Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That Flight trailer is great. I think giving away the "twist" is necessary for the movie to pique your interest and to stand out. It's made me much more likely to go see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I'm already sold on the idea and that image of a huge anime monster corpse being hauled on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

The "In Post Production" part is because it's a sale trailer for studios that leaked. Wasn't supposed to be shown to the general public.

It certainly looks like it, it looks cheap, like it's a British TV show instead of a movie. Just goes to show how much of the magic happens in post, though you can already tell it's 100% Gilliam.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Alhazred posted:

It's a parade of bad hair cuts.

Arnie looks like Mitt Romney. It's kind of freaky.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Trailer for The Equalizer remake, starring Denzel Washington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfoDg8y_LF0

Meh. I mean it's no big surprise to me that it has barely anything to do with the TV show, but it's still disappointing they churned it into generic action movie pap.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Trailer for The Look of Silence, the followup to The Act of Killing, which you should really see. Like, really. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen and it's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it right now.

http://youtu.be/aA_ZHAs4M9k

I was able to see this a month ago, while Act was spellbinding, Look was terrifying and makes you even more uncomfortable than Act. It's fantastic but also a different sort of movie. It doesn't have that kind of subversiveness that Act did - using the vehicle of drama to make the culprits tell their own story.

It was so tense that I thought it had only been 30 minutes when it ended. Also like Act it had some beautiful scenic cinematography.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

twoot posted:

Big Game: POTUS Samuel L Jackson crashes in the Finnish wilderness and a boy has to protect him from terrorists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNg9kjtOU8

Looks fun.

I love this for so many reasons:

- Finland is I think in the Alps somewhere
- It's definitely a thing in Finland to send a kid with a bow and arrow into the forest by himself as a rite of passage, oh yes
- Playing "Hey I know that guy!" with both Finnish and British/American actors
- Bad guy is Russian with 99% certainty

I sure hope they're going with dubbing if they plan to make any money with this movie.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Madurai posted:

Can you make an 80s-style postapocalypse movie today? Is this a real thing, or has someone just lifted a parody clip without realizing it? I do not know the answer to either of these questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh23-rQUi5U

So this is basically the movie equivalent of Far Cry: Blood Dragon?

If nothing else I'll probably love the score so sign me up.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Man From U.N.C.L.E. looks like a blast. A little too overstuffed of a trailer, though.

Came for the period 60s spy stuff, stayed for Jared Harris.

It is a busy trailer though, agreed. Distractingly so.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

"For a special agent you're not having a very special day are you?" shouldn't be that funny but it is. Maybe it's the delivery.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

BATMAN vs SUPERMAN shaky cam version

https://vid.me/NlzG

I think one of the voices in the beginning was Neil deGrasse Tyson, the one talking about rethinking our place in the universe.

Only part that got a reaction from me was the Bat Power Armour. I think I've seen it before but I like the idea. I'm a sucker for the extreme preparedness aspect of Batman.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Probably too much of the action sequence in the house but that's almost certainly only the kick-off scene of the movie, so there's a lot we haven't seen. And I still haven't got any idea what Tomorrowland actually is or how it works so it was still pretty light on plot reveals.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I managed to watch this blind and somehow the trailer made my jaw drop when I saw Whitey Bulger on the newspaper and realized the point of the family secret scene.

I dunno, I guess it was just well executed. I didn't expect it at all. However,

Jewmanji posted:

All that said, the silly movie cliche where the totally unhinged person has someone laughing over some trivial matter is getting old (in fact, Jack Nicholson basically did it the whole way through The Departed).

Depp's laughter made me immediately think of Jack Nicholson; not just the context, but his appearance and his voice too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

teagone posted:

Show looks ok, but I spent the last couple hours cutting this together for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dkwFObqSM

Your version made me care. I am not sure why or how but it did. She looks so happy to be Supergirl and it's a nice change of pace to the usual agonised superhero protagonist shtick.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Asiina posted:

I'm not a die hard star wars fan, but that had me grinning. They just all look like they're having so much fun.

Except Harrison Ford but that is to be expected.

I love how the first words uttered are "Real sets." They know their audience.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Want more Henry Cavill (and also Armie Hammer)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzOhTL0a440

I feel like I've seen the entire movie. What a good movie it was though! "For a special agent you're not having a very special day" is still a funny line and it was in the first trailer already.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Bond movies tend to swing from the ridiculous to the down to earth and back again over time as the producers react to the audience and the audience reacts to the movies, and I'm perfectly ready for a movie with a Blofeld (who may be actually Blofeld, since they went through all the trouble to secure the rights to Blofeld and Spectre). Especially since it's Christoph Waltz.

The ridiculousness pendulum was particularly unkind to Pierce Brosnan who went from hunting a stolen stealth gunship in GoldenEye to ice surfing in Die Another Day. Moore was Bond long enough to go from serious (Live and Let Die*) to ridiculous (Moonraker) to back to serious (Octopussy) again.

* Bear with me! I mean contemporary standards here. Live and Let Die is also a great example of that time when Bond movies decided that aping whatever's in the zeitgeist is the key to success.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 22, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Cacator posted:

Technically it was about a Soviet general who wanted to detonate a nuke in NATO territory so he could invade western Europe so it is more serious in that sense, but it's bogged down by your typical Roger Mooreisms. However the clown scene is one of the more tense scenes in the movie, you just can't think about how much time he wasted putting that makeup on.

For Your Eyes Only is really the only "serious" Moore film.

Yeah, FYEO would've been a better example. It's all kinda relative, when you have movies like Moonraker or The Man With The Golden Gun (who will he bang? we will see!)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The Martian is a bad to mediocre book that can be turned to a solid to great movie by a competent writer. The biggest problem is with the protagonist and it's a big problem, but it can be fixed without messing with the story. If anything a rounded protagonist with more depth will make the story better by bringing a psychological dimension that the book completely missed.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

f#a# posted:

The cast of The Martian gets a bit bigger, Damon gets snarkier, and we've got another one for the All Along the Watchtower pile with this new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3ioOneTy8

BonoMan posted:

It's a pretty spoilery trailer too. I mean, like some people argue, you can pretty much piece together what happens anyway and the book itself wasn't the most complex adventure either (but it sure was fun)... but still... there's a lot given away here.

I don't think it's that spoilery unless you already read the book in which case you easily make the connections between stuff showing up on screen and what happened in the book.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

They've put all their chips on that movie at Rovio. They've put 100 million euros into marketing and 80 million into production, and they've already had to lay off most of their staff. If you have money and the know-how, short their stock like hell right before the movie premieres.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

teagone posted:

Lmao, holy gently caress. Got some good chuckles throughout, but I don't know why I lost my poo poo during the part when Crowe asks Gosling to throw the gun to him and it goes through the window. Their exchange immediately after is perfect.

Exact same moment where I properly laughed out loud too. Betraying expectations is a great tool and the trailer is probably cut on purpose to rope you in by that point.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Penn Jillette and Adam Rifkin's Director's Cut: https://youtu.be/pAuh1u-IZ3k

Going into this completely cold was an amazing ride.

"Well this serial killer movie looks cheaply made and generic and OH. OHHH I GET IT!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

A person wrote in to a podcast I listen to a couple of weeks ago talking about a 360 video they viewed with a vr kit. They said right now its too easy to hit a seam and have everything fall apart.

Sometimes you just read a thing and go "poo poo, it's really 2016 isn't it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

This reminds me of "you're a oval office dancing in a hurricane."

• Locked thread