Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Oh I did. That trailer played to stunned silence when I saw it; like the same kind of silence you'd get during a documentary about the Khmer Rogue. I did what another guy in this thread did the second time I saw "WALL-E"; waited outside until the trailers were over so I wouldn't have to see it again. I was with friends and they said, "C'mon, how bad could it be?" when I told them I would wait, then when I came back in one of them said, "If only I'd known, I'd have been waiting out there with you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Trailer for Robert Zemeckis'new live action film Flight was released today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtCMIe9oj8

It looks interesting enough, although the trailer seems to give away a lot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robert Zemeckis directing live action is an automatic "see" for me but even with that fact, that trailer is pretty engrossing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Worried that it will explicitly state at the end that it was the hand of god which sets that plane down safely, sort of like Contact or Signs. Did anyone else get that sense from the trailer?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I can't believe this is his first live action film since Cast Away :psyduck:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 7, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Worried that it will explicitly state at the end that it was the hand of god which sets that plane down safely, sort of like Contact or Signs. Did anyone else get that sense from the trailer?

Why would that worry you?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kiimo posted:

Deus Ex Machina is a lousy way to end it if there is no build up towards it.

I don't think it'll end that way though. If we are going to make Cast Away comparisons, that didn't have a supernatural element to it. (IIRC, it's been a while)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

That's how Zemeckis likes his trailers. He explicitly wants the whole story in the trailer so that audiences know what they're getting. The trailer for Back To The Future has everything up until the last lightning strike that sends Marty home.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jedit posted:

... he said, admitting he had not seen Lady In The Water or The Village.

Nothing strange about people groaning at the thought of a movie from the arse of M Night Shyamalan.

Yeah, I just thought it was funny and strange that apparently most theatres had that happen. Like, I saw videos of it (the)happening online and was surprised at how pervasive his suckiness has become.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That Flight trailer is great. I think giving away the "twist" is necessary for the movie to pique your interest and to stand out. It's made me much more likely to go see it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

GonSmithe posted:

Very excited, and so glad to see Zemeckis return from the Uncanny Valley with his wits about him.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GonSmithe posted:

I have to agree with the give away a lot part, but at the same time, I wasn't actually surprised by anything that was "revealed." All the story notes seemed like they were to be expected, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how it ends up there. For some reason, the trailer reminded me of the trailer to Unbreakable (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f1uCWKZQs), which has absolutely nothing but premise, which I think is more intriguing than the helping of plot that we got.

Also, this sort of explains John Goodman going through some stuff on Community.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

kiimo posted:

It looked good otherwise, and that always spoils my enjoyment of a film. The story of someone getting religion because of an interventionist god conjured up by special effects is the dumbest kind of preachiness.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Farbtoner posted:

I don't know if it's the same way for everyone else in the rest of the world, but in America we have a somewhat unique way of advertising foreign films: we completely obscure the fact that the film is in another language since people have a weird aversion to subtitles. It's kind of interesting from a production standpoint to see how they edit it (Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Micmacs looks way more goofy because the trailer is just all the non-vocal slapstick and weird side characters, Pan's Labyrinth used two minutes of effects shots that made it look like it was a pure fantasy movie and not a historical drama with a few fantasy sequences)

Here's another great example of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqKTtcp-WY

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I didn't :confused:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

What does SVP stand for?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cacator posted:

What does SVP stand for?

What specifically are you referring to? If it is anything I've posted it stands for Senior Vice President. SVPs and EVPs (Executive Vice President) are the levels that are in charge of making trailers for studios.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

kiimo posted:

What specifically are you referring to? If it is anything I've posted it stands for Senior Vice President. SVPs and EVPs (Executive Vice President) are the levels that are in charge of making trailers for studios.

Ok, your OP had multiple instances of it and for us not in the industry or working for companies that don't have an extensive hierarchy of vice presidents it was not familiar.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cacator posted:

Ok, your OP had multiple instances of it and for us not in the industry or working for companies that don't have an extensive hierarchy of vice presidents it was not familiar.

Yeah sorry about that. Corporate acronyms truly take over your brain as you age.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The big problem with that trailer is "Gimme Shelter". I mean, it's a classic song, but it should probably just be retired from trailers, because it seems like it's been in HUNDREDS OF THEM. Grraaaaah! :argh:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Spatula City posted:

The big problem with that trailer is "Gimme Shelter". I mean, it's a classic song, but it should probably just be retired from trailers, because it seems like it's been in HUNDREDS OF THEM. Grraaaaah! :argh:

Why ? Because it's a great song. John Goodman enters the scene and the Stones kick in, that's how you sell a movie.

Flight looks really interesting as it seems on a real crash minus the lawsuit. The actual pilot who put down a crippled plane and saved part of the people on board in a way no one could reproduce in a simulator passed away a month ago. Errol Morris did an intervew session with him and it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPu0chBQeUk

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 8, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"The Exorcist" is easily one of the most acclaimed and famous horror movies of all time, and caused a great deal of controversy to boot. One of the trailers was even subject to controversy; I've heard it was pulled alternately because it was too startling, and because the strobe lighting caused seizures.

TV spots took a less is more approach. This spot uses only one shot from the film, while this one features only a narration over the poster artwork. Of course, one of the many attractions the movie had to offer was it's controversy, so this spot was made. It takes the same tactic as the "Pink Flamingos" trailer, by not actually showing anything from the movie, just dazed and shocked audience members.

John Boorman's legendarily incoherent follow-up, "Exorcist II: The Heretic", got a big promotional push as well. A cryptic teaser that gives you no information on the story, but helpfully reminds you of the first film's existence. The full trailer is very reminiscent of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" teaser kiimo put in the OP. This trailer is actually quite indicative of the film; a jumbled mess of occasionally stunning images with a vague idea as to what the hell is happening.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 8, 2012

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Unless I missed it, how come no one has posted the greatest trailer of all time?

Stunt Rock

It's super magic.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Doctor Eggman is less "oh no the russians" than Robotnik.
Wreck-it Ralph will be movie of the year if Robotnik appears throughout the movie and they just start calling him Eggman halfway through without even acknowledging the change.

kaujot posted:

I didn't actually see the video of the trailer in that link, so here's an embed of the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow
Could've done without "Django is off the chain," but otherwise goddamn does it look like Inglourious Basterds really was a turning point for Tarantino.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

TetsuoTW posted:

Could've done without "Django is off the chain," but otherwise goddamn does it look like Inglourious Basterds really was a turning point for Tarantino.

I got that feeling too. They feel like proper movies that will appeal to more than just a subset of cinephiles, but with enough winks towards the fans of all his earlier works.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure Contact never once says that the hand of god or any reasonable facsimile does anything whatsoever in that movie, it's about as atheistic as movies come, and the themes of faith are actually themes of faith in our fellow man and not deities, this is one of my favorite movies so I felt like it was necessary to correct you. Signs, on the other hand, is a very apt choice to refer to.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Skwirl posted:

Unless I missed it, how come no one has posted the greatest trailer of all time?

Stunt Rock

It's super magic.

Holy poo poo is that a wizard

e: Yeah that's a wiz holy poo poo is that a Dracula

Shanty fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 11, 2012

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Vagabundo posted:

The problem with that argument is that his movies have gotten progressively shittier. The scripts he writes suck poo poo and the work for hire movie he did sucked even more poo poo, more than Lady in the Water.

He deserves to have people groan or laugh when his name shows up in a trailer.

The disappointing thing is that his name at the end of a trailer used to be a GOOD thing, rather than the joke it is now. In fact, it made the teaser trailer for Lady In The Water one of my favorites of that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF6g0-IkKCk

I remember people gasping at the end of this in the theater, and buzzing about it later. The movie wasn't very good, but as a short 1 minute film I still love this trailer.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 13, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

The scripts he writes suck poo poo and the work for hire movie he did sucked even more poo poo, more than Lady in the Water.

You're confused. Every movie M. Night's directed was also written by him.

He's a good director, but I checked out around the time of Lady in the Water. I think he actually needs to do something work-for-hire: he could make a pretty good comeback by directing a lean, mean thriller from *somebody else's* script (and by NOT PUTTING HIS NAME ON THE POSTER/TRAILER)

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 13, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Max22 posted:

He's a good director, but I checked out around the time this movie came out.
I'm guessing you never tried to watch The Last Airbender.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm guessing you never tried to watch The Last Airbender.

A bad director couldn't have made The Sixth Sense or Signs*. But a good director can easily make something lovely, especially if he's also the screenwriter and the script is garbage.

*Yes I know 50% of you are about to disagree with me

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Max22 posted:

You're confused. Every movie M. Night's directed was also written by him.

Damning with faint praise.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Max22 posted:

A bad director couldn't have made The Sixth Sense or Signs*. But a good director can easily make something lovely, especially if he's also the screenwriter and the script is garbage.

If he ever was a good director, the title is revoked for making The Last Airbender. Null and void. We're not just talking about a slip-up or bad production circumstances. TLA is something more severely, jaw-droppingly catastrophic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Max22 posted:

Everybody forgets Unbreakable.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like everything he did up through The Villiage* and after that I think it all went to pot, but in my optimistic mind, I think he could be good again.

*Yes I like The Village. i knew it wasn't the movie it was advertised when I went in, and I love all the acting in it so much (Besides Adrian Brody, but that's just hilarious.)

Also, an M. Night movie means we get a goddamn good score from James Newton Howard, so I am all about it, even if I don't see the movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nybble posted:

I got that feeling too. They feel like proper movies that will appeal to more than just a subset of cinephiles, but with enough winks towards the fans of all his earlier works.

I dunno what in the world you are talking about. Quentin Tarantino's movies have always had a mass appeal.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

If he ever was a good director, the title is revoked for making The Last Airbender. Null and void. We're not just talking about a slip-up or bad production circumstances. TLA is something more severely, jaw-droppingly catastrophic.
It's even more embarrassingly directed and written than "Battlefield Earth". Every shot looks off; as if the camera is positioned about ten feet to the left or right of where it should be. I've said this before, but the action sequences look like all the film was lost during editing and they had to stitch everything together using behind-the-scenes footage.

To bring this back on track, "Airbender" had a relatively decent teaser.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kiimo posted:

Everybody forgets Unbreakable.

For serious, it's only gotten better with how saturated and same-y the superhero genre is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF59dNeszFY

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Another trailer with an interesting story behind it. Even though the original "TRON" was a box office disappointment upon it's release 30 years ago, it gained an immense cult following and was a reliable catalog title for Disney. Since the late 90s, Disney had been toying with the idea of a sequel, and Jeff Bridges was always more than game.

In 2008, commercial director Joseph Kosinski (most famous for this ad for "Gears of War") convinced Disney to put up a small amount of money for a proof-of-concept trailer. This trailer would be shot in 3D and feature some of the designs that Kosinski wanted in the final film, a musical sting by Daft Punk, and a brief appearance from Jeff Bridges, who volunteered to do the trailer for free.

The proof-of-concept trailer was first shown publicly at Comic-Con 2008. Disney had their own panel to announce a few projects. At the very end of the panel, the lights were dimmed, and this trailer was played completely unannounced. The overwhelmingly positive response from the trailer, coupled with interest surrounding the project, made Disney greenlight "TRON: Legacy".

NOTE: The trailer shown at Comic Con carried the title "TR2N", and didn't have any release information on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The next trailer for The Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8eyMFCpJw

• Locked thread