Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

I review books with out reading them from cover to cover posted:

I thought Ready Player One was complete poo poo. I only got a couple of chapters in, just more pointless references haphazardly stapled together into an abomination. The 80's, so loving what? I'm glad I didn't buy it.

I actually loved Ready Player One. The 80's is what I grew up with and reading the book was an extremely nostalgic experience for me. The story itself might have lacked somewhat overall (certainly it wasn't a 5 star novel), but it was well written, and didn't ramble through out.

If you're a child or fan of the 80's I'd definitely give it a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

HUMAN FISH posted:

How the hell is it YA if it's targeted for people who grew up in the 80's?

YA has more to do with writing style than subject matter. I think the target audience of the novel is young males age 8 to 18 since the entire premise of the novel takes place inside an MMORPG/SH, which the predominate age bracket playing is quickly shifting from late 20's early 30's to preadolescence to late teens.

Us old folks aren't the majority of online gamers anymore :smith:

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

sighnoceros posted:

No problem, thanks for making the thread! I was looking at The Maze Runner at the same time as Incarceron and chose Incarceron, I may have to go back and pick that up. And Unwind sounds awesome too. The others I hadn't heard of so those are going on my list now.

I literally just finished Unwind, and It was such a killer book, I had to crawl out of bed and remark about it. I've never been much for most YA books. I like hard fantasy, comedic fantasy (think Discworld), alternate history (Guns of the South) and some science fiction assuming it wasn't written by Heinland.

Unwind is perhaps one of the best novels I've read this year, and I've read some pretty good books thus far. I highly recommend it to anybody looking for a good book they can't put down.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
I'm surprised you haven't selected The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. As far as I'm aware, that was the book that was considered the genre definer for young adult. Tho I admit I haven't read the story since I was in high school myself.

If you wanted to look at some classics, there is always the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series.

Or did I miss the point, and you're looking for more modern examples of YA that would be easier for high schoolers to identify with. (since I don't think what I enjoyed in high school are what modern kids do)