Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Schubalts posted:

I feel the need to spread the word of the Age of Ishtaria April Fools event.

Age of Ishtaria is a pretty good card collecting game, that gives you a ton of free funbucks just for playing the game regularly. You can get 20/30/50/100 funbucks (100 funbucks is $1) per challenge (achievements, like fully clear a quest area) you complete and there are 79 of them, you get 10 funbucks each time you level up, and you get 20-100 funbucks every first clear of a quest. Events can also give out funbucks as rewards, like the recent bingo event giving out over 1500 for a full completion.

You can also buy cash shop items (the usual energy potions) without spending a cent by using 'medals' you get for selling any 3* or higher card. You should max out the card's loyalty points (use that card in quests or the 'pvp' arena) beforehand, as doing that increases the medals you get. Evolving a card to +1 or +2 will double or triple the medals you get, since it's treated as selling 2/3 copies of the card at once.

Is it entirely buff dudes and homoerotic innuendo? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Echophonic posted:

The event mission is raiding Shinra HQ, with Tifa and Sephiroth unlockable at the higher levels. No idea how hard that's going to be, but we'll find out I guess.

Edit: Getting to floor 30 and getting Tifa is pretty easy if you've cleared all the available dungeons. You also get a ton of orbs. Got enough to make and almost hone a Thundara from the first 30 floors. Good event dungeon, I hope they're all cool like this.

I just hit Floors 51-55 and the Stamina cost/stage jumped to 10 per. Combined with actually noticing the hits I'm taking, I'm not sure my 20ish team will be able to get to Sephiroth.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SilverMike posted:

I just hit Floors 51-55 and the Stamina cost/stage jumped to 10 per. Combined with actually noticing the hits I'm taking, I'm not sure my 20ish team will be able to get to Sephiroth.

Yeah, I hit a prety rough patch after getting Tifa (36-40). I cleared the boss after her, but I couldn't Master it to get the growth eggs I needed to get Tifa up to speed. Guess it's time for some Gil Grasslands to get my equipment ranked up.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of the original 1996 Tomb Raider has made its way to Android. You can grab it for 99 cents.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How do I enter the nude code?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Its a $50 IAP.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A thread for Final Fantasy Record Keeper has been started.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Today I learned that the iCade Mobile and other iCades don't work well with RetroArch, because they're keyboard emulators with nonstandard keyboard handling.

What's the current cheap Bluetooth gamepad choice for a Nexus 7? The Red Samurai looks like it'd hit all buttons (dirt cheap, surprisingly decent reviews) if GameStop didn't appear to be allergic to carrying it in any of the dozen GameStops within a short drive.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

mrkillboy posted:

A port of the original 1996 Tomb Raider has made its way to Android. You can grab it for 99 cents.

omg that sounds like a nightmare. The controls were bad enough on Playstation...

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

delfin posted:

Today I learned that the iCade Mobile and other iCades don't work well with RetroArch, because they're keyboard emulators with nonstandard keyboard handling.

What's the current cheap Bluetooth gamepad choice for a Nexus 7? The Red Samurai looks like it'd hit all buttons (dirt cheap, surprisingly decent reviews) if GameStop didn't appear to be allergic to carrying it in any of the dozen GameStops within a short drive.

I got one of these a month back. Works like a charm on my 2012 N7.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Telescopic-Controller-IP117/dp/B00MUG3JPU

Biggest complaint is that it isn't very portable, but that's kind of to be expected.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Schubalts posted:

Age of Ishtaria is a pretty good card collecting game, that gives you a ton of free funbucks just for playing the game regularly.

I played AoI for a while, but I finally got tired of the constant feeling of needing to play it all the time to keep up. Like, it's true that you can keep a pretty steady flow of free in game currency by doing the weekly events, but if you don't hammer on them pretty constantly, you'll fall behind and end up with just a paltry little reward. Plus, at least when I quit a few months ago, a good portion of the events skirted the pay-to-win line pretty closely. If you wanted to be on top of the arena events, you had to be pretty much perma-chugging stamina potions. Similarly with the PvE events you had to be grinding out stages all the time or you weren't going to end up at the top of the pile. And the best rewards were always like 'top 50 players' or whatever, which never seems sensible when the player base is a variable number of people. Something percentage based would probably work better.

And the biggest problem with it was that the devs apparently don't understand how notifications work. Even if I turned them off, they stayed on. Even if I turned them off through the phone apps menu, they stayed on. And they didn't use the normal notification that every other app uses. They used something that causes a message to pop up in the middle of the screen which you have to click 'OK' on to get rid of. And which will otherwise keep your phone awake. I woke up one morning to find my phone was nearly dead even though it was plugged in, because it wanted to tell me in the middle of the night that some stupid gold card pack special was ending soon.

I got some fun times out of it for a while, though, and if you do have the itch to throw gold tickets into the card machine and keep hoping this time you'll hit the jackpot, it's definitely a good game for that. But, at least for me, it really wore out its welcome after a while.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Is there a game where it combines the sperglord collect-a-thon part of PAD/Brave Frontier etc. with the puzzle mechanics of Bejeweled/Puzzle Quest that isn't terrible like the Marvel Puzzle Quest?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Geektox posted:

Is there a game where it combines the sperglord collect-a-thon part of PAD/Brave Frontier etc. with the puzzle mechanics of Bejeweled/Puzzle Quest that isn't terrible like the Marvel Puzzle Quest?

Have you looked at Terra battle?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
DuckTales Remastered has made its way to Android. You can solve a mystery or rewrite history for $10.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
"Sorcery! 3: The Seven Serpents" will be out for Android on the 16th of April.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well reviewed table tennis game Table Tennis Touch just got a huge compatibility update so its no longer restricted to Lollipop devices. It's really quite fun.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Doctor Epitaph posted:

I got one of these a month back. Works like a charm on my 2012 N7.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Telescopic-Controller-IP117/dp/B00MUG3JPU

Biggest complaint is that it isn't very portable, but that's kind of to be expected.

Can this be remapped to act like a mouse? Thinking Civilization over Limelight

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
San Juan the board game is on sale for one dollar. For that price it's a decent lightweight version of Puerto Rico that inspired Race for the Galaxy.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

San Juan the board game is on sale for one dollar. For that price it's a decent lightweight version of Puerto Rico that inspired Race for the Galaxy.

This is all French to me.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"San Juan" the board game is on sale for one dollar. For that price it's a decent lightweight version of "Puerto Rico" that inspired "Race for the Galaxy".

Better?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

In English please.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In English please.

"Saint John" the board game is on sale for one dollar. For that price it's a decent lightweight version of "Rich Port" that inspired "Galaxia: la conquista"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Saint John" the board game is on sale for one dollar. For that price it's a decent lightweight version of "Rich Port" that inspired "Galaxia: la conquista"

:golfclap:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think what people are asking for is what this really means. Here you go:

A clergyman named John, known for his good deeds and his performance of three miracles, and who is also a board game, is on sale for one dollar, which is a unit of currency in the United State of America. For that price, it's a not-great-but-not-bad interpretation, that won't weigh you down, of "A wealthy place for ships to dock" that was a precursor and contributing factor in the making of "A big place with stars and planets that has been subjected to rule by way of military force, by one entity, though multiple entities were attempting it".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Cool, thanks. Funny how phones are a hotspot for board games.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Amazon has a small Spring Sale going on.
Terraria and Final Fantasy VI are half off. Hitman GO and Goat Simulator for a buck.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

Have you looked at Terra battle?

I have yeah, and while it's a good game, it lacks the puzzle bit.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm not quite getting the love for FFRK. I played probably fifteen or so dungeons, and it is a copy-pasted Brave Frontier kind of game with Final Fantasy skins stapled on. It employs all the usual mechanics of awkward menus, stamina systems, and other poo poo that I figured most people are tired of at this point that other than that shiny veneer I don't see how anyone would want to play it after a few hours. The actual battles in the game are awkward as hell too. Why can't I set spells to Auto? For that matter, why the hell can I only use a certain spell twice in a whole dungeon (or more if I grind to upgrade it!) when some dungeons have maybe seven fights but others have ten or more? Why isn't it per skirmish? I ended up just using all physical attackers and hitting Auto, because even the physical 'spells' seemed to MAYBE increase damage by like 10% tops at the base level, so they didn't hook me enough to want to even grind to upgrade them. Then I realized I was playing a game that was playing itself for minor incremental gains and that that was stupid, so I uninstalled it.

I just don't get the hook of "let's make the game as awkward as possible so people will get annoyed and pay us!" It just makes me want to, you know, not play it.
It's not even that. The whole thing is based off nostalgia from other games. But its just the same thing over and over. Its basically fan service via retro skins. Remembering a particular bosses strengths or weaknesses counts for nothing. I just think it's a bit transparent.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah, not being a big FF guy, I'm really not feeling this game. I think it'd be fine if there weren't like a million layers of menus for everything.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Geektox posted:

Yeah, not being a big FF guy, I'm really not feeling this game. I think it'd be fine if there weren't like a million layers of menus for everything.

It's literally only for fans of FF, there are better versions of this game on both app stores.

I have too many posts in the FF megathread and FFRK is only ok. There's too many great Android games for me to give a poo poo for long, but it's a decent smoke break game.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There's too many great Android games for me to give a poo poo for long, but it's a decent smoke break game.

Can you throw some out there?

I was on android YEARS ago and switched to iphone. Only to recently switch back this past week. And the OP is basically the same since I left android about 3 years ago.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

Can you throw some out there?

I was on android YEARS ago and switched to iphone. Only to recently switch back this past week. And the OP is basically the same since I left android about 3 years ago.

I'll make a new thread. What are the essentials? Here's what I've got:

Freemium:
Puzzle and Dragons
Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Terra Battle
Heavenstrike Rivals

Interactive fiction:
Sorcery 1,2,3
80 Days
Lone Wolf Saga (not the new one)

Strategy:
Hoplite

Weirdness:
Mr. Aaaah

Obviously that's not enough, but I'm doing this one handed while I try to put a baby down for a nap. Keep them coming

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
Board:
Galaxy Trucker
San Juan
Ticket to Ride
Carcassone
Elder Sign

Multiplayer:
Bounden
Spaceteam

Arcade:
Super Hexagon
Crossy Road

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Pixel Dungeon
Shattered Pixel Dungeon

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
One finger death punch
Idle oil tycoon
Plague inc

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Strategy/RPG/Lose Your Free Time:
King of Dragon Pass

Card:
Hearthstone
Scrolls (hey, I like it enough I guess, and the f2p is good)
Star Realms
Calculords

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If turn-based two-player puzzle games aren't too narrow a genre then I love the poo poo out of Matching with Friends and Tic Tactics. I play those two more than anything else. I suppose you can add whatever Scrabble clone is the best cos people love that.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Sport:

Madden Mobile

rpg:

quest keeper

frogger:

crossy road

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
Xcom enemy unknown, shadowrun dragonfall, baldurs gate 1 and 2 and Icewind dale are all full ports of the original games that run well on android tablets...

Edit: and shortyz is the best crossword app I've seen.
Oh, and bubble upnp for all your media streaming needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
puzzle platformers:

BADLAND

LIMBO

Ninja platformer:

SHADOW BLADE

all very good games

• Locked thread