and living universe where 600+ ships fly around autonomously
- epic story with dialogue system that allows real choices
- recruit 6 wingmen and 2 can fly with you at a time
- even discover romance with another wing pilot
- recruit 5 corporate pilots who can fly trade routes on your behalf
- trade, fight, mine, pirate, scan for derelict ships and wormholes
- many mission types: epic, freelance, dynamic, wingman acquisition, faction loyalty
- deep combat mechanics, AI, and faction standings
- 20+ ships, 180+ modules, 33 solar systems with a unique follow-through-warp mechanic
- 15+ factions to vie favor or destroy
- cinematic camera shows you the action when it happens
- fly manually with or without Newtonian physics or use autopilots exclusively
- 22 track theatrical-quality award-winning soundtrack by renown composer, Sean Beeson
NOTE: Dangerous uses a lot of memory during play, so if you have an older device, please close extraneous programs and reboot prior to playing. You may also turn on the low polygon-count space stations in the Systems menu inside of stations.
We've had reports of problems with the HTC EVO 4G and some Samsung Galaxy models. Please try the free version before buying to make sure Dangerous works with your phone or tablet.

I just played through the tutorial in the lite version and could not throw $5 at them fast enough. It's basically X3 on your phone. Combat seemed easiest using autopilot/target functions, which makes it play a lot like EVE, but there's also support for tilt control and on-screen d-pad so you can dogfight too. Taking a look at what's available in the game I was just flat out astounded, for instance they stole the 'hire NPC pilots to go work for you trading things so you make money without doing anything' from the X series.

The plot doesn't seem fantastic but honestly I barely care. Space dogfights in my spaceship with space pirates in space on my space phone!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That game looks pretty neat, but parts of its sales pitch just lose me. I might still try out the demo, but being a space dood wooing women isnt the sort of adventures I'm looking for.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

quote:

"This game is basically an Eve Online clone ... Galaxy on Fire 2 while a fun game is child's play compared to [Dangerous]" - va2k0r on TouchArcade forums

Well if va2k0r gives it thumbs up then it MUST be a great game.

My first thought was how similar it looks to Galaxy on Fire 2 which I enjoyed immensely, so I'll definitely be trying this one out. I hope it's longer than GoF2.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
When I was looking at that the other day, I glazed after "Along the way" ("gently caress this poker poo poo, just look at all my cards!") and they lost me completely at the romance bit. Glad to hear that someone made it past the stupid write-up and it turns out to be good, I'll give it a shot.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How do I level up in Dungeon Raid? I fill up my XP bar (green bar) the entire way, but my level is always lvl 1 once I die.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Naky posted:

Plants vs Zombies supposedly doesn't support my Galaxy Nexus as I can't buy it, but it supports my old HTC Desire. I would assume it's a screen/ICS thing, rather than a lack of features in that case.

I got it when it was free from the amazon AOTD. It installed fine on my galaxy nexus when I got it. Actually played it the other day.

Edit:
read this AFTER I posted

Naky posted:

After I posted that, I checked their forums out of curiousity thanks to Google and it appears as though they've released an update for it back in April that gives it ICS support.

... but they only put it on Amazon apps. A service available only for Americans.

I am not American. :(

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Anyone else playing Rage of Bahamut?

It's a pretty neat card game with weekly challenges and battles where you can team up (or go alone) with your crew to defeat dragons and bunnies (??). I find the interesting thing about the game is that.. if you have doubles.. you can use them to evolve each other into more powerful cards for your deck. If you don't fancy that, you can sacrifice your doubles to "enhance" cards in your deck to increase the attack power even more.

The art style is really awesome, and I think I've heard the game originated in Japan. It's free to downloading with IAP card packs which aren't totally necessary to enjoy the game. The game gives you enough chances to get free card packs and rare cards through logging in daily, making posts on Twitter, and advancing in team or solo events such as hunting down treasure or murdering Dragons.

Here are some sample cards:

You can't get more metal than a loving KNIGHT riding a ARMORED RAPTOR into battle.

My referral code is BOC24649 which gives you a special rare card and free rupies for inputting it (it obviously gives me a free rare too) so if anyone decides to give it a shot.. right after the tutorial just throw my code in. I'd really appreciate it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

Thermopyle, can you specify things like proc speed, number of cores or RAM?

Nope.

You can kind of do it in a roundabout way by blacklisting every device known to Google and then only allowing devices that you know meet your requirement. The problem with that is that you have to keep up with the thousands of devices out there and all the new devices that get released. Of course, given the problems people have with games not being compatible with their device, I wouldn't be surprised if thats what some devs do...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jet Ready Go posted:

I refuse to play this because almost every single ad on the Pandora app is for this game, and they're obnoxious overlay-the-Pandora-UI-until-you-click-a-minuscule-close-button type of ads.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
Incompatibility chat: If you root and change the dpi of your display you may find yourself erroneously flagged as incompatible - we've had a couple of those with Sentinel 3. We've also had a couple of odd cases where it seemed "every device known to Google" wasn't comprehensive - we hadn't blacklisted them but the Market didn't know what the gently caress.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tag Plastic posted:

Incompatibility chat: If you root and change the dpi of your display you may find yourself erroneously flagged as incompatible - we've had a couple of those with Sentinel 3. We've also had a couple of odd cases where it seemed "every device known to Google" wasn't comprehensive - we hadn't blacklisted them but the Market didn't know what the gently caress.

Yeah, I've gotten some of that poo poo as well. Never able to figure out why.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jet Ready Go posted:

It's a pretty neat card game with weekly challenges and battles where you can team up (or go alone) with your crew to defeat dragons and bunnies (??). I find the interesting thing about the game is that.. if you have doubles.. you can use them to evolve each other into more powerful cards for your deck. If you don't fancy that, you can sacrifice your doubles to "enhance" cards in your deck to increase the attack power even more.

The art style is really awesome, and I think I've heard the game originated in Japan. It's free to downloading with IAP card packs which aren't totally necessary to enjoy the game. The game gives you enough chances to get free card packs and rare cards through logging in daily, making posts on Twitter, and advancing in team or solo events such as hunting down treasure or murdering Dragons.

Here are some sample cards:

You can't get more metal than a loving KNIGHT riding a ARMORED RAPTOR into battle.

My referral code is BOC24649 which gives you a special rare card and free rupies for inputting it (it obviously gives me a free rare too) so if anyone decides to give it a shot.. right after the tutorial just throw my code in. I'd really appreciate it.

I am interested and I am going to give it a try inspite of the fact that it uses Mobage. Fuckin Mobage...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

On PC yes, and its an amazing game.

Well, I wasted £2.50 because downloading the data took more than 15 minutes & I can't see the top of the inventory, which leaves me stranded on the second screen. Well gently caress.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

How do I level up in Dungeon Raid? I fill up my XP bar (green bar) the entire way, but my level is always lvl 1 once I die.

Character Level and Class Level are two different things. You level classes the same way you unlock them, and Class Level persists across characters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The graphics in this game are so amazing, I'm tempted to buy it.

Wizards RPG

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

coyo7e posted:

The graphics in this game are so amazing, I'm tempted to buy it.

Wizards RPG

The description is amazing too:

quote:

Note: this game is best viewed on and designed to be played on phones, but it will run in a centered window on tablet devices.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's the only thing I hate about Androminion, it's unplayable on tablets. :(

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
In the old thread someone was asking how to complete level 6 in Radiant Defense. Here's how I did it:
I have purchased the money boosting tower (I don't think it's possible without it). You need to get one of those down in your kill zone ASAP in order to have a chance. It's possible to do this by the first level of pink blobs (level 2 or 3).

The path should be :
code:
|--|  |---|
|  |  |   |
|  |--|   |
|         |
|   |-| K |
----| |-| |-X
--------|
with your first guns where the k is. That way they get to fire at the stragglers with the biggest possible gap between them and the end of the wave. I built 2xguns, money booster, gun, lazer, then one of each other tower after most were fully upgraded.

If you ever finish a level and saw that a bunch of enemies got killed outside your kill zone, replay it and either add a money booster or more towers. I finished with over $3k.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am interested and I am going to give it a try inspite of the fact that it uses Mobage. Fuckin Mobage...

Whats the deal with Mobage?

This isnt snark, I honestly was just asking.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Good thing I tried Dangerous Lite before buying it because the thing auto-crashes on start up for me (Galaxy Nexus). I sent the report in to them, so I'll try it again in a month or two I guess.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Naky posted:

Good thing I tried Dangerous Lite before buying it because the thing auto-crashes on start up for me (Galaxy Nexus). I sent the report in to them, so I'll try it again in a month or two I guess.

I ended up downloading Dangerous Lite as well, it crashed the first time I launched, the second time it ran fine. (Incredible 2) I quit and reinstalled after getting broken out of cryo-stasis-- I really could not stand the story at all.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Potsticker posted:

I ended up downloading Dangerous Lite as well, it crashed the first time I launched, the second time it ran fine. (Incredible 2) I quit and reinstalled after getting broken out of cryo-stasis-- I really could not stand the story at all.

It auto crashes for me after every start. I can try reinstalling it, I guess.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Jet Ready Go posted:

Whats the deal with Mobage?

This isnt snark, I honestly was just asking.

Well, just speaking from recent experience with the Tiny Tower conversion they did, I can already tell I hate them. For one, it's their useless social media functions they force on you. For two, stripping out all useful social media functions. For three, useless notifications that there is no way to stop ("One of your residents updated their Bitbook!"). For four, stripping out all useful notifications ("Your floor can be restocked."). For five, no offline functionality like the original and a slow network that damages micro-gaming. For six, the port is just plain broken, laggy, and generally awful.

That's just the one game, though, so there may be other reasons.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Naky posted:

It auto crashes for me after every start. I can try reinstalling it, I guess.

Uninstalled, not reinstalled. Sorry for the confusion. After the crash I just started the game up again and it loaded fine. Though I was wary at first about the scenario, the horrible writing turned me off before I even got to flying a ship.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I uninstalled and reinstalled it and had the same problem, however since it's a small download and I'm on wifi anyway I tried one last thing - I uninstalled and reinstalled, but this time I refused to let the phone screen turn off while it was downloading and now it works.

So their installer blows chunks and doesn't auto-resume/thinks the download is done when your screen turns off it seems. Or at least it does on this phone.

I've been playing it for about 15 minutes now and it's not bad but there's just something about the controls and combat that's kind of bothering me. I can't put my finger on it but it just seems unresponsive or something without actually lagging. Gonna keep playing though, maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Gunman Clive is the free app of the day on Amazon, if you haven't bought it already... :toot:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Gunman Clive is the free app of the day on Amazon, if you haven't bought it already... :toot:

drat, beat me to it. I was wavering on whether or not to buy it, but I guess the answer is "No, take it for free!".

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

drat, beat me to it. I was wavering on whether or not to buy it, but I guess the answer is "No, take it for free!".

If you do get it as the free app, make sure you rate it, its a *really* solid game and the first touch d-pad that hasn't annoyed me (after locking it in place.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Holy good timing, Batman; I was about to buy it yesterday but got distracted! :D

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010
Holy crap, Delver is on page one of the Top New Paid Apps list, and page three of the Top Paid Arcade and Action games. I thought'd be pretty niche, I don't quite understand why it's doing so well.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Interrupt posted:

Holy crap, Delver is on page one of the Top New Paid Apps list, and page three of the Top Paid Arcade and Action games. I thought'd be pretty niche, I don't quite understand why it's doing so well.

Its a good game :)

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Its a good game :)

Agreed, it's an excellent game!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I emailed the machinarium dev, they apologized, I shouldn't have been able to buy it with a 800x480 device. Apparently they're changed the permissions & promised to try & rectify it in the next update. This is fine by me as I'd prefer to play it than get a refund.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Interrupt posted:

It's a good game, it visually looks a lot like minecraft, and all the Android gaming blogs I've read have given it pretty great coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Naky posted:

I just upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus myself and it looks like all the Popcap games (PvZ, Peggle, Bejeweled 2 and that other one) don't come up as compatible on the Play Store. Pretty dissapointing :(

• Locked thread