Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Farbtoner posted:

I don't know if it's the same way for everyone else in the rest of the world, but in America we have a somewhat unique way of advertising foreign films: we completely obscure the fact that the film is in another language since people have a weird aversion to subtitles. It's kind of interesting from a production standpoint to see how they edit it (Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Micmacs looks way more goofy because the trailer is just all the non-vocal slapstick and weird side characters, Pan's Labyrinth used two minutes of effects shots that made it look like it was a pure fantasy movie and not a historical drama with a few fantasy sequences)

Here's another great example of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqKTtcp-WY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Worried that it will explicitly state at the end that it was the hand of god which sets that plane down safely, sort of like Contact or Signs. Did anyone else get that sense from the trailer?

I didn't :confused:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

The scripts he writes suck poo poo and the work for hire movie he did sucked even more poo poo, more than Lady in the Water.

You're confused. Every movie M. Night's directed was also written by him.

He's a good director, but I checked out around the time of Lady in the Water. I think he actually needs to do something work-for-hire: he could make a pretty good comeback by directing a lean, mean thriller from *somebody else's* script (and by NOT PUTTING HIS NAME ON THE POSTER/TRAILER)

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 13, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm guessing you never tried to watch The Last Airbender.

A bad director couldn't have made The Sixth Sense or Signs*. But a good director can easily make something lovely, especially if he's also the screenwriter and the script is garbage.

*Yes I know 50% of you are about to disagree with me

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt and Rockwell again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard?

drat, you got my hopes up. No Sam Rockwell, unfortunately.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Why is this movie about white people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgw394ZKsis

Wow, that is a Cast Away level of giving-things-away-in-the-trailer.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

It isn't a perfect theory but I think that point contributes to the overall result that The Avengers made $625 million and The Master made $16 million.
...Yes, surely that is the reason.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Wheany posted:

Considering how far cgi has come after Toy story, it's interesting to see how much better a plastic toy film looks these days.

Let me blow your mind: that is CGI.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I can't find it online but at the movies today I saw a trailer for Ben Stiller's The Secret Life of Walter Mitty which was pretty cool.

They've been trying to remake Mitty for literally twenty years. The idea of there being a trailer out is surreal.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

soapgish posted:

Lack of variety, I think. Flipping around and catching 20-22 minutes of antics always seemed the perfect format and dosage, so the promise of over 4x as much without any deviation or breaks in the mayhem was off-putting, and nothing I saw ever told me they did anything special with bigger budgets and less restrictions.

I take it that's incorrect/inaccurate?

The first Jackass movie, which I think is the best one, definitely makes good use of the longer format: as the movie goes on, the gags start to call back to stunts we saw earlier in the movie, and the guys build up a stock of costumes, props, injuries and patches of missing hair more or less chronologically. It becomes a strangely immersive documentary in long form. If a bit doesn't land (or it's just too much to handle -- I still can't watch the paper cut scene), it doesn't really matter because there's another one coming up in a minute. (Shades of Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker.) Then it ends with a hilariously protracted stunt that would be nearly the length of a full episode on TV.

I'm honestly no big fan of the sequel or Jackass 3D, but the first one is perfect in its own gross, stupid, low-fi way, and it's one of only a few movies* that have made me feel like I physically hurt myself laughing.

*Others: Pineapple Express, Brüno, This is the End

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 2, 2013

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Hell, Jackass 3D was inferior to 2, but the giant hand and the dildo gun over tiny city-models were two of the funniest things I've seen in a movie ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcpJLRqZ-g

Nobody could have ever delivered this line quite like Johnny Knoxville does:

quote:

Aaron's walking in, and we're gonna have him bring in a whole tray full of soup.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jackass needs Bam. Without him, who else would be the Bam of the group?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Ror posted:

His body takes it all for our entertainment. From Vanity Fair:

I saw a slow-motion video of that on Letterman. He flew up over the motorcycle and then came back down and landed right on the handlebars, direct hit to his cock. Brutal.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

I want the latter half of Ruby Sparks mixed with Smart House.

I want Eternal Sunshine meets Sex House.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Some trailers amplify your already sizable appetite for a movie. Others catch you off guard by letting you know a filmmaker or star you like has something new coming out that you didn't previously know about.

Still others just hit you from way out in left field. You never heard of this, you never heard of anybody involved with this, you don't even normally seek out this kind of movie (in this case, documentary), but you watch the trailer and you want it YESTERDAY.

Guess which one this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU

What an odd trailer. Three quarters of it is "My god, look how epic / exhilarating / intense / captivating these images are," and then the last quarter is "a personalized profile of a boy-on-the-brink."

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TTBF posted:

When my mom and I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, someone took out their cell phone and began talking during the main character's death scene.

Um.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

What's odd then, are the few widescreen shots in the trailer: These are cinemascope... And then this one is 16x9. Perhaps they will crop these for the final film.

Nah, the movie's in three different aspect ratios. What's throwing me is that a lot of these 4:3 shots look like actual pan-and-scan. Look at the broadcast tower at the edge of the frame in this cap; what's going on there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Exec 1: "But.. but we helped so many people! Isn't that what really matters?"

Boss: "...you're fired."

PriorMarcus posted:

This isn't how jobs work so gently caress him. It's good that he helped people if he thought the outcome would be anything other than loosing his job then he's a moron.
So nobody actually watched the video?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

Well umm.....you're not doing much better just sayin haha.

"Cannae" is Scottish slang for "cannot."

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

That would still be classically sexist. If Rashida Jones' character's existence is predicated upon being an object of someone else's affection, then you have a problem.

Maybe it'll be like Bedazzled and he'll learn that's not a healthy way to view a woman :shobon:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

That cue sucks though.

Surely you can't be talking about Hooked on a Feeling

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

yeah, that poo poo ain't autotuned.

Oh boy, I don't know about that.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

What a terrible song. Can't help but notice it's getting pulled down and not going over well in general.

People are wrong in general.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Dillbag posted:

It's always weird to see my hometown in films. Horns, Walking Tall, Insomnia, The Adventures of Natty Gann...

Between the prominence of the shoot and the single-screen movie theatre, I've always thought that town must be the place where the absolute largest percentage of the population has seen Insomnia.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bolek posted:

Was he a wispy little urchin in the book

Pretty much.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Kush posted:

And Whedon continues to only have two hands.

What's that referring to?

E: would also love to see these SMG bad-shot posts if anyone has them handy

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's weird how bad the fourth Fast movie is (Fast & Furious) sandwiched between all of Lin's other takes on the series. Tokyo Drift, and 5&6 are just a lot more fun tonally and have pretty good cinematography, while 4, despite bringing some of the cast back, is very dull and dour with a lot of REALLY bad CGI.

F&F spends too much time getting the old cast together again. Then its big action setpiece is a drive through a tight, dark, narrow corridor. It doesn't fit the strengths of the series at all, and it's about as cinematic as a colonoscopy, and also it looks like a colonoscopy

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

GOD DAMMIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Jake Gyllenhal follows Nightcrawler with... Accidental Love?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epDUAgttciA

This is a movie David O. Russell nearly finished shooting years ago. Then production completely disbanded after months of Russell getting dicked around by producers. The pivotal scene was left unfilmed. Who knows how they cobbled it together into a releasable form.

• Locked thread